Lost belongings help

I'm having a very frustrating experience right now with Windstar. We were on the Star Pride when it ran aground on December 22nd. Passengers were evacuated to land and the crew packed our luggage for us. We were missing several items. We notified Windstar immediately, filled out their claim form, and told them in writing exactly where everything was in the cabin. It's over 6 weeks later and the only thing Windstar will tell me about our missing belongings is that they have no information. The can't (won't?) tell me if they recovered anything from my cabin, where the recovered belongings are (other than that they are not in Seattle), when they will have any information, when they will declare the items as unrecoverable, or if they will be reimbursing us if the items never show up (I'd hope so). There seems to be only one person handling everything related to the grounding, and that person's responses have only been that she knows nothing. Requests to speak to a supervisor have been refused. Emails and voicemails to the general customer relations contacts on their website have gone unanswered.

My insurance won't do anything until Windstar puts in writing that the items are lost, but the policy also says all supporting claim documentation needs to be completed in 90 days. Half of the 90 days has already gone by and I have no confidence that I can get an answer one way or the other from Windstar given the communication so far.

Does anyone know of any regulations that apply to this situation? Is there a governing body that I can make a complaint to?

Hopefully, your problems will be resolved...the cruise line has no obligation to you at all...unfortunately. Most times, they will resolve any issues.

If you read the cruise contract, you will see you are at risk..they have NO obligation to even have a safe ship...it's the same on every line. Cruise at your own risk.

Here are the executives of Windstar and their contact information:

Primary Contact

Joe Duckett

Vice President of Marketing

2101 4th Avenue Suite 210

Seattle, WA 98121

joe.duckett@windstarcruises.com

Secondary Contact

Captain Nico Corbijn

Executive Vice President of Fleet Operations

Seattle, WA 98121

nico.corbijn@windstarcruises.com

Chief Executive

Hans Birkholz

Seattle, WA 98121

hans.birkholz@windstarcruises.com

I suggest sending a certified letter to Hans Birkholz explaining the situation and listing the dates on which you have contacted his company and to whom you have spoken and what the results of each conversation were, including being denied the opportunity to speak to a supervisor. Keep a copy of the letter and the registered mail return slip that shows it was received in case you someday need to file litigation against this company.

Thanks for all the contact info. I'm curious as to why you listed the VP of Marketing as the primary contact?

I didn't put "primary contact", I just copied the information off of a website that listed the contact information for that company and that is how it was listed. It couldn't hurt to send a letter to Joe Duckette as well, though. I am certain he is interested in how his company is being perceived by customers. I do wonder how many other customers are still waiting on their belongings.

I see that this incident occurred off the coast of Panama. Is it possible that Windstar turned the luggage over to the Port of Balboa (Panama City) where the ship was towed for repairs after the incident? I looked up the Star Prides current location and it shows it at Port of Balboa. I suspect your luggage is still onboard unless it is in the way of repairs. If so, it may be that you can contact the port there and inquire as to the whereabouts of your luggage. Here is their contact information:

Port Name: Port of Balboa

Port Authority: Panama Ports Company (PPC)

Address: Arnulfo Arias Madrid Avenue, Building 1501

P.O. Box 0843-00574

Panama

Panama

Phone: 507-207 5100

Fax: 507-232 5697

800 Number:

Email: info@ppc.com.pa

Web Site: http://www.ppc.com.pa

Latitude: 8° 57' 20" N

Longitude: 79° 34' 12" W

UN/LOCODE: PABLB

Port Type: Seaport

Port Size: Medium

Hopefully, your problems will be resolved...the cruise line has no obligation to you at all...unfortunately. Most times, they will resolve any issues.

If you read the cruise contract, you will see you are at risk..they have NO obligation to even have a safe ship...it's the same on every line. Cruise at your own risk.

Actually every cruise ship is held to IMO SOLAS and insurer safety requirements and the ships are regularly inspected to assure compliance.

I see this ship is registered in the Bahamas under Windstar Pride Ltd. As of January 17, 2016, it appears that the investigation into the grounding incident is still underway, although Windstar has already paid a $200,000 fine. Panama has authorized the ship to be moved, but as to where and when it will be moved, no info here:

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/crise-line-hit-200000-fine-coiba-grounding

http://www.cruiseshipposition.com/windstar/star-pride-position/

It looks like Windstar expects the Star Pride to go back into service on June 9, 2016 sailing from Istanbul to Athens based on the Windstar website. The ship must need some repairs and refurbishment. So the question to me is where will the ship go between Panama and Istanbul on June 9 if anywhere? Maybe they are planning to bring it back to Seattle or wherever you sailed from to offload the luggage? I doubt they would take everything over to Europe and ship it back as that would be incredibly costly. You might ask the people at Windstar what the plan is once the ship is able to sail again.

So as to how to get your luggage, it may be possible to get it from the Port of Balboa. All you can do is ask.

The ship is not in Balboa, nor was it towed there for repairs. On Jan. 17 it transited the Panama Canal under tow, and was dropped off in Cristobal. The next day it disappeared from AIS, but I do not believe it is still there. EM

We are missing several items, and not full suitcases, but it might still be worth contacting the port. It can't hurt, right? I think the ship is actually in Colon though. Some folks had posted pictures of it being towed through the canal.

We were told there were 5 holes in the ship's hull and the engine room had taken on water. The date for it to go back into service has been moved several times. The change to June 9th seems to be a new thing; it had been April 9th up until recently. Having one of their ships out of service for half a year must be causing them some severe financial hardships and I am beginning to fear that they might go under without resolving all issues. In addition to the missing items, they also haven't refunded shore excursions and other pre-paid items to folks on our cruise.

Start with the executives. They have a contractual obligation to you. The port has no idea who you are and has no incentive to help you. In fact they probably have an obligation to the cruiseline to only deal with them regarding this.

We are missing several items, and not full suitcases, but it might still be worth contacting the port. It can't hurt, right? I think the ship is actually in Colon though. Some folks had posted pictures of it being towed through the canal.

We were told there were 5 holes in the ship's hull and the engine room had taken on water. The date for it to go back into service has been moved several times. The change to June 9th seems to be a new thing; it had been April 9th up until recently. Having one of their ships out of service for half a year must be causing them some severe financial hardships and I am beginning to fear that they might go under without resolving all issues. In addition to the missing items, they also haven't refunded shore excursions and other pre-paid items to folks on our cruise.

Wow, the ship sounds like it is a mess. It will be interesting to see if it is repaired eventually. Honestly, if just a few items are missing, I suspect they are gone for good. In your position, I'd contact the Mr. Berkolz and request that they declare your items lost so you can contact your travel insurance and get reimbursed.

Windstar has declared bankruptcy before, but they have several other ships so hopefully they will be able to stay afloat, even if one of their ships is not in service. In regards to the shore excursions and pre-paid items, have you tried disputing it with your credit card company? That might be a quicker way to get resolution on those expenses.