Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Tip : How to tell a genuine 'Bit of a blog' from an imposter...... there is invariably a picture of a pigeon somewhere.....

WP_20160321_15_57_10_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_57_32_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160321_15_58_06_Pro_LI.jpg

In the evening I went out with a lovely friend met initially on CC then on Rhapsody last year. She was on her way back to Alice Springs via Sydney. Thanks for taking the time out girl!!! x

Come unstuck again..... haven't uploaded my last full day in Sydney..... hadn't realised that at the hotel last night where I uploaded all of Uluru..... let's see how the airport wifi goes shall we?

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Well..... that didn't take long at all.....

Radisson Blu. Yesterday at the hotel was a shambles at breakfast..... too many people wanting to eat at the same time meant that some had to sit in a lounge and take their food there...... much quieter today

DSCN0270.jpg

It's not a large breakfast area for the size of hotel.... apologies for the focus

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

Heading out with my wonderful friends...... told you those birds were native....

DSCN0280.jpg

Now I'm not going to remember everywhere we went but we headed North.... the plan being to end back at Manly, see the beach and head back on the Ferry to Circular Quay. Here's a bit of a representation of the fabulous ride I was taken on through Dee Why up to Avalon Beach.

12443425_10208143731818452_1663363970_o.jpg

Many native birds find their way here, I have seen these out and about

WP_20160321_15_38_17_Pro_LI.jpg

Ibis - along with the sulphur crested white cockatoos you saw a flock of in the mountains, considered a pest in urban areas!

When I came across a couple of backpackers fascinated by an ibis scratching around an enclosure I was compelled to stop and let them know that by far the more interesting and exciting item was inside the enclosure. It was a Wollemi Pine found growing in a now secret location in the Blue Mountains some years ago and dubbed the dinosaur pine.

Once I had explained the significance of the tree, they started taking photos of it too!!

All checked in and very comfortable in the Qantas BC lounge.

Qantas codeshare...... Steven @ check-in had no problem at all sending both cases through to my final destination whereas outbound I had to retrieve them at Heathrow and check-in again. This is going to make the almost 4 hour layover a bit more bearable.

Got picked for explosives screening......

Duty Free done and dusted.

Peach Bellini sorted.

Ibis - along with the sulphur crested white cockatoos you saw a flock of in the mountains' date=' considered a pest in urban areas!

When I came across a couple of backpackers fascinated by an ibis scratching around an enclosure I was compelled to stop and let them know that by far the more interesting and exciting item was inside the enclosure. It was a Wollemi Pine found growing in a now secret location in the Blue Mountains some years ago and dubbed the dinosaur pine.

Once I had explained the significance of the tree, they started taking photos of it too!!

Gosh..... that's old..... and how amazing to have discovered something!!

The white birds are most likely Sulphur Crested Cochatoo's

Saw them out and about too..... think they were the birds in the pic I took nesting in a tree in Newcastle. Was brought up around birds, pigeons to be more specific ;)

Thank you!!! Journey not over yet..... around 30 hours before I step through my front door.... :eek:

Thank you for taking us all along on this amazing journey - think you did an AMAZING job with this blog (even though I haven't yet read it all - started about 1/3 way through I think ....)

Hope the rest of your journey will be comfortable and most importantly safe !!

Hello my friend, well, didn't we have a great cruise! Your blog has to be the best I have ever read, even though we were there I still learned more. Thank you. Have a safe journey home. We have made some lifelong friends on our epic journey around New Zealand and Australia. Speak soon Trish and Peter. Xxxxx

Linda, I hope you have a good trip home. Thank you so much for all your pictures and observations! I know it's a lot of work. I will miss checing in every day to see what you are up to. I will be on the Solstice in August to Alaska so I initially starting to read because of the ship. I continued because it was so engaging and fun. I hope to read your next adventure soon!

Kathy

Thanks for your lovely comments. There's more to post.

Just landed back in Newcastle, UK. Original flight was cancelled and they put me on an earlier one..... Heathrow connection ..... Just hope my bags have made it .....

If you want to search my threads posted look for the Freedom Surprise Cruise blog for a laugh.

Bit upset right now.

BA managed to deliver one suitcase..... But not the one with the presents. It's still at Heathrow.

And their CS agent hung up on me.

And it's cold and raining.

In cab.

Sigh.

Oh dear :( Post cruise blues....A friend got me onto your blog, and I have so enjoyed it. I hope the other case gets home soon and that looking over this thread again will make you smile in a few days. It will be cold and raining here soon too. ;)

Bit upset right now.

BA managed to deliver one suitcase..... But not the one with the presents. It's still at Heathrow.

And their CS agent hung up on me.

And it's cold and raining.

In cab.

Sigh.

What a Downer after such a great cruise

More woes.

The flight my abandoned case was supposed to be on has eventually landed late (we have Hurricane Katie disrupting the weather down south) am still waiting to hear when I will receive it..... I remain optmistic.

The case I did get is damaged. I pointed it out at the airport and received details of how to claim.

I'd paid for an extra case for the internal flights but it turns out I earned enough points on my outbound flights that they upgraded my BA Executive Club Level so I needn't have paid for the extra case for the return leg..... so that's also been raised.

2 loads of laundry done..... there's more to come.... seen my adorable grandsons.... and desperately trying to stay awake until bedtime.