P and O change/Cancellation policy

KatieMiddleton

Paying a deposit for something is a major decision and not to be taken lightly. When a cruise is going to total £7000 it is a major commitment.

The cruise could be sold on to another person under the P&O rules as it is well within the timescale allowed. The problem with this, in my opinion is that it is for three people and well in the distance timewise. Many people cruise as couples and it is probably easier to find a couple than three people. New buyers will want a discount and not want to pay the full £7000.

The cruise will go to a very much cheaper price nearer the date of sailing. The only solution I would say is would P&O accept booking two or more cruises over a longer timespan than twelve months. If you wanted to claim on insurance you would have to pay the balance at the due date £6100 and then provide a medical or other bona fide reason for cancellation just before sail date.

I am pretty certain the cheapest thing to do is cancel now and lose the deposit. Sadly £900 is not a lot of money in terms of fortnightly fly cruises to the Caribbean.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

They are the first to pull their fleet when the river is too high or too low. You then go from a wonderful river cruise to a coach and hotel holiday, and they do not refund. how do I know this when we were looking to book one I read the forums, read about the companies and the complaints about Viking were all like the above. We went with Avalon in the end.

That would be interesting if it ever went to court. It sounds to me like a significant material change, and you incur significant loss as a consequence. Those cruises are expensive, a coach trip down the Rhine and 7 nights in a Hotel wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive.

That would be interesting if it ever went to court. It sounds to me like a significant material change, and you incur significant loss as a consequence. Those cruises are expensive, a coach trip down the Rhine and 7 nights in a Hotel wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive.

I doubt there would be any point taking them to court. Viking aren't responsible for the level of the river, so consequential losses aren't their responsibility. If they do the best they can in accordance with the terms and conditions, then they've fulfilled their responsibilities.

In my experience, when the river level is wrong, you still sail in a Viking ship but have more coach trips. They wouldn't normally use hotels because it's cheaper and easier to use their own berths.

I know, but before booking our river cruise, I did wander across to the boards for river cruising and again and again people were on there complaining that because it had changed soo much it wasn't the holiday they booked, but Viking were not interested.

A lot of them would have been from the usa as well.

Avalon seemed a much better bet, but we wouldn't do another one, with any company.

I know, but before booking our river cruise, I did wander across to the boards for river cruising and again and again people were on there complaining that because it had changed soo much it wasn't the holiday they booked, but Viking were not interested.

A lot of them would have been from the usa as well.

Avalon seemed a much better bet, but we wouldn't do another one, with any company.

Why english lady? I have been tempted from time to time, then thought I could intellectually be out of my depth.

Cb

Why english lady? I have been tempted from time to time, then thought I could intellectually be out of my depth.

Cb

We went on a seven day river cruise with Avalon (Felicity). admittedly it was in November and the last cruise of the season, but we found it boring. We had the idea that it would cruise over night and spend the day in a city. For the first four days it arrived very early and left before the shops opened. The only entertainment on board was a pianist who could sing a bit. They brought a wood carver on board for a demonstration but that was tied in with an excursion to his shop in the Black forest. The cruise director Sabine was useless there were no quizzes, scavenger hunt or bingo (although I don't like it many people do) her voice was monotone and a total cure for insomnia. The good points the food was very good as were the staff. The scenery was wonderful but it was too cold to stay on deck. The clients were mainly American who were very friendly and nice, although many of them, their Idea of dressing for dinner was jogging bottoms and t-shirt. The ship started to run out of things like some types of beer, sweetener, and some other drinks. I very much doubt we would ever do another.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

We went on a seven day river cruise with Avalon (Felicity). admittedly it was in November and the last cruise of the season, but we found it boring. We had the idea that it would cruise over night and spend the day in a city. For the first four days it arrived very early and left before the shops opened. The only entertainment on board was a pianist who could sing a bit. They brought a wood carver on board for a demonstration but that was tied in with an excursion to his shop in the Black forest. The cruise director Sabine was useless there were no quizzes, scavenger hunt or bingo (although I don't like it many people do) her voice was monotone and a total cure for insomnia. The good points the food was very good as were the staff. The scenery was wonderful but it was too cold to stay on deck. The clients were mainly American who were very friendly and nice, although many of them, their Idea of dressing for dinner was jogging bottoms and t-shirt. The ship started to run out of things like some types of beer, sweetener, and some other drinks. I very much doubt we would ever do another.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Cb

Our reason for not doing another slightly different.

They are expensive..I think ours cost way over 2k each..did have a nice cabin though.

You flew to Amsterdam to join...decided we don't like flying now...

I think it was a 15 day cruise if I remember.

As we don't like the quizzes etc on an ocean ship that part did not worry us.

The main reason we would not do another-unless it has changed. It said open seating for dinner. What that meant was you had to go down at 8/8.30pm? something like that. You all sat where you liked, but it was all at the same time.

As the ceiling height was very low it was very noisy.

In the end we used to find one of the tables for 2 at the edges , as it was easier than trying to have a conversation with other people, when you could not hear them.

As you all sat down at the same time ,it would depend on your waiter how quickly/slowly you were served your meal. this would also apply to if you got free refills of the wine.

People may complain about the MDR's but trust they are better than on a river cruise boat.

You are very dependent on the river level as to whether you actually have a cruise or hotel/coach/hotel/coach holiday.

Entertainment was "local" lets say, but we didn't mind either way.

We had a lot of Aussies and New Zealanders on our cruise...cost them 2 arms and 2 legs and all their toes to do one..they seem to have the worst deal on any holiday.

You have a rep on board to iron things out...I think there were set excursions that were included in the cost, but you could pay extra and do something better.

There was somebody whose mother had mobility issues. the daughter quizzed the rep as to whether mother would be able to do the tour...yes he said.

they booked, paid..when it came to it, mother was not able to walk from the boat to where the coach was parked..was not next to it, up a bank/slope I think. Could not do the tour and rep would not refund.

As I said we were with Avalon. Viking are slightly cheaper I think, but that is only if you book and pay in full..could be a year before sailing. That locks the price. If you opted for deposit and pay later the price could and would raise.

then thought I could intellectually be out of my depth. Trust me, if you met me most of the world are intellectually better than me..but we all got on ok.

It was nice meeting people from other backgrounds..

I think one was a nuclear physicist ,who was a lovely old man to talk to.

No where near as formal as an ocean cruise.

Our reason for not doing another slightly different.

They are expensive..I think ours cost way over 2k each..did have a nice cabin though.

You flew to Amsterdam to join...decided we don't like flying now...

I think it was a 15 day cruise if I remember.

As we don't like the quizzes etc on an ocean ship that part did not worry us.

The main reason we would not do another-unless it has changed. It said open seating for dinner. What that meant was you had to go down at 8/8.30pm? something like that. You all sat where you liked, but it was all at the same time.

As the ceiling height was very low it was very noisy.

In the end we used to find one of the tables for 2 at the edges , as it was easier than trying to have a conversation with other people, when you could not hear them.

As you all sat down at the same time ,it would depend on your waiter how quickly/slowly you were served your meal. this would also apply to if you got free refills of the wine.

People may complain about the MDR's but trust they are better than on a river cruise boat.

You are very dependent on the river level as to whether you actually have a cruise or hotel/coach/hotel/coach holiday.

Entertainment was "local" lets say, but we didn't mind either way.

We had a lot of Aussies and New Zealanders on our cruise...cost them 2 arms and 2 legs and all their toes to do one..they seem to have the worst deal on any holiday.

You have a rep on board to iron things out...I think there were set excursions that were included in the cost, but you could pay extra and do something better.

There was somebody whose mother had mobility issues. the daughter quizzed the rep as to whether mother would be able to do the tour...yes he said.

they booked, paid..when it came to it, mother was not able to walk from the boat to where the coach was parked..was not next to it, up a bank/slope I think. Could not do the tour and rep would not refund.

As I said we were with Avalon. Viking are slightly cheaper I think, but that is only if you book and pay in full..could be a year before sailing. That locks the price. If you opted for deposit and pay later the price could and would raise.

then thought I could intellectually be out of my depth. Trust me, if you met me most of the world are intellectually better than me..but we all got on ok.

It was nice meeting people from other backgrounds..

I think one was a nuclear physicist ,who was a lovely old man to talk to.

No where near as formal as an ocean cruise.

Thank you

We had the OP's problem in 2009, my wife had cancer and we wanted to change a cruise. P&O were totally inflexible, even after 27 cruises with them loyalty meant nothing. We cancelled and lost our deposit, Celebrity got our cruise money instead!

I'm going on a River cruise (for the first time) - on the Rhone in September this year. Going with Riviera travel .....i think they are rather like the P & O of river cruising - cater mainly for the British market :)

One thing is for certain.....the River Rhone may run out of water, but the Rhone won't run out of wine......::D:D. I will be fine!

I wasn't easily placated on our river cruise, in fact I said I would never do another one. Dinner was at 6.15 or even as early as 5.30 on a couple of nights. I was bored out of my brains. Yes the scenery was quite attractive, but there was nothing to do. The excursions were reasonably interesting. The dinner times would be OK for those who like that time of eating, but we always choose 2nd sitting on an ocean cruise.

I wasn't easily placated on our river cruise, in fact I said I would never do another one. Dinner was at 6.15 or even as early as 5.30 on a couple of nights. I was bored out of my brains. Yes the scenery was quite attractive, but there was nothing to do. The excursions were reasonably interesting. The dinner times would be OK for those who like that time of eating, but we always choose 2nd sitting on an ocean cruise.

Heck Jean, that is an early time of eating. I'm not sure I could cope with 5 30 either. I am fine with the current dining of 6 30pm on P&O, would struggle if they brought it forward earlier, but would hate it this early.

Knowing how you feel about early dining, this must have been really awful for you - or was it this that started it off?

I think I am better suited to an ocean cruise as I enjoy a range of entertainment and venues available on ships.

Edited by Scriv

I thought it was just us, we have only ever done one river cruise. It was quite a shock after a sea cruise, a tiny cabin, the loo was like a caravan toilet, very little choice of food, and virtually no entertainment. Never again!

I have been very interested to read the reports on river cruising. It has been very illuminating. I can see what the attraction of a river cruise can be and that it appeals to many. We have been considering doing one. But given the possible problems some have encountered plus the descriptions of the style of a river cruise with respect to ambience, restrictions regarding food and flexibility and entertainment as compared with the cruises we have experienced, I really don't think it's for us either. Thank you all for your comparisons and input. I think it may have saved us from quite an expensive mistake.

Very Interesting reading for me!

But, as with Ocean cruising, i will go on my River cruise with an open mind, and with my glass (at least!) half full!

I am prepared for it being a very different experience and indeed am the "guinea pig" for my husband - he's not convinced it is for him, and for that reason I am going with a friend and leaving him at home to cat sit:D

The lack of entertainment won't bother me particularly (i think!) as I quite enjoy a bit of relaxation, but I guess that will depend partly of the age demographic of the other cruisers...my friend and I are just the wrong side of 60 but with minds of 20 somethings! (Shame about the bodies...)

Will report back when I get back at the end of September!

PS. sorry mods...we have gone a bit off topic havent we. But has thrown up an interesting fact that some river cruise lines demand full payment at the time of booking, and very harsh cancellation policies....

Edited by Mysticalmother

Yes MM go on your river cruise, and I do hope you enjoy it.

We liked the fact that you did tie up in the centre of towns/cities. It meant if you just wanted to wander around ,you could quite easily. We did not have water problems ,so it was just an unpack once and see different places . The cabin was lovely.

If we all liked the same thing it would be a strange world.

Do report back on your return..even up those of use us who have been a bit negative about things.

There will undoubtably be many positives MM and I'm sure with your positive approach you will have a great time. But I too will be very interested to hear your views on your return and the comparisons which you will be able to make. So helpful to benefit from others' views - some we will chime with our particualar preferences and needs, others will not. But that's the value of this and other forums, we can each tease out the important things for us. Have a fab time, enjoy that German wine and I look forward to hearing all about it.

Heck Jean, that is an early time of eating. I'm not sure I could cope with 5 30 either. I am fine with the current dining of 6 30pm on P&O, would struggle if they brought it forward earlier, but would hate it this early.

Knowing how you feel about early dining, this must have been really awful for you - or was it this that started it off?

I think I am better suited to an ocean cruise as I enjoy a range of entertainment and venues available on ships.

Hi Barbara

Yes, can you imagine? I mean if you wanted a drink before dinner, it was at 5 o'clock. We were also on a lower deck and I could smell the bilges. I imagine if it was a very expensive river cruise then maybe the ship would be better. We both felt the same about it and my husband is usually easier to please than me!!

There will undoubtably be many positives MM and I'm sure with your positive approach you will have a great time. But I too will be very interested to hear your views on your return and the comparisons which you will be able to make. So helpful to benefit from others' views - some we will chime with our particualar preferences and needs, others will not. But that's the value of this and other forums, we can each tease out the important things for us. Have a fab time, enjoy that German wine and I look forward to hearing all about it.

...not too sure about the German wine.......the Rhone is in France! 😂😂 LoL !

Hi Barbara

Yes, can you imagine? I mean if you wanted a drink before dinner, it was at 5 o'clock. We were also on a lower deck and I could smell the bilges. I imagine if it was a very expensive river cruise then maybe the ship would be better. We both felt the same about it and my husband is usually easier to please than me!!

Jean - I never have a problem with a 5 oclock preprandial glass.........! :D

We have booked a cabin on the top deck, with a Juliette Balcony so hopefully we won't suffer from the bilges...

The advantage for me on this particular cruise is that we are travelling on Eurostar/TGV both ways....so I dont have to fly....

MM we have done two river cruises with Riveria, the first on the Rhone in September throughly enjoyed it, wonderful weather, scenery, food and trips. Never ate before 7 and sometimes about 8. Like freedom dining on P&O, but very few tables for two. Loved being moored in the centre of the towns/villages, everyday had an included trip, which you didn't have to do. Last year we did The Blue Danube starting in Budapest, again a wonderful holiday. Highly recommend. More "sedate" then Ocean cruising much slower pace but so relaxing. Never had a problem with water levels and Riveria's organisation was excellent, great staff and plenty of information about places visited. You could do as much or as little as you liked. Cabin with Juliette balcony was more than adequate, much bigger bathroom then P&O.