CCL Stock heading down

twinkle toes

Don't forget the Carnival Triumph debacle. That didn't help the stock price either.

The Costa Concordia was worse for the share price but the stock recovered a mere couple of days later, CCL is very resilient, at the moment we have a big "correction" in the market generally brought about by oil price and Chinese industry lack of keeping up to market expectations. And CCL price has suffered along with nearly the whole gamut of stocks, maybe buffered somewhat by cheap oil being good for CCL operating costs.

Zika virus and possible terrorism threats against cruise ships in the Mediterranean can't help bookings or stock price either.

Nor does weakness in some foreign currencies, these areas were becoming important markets for Princess and may not be as profitable as anticipated as the new customers feel the pain of a high US$.

Edited by Griller

Does anyone know if CCL shares are held jointly with my wife, whether the benefits such as cruise credits etc can still be split? For example, should 200 shares be owned jointly or should it be owned 100 each to take advantage of the cruise credits?

Does anyone know if CCL shares are held jointly with my wife, whether the benefits such as cruise credits etc can still be split? For example, should 200 shares be owned jointly or should it be owned 100 each to take advantage of the cruise credits?

Need to be 100 each if you want to split up......its only one (OBC) per cabin so if you each had 100 1 of you would have to be in another cabin.

One person having 200 would have no advantage for more OBC. You could not split that.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The shareholder OBC can only be applied one time for a stateroom. So if both your wife and you each own 100 shares of Carnival Corp and you are in the same room, only one of you can claim the OBC. The rule is one shareholder OBC per stateroom.

I bought it at $25/share in 2008 and it's been a great investment. Big increase in value, great dividends and lots of OBC! Gotta love it. ;)

The market always has short term up's and down's, but this stock has continued to increase in value over the long term - and the "perks" are wonderful.

I bought at $23 a share. Most stocks are down right now. I'm not going to get rich on a 100 shares no matter what they do. The only reason I bought them was the benefits of on board credits. Its a stock i don't even look at them to check there price, my plan is to sell them once i stop cruising or they take the benefit away.

it appears bad news from RCCL dragged all cruise stocks down. wish i knew where bottom was.....

So would we all.

The problem with the market is simply this. It is nervous over the direction of the US and the world economy.

If there is good economic news, the market will go either up or down. It will go up if the marker thinks that's good for stocks. It will go down if the market thinks that means the fed will raise rates and that rate raise will be good for stocks.

If there is bad economic news, the market will also go up or down. It will go down if the market thinks that's bad for stocks. It will go up if the market thinks that means the fed won't raise interest rates and no increase in rates will be good for stocks.

I hope the above explanation clarifies things for you.

My personal opinion is stock market analysts have less credibility than weathermen.

CCL is currently at $41.52. It has been a very poor long term investment. It was over $50.00 way back in 1999. Over the last 10 years it has significantly underperformed the S&P500. Even with oil prices as low as they are it has been a very poor investment.

CCL is currently at $41.52. It has been a very poor long term investment. It was over $50.00 way back in 1999. Over the last 10 years it has significantly underperformed the S&P500. Even with oil prices as low as they are it has been a very poor investment.

Thats OK it works for us. ;)

The PRICE of stock has very little to do with ROI. With 100 shares and one cruise a year the return is amazing......................

Based on history though, it looks like they are due for a split. They are investing heavily in Alaska and elsewhere with the consolidation of Passenger Services

Of course I double as weatherman.......

Edited by TNTLAMB

It depends on what you want out of the stock. If you take several cruises on Carnival Corp. brands a year, the on-board credit is a nice dividend. It's a stock I purchased to hold for the dividends. As long as CCL keeps offering the on-board credit, I'll keep it. In 20 or 30 years, I won't worry about how much I paid for the stock. I'll have received much more in dividends.

For anyone who doesn't currently own 100 shares, the big question is is this market correction temporary or will the stock price continue to decline. We'd all be a lot richer if we could predict this.

Bought mine shortly after 9/11 when all the travel stocks sank. Took a chance that really paid off, bought at around $9. Definitely paid off stock wise and OBC wise.

Wow! Congratulations. I will have to stop bragging that I bought mine at $33 per share. Since we love cruising I felt that I was helping to support the stock. My earned dividend OBCs keep me happy.;)

While I am sad that Zika has taken over the public's attention (and rightly so) it does not scare me from enjoying cruising with proper preventative sprays.

It has been a good investment. I bought at $23 a share. I really don't care what the shares do. They pay a small dividend, plus the benefits of OBC, and the US dollar going to 40% it has been great. I never bought the stock depending on it going up. We have cruised at least once a year since purchasing. If we didn't cruise it would not be a stock I would own.

Edited by mmckm