Noro on Riviera again

RJB

Is this a serious question or are you being facetious ?? :eek:

Not being facetious at all! After reading about how passengers were being treated, how upper management was not in evidence, how Internet was denied to someone, and how the medical center was changing for basically an illness that needs to run its course, I was asking real questions and concerning questions. Being quarantined with a sick spouse is not a concern. Making sure he is getting fed and how he is getting fed IS a concern. And knowing a light diet and hydration is important to the sick person, well, that is a concern too. Additionally, getting room service and having the room refreshed, would also require exposure to illness. Facetious? Not at all!

The sense I got was that this was due to the person breaking quarantine. Perhaps the person in question was sneaking down to use the computer room and denying the access was the only way to force compliance. From what I am reading, there are always some people who think the rules do not apply to them and try to break the quarantine. But I am guessing.

Donna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very selfish. Putting all the other passengers at risk also. Not right.

Heather, I hope that you will enjoy smooth sailing and an uneventful vacation...but, since you're driving down to the port, here's an extra precaution you might want to take:

In addition to Clorox wipes and OTC Immodium, carry on some Gatorade, Pedialyte or other electrolyte-enriched drinks. Should you be unfortunate enough to pick up the bug, the most important self-treatment is to stay hydrated even when you don't feel like drinking. (Can't hurt to drink these beverages in warm weather anyway.)

We survived a "sick-ship" cruise by self-quarantining for 24 hours, ordering tea, toast and broiled chicken for a day and drinking copious amounts of such fluids, washing our hands constantly and wiping down everything in our cabin daily.

I am sure O and crew are doing everything possible to deep-clean the ship but all it takes is an already-infected passenger boarding! You're ahead already by not having to fly in!

I don't. I think they're the lucky ones. I wish I hadn't. At this point there's nothing you can do but cancel. And I'm betting practically no one would do that. Way TMI for me and I'd give good money to drive to the port tomorrow with no info other than what Oceania has told us.

It was lousy. No one denies that, but now it's "I heard this" or "I heard that" and I'm sure more horror stories will follow. Other than having been affected on this cruise, it can't get more depressing than reading this thread.

Oceania is doing a major cleaning of the ship and it will be thoroughly inspected before we board tomorrow. If it doesn't get a full green light by health officials, I suspect we will not be allowed to board. Otherwise I'm confident that at least for now all will be well.

We were on this cruise and have NO horror stories to tell. A lot of cleaning going on that was not very pleasant but not that depressing either. All the dining venues were open with special handling of the food. Not a problem. We were not sick at all, so can not talk for the people that did. We will go on Oceania again. Now to make it clear we expected a home run on this cruise as in all our past Oceania cruises but we just got a double. Sure was not a strike out for us. Most of the people we spoke to on the ship thought about the same. If not a double that a single. Hope the 2 days of cleaning works and you go and have a great time.

We were on this cruise and have NO horror stories to tell. A lot of cleaning going on that was not very pleasant but not that depressing either. All the dining venues were open with special handling of the food. Not a problem. We were not sick at all, so can not talk for the people that did. We will go on Oceania again. Now to make it clear we expected a home run on this cruise as in all our past Oceania cruises but we just got a double. Sure was not a strike out for us. Most of the people we spoke to on the ship thought about the same. If not a double that a single. Hope the 2 days of cleaning works and you go and have a great time.

This is good to read and I would hope the case with the majority onboard. Only a small percentage of passengers and crew were infected and only a small percent post on CC (usually the most vocal). I'm not diminishing their experience as I've been there, but just saying many might have had a decent experience. Perhaps not quite to normal Oceania standards but decent none the less.

. Being quarantined with a sick spouse is not a concern. Making sure he is getting fed and how he is getting fed IS a concern. And knowing a light diet and hydration is important to the sick person, well, that is a concern too. Additionally, getting room service and having the room refreshed, would also require exposure to illness. Facetious? Not at all!

do you really think the cruise line would deny nourishment to people quarantined ??

:eek:

Heather, I hope that you will enjoy smooth sailing and an uneventful vacation...but, since you're driving down to the port, here's an extra precaution you might want to take:

In addition to Clorox wipes and OTC Immodium, carry on some Gatorade, Pedialyte or other electrolyte-enriched drinks. Should you be unfortunate enough to pick up the bug, the most important self-treatment is to stay hydrated even when you don't feel like drinking. (Can't hurt to drink these beverages in warm weather anyway.)

They do provide gatorade free of charge

If you do self quarantine be sure to let the cabin steward know you are ill so PROPER cleaning protocol can be taken ...special cleaners & bio hazard bags for linens etc...

This thread teaches that maybe it is a good idea to buy insurance that includes "cancel for any reason." If I had such insurance coverage I would not board the ship.

Even with CFAR you do not get a full refund

most policies only cover 75-80% of the costs

You of all people should know to read the fine print

do you really think the cruise line would deny nourishment to people quarantined ??

They were providing a full room service menu with the exception of hard drinks and wine which I heard the doctor said no to. Only problem is they only had plastic knives and forks which made it a little harder to cut things. They did not starve.

I wonder if they allow the lower cabins a hot breakfast in this case? Also if they can order from the speciality restaurant menue as only one person in the room is sick. Seems fair as you paid for it and now can not use it.

I wonder if they allow the lower cabins a hot breakfast in this case? Also if they can order from the speciality restaurant menue as only one person in the room is sick. Seems fair as you paid for it and now can not use it.

Good question. Did not hear what they were offered other than room service menu.

I thought that Lysol wipes helped but, as posted a few pages back, I learned from the Center for Disease Control literature that Lysol wipes do not work but this wipe http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFFGJ6S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00 does work. While I could not find it in a travel size, I just ordered them and will keep some in a baggie on our next plane flight and/cruise.

P.S. Bleach also works (Clorox makes bleach wipes) but I prefer the peroxide based product - as long as they work the same.

There is another brand (bleach based) that is also listed by the CDC as effective for noro.

We got those in a "tub", but also in a box of individually wrapped wipes (which are larger than those shown in your linked product).

We now [almost] "won't leave home without them".

I keep a couple in my purse at all times now.

We were exceedingly fortunate that the holiday cruise was (apparently) clean.

At least we didn't get sick.

However, I did get noro (or similar; I don't think the hospital tested) during a land-based trip to Italy last year.

And it was not pleasant, given that I was so sick, I had to be carted off by ambulance to a local hospital.

Something is clearly wrong on the Riviera, given that other ships have episodes of noro, but nothing that *keeps* coming back.

[Or does it, and we just don't know...?]

There is another brand (bleach based) that is also listed by the CDC as effective for noro.

We got those in a "tub", but also in a box of individually wrapped wipes (which are larger than those shown in your linked product).

We now [almost] "won't leave home without them".

I keep a couple in my purse at all times now.

We were exceedingly fortunate that the holiday cruise was (apparently) clean.

At least we didn't get sick.

However, I did get noro (or similar; I don't think the hospital tested) during a land-based trip to Italy last year.

And it was not pleasant, given that I was so sick, I had to be carted off by ambulance to a local hospital.

Something is clearly wrong on the Riviera, given that other ships have episodes of noro, but nothing that *keeps* coming back.

[Or does it, and we just don't know...?]

Which is why the cut this trip short and headed back to Miami 2 days early. Hope this will give them time to clear this up. If not ??????

Thanks to those with suggestions for carry-ons; I have my Pepto packed, but we don't have Immodium on hand. I may try a quick run to the drugstore, but I really am feeling positive and though some will debate this, I've often found that if you expect something will happen it probably will. So I'm not expecting.

I hope it does, too :). Thanks so much for this post. Between this and another private note through Tapatalk, I feel a bit less apprehensive.

Which is why the cut this trip short and headed back to Miami 2 days early. Hope this will give them time to clear this up. If not ??????

I believe it will clear it up what was. It can do nothing if sick people board the ship. I know that there were clean cruises between November and now ... quite a few in fact. So the notion that the ship is terminally ill just doesn't wash with me. But as far as new people coming on sick, we run that risk every single time we board a ship.

I'm not quite ready to lock myself in my house. I have a t-shirt that reads "I could stop cruising, but I'm not a quitter". Still ... if I get sick all bets are off, but I still wouldn't be blaming Oceania. Stuff happens and things don't always go the way we want. Fingers crossed plus I have a couple of really super angels looking down and watching out for me :).

Edited by HeatherInFlorida

I know that no one would starve. I do know that room service is not as extensive as the wonderful choices available in the dining venues. My concern was more about how room service would avoid getting ill themselves (masks?) and what options would be available for the sick occupant. We are really on the same page. We both want containment through isolation. I wouldn't want a room service person who had just delivered to a quarantined cabin, bring me my order. I guess procedures are in place. My hope is that just as passengers are quarantined while sick, that staff would also put themselves in isolation if infected. And would their cabin mates too? Somehow I can't see that happening!

I know that no one would starve. I do know that room service is not as extensive as the wonderful choices available in the dining venues. My concern was more about how room service would avoid getting ill themselves (masks?) and what options would be available for the sick occupant. We are really on the same page. We both want containment through isolation. I wouldn't want a room service person who had just delivered to a quarantined cabin, bring me my order. I guess procedures are in place. My hope is that just as passengers are quarantined while sick, that staff would also put themselves in isolation if infected. And would their cabin mates too? Somehow I can't see that happening!

Crew does not seam to be reporting their sickness. As of 2/19 almost 10% of passengers (919) were reported sick to the CDC and only 3 crew members reported. Not possible. Could be they are the cause of all this. If they keep working when they are sick if affects everyone else. The CDC should really check this out.

For those in Canada looking for the disinfecting wipes to bring on board the ship, I located a brand through Costco.ca named Fitwipes Disinfectant Wipes and I ordered them on line. These wipes kill bacteria and viruses (won't name them all) so I think it would be wise if we brought the wipes on board March 13th and wiped down the cabin surfaces and on the airplane. Not being paranoid just proactive.:)

Edited by Wren3

For those in Canada looking for the disinfecting wipes to bring on board the ship, I located a brand through Costco.ca named Fitwipes Disinfectant Wipes and I ordered them on line. These wipes kill bacteria and viruses (won't name them all) so I think it would be wise if we brought the wipes on board March 13th and wiped down the cabin surfaces and on the airplane. Not being paranoid just proactive.:)

Do make sure it specifically states that it is effective for *norovirus*.

Not all viruses are killed by the same cleaning/disinfecting agents.

I'd suggest making sure you have something that was listed by the USA CDC as effective for noro specifically.

(Many of the products listed aren't available in a form that would be convenient for travelers, but there are definitely some that are.)

Good luck!

Do make sure it specifically states that it is effective for *norovirus*.

Not all viruses are killed by the same cleaning/disinfecting agents.

I'd suggest making sure you have something that was listed by the USA CDC as effective for noro specifically.

(Many of the products listed aren't available in a form that would be convenient for travelers, but there are definitely some that are.)

Good luck!

Thank you so much for posting about the wipes in small travel quantities. I found these at Amazon.com http://smile.amazon.com/PDI-SANI-CLOTH-SUPER-DISINFECTANT-WIPES/dp/B001GEY0P0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456085737&sr=1-2&keywords=PDI+Sani-Cloth+Bleach+Wipe This product is on the CDC list.

Also, hope this link works to the CDC list of all products that work against norovirus: http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-10/documents/list_g_norovirus.pdf Note: You have to scroll down to the second page to see the list.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you so much for posting about the wipes in small travel quantities. I found these at Amazon.com http://smile.amazon.com/PDI-SANI-CLOTH-SUPER-DISINFECTANT-WIPES/dp/B001GEY0P0/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456085737&sr=1-2&keywords=PDI+Sani-Cloth+Bleach+Wipe This product is on the CDC list.

Also, hope this link works to the CDC list of all products that work against norovirus: http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-10/documents/list_g_norovirus.pdf Note: You have to scroll down to the second page to see the list.

Did you get the bleach version?

http://www.amazon.com/SANI-CLOTH-BLEACH-Germicidal-Disposable-Wipe/dp/B00DJGRTKG/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CHD8E6KGWA5Q8TPNJ1H

There are quite a few different types, each effective for different specific pathogens.

The color is different from what we have.

Edited by GeezerCouple

Crew does not seam to be reporting their sickness. As of 2/19 almost 10% of passengers (919) were reported sick to the CDC and only 3 crew members reported. Not possible. Could be they are the cause of all this. If they keep working when they are sick if affects everyone else. The CDC should really check this out.

You are probably correct about the lack of crew illness reported. I too hope the CDC does look into it. Just to lighten the mood a little:

To: upper management

Re: noro containment

We passengers sign papers

Agreeing we're not sick.

And if perchance we do fall ill

They isolate us quick.

Our cabin mates are quarantined

So noro will not spread,

No GDR or Waves for us

But room service instead.

So let's be fair to all who cruise

And follow protocol,

Use the same rules for staff and crew

And thus protect us all!

You are probably correct about the lack of crew illness reported. I too hope the CDC does look into it. Just to lighten the mood a little:

To: upper management

Re: noro containment

We passengers sign papers

Agreeing we're not sick.

And if perchance we do fall ill

They isolate us quick.

Our cabin mates are quarantined

So noro will not spread,

No GDR or Waves for us

But room service instead.

So let's be fair to all who cruise

And follow protocol,

Use the same rules for staff and crew

And thus protect us all!

You could not have said it better.

No I don't think it's the crew and I believe their numbers are low ... that is usually the case in these instances. It's almost always the passengers. Believe me the crew could not report to work if they had noro. You are pretty much stuck near a bathroom. It's not like they can just hide out and not be noticed. Also the crew is much more aware of Noro (unlike passengers) and take the proper precautions 24/7. If only passengers would do the same.

Also I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. The ship only holds 1250 pax double occupancy. 10% would be 125 pax if the ship was full and not 919.

One hint to prevent spreading Noro is no shaking hands. That is one of the easiest ways to spread the virus. On Azamara for instance, officers and crew only "fist bump" and don't shake hands. I for one appreciate that.

Edited by eroller

No I don't think it's the crew and I believe their numbers are low ... that is usually the case in these instances. It's almost always the passengers. Believe me the crew could not report to work if they had noro. You are pretty much stuck near a bathroom. It's not like they can just hide out and not be noticed. Also the crew is much more aware of Noro (unlike passengers) and take the proper precautions 24/7. If only passengers would do the same.

Also I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. The ship only holds 1250 pax double occupancy. 10% would be 125 pax if the ship was full and not 919.

Sorry, that was a typo. The number is 119. Just a touch under 10%. Did not proof read before posting. Still seems very strange that only 3 of the crew were sick.

Sorry, that was a typo. The number is 119. Just a touch under 10%. Did not proof read before posting. Still seems very strange that only 3 of the crew were sick.

Ok thanks.

Crew numbers are always much lower. Like I mentioned they are ALWAYS taking the proper precautions. Passengers aren't.

Two other things to watch out for are cell phones and TV remote controls. Two other great carriers of the virus.