Cruise from Hell: Island Princess Partial Canal Transit

tiessa

So sorry this cruise wasn't enjoyable for you. We were on the Island Princes in December for the full Panama Canal transit and had a wonderful time. We were turned away from the theater once when we arrived 15 minutes before the show, so we showed up 20 minutes early thereafter and always had seats. We waited for anytime dining at most 20 minutes a couple of times, but found that if we arrived around 6:45 we generally were shown directly to a table. We enjoyed some dining room waiters and staff more than others, but nobody was ever rude or short with us.

Embarkation at Port Everglades seems to be a problem except for Elite passengers, but that privilege will come with time. :) We had no problem with elevators on embarkation and Princess had elevator attendants to provide directions.

Others who previously sailed on the Island Princess say she was "butchered" but since this was our first journey on her, we didn't feel the least bit inconvenienced. We still strolled the Promenade deck and rarely found lines due to overcapacity except at the peak dinner times. We found the warmth and friendliness of the staff to more than make up for any inconvenience or minor waiting lines.

As i've previously said, if someone wants to find problems, you won't be disappointed with whatever ship you sail on, provided you look hard enough. If it's all about the journey, then being at sea will be pleasure in and of itself.

OP, sorry the Island Princess failed to live up to your expectations. She more than fulfilled ours.:cool:

Thanks so much for your post! There have been so many negative comments about the Island out there that's its really nice to see something positive for a change. We are sailing her to Alaska in May. We had this cruise booked long before she went to dry dock as it was the time and itinerary that worked best for us (and still is). I have no doubt we'll have a wonderful time too!

We just got back from Carribbean Princess and had a great time, but I think the complaints about Island show a bad trend in cruising. Royal is doing the same thing-did it to Liberty. Somewhere there are bean counter advisors that are messing up the ships-packing too many people on the same platform. Our only recourse is to not sail these butchered ships and let the companies know why. doubt we can get enough word out, but it is something. Saw the same trend on Infinity-more cabins than the design calls for results in not enough to do and lines everywhere. I think they saw the airlines do smaller seats and more passengers and went there. :(

I recalled that cruise ships have been "stretched" (cut in half & adding a new section) & RCL's Song of Norway in 1978 shows as the 1st one to be stretched so increasing the size of a ship is not a new trend in cruising.

Royal Viking began doing it in 1980 however when adding 200 more passengers they also doubled the dining room size. Those were much smaller ships but at least they increased the dining room to accommodate more passengers something Princess failed to do.

If the OP had posted here before the cruise, it would have been possible to find out when the best time to arrive at the pier for embarkation. I do remember that our Island Princess embarkation was one of our worst--but even then, we were on the ship within 90 minutes.

Our neighbors were on the Island for Christmas and New Year's. They had a great time and met wonderful people.

If the OP had posted here before the cruise, it would have been possible to find out when the best time to arrive at the pier for embarkation. I do remember that our Island Princess embarkation was one of our worst--but even then, we were on the ship within 90 minutes.

Our neighbors were on the Island for Christmas and New Year's. They had a great time and met wonderful people.

We left our FLL hotel at 11:30 to go to the pier. Once at the pier we were on the ship with 45 min. That was a great embarkation, in my book.

Just to focus on one silly thing a moment...the 25 cent charge for toilet paper. Things like that bother you if you are a tourist, not a traveller. They charge for it all over the world...it is a luxury in some places. One of the items in my backpack was a small roll of the stuff. Tolerance and patience is SO important when travelling anywhere. To get the most out of a trip, I read about the culture first.

I THINK (or at least, suspect) that this comment is a little tongue-in-cheek, or a joke of some kind. I must be a little thick tho' , cuz I just don't get it !! :D :)

...VTX-Al

I THINK (or at least, suspect) that this comment is a little tongue-in-cheek, or a joke of some kind. I must be a little thick tho' , cuz I just don't get it !! :D :)

...VTX-Al

In some countries they have attendants in the washrooms who charge a fee. You pay; they hand you a bit of TP. Once, in Belgium, before the Euro, I had to pay one in French francs because I hadn't been in Brussels long enough to exchange them for Belgian francs. The attendant sniffed at me. (I'm sure she happily spent them anyway.) :)

Forgot about the stretching of ships in the 80s. Maybe they were height challenged? Wonder if they made a better basketball team after stretching? Any more the 80s seem like yesterday anyway-senior moment.

Good point! Every traveler should check the aisle in all discount stores that has travel size items. Several companies have a neat travel size paper roll, never travel without it!

I read these "worst cruise ever" reports just to see what expectations are and complaints people have. Having traveled world wide for over 30 years, some things are absolutely amazing. I have yet to complain about lines, tour logistics, food, or anything else out of my control.

True, it is my vacation but there are thousands of other people and factors involved. I'm in the camp, why stress, get upset over big picture things. I've never had a bad cruise. Of the 25+ some were better than others, but no "worst ever"!

Like.

...VTX-Al

Not a joke...but the OP just didn't know that it's the way it is in many places. Every experience makes you that much smarter for the next time. Yes, we are spoiled in the U.S..

In some countries they have attendants in the washrooms who charge a fee. You pay; they hand you a bit of TP. Once, in Belgium, before the Euro, I had to pay one in French francs because I hadn't been in Brussels long enough to exchange them for Belgian francs. The attendant sniffed at me. (I'm sure she happily spent them anyway.) :)

Been to Cabo San Lucas many times and the last time we were there, we had to pay to use the rest room! DH paid his $1 and I walked right past the woman and didn't pay. Thankful there was TP in the stall. :D

Whew !!!!! That's a relief ! Our next cruise is on the Island, and I was visualizing a 25 cent coin operated toilet paper dispenser in our stateroom bathroom ! That definitely would have constituted a "cruise from hell" :D :D

...VTX-Al

Been to Cabo San Lucas many times and the last time we were there, we had to pay to use the rest room! DH paid his $1 and I walked right past the woman and didn't pay. Thankful there was TP in the stall. :D

Tour on Aruba stopped at restaurant near the water. See counter for TP before entering bathroom. $1 per use. Always bring package of tissues now.

Thanks so much for your post! There have been so many negative comments about the Island out there that's its really nice to see something positive for a change. We are sailing her to Alaska in May. We had this cruise booked long before she went to dry dock as it was the time and itinerary that worked best for us (and still is). I have no doubt we'll have a wonderful time too!

I've been reading those Island posts with mounting concern. We're booked on her February 2017, full transit Panama Canal. This will be our fifth cruise, but all the others have been seven nights so we have the added concern of doubling our cruise time as well as the concern of spending that additional time on a "butchered" ship - I'm a little nervous about feeling crowded for that long a time; we're looking at roughly eight sea days!

We chose this trip for the itinerary so really no "choice" on the ship. I wish Coral was doing this trip!

I think some of you are giving tiessa a bit more grief that she deserves. She is giving an opinion and also giving reasons for that opinion. That, I think is the reason that this forum is called Cruise Critic. It appears to me that some have become so loyal to a particular cruise line that they feel it is necessary to defend them if someone else offers an opinion or a perspective. That is the reason that I sought out this fourm and I appreciate those who give their opinions as it helps me. If someone had a bad time on a particular cruise, I would like to know about it. If someone is criticised for making a report, that may prevent others from doing so in the future.

Thanks for your report, tiessa. You have saved me from taking another damn tour bus trip, which most of the time are BS anyway. (One pit stop in 4 hours? Jesus!) I think I will just sit on the ship, swat Zika carrying mosquitoes and sip chardonnay.

Because cheating and theft are excellent ways to experience other cultures and demonstrate American exceptionalism.

Because cheating and theft are excellent ways to experience other cultures and demonstrate American exceptionalism.

Not to mention the multi-millions of good old "exceptional" American dollars that are spent in Cabo San Lucas. But, what the hell, they learned this from the latrines in Las Vegas, Nevada. One of the few cities that you can easily dump a grand (or more) a day and still pay a restroom attendant for a paper towel.

I think some of you are giving tiessa a bit more grief that she deserves. She is giving an opinion and also giving reasons for that opinion. That, I think is the reason that this forum is called Cruise Critic. It appears to me that some have become so loyal to a particular cruise line that they feel it is necessary to defend them if someone else offers an opinion or a perspective. That is the reason that I sought out this fourm and I appreciate those who give their opinions as it helps me. If someone had a bad time on a particular cruise, I would like to know about it. If someone is criticised for making a report, that may prevent others from doing so in the future.

Thanks for your report, tiessa. You have saved me from taking another damn tour bus trip, which most of the time are BS anyway. (One pit stop in 4 hours? Jesus!) I think I will just sit on the ship, swat Zika carrying mosquitoes and sip chardonnay.

I agree X 2, I really do believe these are self appointed , free style 'damage control agents' and not paid professionals. Many defend their "brand" like you kicked their dog or said something bad about their mom.

I always take these threads thru a filter but often I can learn things to do or to avoid. I hope for the best on my next cruise , next month on the Crown.

I'm just wondering how you expected your luggage to get to your room. should they have used the stairs to carry all the bags to the rooms so you didn't have to walk to the back of the ship. You have to be kidding that this was a big problem.