Is a balcony a must on a Panama Canal cruise?

jstcruizin

We had a balcony on this cruise, but we probably used the balcony less on this one than on any of our cruises. For the canal, spent most of the time moving around to various viewing areas on deck. Did the canal excursion by ferry through the rest of the locks, and it was well worth it for a first time canal trip. It gives a different perspective.

Save the cash and take the inside.

We did a partial Panama Canal cruise on HAL a few years ago. Having a balcony was nice but to me, not worth another $2000. (I view that as a large payment towards your next cruise!) Seeing the canal is fascinating and being able to move from side to side out on deck is a great way to see it. We also did a HAL shore excursion which was a canal transit on a small boat from Gatun Lake to Panama City, a brief tour of Panama City and bus back to the ship. I highly recommend such a trip if offered by Princess. We normally don't purchase many shore excursions from the ship but this was one time we were happy we did. There was terrible traffic on the return bus ride and we were 90 minutes late returning to the ship and way past sailing time. We were very happy to see the ship there waiting for our tour when we arrived at the port!

Hello...A small group of us will be doing the partial transit of Panama Canal next Feb 2017. Can anyone tell me if it is worth doing any of the excursions instead of staying onboard through the canal? Do I understand correctly that the ONLY way to do an excursion at Panama Canal/Gatun Lake is through Princess excursions...no private ones allowed?

Thanks for the help!!

On our Dec 2013 cruise to the Panama Canal we took a Princess Tour to Panama City.

We wondered why the ship did not sail at the appointed time that evening.

We later found out that a group on another Princess Tour had a bus breakdown and did not return to the ship until 9PM. Not only did the ship wait for them but kept a dining room open for them.

We would never chance a private tour. Just not worth the savings if something goes wrong and the ship sails without you.

We had a great time.

2013-12--18%20My%20Pictures%20121813%20-1%20319_zps9wzhwcsr.jpg

Howard

Edited by hm9912

On our Dec 2013 cruise to the Panama Canal we took a Princess Tour to Panama City.

We wondered why the ship did not sail at the appointed time that evening.

We later found out that a group on another Princess Tour had a bus breakdown and did not return to the ship until 9PM. Not only did the ship wait for them but kept a dining room open for them.

We would never chance a private tour.

In the canal, you can only take Princess tours. You can not get off the ship in Gatun Lake unless you have one scheduled.

On our ferry tour, by the time we made it to Panama City, it was rush hour, and it was also the time the ship was scheduled to leave port back in Colon. Colon is an hour and a half drive from Panama City. Plus, our bus was in an accident there and we had to wait to be transported by a backup bus. Needless to say, we were very late getting back to Colon, but the ship was still there waiting for us. Lots of good communication between the bus and the ship to keep them updated on our arrival.

All in all, the experience just added more color to our trip.

Hello...A small group of us will be doing the partial transit of Panama Canal next Feb 2017. Can anyone tell me if it is worth doing any of the excursions instead of staying onboard through the canal? Do I understand correctly that the ONLY way to do an excursion at Panama Canal/Gatun Lake is through Princess excursions...no private ones allowed?

Thanks for the help!!

You are correct, on the partial transits only shore excursions through Princess are permitted. It's not just a Princess thing at this stop, all cruise lines that offer partial transits operate this way.

While it is not a horrible option to stay on the ship and enjoy the passage back through Gatun Locks and the short sail to Colon, the ship is less crowded and there is a chance to see what you missed in the morning trip up. However you are only traveling about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal. Even if the trip up Gatun Locks in the morning fills your Canal quotient, there are a lot of things to see in Panama... it's not your typical beach port of call

Looking at a last minute cruise in April for the partial transit on the Coral but it's for an inside cabin and a few people from hubbies work who have done it said a balcony is a must to get the best experience . What are your thoughts? It would cost almost $4000 for a balcony versus just under $2000 for an inside on carribe deck which we really like. Hubbies getting ready to retire in March and we want to be able to keep cruising twice a year but if we got the balcony this would be our only one this year, lol.

Thanks I advance

No its not necessary and in fact we did have a balcony but found it preferable to move around the ship to see the PC from different vantage points. You are fine w/o it IMO. :)

Looking at a last minute cruise in April for the partial transit on the Coral but it's for an inside cabin and a few people from hubbies work who have done it said a balcony is a must to get the best experience . What are your thoughts? It would cost almost $4000 for a balcony versus just under $2000 for an inside on carribe deck which we really like. Hubbies getting ready to retire in March and we want to be able to keep cruising twice a year but if we got the balcony this would be our only one this year, lol.

Thanks I advance

We've been through the Panama Canal twice and both times had a balcony. We wouldn't do it any other way. We were on the Island Princess - the ship is a disappointment IMHO and won't cruise on that ship again. The Caribe balconies are larger than other cabins on different decks. You won't be disappointed. I'd never book an inside cabin - too claustrophobic.

There are several advantages to not having a balcony on the Panama Canal cruise IMHO. First, yes, it is better to move around the ship to different vantage points during the transit. Second, insects - the biting kind - get into your cabin via an open balcony door even if you only open and close it to go in and out to/from the balcony.

We used our balcony less on the Panama Canal cruises than on other cruises we have done.

One of the neatest perspectives during the transit was in the dining room next to a window as we went through a lock - right up against the wall of the lock. Awesome. Perhaps the timing of your transit will allow you to enjoy this perspective as well.

Coral has great decks for viewing, so if you can choose an inside look for one more towards the stern, and with a deck area on the stern, then you can pop outside easily for a view. Also, you could do Sanctuary with some of the money you are saving on the inside cabin, not just for during the transit but for the length of the cruise.

Very early in the morning if the ship is stopped outside the canal, the lights from the canal area are twinkling. You can check the bridge cam image on the TV and then head out somewhere with a forward view.

Have a great cruise - the Panama Canal never gets boring, It remains a fascinating example of engineering before computers, et al.

I had not even considered the insect aspect, but with all the worry about the mosquitos who carry the zika virus (and they bite during the day hours), that is an excellent reason for not having a balcony

So you sit in your interior cabin and watch the action on the ship's cam?

Thanks I advance

I would save the money and I don't feel as though a balcony is EVER a must -- nicer, yes, a must, no! If anything, I like being in a balcony cabin when sailing up in Alaska ... but if not affordable, there are plenty of places to go to see the sites.

Inside or balcony cabin matters not as soon as you leave the room. Going through the canal is an all day event so you probably wouldn't spend the entire time on your balcony anyway. Choose what is affordable for you!! I have people tell me all the time, I HAVE to have a balcony. Whatever! If I can go on two cruises for the same price as one, I would always choose the 2 cruises. One of my best cruises ever was while in an inside cabin. My legs work just fine to get me to an open deck.

PS -- I just recently retired and now have a few less discretionary dollars to spend on travel. Like you, would like to keep cruising a couple of times a year...so see a lot more inside and ocean view cabins in my future.

So you sit in your interior cabin and watch the action on the ship's cam?

ooooh, a bit nasty, no, obviously go to the front of the ship for most of the canal, as I did on my two Panama Canal cruises. I did not say never go outside; I said I had never thought of the balcony doors letting insects in when they open.

ooooh, a bit nasty, no, obviously go to the front of the ship for most of the canal, as I did on my two Panama Canal cruises. I did not say never go outside; I said I had never thought of the balcony doors letting insects in when they open.

So I guess you aren't worried about the virus? I'm confused.

We did a 17 day full canal on the Coral and had an inside. We never felt a balcony was necessary. My mother, who joined us, was upgraded to a caribe balcony and we did use hers occasionally.

During the day, in the canal zone, it is just too hot to sit for a long time on the balcony. It is far better to move around. There is a lot more to se than just the wall of the locks.

Also, on the trip to and from the canal you are at sea much of the time and there is not a lot to see.

I will say mom's balcony was not too bad at sunset, when things at least felt a little cooler....

We were lucky going from the Pacific to the Atlantic. That way, you get to see the Pacific locks, the lake, the River and the cut before you get to Gaitun Lake. It is 3 hours across the lace and it was the perfect time to hit the buffet for lunch and a nice sit-down in the A/C.

Also, the Locks at the Atlantic side give you a real perspective of just how hight the ship is raised (lowered). Looking back from the last lock, it is amazing at just how high you go!