Anthem keeps docking us around

shaun07

Didn't Lou tell us that the storm couldn't cause any issues below the waterline. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I guess it may have been overworked fighting the wind and waves for so long Sunday night.

that would make a lot of sense. I had to double check i was in the right thread

Edited by shaun07

Couple of problems with his tweet. First off, that's not a radar, that is a satellite TV or internet dome. Second, ship's radars are not "air search" radars that look into the sky like a weather radar. They are pointed at the sea, because that's what is important in limited visibility, other ships and land.

The first cover came off in the storm and dramatically dropped its bits on the pool deck...looks like it was made of fiberglass. By the time I got off the ship this morning, they already had another one waiting to be brought on.

If it is sat-TV or Internet, then it wasn't damaged at all as both worked fine through the entire event.

golfball.jpg

Edited by KarinaGW

So they lied to us about the condition of the ship and decided to gamble by sending us on a 3 days voyage on a damaged ship with multiple storms in the area. What is wrong with company .

Let's see if this works or you. There are close to 5,000 passengers on board this ship. You have all just come out of a fairly scary two days. You are still out in the middle of the ocean with very few options as to where to dock and the seas are still choppy.

So let's get the captain to come on the PA and tell all the passengers that half the propulsion system for the ship is broken and we may have a few other things wrong that we do not know until we reach shore and we will have to limp into port. Do you think that response in the middle of the ocean would have been better than the one you got?

Couple of problems with his tweet. First off, that's not a radar, that is a satellite TV or internet dome. Second, ship's radars are not "air search" radars that look into the sky like a weather radar. They are pointed at the sea, because that's what is important in limited visibility, other ships and land.

And his photo of the wake, does show the port pod showing a reduced wake, so either it was freewheeling or at reduced power, so my thought about a major bearing problem would be out the window, cause you don't let a damaged bearing rotate like that.

Can you set them to freewheeling from inside the ship. I thought Freedom had to do that while docked in Nassau one day. Maybe they just removed the prop. I really don't recall.

ETA, just noticed you said they did remove the prop.

Edited by John&LaLa

The first cover came off in the storm and dramatically dropped its bits on the pool deck...looks like it was made of fiberglass. By the time I got off the ship this morning, they already had another one waiting to be brought on.

If it is sat-TV or Internet, then it wasn't damaged at all as both worked fine through the entire event.

IMG_20160211_204633.jpg?dl=0

I found the internet good until the last day. I am not sure if thats because the satellites signal gets weaker the further away from the equator you go.

Let's see if this works or you. There are close to 5,000 passengers on board this ship. You have all just come out of a fairly scary two days. You are still out in the middle of the ocean with very few options as to where to dock and the seas are still choppy.

So let's get the captain to come on the PA and tell all the passengers that half the propulsion system for the ship is broken and we may have a few other things wrong that we do not know until we reach shore and we will have to limp into port. Do you think that response in the middle of the ocean would have been better than the one you got?

I agree, telling us may not have served any good. risking a 3 day voyage in uncertain weather conditions was not a good choice. but why continue to deny it once we do arrive. Why cover it up.

it has to be serious enough if they haven't fixed it yet and the coast guard won't let them sail

Hell, as part of a Port State inspection, they won't let the ship sail if a fire hose is worn. Not saying it isn't serious, but not saying it is.

After the Explorer was hit by a rogue wave in November 2014, and ONE LIFEBOAT was knocked out of commission, every port in which we stopped wanted to inspect the ship and "make sure that it was safe".

:eek:

I agree, telling us may not have served any good. risking a 3 day voyage in uncertain weather conditions was not a good choice. but why continue to deny it once we do arrive. Why cover it up.

What you seem to be missing is that you had a three day voyage back to somewhere as you were in the middle of nowhere and to have the truth could have set off a panic amongst 5,000 passengers that even a level headed crew and captain might not have been able to calm. And you certainly could not just anchor and sit in the middle of nowhere waiting for a miracle rescue to happen.

I am sure in a few weeks when the fear and shock factor has left you, it will make more sense. Right now best to pack it in, get a really good night's sleep and if you are still in NYC tomorrow morning and want to spend a serious amount of money on a breakfast you will not forget, head over to Norma's in the Parker Meridian Hotel. The greatest breakfast in the US.

I'm not sure why you'd get to decide who is in the minority and who is not.

3000 people chose to stay ON BOARD last night instead of rushing for the exits to get off.

Because why would you get off unless you have a flight leaving overnight? Unless they lived locally, any other tourist would have to pay another night's accommodation in a hotel, or be uncomfortable in the weather and waiting around so it'd be expected that the majority would stay on.

It's actually surprising how many _did_ get off as early as they did.

unneeded post. Someone explained the future cruise credit far better than I did. I prefer to acknowledge the people who have better knowledge than I.

Ahh...the FCCredit...how I wish I had one now! I'm really craving another Panama Canal cruise or a transpacific. (A girl can dream, right?) I can tell you our FCC experience...first, it isn't an immediate gratification kind of thing. It takes about a month to 6 weeks to get it, and they mail it to you. It's an actual paper certificate, though that's hard to believe in this digital age. The timing was great for us, as we had another cruise booked with a final payment date looming.

We applied it, but I don't remember all the details. I think we might have had to sign it and mail it somewhere, but we have a great TA we've used for 20 years so we gave it to her and she pretty much took care of it. The bottom line is: it just works like a check and they apply it to your balance. How you accomplish it depends on whether or not you use a TA.

Now, on a personal note...I enjoyed your posts a LOT. I was sad when your thread was closed. There are some posters here on CC whose posts exemplify a rare and delightful combination of humor, intelligence, compassion, wisdom, common sense, and honesty. You are one. Thank you.

Judy

Because why would you get off unless you have a flight leaving overnight? Unless they lived locally, any other tourist would have to pay another night's accommodation in a hotel, or be uncomfortable in the weather and waiting around so it'd be expected that the majority would stay on.

It's actually surprising how many _did_ get off as early as they did.

The vast majority of the passengers live within driving distance of the port, and either drove themselves or used a limo/car/shuttle service.

Not telling the passengers on board the truth about the situation is not the right thing to do. People are entitled to know.

They may have covered it over this time but the next time something happens on one of their ships many of the passengers will not believe what they are told as they know there has been deception before.

After the Explorer was hit by a rogue wave in November 2014, and ONE LIFEBOAT was knocked out of commission, every port in which we stopped wanted to inspect the ship and "make sure that it was safe".

:eek:

We were on the SAME cruise and I never met you??!!?...at least knowingly?

Je suis dévasté

Edited by KarinaGW

What you seem to be missing is that you had a three day voyage back to somewhere as you were in the middle of nowhere and to have the truth could have set off a panic amongst 5,000 passengers that even a level headed crew and captain might not have been able to calm. And you certainly could not just anchor and sit in the middle of nowhere waiting for a miracle rescue to happen.

I am sure in a few weeks when the fear and shock factor has left you, it will make more sense. Right now best to pack it in, get a really good night's sleep and if you are still in NYC tomorrow morning and want to spend a serious amount of money on a breakfast you will not forget, head over to Norma's in the Parker Meridian Hotel. The greatest breakfast in the US.

you seem to be missing the fact I agreed about not telling us. I want to know why they continued to lie after we got back

Ahh...the FCCredit...how I wish I had one now! I'm really craving another Panama Canal cruise or a transpacific. (A girl can dream, right?) I can tell you our FCC experience...first, it isn't an immediate gratification kind of thing. It takes about a month to 6 weeks to get it, and they mail it to you. It's an actual paper certificate, though that's hard to believe in this digital age. The timing was great for us, as we had another cruise booked with a final payment date looming.

We applied it, but I don't remember all the details. I think we might have had to sign it and mail it somewhere, but we have a great TA we've used for 20 years so we gave it to her and she pretty much took care of it. The bottom line is: it just works like a check and they apply it to your balance. How you accomplish it depends on whether or not you use a TA.

Now, on a personal note...I enjoyed your posts a LOT. I was sad when your thread was closed. There are some posters here on CC whose posts exemplify a rare and delightful combination of humor, intelligence, compassion, wisdom, common sense, and honesty. You are one. Thank you.

Judy

Apparently, in 4-6 weeks (between FCC, cruise refund and parking refund), I'm going to be rolling in dough.:D

On an unrelated but related note, while I was on the cruise, someone in Tennessee got hold of my credit card number and spent $500 at Gamestop. At least, I get that back in 2-3 days.

And, aw...shucks. Thankee ma'am.

I did say there were reports of more serious issues that would take longer to repair but got shot down in flames. I suppose you all believe the sailing on Saturday will go ahead. Well don't bet this months salary on it.

I did say there were reports of more serious issues that would take longer to repair but got shot down in flames. I suppose you all believe the sailing on Saturday will go ahead. Well don't bet this months salary on it.

almost every crew member i asked about the state of the ship mentioned something about dry dock

Apparently, in 4-6 weeks (between FCC, cruise refund and parking refund), I'm going to be rolling in dough.:D

On an unrelated but related note, while I was on the cruise, someone in Tennessee got hold of my credit card number and spent $500 at Gamestop. At least, I get that back in 2-3 days.

And, aw...shucks. Thankee ma'am.

It wasn't me!! Lol.

Unrelated, but I don't know why cc fraud and Game Stop go hand in hand but you're not the first I've heard that happening to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My eyesight is not so good. Can you read the facts to me? So far I have:

1. Anthem of the Seas got caught in a bad storm and had to ride out some very rough seas.

2. The storm was forecast prior to Anthem's departure from NJ. (Though there is some disagreement about exactly how close the forecast was to what was actually encountered.)

3. The ship sustained some minor damage, but there were not serious injuries, and only a handful of minor injuries, to passengers.

4. The cruise was cut short and headed back to NJ trailing behind the storm system.

5. The passengers were promised a full refund of their cruise fare and 50% credit toward a future cruise.

6. Royal Caribbean announced some changes in the way they'll monitor the weather and its potential impact on cruises in the future.

I know there are lots of details I've left out, but what key facts did I miss or get wrong?

You forget the part where Captain Anthem pulls the ship away from the dock in New Jersey, bug eyed and cackling. He proclaims (insert best Norwegian accent now)"I hear this baby can roll on her side and back up, but it takes a gully whomper of a storm. Oh look, we're in luck - if we hurry we can try it out tmrw off the coast of N.C. The storm doesn't look strong enough. Yet! wink wink"

As he passes under the Verrazano bridge, he toots the horn and high fives the first mate.