Noro on Riviera again

RJB

I guess it is fine to mock people who truly got sick on the Feb. 2-12 cruise or the person who was taken away by ambulance in Key West. Or the couple that canceled their Feb. 12th cruise after being quarantined for 3 days and desperately ill. My husband got very ill early in the cruise and since he has battled a blood infection in the past, this was serious business. Oceania did not put the cleaning procedures into place until 3 days after he got sick. I believe they should have been put in place sooner so that less people got sick onboard our ship and so that it would have been eradicated by the time the Feb. 12th cruise took off.

Welcome to cruise critic

In reading the post that offended you, I didn't have the impression that anyone was being mocked. It was the fact that we had heard nothing more after the initial reports so it wasn't unreasonable to conclude that the first comments had been more rumor than substance. In the past there have been many follow-ups after a problem was announced here ... including my posts to the list (and a roll call on a cruise after ours) when we had the outbreak on MARINA last May.

I certainly hope your husband is doing better now. It's very true that this ailment can be very serious.

Mura

I agree that the virus is everywhere and anyone can contract it. However, there are two things that contribute to the spreading of the virus. The first is the fact that most people will not report the symptoms to the medical office because of the cost and because they will be quarantined. Secondly, the Oceania did not respond with their "protocol" until 3 days after it was reported which allowed a lot more people to get ill. After the first suspected case, they should have given complimentary visits like they did later in the week. Also, they are very lax about the quarantine. I ran into a woman in the hall speaking to others about her husband and their quarantine and all his symptoms. She was not in the room!!!

I agree that the virus is everywhere and anyone can contract it. However, there are two things that contribute to the spreading of the virus. The first is the fact that most people will not report the symptoms to the medical office because of the cost and because they will be quarantined. Secondly, the Oceania did not respond with their "protocol" until 3 days after it was reported which allowed a lot more people to get ill. After the first suspected case, they should have given complimentary visits like they did later in the week. Also, they are very lax about the quarantine. I ran into a woman in the hall speaking to others about her husband and their quarantine and all his symptoms. She was not in the room!!!

I agree if people who are ill do not report to the doctor then how would the cruise line know

Even if they did charge a fee that is what travel insurance it for

Not sure how they can keep people in their cabins unless they post a guard outside the door

If people will not take the quarantine seriously what can be done ???

So are you saying you were out & about when you were supposed to be in quarantine or am I misreading your statement ?

Lyn,

I expect that Christine Frances thought you were being sarcastic ... which was NOT the way I interpreted your comment!

Quoting Sheri75:

"Secondly, the Oceania did not respond with their "protocol" until 3 days after it was reported which allowed a lot more people to get ill. After the first suspected case, they should have given complimentary visits like they did later in the week. Also, they are very lax about the quarantine. I ran into a woman in the hall speaking to others about her husband and their quarantine and all his symptoms. She was not in the room!!! "

Given Riviera's Noro problems a few months ago I would have expected the staff to react more promptly when signs showed up that it might have recurred again.

How did that woman in the hall translate "quarantine"? It doesn't count if she is ALMOST in the room?

Mura

Lyn,

I expect that Christine Frances thought you were being sarcastic ... which was NOT the way I interpreted your comment!

Mura

If I was being sarcastic you would know :D

If you are going to read/post on cruise critic you need to have a thick skin & some of us over the years have developed one ;)

The posts were partly in jest & yes NORO is not fun to have

been there done that:eek:

I still think Oceania or any cruise line need to lock people in their cabins for the 1st 48 hrs then put minders in the public washroom making sure people know how to use soap & water after they use the toilet

Then have staff at every entrance squirting people with gel

& just in case some people take it seriously I AM JUST KIDDING (or maybe not ) :)

Edited by LHT28

I must have missed some posts because I did not read any comments mocking people who became ill. Speaking for myself I was making fun of people on CC who over react and beat a subject to death.

Noro is not fun. And I feel badly for anyone who gets sick onboard a ship. I hope it doesn't happen to us when we board Riviera Monday. But some people on CC have a habit of turning everything into a firestorm. I don't blame Oceania though it may make some people feel better to do so. People get on the ship sick and it spreads in a contained environment. It's incredibly hard to eradicate. I refuse to believe that Oceania doesn't take it very seriously and do everything they can to stop the spread of the virus.

Hi!

Michael and I were just on Riviera and disembarked two weeks ago. There were no reported noro cases on our cruise. I did see several women leave the bathroom without washing their hands. Perhaps if more of the passengers had better hygiene, there would be less health problems aboard.

Our cruise was wonderful! The food and service were better than ever!

We return to Riviera for a 14 night cruise in March.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Rhea

just heard this from a friend who is on the ship currently:

Announcement over loud speaker..."disembarking on St Martin has been suspended!!!" Now just announced...."health inspectors are onboard checking things out."

Feels like we're a ship of refugees nobody wants!!

Nancy

just heard this from a friend who is on the ship currently:

Announcement over loud speaker..."disembarking on St Martin has been suspended!!!" Now just announced...."health inspectors are onboard checking things out."

Feels like we're a ship of refugees nobody wants!!

Nancy

Was not this ship denied entry to Bermuda recently?

posted on the CDC site

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2016/february12_oceania_riviera.htm

But not for the previous cruise that seemed to have it

There actually is a report from the November 18-22 cruise on the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2015/dec2_oceania_riviera.htm

Additionally, an inspection of the ship was done in December and that report is also available online: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTg3ODAxOTg%3d-XwyRKC%2fTqa8%3d

Was not this ship denied entry to Bermuda recently?

Yes, back in November or December during the crossing from Europe. in addition, the ship had the virus on the following cruise and possibly beyond. I'm sure others that know more can elaborate or you can do a search

Just heard again from my friend that all passengers have to show their keycards to enter any of the dining venues as some paxs that are sick are sneaking out of their rooms!!! unreal.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Riviera in late November was indeed scheduled to overnight in Bermuda. The Noro outbreak caused Bermudan authorities to refuse the ship entry. So, off she sailed for another two days. The port of Nassau has all the charm of a Greyhound Bus Terminal.

The whole episode - noro was but one aspect of a much wider set of problems - left me feeling I was stuck on the S.S. Minnow. At least with Gilligan & Co there would have been some yuks. There were no laffs & this was no 3 hour tour!

There actually is a report from the November 18-22 cruise on the CDC's website:

I was thinking of the Feb 2-12th cruise that mentioned it was onboard

I seem to recall the ship was clean from mid Dec until the Feb 2nd cruise

Just heard again from my friend that all passengers have to show their keycards to enter any of the dining venues as some paxs that are sick are sneaking out of their rooms!!! unreal.

Nancy

Unbelievable :eek:

This is how it spreads& no matter how much cleaning the crew does these people will just keep spreading the virus

This is how it spreads& no matter how much cleaning the crew does these people will just keep spreading the virus

it's unreal. these people are just so inconsiderate.

I sail Crystal exclusively, and was on one cruise in 2013 that had the virus.

My husband and I did not get sick, thank god. I must say that the officers and crew stepped up to the situation immediately and most of the affected passengers went to the doc or had the doc and nurses to their cabins/suites in a very timely fashion. There was no charge for the doctor and those paxs that were quarantined were credited on a per diem basis for the days they were quarantined. There were many crew that got sick as well. The cruise originated in Vancouver and the bulk of the ports were in the US and ending in LA. Procedures went into effect very fast. the lido restaurant/buffet is normally self-serve but extra staff was added and you could not serve yourself. In addition, in the entrance to every dining venue there were crew members standing at the hand sanitizer machines to enforce that everyone used them. At each port, by day two, there were additional people brought on the ship to assist the crew in deep cleaning and sanitizing the ship. Passengers on the next cruise received info via email from their TA's a couple of days prior to embarkation about the situation and embarkation was delayed by several hours in LA. The situation was under control and there was no outbreak on the next cruise.

Bottom line, I do read this board often and have read all of the post about the virus that started in November on the Riviera. It seems to me that the staff and crew aboard the ship could have done a better job with this...informing and communicating with the passengers. Then again, some passengers are very inconsiderate and do not care about others. I know this is not an Oceania only issue. JUst my 2 cents.

I hope all will get under control sooner than later as it is not a good situation for those that are ill and those that want to stay healthy.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

Wonder why this is. Many ships have outbreaks and they are controlled, passengers follow the rules. On some lines they check you in you room every so often to be sure you are following the quarantine. Since I read here very often how Oceania passengers are above average I wonder why they do not wash their hands and break quarantine?

Since I read here very often how Oceania passengers are above average I wonder why they do not wash their hands and break quarantine?

Because some passengers, yourself included obviously, despite sailing on Oceania ships, do not consider themselves to be a part of the larger Oceania community....

In their minds, this disaffection gives them a pass to do unkind and selfish things.

Sad really......