Noro on Riviera again

RJB

If we have to wait in the Miami port for 2 or 3 hours on Monday, what is there to do? I assume there are restrooms, but is there anything else? Anyplace to get something to eat, or should we bring a goodie bag? We will be taking the CruiseConnection bus from Sarasota and it is supposed to arrive around 11, so we don't have much choice but to wait it out.

I am really starting to get concerned about this (still a little short of freaking out, but concerned none the less). I take a drug for rheumatoid arthritis which weakens the immune system making me much more susceptible to infections. My husband has Parkinson's and I look after him. We have trip insurance, so I will be contacting them tomorrow morning as well as talking to my doctor. I know that someone posted earlier about trip insurance possibly covering a cancellation under these circumstances, but has anyone actually had experience with that?

I always try to be optimistic so I am hoping that these are all unwarranted concerns and that everything will be fine.

If we have to wait in the Miami port for 2 or 3 hours on Monday, what is there to do? I assume there are restrooms, but is there anything else? Anyplace to get something to eat, or should we bring a goodie bag? We will be taking the CruiseConnection bus from Sarasota and it is supposed to arrive around 11, so we don't have much choice but to wait it out.

I would drop your bags with the porter & grab a taxi to Bayside

wander, shop, eat until it is time to board the ship after 2pm

There is nothing in the port buildings

Goodness..... the ship isn't "sick" and there does not need to be any restitution. This is winter - many people are sick with Noro and other viruses - some gastrointestinal. On top of that, people lie on the form prior to boarding the ship (which, in a strange way is understandable since they could forfeit 100% of their cruise fare if deemed too sick to sail.)

I cannot tell you how many times I've caught a cold/cough onboard a ship (not Oceania's Riviera which we have sailed twice). Passengers cough and sneeze in your face (or sit behind you in a bus and cough/sneeze) and many do not bother to wash their hands. It is easy to blame a cruise line for what passengers cause but, IMO, you are not placing the blame where it belongs.

The one thing that Oceania (and other cruise lines) could do is to allow passengers that are ill to book another cruise without a penalty. They are not likely to do that as there is a high probability of abuse -- so this problem will continue -- on just about every cruise line. Isn't it time for people to either get over it or make the decision not to leave your home? You are actually more likely to catch something on an airplane than on a cruise ship. Perhaps we should all stop flying or maybe expect the airline to give you a credit?

Edited by Travelcat2

Goodness..... the ship isn't "sick" and there does not need to be any restitution. This is winter - many people are sick with Noro and other viruses - some gastrointestinal. On top of that, people lie on the form prior to boarding the ship (which, in a strange way is understandable since they could forfeit 100% of their cruise fare if deemed too sick to sail.)

I cannot tell you how many times I've caught a cold/cough onboard a ship (not Oceania's Riviera which we have sailed twice). Passengers cough and sneeze in your face (or sit behind you in a bus and cough/sneeze) and many do not bother to wash their hands. It is easy to blame a cruise line for what passengers cause but, IMO, you are not placing the blame where it belongs.

The one thing that Oceania (and other cruise lines) could do is to allow passengers that are ill to book another cruise without a penalty. They are not likely to do that as there is a high probability of abuse -- so this problem will continue -- on just about every cruise line. Isn't it time for people to either get over it or make the decision not to leave your home? You are actually more likely to catch something on an airplane than on a cruise ship. Perhaps we should all stop flying or maybe expect the airline to give you a credit?

Agree...It is Winter and many people have the flu and if you decide to travel anywhere in Winter whether on an airplane, stay in a hotel, or take a cruise with thousands of people, it is highly likely you will be exposed.

Hope all get well soon.

In China, they checked your temperature at the airport and in some of the ports. If cruise lines did this for boarding passengers, it would prevent some of the issues; but it would also keep a lot of people off of a cruise that are just getting over a bacterial infection rather than Noro. It is a difficult situation that is normally caused by the passengers rather than the cruise line. It is most unfortunate. We will be boarding the Riviera in a month and I feel very confident that Oceania will do everything they can to reduce the spread of Noro if there is any. We are looking forward to boarding our favorite ship.

Great news for those of us on the 2/22 cruise😃 Just heard from my TA they're bringing the Riviera back 2 days early for a thorough cleaning. Offering guests hotel rooms, discount off this cruise and also a future cruise. So maybe they'll really get her spiffy clean. Doesn't stop sick people from coming on board but at least it may rid the ship of any previous issues. Fingers crossed! I'm packing😃

Great news for those of us on the 2/22 cruise[emoji2] Just heard from my TA they're bringing the Riviera back 2 days early for a thorough cleaning. Offering guests hotel rooms, discount off this cruise and also a future cruise. So maybe they'll really get her spiffy clean. Doesn't stop sick people from coming on board but at least it may rid the ship of any previous issues. Fingers crossed! I'm packing[emoji2]

Great news.

That's great, two days gives any crew member who is sick time to recover as they can bring shore staff on board to clean. They are in a catch 22 with the crew. If they allow too many to call in sick then passengers complain of poor service, if they keep some border line working then the noro never goes away.

Of course we are exposed to germs when we travel, but IMO this is a bit different when it's been a repetitive problem. I caught a cold on an RC cruise once (and stayed in our suite for the duration of the cruise), and have been sick after flying, but those situations are not the same as what people on these cruises have experienced.

I just think that a small goodwill gesture on Oceania's part for those on affected cruises would be appreciated. Necessary? Perhaps not, but as a passenger, if I were offered $100 as a cruise credit or OBC on a future cruise to make up for any inconvenience I'd experienced, I'd certainly appreciate it and have a very positive feeling towards the company. Going above what's required never hurts.

And for Oceania to bring the ship back two days early, it sounds like they believe it's a significant enough problem to warrant additional attention. Kudos to Oceania for addressing the issue and treating passengers right.

Edited by hiccups
added additional comment

Bitob, I feel that the Riveria needs top side attention.

In the marketing world you can't have a product that not only doesn't perform as advertised but presents a threat to one's health.

We are due to sale on it in a few weeks and are greatly concerned.

They listened. Lol

Great news for those of us on the 2/22 cruise😃 Just heard from my TA they're bringing the Riviera back 2 days early for a thorough cleaning. Offering guests hotel rooms, discount off this cruise and also a future cruise. So maybe they'll really get her spiffy clean. Doesn't stop sick people from coming on board but at least it may rid the ship of any previous issues. Fingers crossed! I'm packing😃

Good news for you guys

not so good news for the hotels that will now have hundreds people with noro spreading the good will in the hotel :(

Had that happen in May in Montreal...people from sick HAL ship staying at our hotel

Hope those crew that have any issues will be able to stay in isolation until they are noro free

Hope that can get it cleaned out before Monday

Obviously it is the ship that is "sick" based on Oceania finally deciding to spend the money to take the proper amount of time to rid Riviera of the Noro that has been onboard since November. O has too many times tried to save money by doing a minor cleaning between cruises that has been ineffective and allowed future sailings to suffer from Noro as well as other forms of gastroenteritis.

While it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere and traditionally more people are sick at this time of year, to put passengers at 100% of the causation is completely incorrect. There is almost always a sharing of blame between passengers and the ship including the crew and in the case of Riveira, the percentage blame to the ship has been increasing as the virus has remained on board as O has not taken the time and spent the money to do a thorough cleaning nor have they provided much if any compensation to their customers for the continuing inconvenience. Has taken almost 3 months for them to finally bring the ship back into port for the thorough cleaning that is necessary to end the continued sickness. Yes, passengers certainly may have caused some of the continuing illness but, the common denominator has been the ship after almost 3 months with new passengers coming and going.

Happy that finally a thorough 2 day cleaning will occur which should remove the virus from the ship and also hope training occurs for the staff so that any possible staff cleanliness issues can be removed from causation.

Really sorry that it has taken almost 3 months for management to finally act and hope that this sick ship is finally made well for the many future customers.

Obviously it is the ship that is "sick" based on Oceania finally deciding to spend the money to take the proper amount of time to rid Riviera of the Noro that has been onboard since November.

I do not recall hearing any reports of Noro on the Dec & Jan cruises so the ship was clean

The people coming aboard were probably not... this may include crew

With Noro you do not know you have it until you are sick ...you can carry the virus with you until the symptoms hit

You do not feel sick until you are :eek:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/norovirus/basics/symptoms/CON-20029968

Signs and symptoms usually begin 24 to 48 hours after first exposure to the virus, and last one to three days. You may continue to shed virus in your feces for up to three days after recovery.

Some people with norovirus infection may show no signs or symptoms. However, they are still contagious and can spread the virus to others.

All I know is that Oceana is addressing this in the best possible way. The passengers on board the ship are getting more than $100 credit I assure you. They're getting a huge discount off this cruise and another discount off a future one. So it didn't make for a very nice cruise, but at least Oceana stepped up. I agree with others that the fault does not lie with Oceania. Still, it is up to them to do their best to correct the situation. And they are doing that. Good for them.

As long as cruisers/staff fail to wash hands for 30 seconds min. after using bathroom and touching public spaces like door handles,railings,it will always be present. On my long Insignia, O took the attitude it was being spread in food. They never enforced using sanitisers prior to entering dining room and guests, probably 75% of them, did not use sanitisers. At least on Celebrity they would not let guests in MDR without using. More attention needed on cleaning all bath and door handles too.So its a shared problem.

Edited by zoncom

All I know is that Oceana is addressing this in the best possible way. The passengers on board the ship are getting more than $100 credit I assure you. They're getting a huge discount off this cruise and another discount off a future one. So it didn't make for a very nice cruise, but at least Oceana stepped up. I agree with others that the fault does not lie with Oceania. Still, it is up to them to do their best to correct the situation. And they are doing that. Good for them.

Copy of envogram sent to travel agent with guests onboard.

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

Because you have clients onboard the Riviera February 12 voyage, we would like to update you on an important change in the itinerary.

Oceania Cruises takes great effort in maintaining a safe and clean environment onboard all of the fleet’s vessels. Over the course of this cruise, we have had a number of guests reporting to the medical center with symptoms of gastroenteritis. The ship has been carrying out an extensive range of sanitizing and preventative measures on board in coordination with United States Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Our first priority is always the safety and well-being of our guests. With our sincerest apologies, we regret to inform you that Riviera will proceed directly to Miami for arrival the evening of Saturday, February 20. All guests must disembark upon arrival in Miami. Once in port, the ship will conduct a multi-day comprehensive sanitation procedure under the close supervision of the CDC.

It is our responsibility to make sure that your clients get home as quickly and comfortably as possible. We have made hotel arrangements for all guests on Saturday and Sunday evenings, so your clients can depart from Miami according to the ship’s original arrival schedule of Monday, February 22. Our Destination Services team onboard will provide additional communication to your clients prior to Saturday evening with their specific arrangements.

In recognition of the shortened cruise, we are providing your clients with a refund which represents 25% of their cruise fare. Refunds will be processed to the same method of payment within 7 to 10 business days. Additionally, as a gesture of good will, we are pleased to extend a future cruise credit to your client valued at 25% of their current cruise fare. The future cruise credit must be redeemed by December 31, 2016 for any cruise departing on or before February 28, 2017. The future cruise credit is non-transferrable, has no cash value, and valid for the cruise fare only.

We sincerely apologize for this change in schedule and thank you again for your understanding and patience. If you have any questions concerning your client’s travel arrangements, please contact the Oceania Cruises call center.

Sincerely,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Passenger Services

Oceania Cruises

Received this from from a friend....he will be happy to answer any questions through me..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Heather, glad that you are happy with your news. ;) We have mixed feelings about our cruise terminating early, and certainly are not looking forward to spending two nights in a strange hotel where the only meals comped will be breakfast.

Also, we are not getting a huge discount as you can read from the letter. The 25% back will represent the amount back for the 2 days we are losing. The 25% off of a future cruise will be in the same amount only IF one is able to take advantage of the offer. For us, the discount would be around $800 pp because we are in a standard veranda that cost $3699 pp. Unfortunately, we will not be able to use this credit within the year because of prior trips already planned. So for us and others in the same situation, we lose out on any "for the inconvenience " good will gesture.

. We have heard many on the ship mention that we passengers should get at least 50% back on our fare because the cruise has been in Code Red from the beginning and the cruise has been hard to enjoy on a daily bases....the smells, wet and ruined clothes, poor service, etc. We ourselves have the unfortunate luck to be right outside of three staff service entrances that have been full of activity day and night and causing us difficulty in getting good quality rest. Buckets of disinfective are being carried in and out, plus left near our stateroom door as well as the next door cabin. :rolleyes:

I am not complaining, but just stating how it is here onboard. I do hope that the next cruise will be free from illness and enjoyable for all. Good luck!

I am not complaining,

Sometime I want to hear what it is like when you DO complain!

Seriously though, sorry for your suffering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Toranut97

Heather, glad that you are happy with your news. ;) We have mixed feelings about our cruise terminating early, and certainly are not looking forward to spending two nights in a strange hotel where the only meals comped will be breakfast.

Also, we are not getting a huge discount as you can read from the letter. The 25% back will represent the amount back for the 2 days we are losing. The 25% off of a future cruise will be in the same amount only IF one is able to take advantage of the offer. For us, the discount would be around $800 pp because we are in a standard veranda that cost $3699 pp. Unfortunately, we will not be able to use this credit within the year because of prior trips already planned. So for us and others in the same situation, we lose out on any "for the inconvenience " good will gesture.

. We have heard many on the ship mention that we passengers should get at least 50% back on our fare because the cruise has been in Code Red from the beginning and the cruise has been hard to enjoy on a daily bases....the smells, wet and ruined clothes, poor service, etc. We ourselves have the unfortunate luck to be right outside of three staff service entrances that have been full of activity day and night and causing us difficulty in getting good quality rest. Buckets of disinfective are being carried in and out, plus left near our stateroom door as well as the next door cabin. :rolleyes:

I am not complaining, but just stating how it is here onboard. I do hope that the next cruise will be free from illness and enjoyable for all. Good luck!

Don't count on any more back. We got nothing on our cruise Nov 18-Dec.2nd.

Frankly, O could have easily done this for our cruise since we were forbidden to dock in Bernuda for our two day stay. It's a shame they didn't as it could have helped those boarding on the next cruise.

I hear you on the poor/ inconsistent service, etc. We experienced the same. I know there were a number on our cruise that would have been happy to get off two days early. And you can count DH and I in that group. This was the first cruise where we were glad to get off and it was over.

I do not recall hearing any reports of Noro on the Dec & Jan cruises so the ship was clean

The people coming aboard were probably not... this may include crew

With Noro you do not know you have it until you are sick ...you can carry the virus with you until the symptoms hit

You do not feel sick until you are :eek:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/norovirus/basics/symptoms/CON-20029968

Signs and symptoms usually begin 24 to 48 hours after first exposure to the virus, and last one to three days. You may continue to shed virus in your feces for up to three days after recovery.

Some people with norovirus infection may show no signs or symptoms. However, they are still contagious and can spread the virus to others.

I was paying close attention and the Noro persisted for the Dec. 2nd sailing (the one after ours) and, I believe there were cases on the following cruise as well.

We also feel badly for the people currently onboard the Riviera! I have seen how much cleaning goes on when there is an outbreak of any illness on board a ship. I suspect that the ship is returning to port in order to have the time to disinfect the passenger cabins which may include drapes, carpeting, and other surfaces that may not be taken down and cleaned during normal turn-over days. IMO, it is a huge task to clean every surface of a cabin that may have been touched by an infected passenger.

I still go believe that most of the problems have been from passengers rather than the crew or general ship cleanliness. Reports indicate that very few crew members got sick -- the majority are passengers. To me, this speaks to the issue of passengers arriving on the ship with a virus (whether symptomatic or not) and it spreads from there. Many viruses live for a long time on surfaces so you can wash your hands 1,000 times and it may not help if you touch a surface with the virus and touch your eyes, nose or mouth. This can be a light switch, telephone, remote control, drawers, etc.

While I am not a germaphobe (misspelled), we always carry a small can of Lysol with us when we board a ship and use it on several surfaces - particularly the ones mentioned above. On an airplane where the trays, seat arms, controls, etc. are rarely cleaned, I have a small contained of Clorox wipes. It takes only a minute to wipe down the area around your seat. While this does not prevent airborne transmission, it definitely helps.

After posting the above I did more research and learned that our using Lyson and Clorox wipes is not as effective as Peroxide. Check out this article: http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

Edited by Travelcat2

If I were in your shoes I'd be miserable. I was posting only from standing in my own shoes and I'm sure you'd be equally relieved to hear the ship was going to get doused with disinfectant if you were boarding on Monday. It doesn't take away from being unable to imagine what it's like to have a cruise ruined by something like this. It reminds me when I was relieved when a hurricane missed us, but knew that by missing us it hit the other coast. I was still relieved. So I completely understand where you're coming from and please believe me I sympathize with everyone on this cruise. It's just not fair.

I consider 25% "huge" and it was my reaction to someone posting that $100 would be nice. So that's a matter of perspective. I don't think money can fix what all of you are going through. I just told a friend no amount of money could make me want to have been on your cruise ... they could give me a full refund and I would still wish I'd been anywhere but there. Personally I believe Oceania stepped up to the plate, but maybe in your shoes I'd feel differently.

I hope you arrive safely home healthy:)