Review -- 20 family members on the Breeze -- January 2016-- Eastern Caribbean

brookeq

Great review! We are doing the same cruise on the Breeze at the end of March. Also doing several days in Disney after the cruise.

I haven't figured out how to get from the car rental drop off to the pier yet, Which car rental outlet did you use?

we rented from alamo. There are two different alamos in miami. Since we rented from the disney world the return was an alamo at a hotel in a miami. That is why there was no shuttle. It was a 12 dollar taxi ride.

There was shuttle for the other alamo. I saw it drop people off.

Grand Turk

IMG_8903_zpsienw2puu.jpg

I Got up early to go for a little run. Always nice to see the sun peeking thru.

IMG_0702_zps6nsg1eby.jpg

I decided to try one of the breakfast burritos from blue iguana. I enjoyed it. But the eggs they used in it are the same as the scrambled eggs at the buffet. Not the greatest.

Afterwards I watched us sail by the main part of the island I assume. I was very excited for Grand Turk. I liked the idea of just walking off and being at our destination. No lugging stuff around and squeezing into cabs. No bargaining prices and trying to rent chairs.

Eventually we were pulling into port. I was not too happy to see another ship there. I thought I checked before we left and read we were the only ship to be there. I didn’t want a full ship there already taking all the good spots.

We got off the ship right away and walked to the main beach area. We found some chairs a few rows back in the shade.

IMG_8921_zpsnbwl7yaq.jpg

It turns out the ship in port with us was a chartered Holland America cruise. It was for lesbians only. No men or kids were allowed. I didn’t know this until the next day. But I guess some of our nieces and nephews saw some women holding hands and kissing and had questions for their parents (they live in Utah and aren’t exposed to much). Obviously it didn’t bother me because I didn’t even realize.

We mainly stayed in the main beach area this day.

IMG_8886_zpswml4hsl8.jpg

The kids loved the shallow water. We brought some tubes and noodles and our inlaws rented some mats for $5 i think

IMG_8916_zpsep2f71ql.jpg

I wanted to get a picture of us swimming in the water with our ship in the background but the holland america ship blocked ours.

IMG_8907_zpsxluwgt21.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience/review:-). Reviews hold me over between cruises, lol! Was your dining time set to early or did you do any-time dining?

Since we were a large group we did early dining. It would be too hard to get so many people to eat together during anytime. We only felt rushed one time to get ready for dinner at 6.

Our last cruise it was just us and our friends. We did anytime dining and enjoyed it. Although most days we went at a opening anyways to avoid waits.

The kids built a sandcastle,

IMG_8911_zpsxgdg2rwm.jpg

and snorkeled a little and played catch.

IMG_8899_zps6hkqbrxm.jpg

Some of the girls got their hair braided including my daughter. I think we talked her into $3 a braid.

IMG_8931_zpsvwoucpml.jpg

One of our nieces and their mother started to feel sick today. They got bad chills and just laid on a beach chair. I felt bad.

Later in the day we walked over to the conch shell grave yard. I loved this walk. It wasn’t too hard.

IMG_8934_zpsica3r25s.jpg

I loved having the beach area to ourselves.

IMG_8956_zpsizxvwb0r.jpg

We passed the whale on the way.

IMG_8939_zpsnw8tfxy6.jpg

and the space statues but i didn't take pictures of them.

Edited by brookeq

We finally got some great views of our ship.

IMG_8946_zps8xypvvla.jpg

We did find some shells so all of the kids were happy. Here are the ones my kids took home with us.

IMG_1641_zpsioaluxcp.jpg

We stayed out until after 2 and then headed back to the ship. We never did make it over to the pool. I was surprised because I thought the kids would be begging to go there.

My one sister in law took a cab to Pillroy beach. The really enjoyed it. If she sends me some pictures I will post them on here. My brother in law and his wife who we didn't really see rented ATVs.

Overall i enjoyed Grand Turk. It was a nice easy beach day. I like just getting off the ship and the beach being right there. No taxi, no haggling, no paying for beach chairs. It is a great stop if you have kids or just want to relax. The pool is a great option too. I think if we came back we would utilize that more.

I did notice that when I got back on the ship I had a lot of bug bites. No one else did though. I am assuming it was sand fleas. Some on our roll call mentioned seeing a lot of ants???

Here are some misc. pics from our day...

IMG_8957_zps8hljbn9j.jpg

You can see the beach walk we took to get to the conch shell graveyard. Sometimes it was sand. Sometimes it was rocky like you can see behind the boys here.

IMG_8942_zpsagbqxirf.jpg

A rare happy smile from my boy!

IMG_8902_zpsypnochzq.jpg

IMG_8892_zpsj56muvtq.jpg

hahaha! I brought my own beach umbrella on our cruise to Grand Turk. Did you bring on too!?!? We used it a lot on our beach stops, saved us a ton of money on clamshells or having to sit in the back under the palm trees!

Not this trip. :) We over packed as it is. We did pack lots of our own sand toys, blow up tubes, and noodles. $5 for a tube for each kid at the beaches adds up quick. We got ours at the dollar store

That umbrella and chair were there all day but I never saw anyone use it.

Thanks for all your effort...wonderful family..helpful and fun review. I am sad we never got the cruise I wanted with my mom...but not all into it. I am going to try with somebody in my family God willing one day. I do have a wonderful fiftieth wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii in my bank...my grandparents (my first trip at 19) and my folks (at 49) and I am thankful beyond words for it with my mom as the master planner both times lol. It really helps to read experience for the joys and the meltdowns..LOL...we had them too...again thanks..my dream...maybe one of my nieces and/or nephews and their family one day...

Thank you...love your son and daughter.

Edited by sjn911

That night we had reservations for the steakhouse. We have never been so I was very excited. We had the kids eat dinner and then dropped them off the kids club dinner. They post the menus so i saw it was something they wouldn’t really eat so that is why i fed them beforehand.

IMG_0722_zps5udyyuay.jpg

Our reservation was for 6:00. The place was not full at that time.

You can see the menu for the steakhouse here.

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/steakhouse-menu.ashx

We started with some bread that was yummy and the chef gave us a small sampler of something. i don't remember what it was but here is a picture:

IMG_0725_zpsuvg4ksag.jpg

For our appetizers I got the crab cake and my husband got the ahi tuna tartare. And we both got salads.

IMG_0727_zps4oem1n8b.jpg

IMG_0728_zpsiwmrefj8.jpg

For the main course I got the filet with a side of mashed potatoes. It was very good. The mashed potatoes were very good and it made it hard to eat the ones in the main dining room the rest of the week.

My husband got the NY strip and the steamed broccoli. He also was happy with his meal. Both of our steaks were cooked perfectly.

IMG_0730_zpsmhyxnjph.jpg

For dessert we both got the chocolate sampler. I enjoyed them all except the tiramisu one. Coffee isn’t my thing. My husband liked them all. I didn’t get a picture of dessert.

Overall the steakhouse was a nice dining experience and worth the $35 per person. Our servers were very nice and did a great job so we tipped them extra.

Edited by brookeq

After dinner we stopped to see our family in the main dining area. They were singing happy birthday to our BIL.

IMG_0732_zpsuqv3hmy2.jpg

Then we went to the spa together. It was nice to have some kid free time.

We relaxed in the steam rooms and pool and then headed to get the kids.

IMG_0737_zpszsmte6iw.jpg

They were happy with their towel animal and we were off to bed.

IMG_0738_zpsooelzxcy.jpg

I forgot to mention that on the way to kids club we stopped to look at our pictures from formal night. They had a background set up and I had the kids get their picture. They did great this time. Of course my husband and I were not in this picture. Family formal pictures never work out for some reason. So we did buy this picture with some of our on board credit that we had.

Untitled-1_zpsxoibwk1y.jpg

We also had it turned into a Christmas ornament.

Edited by brookeq

Thanks for all your effort...wonderful family..helpful and fun review. I am sad we never got the cruise I wanted with my mom...but not all into it. I am going to try with somebody in my family God willing one day. I do have a wonderful fiftieth wedding anniversary trip to Hawaii in my bank...my grandparents (my first trip at 19) and my folks (at 49) and I am thankful beyond words for it with my mom as the master planner both times lol. It really helps to read experience for the joys and the meltdowns..LOL...we had them too...again thanks..my dream...maybe one of my nieces and/or nephews and their family one day...

Thank you...love your son and daughter.

Thanks for reading. I hope you get to cruise with family soon. :)

Day 4 – Puerto Rico

I woke up early and felt that we were going pretty fast . We seemed to be rocking but i looked out and it was calm seas. Turns out we were going fast. There was an announcement that due to a medical emergency we would be arrive in San Juan early...around 11:00 am instead of 1:00.

I did a short workout and then had breakfast at the blue iguana. I had the huevos rancheros for breakfast. I enjoyed these more than the breakfast burritos. I also tried an arepas but didn’t care for it.

After breakfast I told the kids we would go to the thrill theater. I checked the schedule and it said it was open. When we went down it was closed and no one ever came to open it. I guess it was due to the ship arriving early in Puerto Rico. It was then i realized they were starting the Dr. Seuss parade early too. My daughter wanted to go so we ran and made it just in time. It was cute. I didn't have my camera to take any pictures.

We went up and the kids played mini golf and i got to try the ropes course this time.

IMG_0740_zps1abu5gr8.jpg

There was no one at the sky course so my son wanted to try again. The guys were so nice and one got on and walked with him to help him. But he still couldn’t over come is fear. So the worked helped him go back and gave him a medal for being brave and trying.

IMG_0758_zpstn89yrbe.jpg

The ropes course was fun. I am glad I did it. I had no need to do again but I liked it.

After we got off the ropes course we started to sail by San Juan. You could see the fort El Morro. It was fun to sail in to this port. Lots to look at.

IMG_0779_zpsgm7psa06.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsamkux8vw.jpg

They took care of the medical emergency and then the ship was cleared and you could get off early if you were ready. We wanted to have lunch before getting off. This slowed us down and then we had to wait to get off. For some reason that I forget, you could get off early but then they had to bring the gangway up for a little bit. So if you didn’t get off right away you would have to wait. We ended getting off close after 12:30. So not too early but no big deal.

We dropped the kids off at kids club. My mother and father in law were staying on the ship and they had signing in and out privelages for the kids so I felt comfortable leaving them.

Our plan was to walk to the forts and maybe check out the chocolate restaruant we read about on here.

Grand Turk

IMG_8903_zpsienw2puu.jpg

I Got up early to go for a little run. Always nice to see the sun peeking thru.

IMG_0702_zps6nsg1eby.jpg

I decided to try one of the breakfast burritos from blue iguana. I enjoyed it. But the eggs they used in it are the same as the scrambled eggs at the buffet. Not the greatest.

Afterwards I watched us sail by the main part of the island I assume. I was very excited for Grand Turk. I liked the idea of just walking off and being at our destination. No lugging stuff around and squeezing into cabs. No bargaining prices and trying to rent chairs.

Eventually we were pulling into port. I was not too happy to see another ship there. I thought I checked before we left and read we were the only ship to be there. I didn’t want a full ship there already taking all the good spots.

We got off the ship right away and walked to the main beach area. We found some chairs a few rows back in the shade.

IMG_8921_zpsnbwl7yaq.jpg

It turns out the ship in port with us was a chartered Holland America cruise. It was for lesbians only. No men or kids were allowed. I didn’t know this until the next day. But I guess some of our nieces and nephews saw some women holding hands and kissing and had questions for their parents (they live in Utah and aren’t exposed to much). Obviously it didn’t bother me because I didn’t even realize.

We mainly stayed in the main beach area this day.

IMG_8886_zpswml4hsl8.jpg

The kids loved the shallow water. We brought some tubes and noodles and our inlaws rented some mats for $5 i think

IMG_8916_zpsep2f71ql.jpg

I wanted to get a picture of us swimming in the water with our ship in the background but the holland america ship blocked ours.

IMG_8907_zpsxluwgt21.jpg

We had the same thing happen on my cruise and the HA boat. Our ship was on the good side unlike yours.

Since we would be doing a lot of walking today we gave the kids the option of coming to see the forts or staying at the kids club. Happy kids means happy vacation and I like to let them choose things they enjoy also. As my son once told me "Its my vacation too". They chose to stay on the boat.

We dropped the kids off at kids club. My mother and father in law were staying on the ship and they had signing in and out privileges for the kids so I felt comfortable leaving them. They had the kids club phones and we had our cell phones.

Our plan was to walk to the forts and maybe check out the chocolate restaurant we read about on here.

When we got off the ship it was warm. I couldn’t imagine coming in the summer. We put on sunblock and our bug spray since the zika virus warning was emailed to us by Carnival. Then we were off.

There are lots of little stands on the road when you come out. So it gets a little congested. Once you are off that road its fine.

We have AT&T cell service so we were able to use our phones. We just put the forts in the GPS and followed the directions. We went to San Cristobal first. It wasn’t a bad walk. It is up hill though.

IMG_8966_zpslxusbcpy.jpg

We walked all around the fort and read the different placques. We liked the forts. But the scenery from the forts was our favorite part. The grounds are very nice.

IMG_8980_zpsbnmbom3y.jpg

The entrance fee was $5 per person. That includes entrance to the other fort. Kids under 16 are free.

We enjoyed visiting the fort. The only thing I didn’t like is that most of the rooms were empty. They had plaques describing what they were (sleeping area, jail cell, etc) but were just big empty rooms. I would have maybe liked to see a recreation of what would be inside the room. But I would still recommend the visit regardless.

IMG_8963_zpsny3arni6.jpg

IMG_8967_zpsil5vrjb6.jpg

IMG_8977_zpspevplazw.jpg

IMG_8985_zpsuf3dnwtv.jpg

Edited by brookeq

Some of our nieces were still not feeling well so they decided to head back to the ship.

We decided to do the 1 mile walk to the El Morro. You can see it from San Cristobal so it was an easy walk. The worst part is that when you get there its a huge long sidewalk up to it. Ha ha.

You can see the distance in this picture that I posted earlier:

IMG_8980_zpsbnmbom3y.jpg

You can see the long walk to it here

IMG_9008_zpstf5nzwid.jpg

We made it!

IMG_9014_zpsqj0islup.jpg

This fort was similar to the other one. We enjoyed our visit here. Only negative is that the bathrooms had no working water that day for drinking or hand washing.

IMG_9021_zpsyohsg7hv.jpg

IMG_9024_zpsporbrubc.jpg

IMG_9017_zpsdfrhy9am.jpg

If you had to choose one fort over the other, which one did you enjoy the most? Don't think we will have time to go to both, very short port time in San Juan, wondered which one had the most to see and better overall views? Also your children are adorable, and I am really enjoying your review!

Edited by 13cheermom