Aqua Benefits vs. Standard Balcony... and I don't mean blu

lilghallinsf

We have stayed in Aqua class for two transatlantics and love it but the price difference is so much greater this time that I am having a hard time justifying the difference in price.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the some of the "perk" differences specifically in reference to:

The robes

Towels

Room Service

Pillow Menu

Yes, I know that everyone loves Blu, so do we but for us it isn't worth the difference in price. I know we won't have daily Hor D'oeuvres. They are nice but rarely that good and I am perfectly capable of walking up the stairs to get my own. The flowers are nice but not that special AT ALL. We get the drinks package so the wine does nothing for us. Love the shower but I think I can live without.

So other than these obvious things (don't need the daily water), what are the differences?

Okay, so you ruled out Blu.

Number two for me would be access to the Persian gardens.

I think the shower is nice, the robes and pillows and towels and room service are only slightly better if really at all. Many have said just write it in on the room service menu anyway.

And there is no more daily water!

We also fell in love with Aqua Class, but the prices on cruises these days are so outrageously inflated due to all the 'free' perks that for our next three cruises we have opted for a lower category. Would rather cruise more often than splurge on one! We even are going back to an oceanview for one of the cruises as it was around $800 versus $2200 for Aqua Class. I kid you not. I know I will miss the balcony, but we could take two of those cruises for the price of one (and in fact, we are doing just that - doing a B2B in OV for the price of AQ on one of the cruises. We admittedly got a good deal - the cabin has since risen to $1200 but you get my point)

We rarely order room service so the menu difference is minor for us. There is ample choice on the regular menu for standard menu items.

The only kind of pillows we prefer are feather rather than foam. We have never had an issue requesting them regardless of room type so that is not an issue either.

The heavier robes are nice, particularly if traveling on cooler itineraries like Alaska. Some actually prefer the lighter weight regular robes.

The showers are a bit nicer in AQ, but definitely not enough to justify twice the price.

The only other perk besides Blu is the spa area. On M class, it is less than impressive. On S class it is much nicer, but as we don't spend a lot of time there anyway it is not a game changer for us.

Giving up Blu is what we will miss most (and the balcony on our OV's!). We love the breakfasts in particular, and the more attentive and personalized service at dinner (particularly on M class - on S class the tables are jammed so close together that it is less relaxing IMHO)

Since part of the discussion is about the Persian Garden I just got this response from Celebrity today hen I asked about the cost. If that is what you really miss you can just add it.

For the Constellation, access for the Persian Garden can be obtained at the Spa Desk in increments of 1-day ($25), 3-day ($50), and 6-day($75) passes per person once you are onboard. These do not have to be consecutive days. For longer access during your entire cruise, your spa attendants can tailor a package for you.

Thank you all so much. I think I am having the same reaction. The things I enjoyed about Aqua just don't seem

Worth the extra investment this time. I had rather out the money toward something more substantial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think itinerary is a factor when choosing rooms....Lots of sea days or ports you have previously visited then you are more likely to spend time in Persian Gardens, on your veranda, enjoying leisurely breakfasts and dinners. Port intensive cruises where you intend to be off ship for many hours, including some dining off ship (overnight stops) then the less important room and perks become...

In 2013 we were in a deck 9, C2 on the angle, bigger balcony.

In 2014 a deck 8, 2A again on the angle.

Last Nov was our first Aqua 2 on deck 11, and found we missed the extra balcony space the most.

Our avg per day cost p.p. was within $10 of each yr. but the end cost was less for 2015 since we had classic, grats, and double OBC included in the fare. Only had the Classic included in 13/14.

Bottom line for us is that per day cost and the items attached, not so much the cabin category.

EW

Why are you asking your question when you already have done two cruises in Aqua class? Blu is the major reason for booking Aqua class. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of it. Other than the special shower and Blu I didn't see much difference in spending the extra money. But we both thoroughly enjoyed the Blu experience.

We had an Aqua Class Stateroom on the Reflection in October.

The towels provided were no different then what we've received on previous cruises when we had an interior or regular balcony cabin.

The robes were nicer as they were more plush.

Couldn't find the pillow menu; however, we've never had a problem requesting different pillows regardless of the room category.

The room service menu was slightly better. I believe there were some smoothies and a few different types of omelettes included.

Okay, so you ruled out Blu.

Number two for me would be access to the Persian gardens.

I think the shower is nice, the robes and pillows and towels and room service are only slightly better if really at all. Many have said just write it in on the room service menu anyway.

And there is no more daily water!

Thank you very much. Yes we love the persian gardens as well, but find that we rarely use them. On our last 15 night cruise we went three times. That was because we forced ourselves to use them. I have budgeting in the daily fee if I do choose to go in.

We also fell in love with Aqua Class, but the prices on cruises these days are so outrageously inflated due to all the 'free' perks that for our next three cruises we have opted for a lower category. Would rather cruise more often than splurge on one! We even are going back to an oceanview for one of the cruises as it was around $800 versus $2200 for Aqua Class. I kid you not. I know I will miss the balcony, but we could take two of those cruises for the price of one (and in fact, we are doing just that - doing a B2B in OV for the price of AQ on one of the cruises. We admittedly got a good deal - the cabin has since risen to $1200 but you get my point)

We rarely order room service so the menu difference is minor for us. There is ample choice on the regular menu for standard menu items.

The only kind of pillows we prefer are feather rather than foam. We have never had an issue requesting them regardless of room type so that is not an issue either.

The heavier robes are nice, particularly if traveling on cooler itineraries like Alaska. Some actually prefer the lighter weight regular robes.

The showers are a bit nicer in AQ, but definitely not enough to justify twice the price.

The only other perk besides Blu is the spa area. On M class, it is less than impressive. On S class it is much nicer, but as we don't spend a lot of time there anyway it is not a game changer for us.

Giving up Blu is what we will miss most (and the balcony on our OV's!). We love the breakfasts in particular, and the more attentive and personalized service at dinner (particularly on M class - on S class the tables are jammed so close together that it is less relaxing IMHO)

Thank you for your thoughts. We rarely get up for breakfast so the Blu breakfast we won't miss.

I was also wondering about the robes, towels but it doesn't sound like that big of an issue.

Why are you asking your question when you already have done two cruises in Aqua class? Blu is the major reason for booking Aqua class. Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of it. Other than the special shower and Blu I didn't see much difference in spending the extra money. But we both thoroughly enjoyed the Blu experience.

Thank you for your reply. The reason I posted is because I wanted someone other than my own opinion. Isn't that why we ask questions?

In 2013 we were in a deck 9, C2 on the angle, bigger balcony.

In 2014 a deck 8, 2A again on the angle.

Last Nov was our first Aqua 2 on deck 11, and found we missed the extra balcony space the most.

Our avg per day cost p.p. was within $10 of each yr. but the end cost was less for 2015 since we had classic, grats, and double OBC included in the fare. Only had the Classic included in 13/14.

Bottom line for us is that per day cost and the items attached, not so much the cabin category.

EW

We also had one of the larger "bump" balconies and that is worth every penny. The great thing is that I can find those in Aqua and the "basic" balcony.

Thanks for your reply.

As one who has done more than his share in Aqua (and have it booked again on a future cruise) we think that other than Blu, Aqua is nearly worthless! Yes, you get a heavier robe (DW says its too heavy for a warm climate) and so what! You no longer get a pillow menu, and now you get an AMAZING 2 tiny bottles of no-name water per cruise. The Room Service menu is somewhat expanded, but the fresh squeezed Orange Juice has now disappeared. So if having more egg options in the morning are worth X number of dollars per day, than book Aqua. We also think that the Aqua cabin locations (on S Class ships) are not in particularly good areas. A majority are right under the pool deck (where you can hear chairs being moved) and in the huge shadow of the overhang from the above deck. The regular hump balconies on lower decks are a better value as are nearly any balcony on a lower deck (avoid the deck right above the life boats).

So if you take Blu out of the mix (and our recent experience in Blu was not so great) the one would have to ask, "why pay extra for Aqua" Personally, we can no longer provide a good answer to this question, and if we find a way to downgrade our Aqua reservation to a regular balcony (without sacrificing the booking amenities we received) we would change the reservation in a heartbeat. The new CEO of Celebrity ("Lisa") seems to have worked hard to make Aqua nearly worthless (when compared to well located regular balconies) ...and we think she has succeeded. We would love to chat face to face with the CEO and hear why she now thinks that Aqua is worth anything over regular balconies. Our recommendation is to book a well located regular balcony and negotiate for some discounts in a few alternative restaurants for a change of pace.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

A little over a year ago, I cruised 4 weeks consecutively on Reflection with the first 2 weeks in Blu, and the second 2 in the MDR. I was surprised to discover the food was the same (good), merely different presentation and names. Breakfast in Blu is lovely, but I actually like room service better (I'm a bit of a slug in the morning). And as someone has already mentioned, you can write-in almost anything on the breakfast door hanger. The shower in AQ is nice but not worth $2K. ;)

A little over a year ago, I cruised 4 weeks consecutively on Reflection with the first 2 weeks in Blu, and the second 2 in the MDR. I was surprised to discover the food was the same (good), merely different presentation and names. Breakfast in Blu is lovely, but I actually like room service better (I'm a bit of a slug in the morning). And as someone has already mentioned, you can write-in almost anything on the breakfast door hanger. The shower in AQ is nice but not worth $2K. ;)

I'm surprised you were surprised. Not everyone loves Blu and for good reasons. The food in the MDR is as good; the ambiance we liked in Blu was lacking recently on the Eclipse, and the service could be non existent. I've said it more than once but a good balcony and specialty restaurants are the best combination. The Aqua foot stools, showers, and robes are nice but surely not worth the money. Breakfast in Blu? I at there perhaps three times in a 23 day cruise, my wife not once. For us it's not even a consideration. Check the prices for Aqua cabins over Christmas 2016, but be sure you're sitting when you do.:p.

We've sailed in AQ about 4-5 times, and just got back a week ago from another trip on Slhouette. We really didn't enjoy the menus in Blu this time, and ended up eating at specialty restaurants 3 nights out of 7. I think that for future cruises, we'll do a regular balcony.

We always book AQUA so I'll give you my 2 cents based on our last cruise - Reflection in Sept 2015.

The robes - had to ask for them. Poor quality - worn out - totally different than when we started in Aqua years ago

Towels - mostly poor, and especially the bathroom floor mats. Occasionally we received the so-called suite towels that are large and fluffy. But most of the time they were smaller and thin. Real hit and miss.

Room Service - sorry, don't use it

Pillow Menu - have NEVER seen one on any trip. Seems like this is something the cabin stewards don't want to get into. I know, others will say the opposite but this is what I saw. If asked, they would ask what we wanted but no menu to pick from.

Don't know if that helps but that is my experience.

We always book AQUA so I'll give you my 2 cents based on our last cruise - Reflection in Sept 2015.

The robes - had to ask for them. Poor quality - worn out - totally different than when we started in Aqua years ago

Towels - mostly poor, and especially the bathroom floor mats. Occasionally we received the so-called suite towels that are large and fluffy. But most of the time they were smaller and thin. Real hit and miss.

Pillow Menu - have NEVER seen one on any trip. Seems like this is something the cabin stewards don't want to get into. I know, others will say the opposite but this is what I saw. If asked, they would ask what we wanted but no menu to pick from.

Thank you very much.. Obviously all of this is based on experience and every trip seems to be different for everyone. One person asked why I was asking and it was to get differing opinions. If the price difference weren't so great, I would do aqua but I can't justify it this year. Believe it or not, our first cruise on Celebrity and reflection was inside cabin so many they would think Aqua was a major step up. It is really about the value for me. If I can get have just as wonderful an experience without the price I am all for it. Funny that someone mentioned the footstool because I thought that would be something that I missed. I just don't want to book a two week cruise only to find myself and my partner saying everyday what we miss. I appreciate all of the honest feedback.

We had the same experience on Millennium in October. The towels were small and thin and not the large towels we had had previously in AQU. There are no longer flowers in the room or the upgraded bath products. We had the unlimited bottled water but now that has gone away.