Noro on Riviera again

RJB

Are you talking about the jungles of Brazil? Or some places in Asia? No way a doctor can make a living treating the few who go there. Lets be real, there in no doctor who only does that. Is there a board who certifies them. Would think not. So it is a made up speciality. Let me know where i can find the board.

I've heard them called "travel physicians" but they are really fairly local offices that carry vaccinations for travelers since most primary care physicians do not carry it. In the city where we live, it is at the Health Department. As there is no vaccination to prevent norovirus (yet), it really isn't pertinent to this discussion.

Are you talking about the jungles of Brazil? Or some places in Asia? No way a doctor can make a living treating the few who go there. Lets be real, there in no doctor who only does that. Is there a board who certifies them. Would think not. So it is a made up speciality. Let me know where i can find the board.

Lol...if you have a good hospital(assuming you do) search their website for the travel clinic...they are also the best group to ask about mummy's tummy and Montezuemas revenge.

I've heard them called "travel physicians" but they are really fairly local offices that carry vaccinations for travelers since most primary care physicians do not carry it. In the city where we live, it is at the Health Department. As there is no vaccination to prevent norovirus (yet), it really isn't pertinent to this discussion.

This makes a lot more sense. Thanks

What the heck is a Travel Clinic Physician. Is that a new type of doctor are something made up? Never heard of that. Do I need another doctor or just another quack?

To quote Darth Vader, I find your lack of faith disturbing.. Lol

Even living in a smaller sized urban area, because of the major university here we do have a fine travel clinic. I will include a link so you can check out the description as well as the credentials of the staff if you wish.

https://carle.org/services/TravelClinic

Since DH has ailments that compromise his immune system, we always visit the travel clinic before major travel. We receive any recommended inoculations and usually are given a "just in case" dosage of Cipro, useful in cases of travelers diarrhea etc.

Not quackery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo this guy is a hack -- the equivalent of an ambulance chaser for cruise ships. Others have referred to his website before. Not worth reading

Plus I want to sue him for putting that entire article on a black background. I swear I am seeing spots right now. it's criminal, I tell you! :mad:

I read in another CC thread that as we know the Riviera can be viewed currently in dock however that person noted that they have not seen any staff or activity on board whatsoever. This is very odd since a thorough cleaning is underway that you would see some activity on board whether it being cleaning staterooms and/or staff but no activity or staff have been seen.

Edited by Wren3

Could it simply be that all surfaces of the Riviera are coated in disinfectant and needs time to dry and set?

Could be Travelcat2, still unusual to not see any activity on board coming and/or going according to the OP. The OP says that they board tomorrow.

Could be Travelcat2, still unusual to not see any activity on board coming and/or going according to the OP. The OP says that they board tomorrow.

Completely agree with you. The fact that there is not "normal" activity leads me to believe that whatever the ship was cleaned with needs to be left alone (perhaps it is like when houses are tented and you need to stay away for a certain length of time).

Hope that your cruise is great (I suspect that it will be)!

We have a lot of them here in Canada. Our GP will recommend we visit one if we are visiting areas which may need specific shots or vaccines, you can get preventative meds, etc. These DR's are really good for all info re traveling to foreign places as they keep right up to date on outbreaks etc. http://www.tmvc.com/

Edited by Christine Frances

Thank you Travelcat2. I will be watching CC for upcoming reports on this cruise itinerary from Riviera and I am sincerely hoping that O has got the Noro issues under control for the guests embarking tomorrow.

I was curious since medicine was peripherally our business. To my knowledge there is no medicine that will TREAT Noro. Whomever develops a shot or medicine will be very rich! LOL. It is, to my knowledge, a fact that you are contagious BEFORE you experience symptoms. Once you have the symptoms you are no longer contagious. It is my opinion that it is best for you to let all of the "bug" get out of your system which is about 3 days. Like my regular doc says, whomever develops something for this will be mighty wealthy. And yes, if you feel that you are losing a lot of fluids, it is best to have something for that. I personally always ask for Gatorade or the equivalent to be in my cabin before I cruise. I caught Noro on Crystal one Christmas and then my DH got it right after I was well. So...six days sick. I was so grateful that we were not both sick at once as we only had one bathroom! LOL. Please, everyone, take care.

I have decided to wait a couple of days before I post my thoughts regarding my experience on this notorious Riviera cruise.

However, I really enjoyed seeing three Oceania employees sitting outside the door of the private breakfast buffet room of our Miami hotel set up for the 80 or so passengers bussed here last night from Riviera while we all served ourselves breakfast this morning with shared utensils, etc.

However, I really enjoyed seeing three Oceania employees sitting outside the door of the private breakfast buffet room of our Miami hotel set up for the 80 or so passengers bussed here last night from Riviera while we all served ourselves breakfast this morning with shared utensils, etc.

Seriously :eek:

I have decided to wait a couple of days before I post my thoughts regarding my experience on this notorious Riviera cruise.

CintiPam, I am sincerely confused, what were the Oceania staff doing ~ keeping watch?

Edited by Wren3

We are also in the same hotel. The Oceania staff are answering questions from passengers needing travel advice, what to do in Miami today, etc..

There are future Riviera cruisers staying at this hotel, as well as people taking other cruises out today and tomorrow. We talked to one lady who had not heard of the problem onboard. I later saw she and her husband eating from our buffet! :eek:

Pam, We also thought it ironic that we served ourselves breakfast. We used our non predominate hand and are continuing with the sanitizing. The staff at Pullman have little knowledge about why we are here. Good night!

Edited by Iamthesea

RJB - I am confused about your two different post here describing your cruise. Am I missing something?

We were on this cruise and have NO horror stories to tell. A lot of cleaning going on that was not very pleasant but not that depressing either. All the dining venues were open with special handling of the food. Not a problem. We were not sick at all, so can not talk for the people that did. We will go on Oceania again. Now to make it clear we expected a home run on this cruise as in all our past Oceania cruises but we just got a double. Sure was not a strike out for us. Most of the people we spoke to on the ship thought about the same. If not a double that a single. Hope the 2 days of cleaning works and you go and have a great time.

Default Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

With all that we went thru since almost from the beginning of the cruise and coming back 2 days early it is not nearly enough. After Tortola we made a speed run to Miami with chemicals all over everything on the ship, even the floors and as a few people said we were outrunning the TV signal. The last 2 days on Riviera were no fun and not close to what we paid for. Even in St.Maarteen they cleared the ship for most of us 2 hours late and did not get off until 11:30. To sum it up we lost 2 days on the way back to Miami and the cruise was cut 2 days short. In my book that adds up to 40%. At the least. Oceania has to step up and take care of us as they should. It is not the time to be cheap about it.

HI. we were on the Riviera in late December of 15. they cleaned the ship the whole time we were on and no of no one that caught anything. we were always washing and using sanitizer every time we passed a sanitizer. we used them religiously and both my wife and I were fine. yes constant washing and using sanitizer. I had the liquor package so I made sure that I drank enough to kill off anything that the sanitizer missed and it must have worked because I did not catch anything. I suggest everyone else do the same thing. drink as much as you can. start early and ofton.

This is exactly why we left the ship by taxi to the Grand Hyatt and left the hotel at 6am the following morning. I knew the breakfast buffet was cause for concern. There was also a buffet of light snacks available when we arrived on Saturday night. It included platters of sandwiches and sweets that were self serve only.

Edited by CruiserPK

RJB - I am confused about your two different post here describing your cruise. Am I missing something?

Default Riveria Noro, Is 25% enough?

With all that we went thru since almost from the beginning of the cruise and coming back 2 days early it is not nearly enough. After Tortola we made a speed run to Miami with chemicals all over everything on the ship, even the floors and as a few people said we were outrunning the TV signal. The last 2 days on Riviera were no fun and not close to what we paid for. Even in St.Maarteen they cleared the ship for most of us 2 hours late and did not get off until 11:30. To sum it up we lost 2 days on the way back to Miami and the cruise was cut 2 days short. In my book that adds up to 40%. At the least. Oceania has to step up and take care of us as they should. It is not the time to be cheap about it.

This is why we are calling this a double instead of the usual home run. Did not say everything was perfect but not a horror either. The ports were what we expected, but the on board was not. Food good in all the resturants except the terrace. To sum it up both good and bad which is why Oceania has to step up and increase what they want to give us. Not asking for 100% but 50% would be about right.

I totally agree. We were on same terrible cruise. Crew quite overwhelmed and over worked and down right nasty and abrupt with us. I got the feeling that it was the passengers to blame rather than the cruise lines and crew.

I have been on other Iceania cruises several years ago. Delightful, great food and different in all specially restaurants. This time WITH NEW NORWEIGIAN Cruise Line ownership, food in 1 restaurant similar to dining room and vice versa!

I recommend really finding out new service record before going on Oceania.

I will never go back. I'll try other upscale cruises as Oceania seems to have been grades for all services, food quality, and crew!!!