A big hello and a couple of Newbie Oasis Questions

LConstable

Hello Everyone

I am new to Cruise Critic but certainly not new to travel forums - we are traveling on the Oasis on April 23rd and I have become the defacto planner – mostly because I am a bit of a control freak and the people we are travelling with tend to just go with the flow - - so it all works out just fine haha. This is a “Senior Trip” for my daughter and our best friend’s son (there are 9 of us total 4 adults and 5 teenagers) so we picked the big “cool kids” ship. I have a bunch of really random questions (I did search the site but wasn’t getting any matches) so hopefully someone out there can help – apologies if it’s been asked and answered before!

I thought I read somewhere that you can make reservations for the (on ship) zipline – but I haven’t found it anywhere – did I dream that? If not, any advice on beating the crowds?.

Is the Solarium Pool Adults only? (what’s an adult…. 17 I would guess?)

Does anyone have an estimate cost of a taxi ride from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the port – I hate to buy the transfers for $17 pp (there are four of us)?

If we do express de-embarkation off the ship do you think we will be okay making a 12 Noon flight out of FLL – it never occurred to me that it would take a while to get off the ship we have always been off by 9:00am (we have never sailed with 6,000 people either though)

Any tips for where to head at Labadee (with said teenagers) we didn’t do any excursions here but want a nice chill beach day – but I know the kids will want to be in the thick of it?

Thanks for humoring me – we have done a bunch of cruises some with Royal Caribbean and some not, so I am not a complete newbie but I will say that the sheer size of this ship is throwing me for a loop – damn Royal Caribbean commercials!

Thanks Bunches

Laura

The Guest Conduct Policy has all the info you need for age limits and more. The Solarium age is 16.

In regards to getting from the airport to the terminal. I would take UberXL. I'm not sure how familiar with Uber you may or may not be, but that will be best bet in regards to cost, ease, and comfort. You can get a fare estimate here: Uber Fare Estimate. Use FLL and Port Everglades Terminal 18 as your start and end point. Looks to be about $22-$28 for an UberXL. UberXL is a bigger vehicle with more space for people and luggage than UberX. We used Uber for our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and it was great.

The Labadee beach cabanas are the best. The cost is the total for 6 people. Well worth it. Haven't tried the zip line at Labadee, but will be there the week before you, so we plan on trying that then. The same can be said for the ship zip line. :)

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No reservations need or taken for the zipline.

Solarium pool and hot tubs are for 16 and over.

Taxi is $15 to $20 with tip.

Noon flight should be fine.

Edited by clarea

Welcome to Cruise critic.

If you follow this link it will take you to the people who are cruising on the same cruise with you. You may find that helpful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2041347

Since your cruising on 4/23, its very important that you get off the ship as soon as possible on the 30th. :D

Hello Everyone

I am new to Cruise Critic but certainly not new to travel forums - we are traveling on the Oasis on April 23rd and I have become the defacto planner – mostly because I am a bit of a control freak and the people we are travelling with tend to just go with the flow - - so it all works out just fine haha. This is a “Senior Trip” for my daughter and our best friend’s son (there are 9 of us total 4 adults and 5 teenagers) so we picked the big “cool kids” ship. I have a bunch of really random questions (I did search the site but wasn’t getting any matches) so hopefully someone out there can help – apologies if it’s been asked and answered before!

I thought I read somewhere that you can make reservations for the (on ship) zipline – but I haven’t found it anywhere – did I dream that? If not, any advice on beating the crowds?.

Is the Solarium Pool Adults only? (what’s an adult…. 17 I would guess?)

Does anyone have an estimate cost of a taxi ride from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the port – I hate to buy the transfers for $17 pp (there are four of us)?

If we do express de-embarkation off the ship do you think we will be okay making a 12 Noon flight out of FLL – it never occurred to me that it would take a while to get off the ship we have always been off by 9:00am (we have never sailed with 6,000 people either though)

Any tips for where to head at Labadee (with said teenagers) we didn’t do any excursions here but want a nice chill beach day – but I know the kids will want to be in the thick of it?

Thanks for humoring me – we have done a bunch of cruises some with Royal Caribbean and some not, so I am not a complete newbie but I will say that the sheer size of this ship is throwing me for a loop – damn Royal Caribbean commercials!

Thanks Bunches

Laura

I sailed the Oasis last year. You will love her! We sailed with our adult sons and their families, which included 4 teenagers, so this is the cruise for your gang.

No need for reservations on the zip line. It moves right along.

The ship is large, but there is so much to do, and so many complimentary dining venues. Our favorite area was Central Park. A great place to unwind before bed with a cocktail, or a quick snack in the afternoon at the Park Cafe.

It only costs $15.00 for a taxi ride from the airport.

As for Labadee--a lovely beach day! I found the bay areas nicer, but there are several beach areas to choose from, with a trolley that runs from one end to the other. There are plenty of bars, and you will get a great BBQ lunch!

Enjoy the Oasis! I wish my cruise on her was longer than 7 days! Fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

The zip line was never terribly crowded from what I saw. There's more of a line to sign the waivers and get a wrist band (right behind the zip line next to the wave rider). If you're not too busy looking for food, I'd suggest trying it right after embarking, or after lunch -- around noon or 1pm. Or at least getting the waivers & wrist-band part done. Note you must be wearing socks and not have anything on your person, in your pockets etc. Even jewelry like bracelets. They are afraid of things falling and injuring people on the Boardwalk below.

Noon flight should be fine. If you are very concerned you can carry your own luggage off.

As for Labadee, the kids would enjoy the water park (big slides and flotables) for sure. Don't buy tickets in advance on the ship. They were cheaper on shore plus you might change your mind due to weather etc. About $20/hour. The kids may also like the wavy/windy beach side more than the placid side. Kayaking is another thing they can do that won't break the bank. Of course they may want to try the water slide or zip line. Depends if it's worth the money to you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

No reservations need or taken for the zipline.

Solarium pool and hot tubs are for 16 and over.

Taxi is $15 to $20 with tip.

Noon flight should be fine.

and the earlier in the cruise that you do the zipline, the less crowded it will be. The last day.............:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Have you booked your entertainment? You can do it online and not have to stand at the door waiting for the no res people to be allowed in.

The Ice Show, Aqua Theater show and Come Fly With Me are all don't miss. Shows. The comedy show is so popular it fills up fast. If you're going to do that, do it quickly. No charge for any of it.

Have you booked your entertainment? You can do it online and not have to stand at the door waiting for the no res people to be allowed in.

The Ice Show, Aqua Theater show and Come Fly With Me are all don't miss. Shows. The comedy show is so popular it fills up fast. If you're going to do that, do it quickly. No charge for any of it.

First time on Oasis in August. Where do we find the times to sign up ahead of time? We haven't made our reservation yet doing that tomorrow. Does that come after joining the Crown and Anchor?

Thank you.

First time on Oasis in August. Where do we find the times to sign up ahead of time? We haven't made our reservation yet doing that tomorrow. Does that come after joining the Crown and Anchor?

Thank you.

You can go into your Cruise Planner without being a member of Crown & Anchor. Just use this link and enter your cruise and name info:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruiseplanner

Went on Oasis last August and loved it! In Labadee we did the zipline across the water. This was the first time for all 6 of us adults to zipline and we LOVED it!!! We wished we could have gone again it was so much fun! If you have a GOPRO bring it!

Virginia