Alexandria Va to Baltimore Cruise port

gkeep

I just booked a cruise on April 23rd out of Baltimore MD. I am from Hawaii and have never been on the east coast. My husband has a conference in Alexandria VA. It ends at noon on the 23rd ( a Saturday). From what I have been able to research, we should be able to make it to the port with plenty of time. We need to be checked in by 3:30pm. I have some quote requests in to the goshuttle and town car direct pick ups from the hotel to the port.

My husband is looking into rental car, and I know the public transportation is cheaper and reliable. But I worry about these options as we have only about 3 hours max to get there and I would hate to not make the cruise because we missed a train or took a wrong one, or a wrong turn in traffic.

First of all, do you think our time line is doable? and what options do you suggest? I don't have prices yet on car, and shuttle from DCA to the port is $95 for both.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated! Thank you!

Don't rent a car, get a car service. You are cutting it close as it is, since you will have to drive through or around both DC and Baltimore, which can be tricky even on a Saturday afternoon. I can't recommend a service, but someone here may be able to. Or you can ask your hotel to arrange one.

I agree that you are cutting it close. Once, while returning home from a cruise on the Pride, we were heading southbound on 95. Very little traffic was coming northbound. Then we saw the accident on the northbound side that had shut down all but one lane. The traffic extended for miles.

Certainly there are alternate routes, but this is the sort of thing that always worries me until I am actually ON the ship.

I also agree that hiring a car is your best bet. A rental burdens you with having to worry about directions - and not knowing alternate routes. I am not sure where you would return the car.

I wish you good luck on reaching the port in a timely manner and that you will have a wonderful cruise!

As another local, 3 hours is really tight! From Alexandria, if you know what you're doing, there are multiple options, but all of them can randomly be bad at any time.

Where in Alexandria? The Alexandria zip code encompasses a big swatch of NoVA that can change your travel time 20-30 minutes depending on your origin. AND, the most direct route on the 23rd at about noon along I395 to the BW Parkway will also take you right by Nationals Park, and there is a game.

A driver who knows what he or she is doing would be vital to making this work. Skipping the last session or two of the conference would be even better...

Thank you for your replies!

I thought we would be ok when we booked it since the maps say 55 min. We are most likely staying at the Hotel Monaco in Old town. Its actually a training class for a position with a business group ( president training) - with the "graduation" from 11-12 that Sat. My husband's work and the business organization is paying for his flight and expenses for that part of the trip, so we really need to try and stay for the whole thing. It is hard to tell if we can get away early until we get there.

I will definitely be passing your comments on to my husband, I am all for the car service.

thanks!

Thank you for your replies!

I thought we would be ok when we booked it since the maps say 55 min. We are most likely staying at the Hotel Monaco in Old town. Its actually a training class for a position with a business group ( president training) - with the "graduation" from 11-12 that Sat. My husband's work and the business organization is paying for his flight and expenses for that part of the trip, so we really need to try and stay for the whole thing. It is hard to tell if we can get away early until we get there.

I will definitely be passing your comments on to my husband, I am all for the car service.

thanks!

So you're midway between I-395 and the Beltway from there. If the Beltway is clear, you should be OK. If the Beltway is a mess (happens even on Saturdays), you have to go on 395/295 and the BW Parkway, through the pre-game traffic. It should work, but it could be tight.

You are probably OK, it is just that the "Penalty for Failure" is rather expensive.

Another advantage of hiring a car service is the driver is more likely to be clued into any traffic problems, and will know if for example, the Beltway is backed up.

Will you be attending the "Graduation"? If not I'd say get the car for 11:45, load your luggage and have the driver wait for your husband (it might cost you a little, but again, compared to the "Penalty for Failure" it won't be much).

Edited by Pony Player

Yeah, car service is probably going to be your best bet.

However, there is a MARC (commuter) train leaving Union Station at 12:30 that puts you in Baltimore at 1:30. The train station in Baltimore is about 20 minutes from the cruise port. That would give you plenty of time on the Baltimore end to get to the ship and you'd skip the drama of I-95 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. Unfortunately, it would be really tight to get from the hotel to Union Station in time so I don't think I can recommend this. There could be a better timed Amtrak train if the train option is appealing to you, but it will be more expensive than the MARC train (though possibly cheaper than the car).

Yeah, car service is probably going to be your best bet.

However, there is a MARC (commuter) train leaving Union Station at 12:30 that puts you in Baltimore at 1:30. The train station in Baltimore is about 20 minutes from the cruise port. That would give you plenty of time on the Baltimore end to get to the ship and you'd skip the drama of I-95 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. Unfortunately, it would be really tight to get from the hotel to Union Station in time so I don't think I can recommend this. There could be a better timed Amtrak train if the train option is appealing to you, but it will be more expensive than the MARC train (though possibly cheaper than the car).

I was wondering if MARC would work, too. I used to take it from MD suburbs to downtown DC and thought it was great - usually quite dependable and on-time, and comfy.

Doesn't Amtrak have service to Alexandria? If so, it's complicated, but you could cab it or possibly take a bus to the Alexandria train station and get up to Baltimore that way, then cab it to the port. Or you could possibly do Amtrak to DC (Union Station) and transfer there to a MARC train - maybe a little cheaper if the timing was right. Amtrak and MARC are close together at Union Station, and you CAN (though more expensive) buy a MARC ticket on the MARC train. There are also kiosks there (cheaper) to buy tix.

I was wondering if MARC would work, too. I used to take it from MD suburbs to downtown DC and thought it was great - usually quite dependable and on-time, and comfy.

Doesn't Amtrak have service to Alexandria? If so, it's complicated, but you could cab it or possibly take a bus to the Alexandria train station and get up to Baltimore that way, then cab it to the port. Or you could possibly do Amtrak to DC (Union Station) and transfer there to a MARC train - maybe a little cheaper if the timing was right. Amtrak and MARC are close together at Union Station, and you CAN (though more expensive) buy a MARC ticket on the MARC train. There are also kiosks there (cheaper) to buy tix.

There's a 12:15 NE Regional from Alexandria that arrives in Baltimore Penn at 2:09 (you lose a half hour changing engines at Union Station). I have a hard time recommending that because of the built in 30 minute penalty, but with a saver it's currently $56 per person (which is highway robbery as you can usually go from Union Station to New York Penn for that!). But it's also a roughly 8 minute cab ride to Alexandria station from the Monaco...

The NE Regional Trains go hourly from Union Station through Baltimore, but only every 2-3 hours from south of town. If you're going to have to grab a cab to Union Station then catch a train, then catch a cab, I'd go for a car service at the absolute earliest moment you can get away!

I would definitely suggest a car or van service. We live in the area and have one that takes us to Baltimore or even up to to Cape Liberty. They are a small business but very reliable. We had 6 people and 12 bags but we're comfortable all the way to Jersey. They even picked us up early on the return trip (which worried us but they stayed overnight to accommodate our early pick up. I can give you the info off line if you want.

Hawaii was a great cruise - you have a beautiful part of our country. After another 6 inches of snow here today it sounds wonderful!

• 1 month later...
I would definitely suggest a car or van service. We live in the area and have one that takes us to Baltimore or even up to to Cape Liberty. They are a small business but very reliable. We had 6 people and 12 bags but we're comfortable all the way to Jersey. They even picked us up early on the return trip (which worried us but they stayed overnight to accommodate our early pick up. I can give you the info off line if you want.

Hawaii was a great cruise - you have a beautiful part of our country. After another 6 inches of snow here today it sounds wonderful!

I would really love to have the info of the company that helped you. I haven't booked anyone yet because I am having a hard time deciding who would be reputable and reasonable. Most of the websites are so cookie cutter for the town car reservations.

thank you to everyone else on the marc and train information! I don't think I would be comfortable using that method as I am not used to using and public transit and wouldn't want to screw up with time constraints.

Agree with car service. The main reason is because they will know alternative routes. If I-95 is bad, they can jump off onto the BW Parkway (295) or even rt 1(not ideal) to circumvent problems, but of course others will do the same. But, since you're not from the area, I wouldn't suggest renting a car with a tight schedule and not knowing the area. We live in NoVA, west of Alexandria by 20 miles or so and we go around the top of the beltway to I-95 which takes us about 1 hr and 10 min in good traffic. It's taken us 2 hours in heavy rush hour traffic before with no real delays, just slow moving in spots. The train would be great if the schedule works, but even then, there can be delays and cancellations.