Explorer of the Seas Virtual Balcony?

yogimax

We've never booked one of these rooms and I'm sure someone more qualified will jump in, but I've seen reviews and video.

The balconies look like giant TVs to me. One nice thing is you can see "outside" sort of and, even though you are inside, you can get a semblance of what's happening outside and the room will slowly light up as it gets light outside; or dark.

I don't know anything about the pricing of these room, but I'd pick even a partially obscured balcony over virtual balcony if the price was within a few hundred $$$.

You can also see outside the ship on the TV (on one of the channels) so you could almost duplicate the experience and not pay the premium.

Of course, as I said, I don't have any personal experience so these are just my opinions from talking to others and seeing reviews.

Tom

I have been looking at a cruise on Explorer and see there are virtual balconies available. Has anyone had experience with these? Are they good or not so good?

Been on Anthem and they have this. The stateroom attendance leave it on all day and turn it off at night. You can turn it back on at night, this way if it bright outside you know it morning. When t rainy outside, you can give light tap to it and you could make lighting on it

We had a virtual balcony on the Navigator a few years ago. We loved it. It is the only inside room I have ever had and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The monitor provides some light and even if it is an artificial "window" you can see and even hear, what is going on outside. Granted, we had an accessible room, so it was larger than a normal inside room but I really thought the virtual balcony was a winner.

They provide you with curtains b/c even when the monitor is turned off, there is still a slight "glow" but when you pull the curtains it is completely shut out and completely dark.

I highly recommend this room category. I think it's a "J". I didn't realize that Explorer had them yet.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one on Explorer & loved it. Don't get me wrong I'd choose a real balcony first if price was right, but this was a very good alternative. I think the view you get is assigned by the side of the ship your cabin is on, in our case starboard. It was always on & at night the cabin attendant would close the curtains over it just like a normal window. Being dark at night you couldn't really see anything but it was great by day. It was full floor to ceiling height & the clarity & perspective was really great. It was really handy when pulling in or out of ports if you were inside your room & could keep an eye on what was going on outside. Also as a bonus, it kinda made the room appear a bit bigger too.

We had one on Navigator last month. I loved it. One morning I was wondering if we were in port yet and there it is on the screen! It didn't cost a lot more than an inside w/o it. You can turn it off or cover with the curtains if you don't want the light at night.

Can you switch the view that is displayed between port and starboard? or is it fixed?

We stayed in a Virtual Balcony on the Anthem last month. We were in a Port Side, Interior, Mid-ship, Deck 12 cabin on the Anthem. When we were at sea, the view was from an aft camera displaying the wake. When we were in port, it displayed a side view.

We had no seen option to change which camera would be used.

They are VERY realistic, so much that I found myself sitting there watching the aft wake. I also kept going to close the curtains while in port if I was going to change my clothes. I also bumped my head trying to look below. lol

I had one on navigator a few years ago. Loved it! You can't change the view but it's nice to be able to see something outside. Can't see much at night though. It's mostly black.

As is the case for a balcony looking out from inside, the view is almost always total darkness. Balcony views at night seem best when you are able to go out on them.

Can you switch the view that is displayed between port and starboard? or is it fixed?

The view is fixed and depends where on the ship your cabin is as to which feed you get.Had one on voyager in December loved it great for seeing when you wake up if you are docked and what the weather is doing.

Been on Anthem and they have this. The stateroom attendance leave it on all day and turn it off at night. You can turn it back on at night, this way if it bright outside you know it morning. When t rainy outside, you can give light tap to it and you could make lighting on it

We had one on the Explorer last year...we had booked an inside guarantee cabin and we were allocated a virtual balcony cabin. We loved it.

The stateroom attendant would close the curtains at night. We would open them up and it was dark ( because it was night time, they weren't turned off)

In the morning, when it was light outside, it would wake us up. No need for a wake up call.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The view is fixed and depends where on the ship your cabin is as to which feed you get.Had one on voyager in December loved it great for seeing when you wake up if you are docked and what the weather is doing.

Our Virtual view on the Anthem changed depending if we sailing at sea, or in port. While at sea it showed an aft view, and while in port it showed the port. Perhaps the Voyager has a different set up.

Anyone know what is on deck 9 interior rooms between some of the rooms like 9597 & 9601, etc.? There is a space on the deck plans & I just wondered.. Trying to book a room close to my Sister..

We were in 9601 on Navigator last month. I wondered the same thing. One rough night we heard 2 very LOUD noises. This is totally a guess of mine, but it sounded like one of those carts that the room attendants push fell over. I would be curious to see if anyone else knows. Kris