Noro on Riviera again

RJB

We were also on this cruise and feel a need to comment based on some of the threads relating to this ship.

Firstly passengers were kept well informed and the relentless cleaning efforts of the hardworking staff was required to keep the passengers healthy.

Of 1000 passengers 20 had gastroenteritis not novo virus. We were reliablely informed no staff had fallen ill.

I witnessed passengers point blank refusing to sanitise before returning on board from ports where frankly the first thing I wanted to do was scrub my hands.

What can a cruise line do if passengers do not practise basic hygiene for their own health by using the more than adequate sanitisation throughout the ship.

This is a very good cruise line who work hard to provide a good experience and that is my reason for responding to scaremongering.

For us the only impacts were unexpected weather and disappointing ports.

I do not lay blame with the cruise line. The ship is beautiful and very very clean!

Nancy

There are not many areas on the ships where self serve is available & when something like this strikes there is even less

I wish they knew the cause of these outbreaks but as many posts suggest it is people & their poor hygiene that help spread whatever is going around

The best we can do is look out for ourselves & wash our hands often

almost makes you want to give up travelling with noro, Zika dengue etc... :eek:

Nancy

There are not many areas on the ships where self serve is available & when something like this strikes there is even less

I wish they knew the cause of these outbreaks but as many posts suggest it is people & their poor hygiene that help spread whatever is going around

The best we can do is look out for ourselves & wash our hands often

almost makes you want to give up travelling with noro, Zika dengue etc... :eek:

Fully agree!!!!

Not giving up my wonderful cruising travels!!! I just found out one of the ports I will going to in Hawaii in a few months has and issue with dengue!!!

BTW, while I have never sailed on Oceania, I have many friends that have and I hear great things about the line, particularly the cuisine.

Happy sails,

Nancy

We were also on this cruise and feel a need to comment based on some of the threads relating to this ship.

Firstly passengers were kept well informed and the relentless cleaning efforts of the hardworking staff was required to keep the passengers healthy.

Of 1000 passengers 20 had gastroenteritis not novo virus. We were reliablely informed no staff had fallen ill.

I witnessed passengers point blank refusing to sanitise before returning on board from ports where frankly the first thing I wanted to do was scrub my hands.

What can a cruise line do if passengers do not practise basic hygiene for their own health by using the more than adequate sanitisation throughout the ship.

This is a very good cruise line who work hard to provide a good experience and that is my reason for responding to scaremongering.

I do not lay blame with the cruise line. The ship is beautiful and very very clean!

Ditto to your post. We were on the cruise as well.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2016/february12_oceania_riviera.htm

Summary of CDC Feb 16 report from Cruise Junkie

CDC reports 79 of 1225 passengers (6.45%) and 3 of 773 crew (0.39%) have reported ill with gastrointestinal illness. A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist are currently making plans to board the ship upon arrival in Miami, FL to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.The cruise began February 12th and ends the 22nd

Edited by floatplan
Added date

As I have heard pro's and con's as far as O's notifying on upcoming passengers for the 22nd sailing. As we are one of those and my husband has mobility problems won't be good if they don't keep us updated and keep us comfortable. Anyone suggest the best way to get info on what is going on since O isn't willing to share. I will try calling O on Monday but don't hold out a lot of hope that they will tell us much other than everything is fine.

As I have heard pro's and con's as far as O's notifying on upcoming passengers for the 22nd sailing. As we are one of those and my husband has mobility problems won't be good if they don't keep us updated and keep us comfortable. Anyone suggest the best way to get info on what is going on since O isn't willing to share. I will try calling O on Monday but don't hold out a lot of hope that they will tell us much other than everything is fine.

I would recommend that you read the post directly above yours (from "floatplan") which quotes the CDC regarding "what is going on." It is factual and objective as opposed to any anecdotal reports and potential hysteria you might encounter on these boards. Please, read the posts.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise. I am not sure what it means, exactly, when you say "won't be good if they don't keep us updated and keep us comfortable." You might want to explain this ultimatum.

Donna

I would recommend that you read the post directly above yours (from "floatplan") which quotes the CDC regarding "what is going on." It is factual and objective as opposed to any anecdotal reports and potential hysteria you might encounter on these boards. Please, read the posts.

I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise. I am not sure what it means, exactly, when you say "won't be good if they don't keep us updated and keep us comfortable." You might want to explain this ultimatum.

Donna

I posted that as a general reference. No one likes to sit around for hours with no answers and not knowing what is going on. I had read a post where someone who was on one of the previous sailings waited for 3 hours till boarding. I had read the CDC report and was somewhat worried but than I have to keep thinking that this is a small percentage and they are doing what they are told. After reading the comment from a past Crystal passenger that they handle things a lot different. Starting with fee medical and checking on the patient several times. I only hope that is what Oceania would think is good PR also.

I posted that as a general reference. No one likes to sit around for hours with no answers and not knowing what is going on. I had read a post where someone who was on one of the previous sailings waited for 3 hours till boarding.

Since they are planning an inspection/cleaning on disembarkation/ embarkation day I would stay at the hotel until later in the day

You will be more comfortable there than sitting at the port

You can eat lunch & have restrooms close at hand

Then unless Oceania says otherwise head to the port about 2 -3 pm

Since they are planning an inspection/cleaning on disembarkation/ embarkation day I would stay at the hotel until later in the day

You will be more comfortable there than sitting at the port

You can eat lunch & have restrooms close at hand

Then unless Oceania says otherwise head to the port about 2 -3 pm

Exactly. Thank you. My husband and I are also on the 2/22 cruise and obviously we're not thrilled that Noro is onboard now, but on the other hand we are completely confident that Oceania is going to do a thorough cleaning and health officials will be onboard that day to make sure of that. Getting onboard a little bit late isn't going to be the end of the world for any of us and I just thank God I am fortunate to be boarding the Riviera at all ... whatever time.

Since we know for sure it will take longer to clean the ship, it would be silly to get to the pier for our original boarding times. Getting there a bit later will make it more comfortable for everyone.

If anything, we have a better chance of a Noro free ship than many others heading to all the piers in all the world over the next few days to board their ships. Unfortunately Noro is a common occurrence. No one is happy about it, but we'll end up having a fabulous time with amazing service and delicious food with, hopefully, yummy weather the whole time.

Exactly. Thank you. My husband and I are also on the 2/22 cruise and obviously we're not thrilled that Noro is onboard now, but on the other hand we are completely confident that Oceania is going to do a thorough cleaning and health officials will be onboard that day to make sure of that. Getting onboard a little bit late isn't going to be the end of the world for any of us and I just thank God I am fortunate to be boarding the Riviera at all ... whatever time.

Since we know for sure it will take longer to clean the ship, it would be silly to get to the pier for our original boarding times. Getting there a bit later will make it more comfortable for everyone.

If anything, we have a better chance of a Noro free ship than many others heading to all the piers in all the world over the next few days to board their

ships. Unfortunately Noro is a common occurrence. No one is happy about it, but we'll end up having a fabulous time with amazing service and delicious food with, hopefully, yummy weather the whole time.

Just want to say how much I enjoy your comments always a cup 1/2 full instead of a cup 1/2 empty. We will be at the InterContinental Miami Club floor waiting out this till we can get to board.

Good luck to all, hope the management on Riviera learned a lesson or two in the past few months.

Enjoy your cruise, I plan on enjoying mine.

Posting from Sydney, where we board Marina next week.

We are onboard now. The virus has certainly put a damper on this - our first - Oceania cruise. So far, we have not been infected with Noro, but the cleaning procedures have affected our enjoyment of the cruise. We are thankful for the cleaning process, but tired of the smell, the dripping walls, elevators, chairs, tables, door handles, and even cleaning disinfectant seeping into our stateroom drawers and getting on our clothes. I took photos, but it would take too much time to download them. I will do so when we return.

Our original room attendant was sick and never returned. We asked and were told she was not on the ship anymore. There were a few back to backers that were on our cruise, so this could be a good way for the virus to spread from cruise to cruise.

This may have been mentioned ( I have not been able to read the entire thread) but a few passengers were so I'll, that they were sent off the ship to the hospital. I also heard that a few others were kicked off because they left there rooms before quarantine was over. That's the reason cards have been taken from ill passengers and each passenger is required to show theirs when eating. Saw a woman yesterday who looked ill, and did not have a card, sent back to her room. Not saying she was ill, but looked like it.

Service is not at all good. Very slow. The crew is exhausted, and it shows in the attitude of many. :(. We have talked with several first timers and Oceania repeaters who have complained about this.

PS - Not only do we have the Noro to contend with, but there are also many walking around with bad colds. A lady in the balcony one over has been coughing since day one and she always seems to be on her balcony. We have enjoyed ours in between coughs. Lol

For those coming onboard that have compromised immune systems, you may think twice and contact your insurance agent to see if you could be compensated should you cancel. I wish that we had been given notice of this virus before checking in. It would have been nice if Oceania had given passengers a choice to sail.

Edited by Iamthesea

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2016/february12_oceania_riviera.htm

Summary of CDC Feb 16 report from Cruise Junkie

CDC reports 79 of 1225 passengers (6.45%) and 3 of 773 crew (0.39%) have reported ill with gastrointestinal illness. A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer and an epidemiologist are currently making plans to board the ship upon arrival in Miami, FL to conduct an environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities.The cruise began February 12th and ends the 22nd

What part of "causative agent norovirus" on the CDC site did you guys miss? Over 6% is not good.

We are onboard now. The virus has certainly put a damper on this - our first - Oceania cruise. So far, we have not been infected with Noro, but the cleaning procedures have affected our enjoyment of the cruise. We are thankful for the cleaning process, but tired of the smell, the dripping walls, elevators, chairs, tables, door handles, and even cleaning disinfectant seeping into our stateroom drawers and getting on our clothes. I took photos, but it would take too much time to download them. I will do so when we return.

Our original room attendant was sick and never returned. We asked and were told she was not on the ship anymore. There were a few back to backers that were on our cruise, so this could be a good way for the virus to spread from cruise to cruise.

This may have been mentioned ( I have not been able to read the entire thread) but a few passengers were so I'll, that they were sent off the ship to the hospital. I also heard that a few others were kicked off because they left there rooms before quarantine was over. That's the reason cards have been taken from ill passengers and each passenger is required to show theirs when eating. Saw a woman yesterday who looked ill, and did not have a card, sent back to her room. Not saying she was ill, but looked like it.

Service is not at all good. Very slow. The crew is exhausted, and it shows in the attitude of many. :(. We have talked with several first timers and Oceania repeaters who have complained about this.

PS - Not only do we have the Noro to contend with, but there are also many walking around with bad colds. A lady in the balcony one over has been coughing since day one and she always seems to be on her balcony. We have enjoyed ours in between coughs. Lol

For those coming onboard that have compromised immune systems, you may think twice and contact your insurance agent to see if you could be compensated should you cancel. I wish that we had been given notice of this virus before checking in. It would have been nice if Oceania had given passengers a choice to sail.

Very sorry to hear this for you. It sounds like deja vu all over again for some of us. Hope you don't get labeled a complainer simply for reporting things as they are.

Sorry to hear so many are ill

but good to know at least they are trying to keep people in their cabins that are sick if only the sick people or their cabin mates would comply:eek:

Too bad they do not have a cleaning product that is not so sticky & gooey ...that must make it so much worse to enjoy the ship

Wash your hands

Muchty's post regarding his/her experience was referring to the previous cruise before the 2/12 cruise ... not the one the CDC report refers to which is the current one.

Not fun to read this cruiser's experience knowing we'll be hopping onboard on Monday after the ship (I assume) is deep cleaned. My hope is that it will be inspected so metisculously that even the tiniest germ would dare make its way onto the next voyage:):):).

But I feel so badly for all the people experiencing this. We all look forward to our cruises and to say this "puts a damper" on the cruise is an understatement I think. What a shame.

I'm so sorry your cruise is not what you had hoped... I would be disappointed, too. I've yet to sail on Oceania so I don't know what their policy is, but it would be wonderful if they made some small amends financially like a cruise credit. Provided, of course, you'd want to sail with them again!

Good luck to all, hope the management on Riviera learned a lesson or two in the past few months.

Enjoy your cruise, I plan on enjoying mine.

Posting from Sydney, where we board Marina next week.

I wish we were on your cruise. Have a great time Orv. We just loved NZ and Aus.

I think they do but I do not eat them nor the sushi :D

I ate them both (oysters and sushi) on our cruise in Dec. and had no ill effects. This on a cruise that was on code red for 9 of the 10 day cruise (Mayan Mystique)

The ship is sick. They need to take it out of service and cure it. They cannot do it with 1500 passengers and thousand of crew on board. It is obvious that what they are doing is not enough. Not saying they are not doing their best, but apparently more drastic measures are required. I feel sorry for anyone on the cruise. It just can't be pleasant. How many Noro infected cruises will be enough?

Edited by bitob

Bitob, I feel that the Riveria needs top side attention.

In the marketing world you can't have a product that not only doesn't perform as advertised but presents a threat to one's health.

We are due to sale on it in a few weeks and are greatly concerned.