Anthem open balcony door question

Wifey and I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin on the Anthem for this October 29th, and I read in another thread here that keeping the door open for long periods of time affects the heat/AC settings in the adjoining rooms which may lead to complaints..

:confused:

One of the advantages I saw in the cabin we chose was not so much the view, but being able to get some air in the room while in the Caribbean. Is there any truth to this? Do the cabins not have individual thermostats and controls ?

Yes, your cabin has its own thermostat, but there is also a contact on the balcony door that turns off the air conditioning when the door is open.

Makes sense, thanks..

Been digging around to find the other thread to read how it was explained, 'course now I can't find it.. :rolleyes:

Wifey and I booked an obstructed view balcony cabin on the Anthem for this October 29th, and I read in another thread here that keeping the door open for long periods of time affects the heat/AC settings in the adjoining rooms which may lead to complaints..

:confused:

One of the advantages I saw in the cabin we chose was not so much the view, but being able to get some air in the room while in the Caribbean. Is there any truth to this? Do the cabins not have individual thermostats and controls ?

Yes, it is true that keeping your balcony door open makes it difficult for rooms near yours to regulate their temperature. Perhaps our resident chief engineer will see this and explain again.

Yes, it is true that keeping your balcony door open makes it difficult for rooms near yours to regulate their temperature. Perhaps our resident chief engineer will see this and explain again.

Here to help, Bob.

Your cabin A/C has three components. 20% of the air volume is supplied as fresh air from outside, more on this later. 20% is removed via the bathroom exhaust vent, mainly. And 80% is recirculated.

Each cabin has a small fan and air cooler (cooled by chilled water circulated throughout the ship, just for the A/C). The air is taken from your cabin by a fan, passed over the air cooler, and returned to the cabin. This accounts for the majority of the cooling effect of the A/C in your cabin, and is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and also what shuts off when the balcony door is opened.

The problem with having the balcony door open comes with the 20% fresh air make-up system. This air is brought in from outside by large fans, and goes through large air coolers (typically in those large "white" areas in the middle of passenger cabin deck plans) to supply cool fresh air to a bank of cabins (typically all the cabins on one side of the ship, on a given deck, within a fire zone), usually about 15-20 cabins. Now, the A/C system is designed to keep cabins at higher pressure than the passageways, to keep any smoke out of the cabins during a fire. This is accomplished by the fact that the bathroom vent does not remove as much air as the supply air puts into the cabin, and the passageways don't have air supplies, just exhausts, so some air flows under the cabin door into the passageways.

Now, when you open the balcony door, and keep it open, you are short circuiting this overpressure of your cabin (by having a large opening where air can flow out of your cabin). Therefore, the supply of fresh air flows along the easiest path, into your cabin and out the balcony door. This then reduces the fresh air delivery to the other cabins in your block. You only need to walk down a passageway to know who has their balcony door open, by the whistling sound of the air going the other way under the doors.

So, to make this long explanation short, yes, opening the balcony door reduces your cabin's A/C by shutting off the unit cooler for your cabin, and also reduces the A/C to the block of cabins around you by changing the airflow balance of fresh air delivery.

Thank you for that great explanation... chengkp75 ....

Is it true what the other poster said about keeping your balcony door "unlocked"?

That hasn't been my experience, but ships and systems differ, so it may be true on some ships.