Power strip with NO surge protection

abcoltsfan

I have this and I love it. Very travel friendly. Does not have a surge protector.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

We have this one too. We really like it, especially on ships, because the orientation of the plug is so flexible. The "bar" style ones don't always work out on ships depending upon how close to the wall the outlet is.

we got one by workforce at Walmart is not a surge protection was cheap. It is very selfish and inconsiderate and stupid I see some refuse to comply with the rules because they think they know better or are smarter it doesn't show you are smarter just the opposite just hard headed We need to think of the safety of others around us 1st

another idea since we all have smart phones and many will want to keep them charged up we went to Walmart, other stores have the too, but we got a small gadget that allows you to plug to phones into one outlet to charge up they also have another gadget that can charge you phone up with out being plugged into the wall it will give up to 2 full charges before it has to be charged back up

I'll bet a lot of VW diesel owners used to reasonably assume that their cars met or exceeded the pollution standards. Turns out that they did exceed the pollution standards, just not in a good way.

I just sold my 2012 Jetta TDI with 140k miles to my daughter. It's been the most flawless car we've ever had besides the FJ Cruiser. Volkswagen does have themselves in a pickle.

To the topic on the board; After loosing a bunch of weight I still have the CPAP machine. We are aboard the Magic right now and our cabin steward saw the fan and CPAP machine and brought me what I thought was an extension cord. Turns out it's a Trip Lite surge protector with a ten foot cord.

Go figure...

Edited by BallFour4

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power strip that does not have surge protection. I know that is Carnivals policy and have been looking to find one to buy, but everything I have found is surge protected. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Most double adaptors do not have surge protection.

Sent from my ZTE Fit 4G Smart using Tapatalk

I'm not a "Fella", but I have the right to not get killed by a fire caused by some schmuck that blatantly disregards the rules so they can charge their devices. There are plenty of safe alternatives, yet some think that the rules don't apply to them and they can get away with it because they always have.

Don't you think you're hollering a little loud for something that is a one in a million chance of happening? Do you wrap your family in bubble wrap every time they leave the house?

Don't you think you're hollering a little loud for something that is a one in a million chance of happening? Do you wrap your family in bubble wrap every time they leave the house?

I feel that the USCG Safety Notice is akin to an automobile recall. I treat it the same way. I get it fixed as soon as possible, and minimize exposure until it is fixed.

Yes, inexpensive power strips won't have things like "so many joules of protection" or "so much clamping voltage" noted on the packaging. If you want to go online, monster brand power strips have some that are not surge suppressors. If you want USB ports, or combination outlet and USB, "powercube-usa.com" has an entire line that are not surge suppressors.

And, yes, virtually every Belkin "wall wart" is a surge suppressor, and should not be used, whether it has gotten by security or not. It is not safe.

Thank you for posting this, I have a belkin one and had no idea that it had a surge suppressor! Time to find something else!

We have this one too. We really like it, especially on ships, because the orientation of the plug is so flexible. The "bar" style ones don't always work out on ships depending upon how close to the wall the outlet is.

Just picked this up from Amazon. Nice compact power strip. Thanks. :)

• 3 months later...
Sorry this took so long to answer, hope you haven't purchased this. I received a response from the manufacturer, and all of their iclever USB chargers are surge protected.

Including this one?

http://www.amazon.com/iClever-BoostCube-Charger-SmartID-Foldable/dp/B01D9RTZMO/ref=pd_sim_107_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41kR5N7TZiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0KKVDHGABK95XAYC6QNB

I am confused how a device can have surge protection if there is no ground post. Help!

I've reached out to a few manufacturers, asking if what they call surge protection is merely overvoltage control, but I'm not getting a lot of responses lately. I'm starting to believe that these multi-USB chargers are okay. Hopefully will get some answers soon, and I'll post some answers here when I do.

I found one of these at Radio Shack and it worked great on my last cruise.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z9KCMCK/ref=twister_B017QUGMOE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

One advantage is that you can turn it around if the plugs are oriented differently. I had a wonderful tap that worked perfectly on Fascination:

P1000137_zps19tcvgsd.jpg

But my last cruise was on MSC Divina, and the outlets were sideways, so that one was a no-go:

Divina10_zpsimhuxegz.jpg

The cube worked perfectly here.

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I've reached out to a few manufacturers, asking if what they call surge protection is merely overvoltage control, but I'm not getting a lot of responses lately. I'm starting to believe that these multi-USB chargers are okay. Hopefully will get some answers soon, and I'll post some answers here when I do.

Thank you. You are doing a good service. I also believe there is a confusion between a thermal fuse and surge protection at the manufacturer's level... at the very least in marketing.

I'm surprised to read they are still allowing small fans. Last I sailed (5 years ago) they were supposedly in the process of banning fans along with the bottled water. I came back to see bottled water gone, I assumed the fans were too. Happy to know my little fan can go on board with me even though my water can't.

We have 4 phones that will need to charge over night plus the fan will need to be plugged in, I can't remember how many plugs are in a standar OV. Is it just one set over by the nightstand? Isn't there another set in the bathroom? 2 kids could always charge their phones on the bathroom sink if needed, we could set a basket there to keep them in place.

I currently have some wall adapters that have 3 plugs and 2 usb ports from phillips that just fit flush to the wall but I know they have surge protectors since they say protected along the top with a light. I will have to pick up an alternative before our cruise in Oct. Need one that has a plug for the fan and USB ports for at least 2 more phones.

I REALLY love my Belkin travel charger, but since the manufacturer indicates it has surge protection and therefore wouldn't meet Carnival's recent change in policy to match the USCG, I've been searching for a replacement, like many of you.

I wanted something that would have two or three outlets and a couple of USB ports. I found this at Staples: http://www.staples.com/Plugable-5-2-Outlet-Desktop-Power-Strip-with-4-Port-USB-Charger-Matte-Black-PS2-USB4-/product_IM11N4671?akamai-feo=off

The description specifically says it is not surge protected.

I then went to Amazon to see if they sell it for less. They do, but there was language about it being "grounded with overcurrent surge protection", so I went right to the manufacturers web page and it specifically says, again, while grounded, it does NOT have surge protection. I think I'll trust the manufacturer. http://plugable.com/products/ps2-usb4. The unit has an on/off switch, but no surge indicator light.

If anyone wants to look up this power adapter on Amazon, it can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-2-Outlet-Universal-Charger-Compatible/dp/B00QHPQWMC?ie=UTF8&keywords=Plugable%205%27%202-Outlet%20Desktop%20Power%20Strip%20with%204-Port%20USB%20Charger%2C%20Matte%20Black&qid=1463948136&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Just off the Miracle yesterday. My power strip was taken by my cabin steward. I was confused by this as my power strip didn't have surge protection. I thought I was complying to their policy but when I asked the guest services I was told that mine didn't have a circuit breaker therefore not safe to use onboard. They let me borrow one of theirs so I took a picture of it and found it on Amazon. It isn't cheap but to follow their policy this is what is acceptable.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just off the Miracle yesterday. My power strip was taken by my cabin steward. I was confused by this as my power strip didn't have surge protection. I thought I was complying to their policy but when I asked the guest services I was told that mine didn't have a circuit breaker therefore not safe to use onboard. They let me borrow one of theirs so I took a picture of it and found it on Amazon. It isn't cheap but to follow their policy this is what is acceptable.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Medical-Grade-Patient-Care-PS-615-HG-OEM/dp/B00140S836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I guess I'll just buy one of those, since it's the one they use I know it's in compliance. I can just use the plug adaptors we have for the phones to charge them. I would rather have something I know will be allowed and safe than play the guessing game, even if I have to pay a little more for it.

Thank you for posting the pic and info.