Port Charges vs Port Expenses?

wrmiles

I recently booked a 21 day Southern/Western Carribean cruise as part of a package through a travel agency affiliated with my insurance company. In addition to the fare I was charged the following:

$266 pp for taxes, fees, and port expenses (same as Holland America site, which I understand and fully accept).

$480 pp for cruise line pass-thru fees.

In questioning the purposes an legitimacy of the $480 pp, I called the agency and was put put on the line with a Holland America representative who explained that the charge was legitimate, was normally hidden in the advertised cruise fare, and was for port charges which are somehow different than the port expenses included in the $266.

Neither could or would refer me to anything in writing and the distinction is not covered in the HA cruise contract.

I have reulactantly accepted the situation based on HA assurances, but feel it is deceptive.

I wonder if anyone could shed any further light on this situation?

So if you add up your fare + fees + expenses, etc., is the total to be paid close to or less than or more than the total on the HAL website? Trying to compare apples to apples here, the bottom line.

I don't know if you are past final payment and could cancel and rebook with a different TA or a HAL PCC or even HAL directly if you could find a better deal.

I have seen (a long time ago) my cruise price broken in several categories, and the "cruise fare" was only a small portion of the price. Hope you can find a satisfactory way to compare. m--

Those charges used to be called "port charges" but that practice was deemed misleading to consumers and banned.

They vary by cruise itinerary and are supposed to reflect the other expenses the cruise line incurs for bringing a ship into each port that are not specifically 'taxes'.

They fees are now generally referred to as "non-discountable amounts" or non-commissionable amounts" and must be included in the advertised cruise fare.

Regardless of how much the cruise price decreases or increases, this amount of the cruise fare stays the same, and travel agencies are not paid commissions on this amount.

Not so. On our last cruise we missed Half moon Cay because the ocean was too rough. We were refunded "Taxes, fees and Port expenses" in the amount of $34.90 pp and then a Tax refund of $18.00 due to cancel of half moon cay pp. Giving us a credit on our ship board account of $105.80 total for the two of us.

We had no idea that the port charges/fees/taxes were so much for their private island.

Am curious about the "Pass Through Fee." We have only been cruising for forty plus years (stopped counting cruises after the first 50) and book through several different cruise agencies. We have never heard of this fee. Also wondering how the OP knew they were really talking to a HAL rep...as opposed to someone at the agency.

Hank

OP here:

The $480 pp pass-thru fees are definately what is also known as NCF's.

A direct e-mail from HAL stated that the pass-thru fees are legitimate and are "port charges." They refused to elaborate further, referring me to the booking agency.

This cruise was booked as part of vacation package in which the disclosure of additional fees was verbal and hard to follow. Additional Googling reveals that these fees are being charged for cruises booked through such means as vacation clubs and time share points. There is at least one individual fairly recent lawsuit on this issue.

HAL's online contract says the following:

“Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses” as used by Carrier, may include any and all fees, charges, tolls and taxes imposed on us by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities, as well third party fees and charges arising from a vessel's presence in a harbor or port."

I consider this very deceptive wording since it says that the $266 pp may include all sources of taxes, port exepenses and fees. Then again, I guess it may not.

I believe that the main source of deception on this issue lies with the booking agencies, but the cruise lines (not just HAL) are condoning and allowing it to happen.

My bad for not insisting on getting everything in writing before booking.

Not so. On our last cruise we missed Half moon Cay because the ocean was too rough. We were refunded "Taxes, fees and Port expenses" in the amount of $34.90 pp and then a Tax refund of $18.00 due to cancel of half moon cay pp. Giving us a credit on our ship board account of $105.80 total for the two of us.

We had no idea that the port charges/fees/taxes were so much for their private island.

The Bahamas really started to rack up fees the last few years. Witness the new "security hut" on HMC. There are government fees associated with this special screening. (Because, you know... Well, actually now that I think about it... I bet there are a fair number of people who would destroy the Pirate Bar if they could. Granted, it would be a polite destruction, with canapés, beverages, and light refreshments. And the perpetrators would be slathered in suncream... Shuffling off towards the security hut - with foot washing station, comfy seating, and a bar.)

Agencies do things differently:

One will charge $1000 for the cruise + $200 taxes = $1200

Another, trying to "beat out" the competition, will advertise $750 for the cruise, then + $200 taxes + $250 NCF/port charges/NDA = 1200

Some people will get draw-in by the cheaper advertised Cruise pricing, only to find that that particular agency does not include the NCF charge in the cruise pricing the way most others do.

Whenever I see a cruise advertised at what I think is a really low price, I check the fine print to see what is "not included".

Sounds as if something like this is at issue here. You seem to have got the HAL price, though. As noted by the travelinjones, this is a no-no now in the business.

Edited by SilvertoGold