Noro on Riviera again

RJB

eroller - I think you missed post #92 which gave a link to the CDC inspection report done on the Riviera in December.

This report cites 4 crewmembers, 3 in food service, who had symptoms of acute gastroenteritis and who continued to work and eat in the crew mess for many hours - or a full day in one case - before reporting. All 4 were disciplined for their actions. Your notion of the squeaky clean behavior of crew is not borne out by the facts.

Other interesting findings from the report:

-The ship's Outbreak Prevention and Response Plan (OPRP) had incorrect information that the disinfectant could be left for a 30 second contact time, when the actual minimum contact time is 5 minutes.

-The OPRP did not have procedures for notifying embarking passengers of an outbreak, which it is required to have.

- On the Nov 18 TA, which we were on, the ship did not follow required procedure for reporting the outbreak to the CDC's VSP.

It's fascinating reading - check it out.

I saw sick crew members serving on our TA In November as well.

M concerns both onboard and when I returned were discounted by O.

Both DH and I chose to avoid eating from that service area and went to the MDR

Edited by kazu

I saw sick crew members serving on our TA In November as well.

M concerns both onboard and when I returned were discounted by O.

Both DH and I chose to avoid eating from that service area and went to the MDR

When you look at CDC web site and see that 125 passengers were sick and only 3 crew it makes no sense. Someone is not telling the truth, O or the ships senior staff. This can not be. Someone should look at this and heads should roll for breaking the law and not reporting as they should. Putting all of us at risk. It is like the CDC is covering up or they are stupid.

When you look at CDC web site and see that 125 passengers were sick and only 3 crew it makes no sense. Someone is not telling the truth, O or the ships senior staff. This can not be. Someone should look at this and heads should roll for breaking the law and not reporting as they should. Putting all of us at risk. It is like the CDC is covering up or they are stupid.

I do believe those figures. If it turns out otherwise, O faces severe consequences.

I posted my suspicions earlier in this thread and have been flamed enough so suffice to say we saw what we saw. I'll eat my hat if there were only that many sick (crew). DH is trained in this stuff and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot a very ill person.

They were struggling to find a fill in for the fill in for the fill in for bingo. Math is pretty simple. There is more behind this than the passengers and the sole blame does not fall on them

I just received my tub of Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide wipes from Amazon. What is the best way to pack a few dozen of them? Wrap in foil? A few packets in zip-locks? Foil and zip Locks? I don't want them to dry out yet the whole container of 155 would be overkill. (I guess the word overkill would really be good!)

The Good News Is This ....

By the time our cruise on Regatta leaves in July, Oceania will have figured out a way to control this stuff. Better management and control of potential outbreaks will be implemented, or Oceania will risk a major financial and reputation backlash.

We were unfortunate enough to cruise on a VERY ILL Crown Princess around the British Isles a few years back. Code Red for 10 of the 12 days. Several hundred passengers fell to the Noro Virus, although the true numbers and extent would never be reported as there is no CDC in Europe. (WHY a continent with such major social services would not have something equivalent boggles my mind!!)

Long Story Short: Crown Princess had several rounds of this Noro Bug subsequently, some making major news outlets in the States. They seem to have finally got that ship under control. Thank Goodness!

I posted my suspicions earlier in this thread and have been flamed enough so suffice to say we saw what we saw. I'll eat my hat if there were only that many sick (crew). DH is trained in this stuff and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot a very ill person.

They were struggling to find a fill in for the fill in for the fill in for bingo. Math is pretty simple. There is more behind this than the passengers and the sole blame does not fall on them

I think they really have to start looking at the crew or they afraid to see what they might find.

The Good News Is This ....

By the time our cruise on Regatta leaves in July, Oceania will have figured out a way to control this stuff. Better management and control of potential outbreaks will be implemented, or Oceania will risk a major financial and reputation backlash.

We were unfortunate enough to cruise on a VERY ILL Crown Princess around the British Isles a few years back. Code Red for 10 of the 12 days. Several hundred passengers fell to the Noro Virus, although the true numbers and extent would never be reported as there is no CDC in Europe. (WHY a continent with such major social services would not have something equivalent boggles my mind!!)

Long Story Short: Crown Princess had several rounds of this Noro Bug subsequently, some making major news outlets in the States. They seem to have finally got that ship under control. Thank Goodness!

You bring up a topic I have been wondering about. I have been following this thread because we sail on the Riviera in May from Venice to Barcelona. We visit five countries: Italy, Croatia, Montenegro, France, and Spain. I know that the CDC has jurisdiction only for cruises that call at a US port, although I think that jurisdiction extends to the entire route. In any event, it will not apply to our voyage. Presumably some governing body enforces health standards in the Mediterranean. Anybody know who does it or what kind of standards are In force?

We will be on the Riviera March 13, just ordered Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Wipes, getting the container with 155 wipes.

They are available at numerous websites and you can get a good price using Google shopping.

We plan to bring a supply of zip lock baggies and put some wipes in a baggie several times a day. The baggie will go in my purse.

I just received my tub of Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide wipes from Amazon. What is the best way to pack a few dozen of them? Wrap in foil? A few packets in zip-locks? Foil and zip Locks? I don't want them to dry out yet the whole container of 155 would be overkill. (I guess the word overkill would really be good!)

Like another poster just wrote, we will keep them in zip lock bags. Foil also sounds like a good idea - may try both! I also plan on using them on the plane (seat arms, controls and especially the tray table).

We will be on the Riviera March 13, just ordered Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide Wipes, getting the container with 155 wipes.

They are available at numerous websites and you can get a good price using Google shopping.

We plan to bring a supply of zip lock baggies and put some wipes in a baggie several times a day. The baggie will go in my purse.

We have wipes as well that we ordered on line and we plan to wipe the cabin down when we arrive and also keep some on hand in a baggie for around the ship as needed. On that note, what exactly will people be wiping down with their special wipes when they get on board? Sincere question.

Atta Girl ! :cool::cool::cool:

You got a killer's instinct . Edited by iamkingofall
I'm brilliant

We have wipes as well that we ordered on line and we plan to wipe the cabin down when we arrive and also keep some on hand in a baggie for around the ship as needed. On that note, what exactly will people be wiping down with their special wipes when they get on board? Sincere question.

I think I'll be getting these wipes as well. Plus Lysol spray. What a festive way to start a cruise! I'll say this it will be a first.

I will wipe down all door handles, drawer pulls, light switches, the TV remote, toilet flush switch, telephone, and any faucet handles.

Plus anything else I think of when I'm there!

I've heard things such as TV remotes, light switches, door knobs, and such harbor germs. On planes, the tray table is particularly germ filled. I've never had such concerns nor have I ever gotten noro on 35 previous cruises. But I have gotten colds and coughs and although not as deblitating as noro, wipes can help in preventing too. I may even carry with me and use on other locations around the ship. I guess this will be another way of identifying the Cruise Critic readers!

I just learned that so far no one has become ill with Noro. So a little over 24 hours; 48 to go. If someone does become ill, we start over. But everyone is happy and upbeat. Fingers crossed! My husband met someone onboard from corporate office. He said he's flying back to Miami from San Juan. They are obviously taking this very seriously despite what some on this thread imply.

I just learned that so far no one has become ill with Noro. So a little over 24 hours; 48 to go. If someone does become ill, we start over. But everyone is happy and upbeat. Fingers crossed! My husband met someone onboard from corporate office. He said he's flying back to Miami from San Juan. They are obviously taking this very seriously despite what some on this thread imply.

Really appreciate the update and it sounds like they are doing everything possible. Fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy and the rest of your cruise is awesome!!

Actually, folks, Smarter Travel has been advocating doing these things for quite a while whenever you are traveling -- in the hotel room, on the plane (or train or even a car, I guess). So it's really no different. Perhaps more prevalent ...

(We just received those peroxide wipes today ourselves even though we aren't traveling until June.)

But when they report fecal matter on remote controls and light switches ... :(

So I've started wiping down the obvious surfaces wherever we are even though we in general have never had problems. (Even at home!)

Mura

Did the serving staff have noro??

when I had it I could barely get out of bed

I would think those doing the trivia & bingo had more interaction with the passengers so will come down with anything going around

are you still in Code Red??

So I've started wiping down the obvious surfaces wherever we are even though we in general have never had problems. (Even at home!)

Mura

I have been doing this for years when travelling

You just never know where those hands touching the remotes have been ;)