cab or car service?

Scooter girl 58

Hi,

My friend and I will be sailing on the Anthem in May. I was wondering how easy it is to get a cab at Cape Liberty back to Manhattan. We are from the UK and don't fly back until late evening. Our plan is to book a day room in Manhattan and go to JFK from there. Would you advise to book a car service or just get a cab, we will have two quite large suitcases and a small mobility scooter [pride go go]. I don't need an adapted car and it all fits in medium to large UK sedan trunk.

Thank you.

Hi,

My friend and I will be sailing on the Anthem in May. I was wondering how easy it is to get a cab at Cape Liberty back to Manhattan. We are from the UK and don't fly back until late evening. Our plan is to book a day room in Manhattan and go to JFK from there. Would you advise to book a car service or just get a cab, we will have two quite large suitcases and a small mobility scooter [pride go go]. I don't need an adapted car and it all fits in medium to large UK sedan trunk.

Thank you.

I believe a car service would be the best choice, but I would run your question by the experts in the East Coast Departures forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

Hi,

Thank you.

Nj and nyc are tricky. car service is available but it high prices. There is van/shuttle service that people used because it cheaper. I would look into airport shuttle that have cruise in the package as well. I never done the but that what i saw in the pier there. just need to google it or wait till someone recommend you the good van shuttle.

Hi,

Thank you.

You should book a reliable car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo both from Cape Liberty to Manhattan and Manhattan to JFK.

What do you plan to do in Manhattan for the day?

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. We intend to book a day room at the Millenium Hilton, and tickets for the New world trade center, go to the 9/11 memorial, see the new transport hub (if it's open by then) maybe see the Woolworth building if we have time. We will be staying in times square for 5 nights before our cruise, so thought we would spend the last day downtown. We don't fly until 11.00pm so it would be a shame to waist our last day. I am going to take your advice and get in touch with dial 7 as they have a free phone no. from the UK as I need to arrange 4 transfers and it will be easier to do by phone rather than email. We have never visited the US before, so everything is very new and very exciting. Thanks again for your help.

Do not assume that the vehicle dispatched by your car service will be able to transport your mobility scooter. You must tell them about the scooter in advance, and it's likely you'll be charged more than you would for a standard sedan.

OP - This is super important advice. You must be very clear about the exact size of your scooter so there are no surprises. How much does it weigh? This sounds like a situation which would warrant a generous tip to folks who handle this item for you.

Thanks. I always inform any carriers of my scooter details, it breaks down into 4 parts which I can lift into my car myself, it is a small travel scooter, my friend's suitcase will be heavier!!!! I will always tip for helpful service even in the UK, where we do not tip the same as in the US.