Power strip with NO surge protection

abcoltsfan

Thanks. I was just coming here to post that I found that exact same page and share for anyone else looking.

I hope they confiscate it and throw it out! It is a true hazard and I don't appreciate my family's or my safety being compromised because some people don't follow the rules. This isn't a case of Carnival worrying about losing revenue such as the Cheers package or whatever. People's lives are at stake. Just because it hasn't caused a problem before doesn't mean it won't the next time.

Lighten up Fella

I've been on 29 Carnival cruises and always pack a power strip WITH surge protection and have never had an issue. So my advice is to not worry about this.

This is a new rule as of a few weeks ago after a surge protector caused a fire on a ship with an electrical systems similar to the one Carnival uses.

The marine industry has known of this problem for a couple of years, as the USCG Safety Notice is from 2013:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

Carnival has changed their wording of prohibited items about a year ago, and they are about the only line to specifically list surge suppressors as the culprit that everyone is looking for, when they take power strips away.

Here is a top notch description of what happens to surge suppressors when used in marine electrical systems, by a CC member who didn't believe me and researched it himself, and now understands and agrees:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

I implore people not to take surge suppressors onboard ships. CaveDivings post describes how a surge suppressor that is apparently operating normally, and powering your appliances, when exposed to repeated low voltage (below the "protection" or "clamping" voltage the suppressor is designed to protect against) in the reverse direction to what is normal in shoreside wiring, can suddenly fail and burst into flames. The more you use a surge suppressor onboard ships, the more dangerous they become.

I am currently working on researching USB chargers that are not surge suppressors, but it requires digging into the manufacturers' websites, because not all retail website descriptions are detailed enough.

At present, my recommendation would be an inexpensive Walmart or Home Depot power strip, and your "wall wart" USB port that comes with each device. These individual chargers are not surge suppressors.

Lighten up Fella

I'm not a "Fella", but I have the right to not get killed by a fire caused by some schmuck that blatantly disregards the rules so they can charge their devices. There are plenty of safe alternatives, yet some think that the rules don't apply to them and they can get away with it because they always have.

Just because someone has been doing something for years without ill effects doesn't mean it won't eventually catch up with them. All it takes is that one time. Pay specific attention to the last paragraph of post #28.

I received a response from Zilutech about their USB chargers. The one linked to Amazon below specifically does not include a surge suppressor, but be warned that others in their line do have surge suppressors. It wasn't clear even on their website, which is why I contacted them.

I feel so strongly about this, that I am researching this while on my ship, with spotty and limited internet, just to get safe products to CC members. I make no recommendation concerning the actual performance of this unit, but it does not have a surge suppressor, and has 5 USB ports (enough for anyone).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V33RCTU

I am from Canada and was having trouble finding a USB charger without surge protection the first one I bought looked amazing but when it arrived and I was reading the owners manual it said it was surge protected so I found this one today on amazon.ca pretty sure the US site will have something similar

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PL53CVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Edited by maggie0057

I have a Belkin brand - it's not a strip, but rather a bar that plugs right into the outlet. Mine only has two outlets, giving only one additional, but it also has 2 USB ports.

I went back and double-checked mine - it is not a Belkin (I guess that was the old one) - it is a Philips.

I found the link on amazon, but it doesn't mention surge protection. Can I assume that if it is not mentioned, either on the packaging or in the product description, that it is not surge protected?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ultra-Slim-Multiple-Outlet/dp/B00U9QHIA0

If I can't have a powerbar.... these taps come in handy when travelling....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Axis-45090-3-Outlet-Wall-Adapter/21054196

They are affordable and take up less luggage space without the cord.

That's what we use. However, we make sure that we unplug it and hide it after using it. We don't want the cabin steward to take it.

Can someone please clarify. I have found a power strip that has the circuit breaker on it. But does not indicate surge protector. Is this the same thing or would the circuit breaker be ok? Does the packaging have to say surge protector for it not be allowed? Im confused now. TIA

A circuit breaker is designed to trip and cut off power when the current is too high for the amperage a device is rated for. A surge protector works by monitoring voltage and absorb the extra energy due to the spike so not the same thing. All that being said you would think a circuit breaker would be ok but I think that question needs to be answered by the cruise line

I went back and double-checked mine - it is not a Belkin (I guess that was the old one) - it is a Philips.

I found the link on amazon, but it doesn't mention surge protection. Can I assume that if it is not mentioned, either on the packaging or in the product description, that it is not surge protected?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ultra-Slim-Multiple-Outlet/dp/B00U9QHIA0

The descriptions on the various websites, even the manufacturer's websites are not that clear. What they list as "technical specifications" sometimes are just the dimensions. However, if the packaging nor the product itself mentions surge protection, you can reasonably assume it doesn't. As noted, you can e-mail the manufacturer, which is what I am in the process of doing for several types that aren't clear in the descriptions.

Can someone please clarify. I have found a power strip that has the circuit breaker on it. But does not indicate surge protector. Is this the same thing or would the circuit breaker be ok? Does the packaging have to say surge protector for it not be allowed? Im confused now. TIA

A circuit breaker is designed to trip and cut off power when the current is too high for the amperage a device is rated for. A surge protector works by monitoring voltage and absorb the extra energy due to the spike so not the same thing. All that being said you would think a circuit breaker would be ok but I think that question needs to be answered by the cruise line

A circuit breaker is fine, just know that a US consumer power strip with a circuit breaker will only open one leg of the two power legs, since US residential wiring has the neutral and ground at the same potential. However, ship's power has both conducting wires above the ground potential, so a circuit breaker that only opens one leg can still present a danger of over current flowing in the other leg. This is not too serious of a problem, as the ship's circuit breaker will open both legs when it goes, but something to be aware of, and if you can purchase a European 220v power strip, with universal outlets, this will open both legs.

If the packaging or the power strip itself does not say surge suppressor, or words to the effect of "so many joules of protection" or "so many clamping volts", and it does not have a little light that says "protected" (a light on the circuit breaker/on-off switch is okay), then you are pretty safe that it is not surge protected.

The descriptions on the various websites, even the manufacturer's websites are not that clear. What they list as "technical specifications" sometimes are just the dimensions. However, if the packaging nor the product itself mentions surge protection, you can reasonably assume it doesn't. As noted, you can e-mail the manufacturer, which is what I am in the process of doing for several types that aren't clear in the descriptions.

I'll bet a lot of VW diesel owners used to reasonably assume that their cars met or exceeded the pollution standards. Turns out that they did exceed the pollution standards, just not in a good way.

I am from Canada and was having trouble finding a USB charger without surge protection the first one I bought looked amazing but when it arrived and I was reading the owners manual it said it was surge protected so I found this one today on amazon.ca pretty sure the US site will have something similar

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PL53CVS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Sorry this took so long to answer, hope you haven't purchased this. I received a response from the manufacturer, and all of their iclever USB chargers are surge protected.

You don't really need a power strip; try an extension cord with three outlets or just a three outlet thing to plug in. (don't know what to call it) I know it is possible to get one of those things with six outlets, but then you need to plug it into two (hope that makes sense). I can't remember if there are two regular outlets one above the other or not available or not

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power strip that does not have surge protection. I know that is Carnivals policy and have been looking to find one to buy, but everything I have found is surge protected. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am thinking one of the things you plug into your normal wall outlet at home and a couple of double USB chargers and we will be good to go. That way we can charge two phones (we use the camera) and both tablets with no problems. Everything else seems to have surge protection built in and I have seen what a power surge on a boat can do to the battery switch on a surf boat so I don't want to take any chances

Edited by maggie0057

Not sure about that particular unit, because the Merkury Innovations website doesn't list this item. Their unit with 4 AC outlets and 2 USB ports is, however, surge protected. I note that the 4 outlet one has a small LED, while the single outlet one does not, so the single outlet one may not be surge protected. Have you purchased this one and looked at the product description?

Given the price range, it probably isn't surge protected.

Thanks