Help Choosing - RCI Allure or Freedom or NCL Getaway or Escape?

I realize this is RCI forum, so I will also post in NCL forums to get opinions from all sides.

Also, I know this says it's my first post - it's just been a long time since I posted and I forgot my password - and since I first joined around 2002 :eek: - the email account I used to sign up is no longer active - so, new poster :)

Family of 4 - Me, DH and 2 kids who will be 8 and 6 at the time of cruise. Kids are not overly adventurous (ie, not big fans of heights) - but I really want something that will be good for kids their age.

Cruise History - DH and I have been on 3 cruises so far - Carnival Sensation in 2002 (OMG), Mariner of the Seas 2006 and Disney Wonder in 2013.

Kids were on the Wonder with us in 2013 and dying to go back - we all loved it - but for cost reasons, looking at other lines for this year. We were really spoiled by the Wonder experience and want to give the kids (and ourselves) another great time.

Definitely want a room with a pull down bed so the two kids do not need to share a bed.

We've (I've) narrowed it down to 4 options:

Freedom - Western (Orlando, Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Cozumel). $3670 for a balcony. ($200 OBC)

Allure - Eastern (Ft. Lauderdale, Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) - $3500 for a balcony. ($200 OBC)

NCI Getaway - Western (Miami, Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel) - $3036. Includes Beverage Package and 4 specialty dining packages.

NCI Escape - Eastern (Miami, St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau) - $3200 for Minisuite (basically a balcony room). Includes Beverage Package and 4 specialty dining packages.

These are all for cruises that leave the same weekend. Looking for the best choice for hubby and kids in terms of stateroom, ports and onboard activities (kids clubs, pools and nightly entertainment). One of the great things about Disney was that the kids could also go to the shows every night.

Appreciate any and all input!

Edited by CruisingMom-2016

I think I'm leaning towards RCI - Can anyone help as between Freedom and Allure?

I'm afraid Allure will feel overhwhelming?

Also, looking at a Balcony GTY on Allure, but I'd like to make sure we get a Pullman (top bunk) and not a sleeper sofa for the kids to share.

Any advice to guarantee a pullman on either Freedom or Allure?

Thoughts on the Panoramic OV on Freedom?

Looking at trips the second weekend in May (5/7-5/8) so need to decide ASAP - and really appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

As much as I would like to try the Allure, for us it would be based solely on price, so I would go with the Escape with the free beverage package and the dining package. I'm not sure what your habits are though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think I'm leaning towards RCI - Can anyone help as between Freedom and Allure?

I'm afraid Allure will feel overhwhelming?

Also, looking at a Balcony GTY on Allure, but I'd like to make sure we get a Pullman (top bunk) and not a sleeper sofa for the kids to share.

Any advice to guarantee a pullman on either Freedom or Allure?

Thoughts on the Panoramic OV on Freedom?

Looking at trips the second weekend in May (5/7-5/8) so need to decide ASAP - and really appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

You cannot control exactly what kind of stateroom you get with a guarantee. Best way to be sure of what you get is to pick a specific stateroom.

Interesting that the Freedom is more than Allure. We haven't been yet but we're going on Allure with kids similar in ages. These Royal ships look amazing with the DreamWorks experience. If it's between these two, what itinerary do you prefer? And us Orlando or Fort Lauderdale better? Those two things alone may help you decide.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

Thanks, all. I'm cool with either itinerary and both Orlando and FLL or Miami are similar flights for us.

If we did Freedom - would probably do an Ocean View for under $2700. And then I don't even have to think of kids and balcony :)

Escape and Getaway seem to have lower ratings on here than Allure and Freedom.

Plus, RCI has the dream works characters - which are a plus.

Anyone know which rooms on RCI have Pullmans? (Seemed to be hard to find).

Also, as a general matter - Allure or FOS? The size of Allure scares me - but I think my kids would really like the diving show. I don't like the description of a floating mall though.

Additional responses / input are appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks, all. I'm cool with either itinerary and both Orlando and FLL or Miami are similar flights for us.

If we did Freedom - would probably do an Ocean View for under $2700. And then I don't even have to think of kids and balcony :)

Escape and Getaway seem to have lower ratings on here than Allure and Freedom.

Plus, RCI has the dream works characters - which are a plus.

Anyone know which rooms on RCI have Pullmans? (Seemed to be hard to find).

Also, as a general matter - Allure or FOS? The size of Allure scares me - but I think my kids would really like the diving show. I don't like the description of a floating mall though.

Additional responses / input are appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like you might prefer Freedom for it's size. Someone who has been on one or both can help you more.

There are different stateroom configurations. We have a promenade room on Allure and it has a sofa bed and a Pullman. You can look at the deck plan and then look for the symbols. E.g. the cross has 2 Pullmans and a diamond means a sofa bed and a Pullman. The colour tells you the stateroom category.

One deck on Freedom:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=FR

Edited by LuCruise

I'd choose Allure. Boardwalk, Carousel, diving show, great Aquazone. Freedom also a good choice, but my two girls (6 and 8) had more to do on the Oasis class than on Freedom. I've also been on Escape and while they have a kids water area and the slides, the general vibe wasn't as family friendly (at least for me).

I have been on getaway, freedom, and Oasis. We had a great time on all of our cruises. That being said I think there is more for kids to do on either the getaway or allure. We personally loved the slides on the NCL ships. I know you said you are not a fan of heights so the 2 drop slides probably wouldn't be your thing, but the other slides were still fun. You didn't mention in your post when you were looking to go. Harmony begins sailin in the USA in Nov. She looks amazing. If that were in option I would choose Harmony hands down. Have fun on whatever ship you choose 😀

I think you have done a good job narrowing it down. They all seem like decent options. I personally prefer 4 port days. Even you do not get off the ship everyone else does. To me that narrows it down to FOS and Getaway. We did Getaway over Christmas and FOS Mid January with a 4 and 6 year old. If I had the dining and drink package I would choose Getaway in a second (we had just the drink package which was nice).

For the kids, FOS has the H20 zone, but the water is cold even in the caribbean in January. The nice thing is that they have two "hot" tubs in the H20 zone which are not very hot and good for kids without any adults being bothered. One of the main pools is also heated which was nice. They also have flowrider, minigolf, climbing wall, etc. Our kids were too small for most of that stuff.

On Getaway the have a smaller H20 zone that the kids seemed to like equally as well, but no hot tubs near the kids area. They had a pool in the kids area but it was cold. The only hot tubs were in the main pool area and often busy. There are 4 hot tubs there, but two are adults only. In addition, they have several waterslides which the kids (and adults) had a great time on. They also had a spider web climbing structure, bungee trampoline, rock wall, and ropes course. As much if not more to do than on FOS.

On Getaway we had room 9186 which was great with an angled balcony. Inside the room we had one pull down and a sofa. On FOS for the same price were had connecting promenade rooms which was nice to have two of everything. For us both room arrangements were fine, but the angled balcony on Getaway was nice.

All in all I would pick what suits the adults better (drink/dining packages, ports, etc). I think the kids will enjoy either ship equally. They are both different experiences, but neither is bad. Alot of it will depend on the week you sail, who servers you, other guests on board, etc (alot of things you cannot control).

Escape, the price comparison, ship quality of Escape vs Royal ships, especially with the NCL freebies right now....its no contest.

Look at my future cruises, I made the switch....and Im about to cancel my 2017 Royal cruise as well.

Thanks for the advice! I think the negative reviews for Getaway / Escape are making me nervous. We're not huge drinkers, so we can deal if we need to pay for some drinks. (Though I know we would definitely drink more if we had a package!).

After cruising Disney - I think I really want to figure out what will be best for the kids. The adults will be happy just to be on a cruise ship :)

How is the Getway's itinerary for younger kids?

I think I like the idea of Grand Cayman on FOS. In terms of costs, I think we'd wind up with an OV on Freedom and save some costs. ($2700)

I'm finding myself leaning towards FOS for size, itinerary and characters - but I don't want to regret giving up Allure (Boardwalk, Central Park, Diving Show) - great rate for a balcony (already booked) - or Getaway (better water area for kids?)

I can give some insight for Disney vs Independence and Oasis for kids. We have taken the boys on all three. Their opinion of RCI kids club is not great. They were spoiled by the freedom the Disney kids club offers to do any activity at any time with over 70 workers helping. They lived in the kids club and we hardly saw them. They said oasis kids club was like school in that if you didn't like the activity they were doing then you were out of luck and had to wait for it to finish. Obviously Disney knows kids clubs best. Heck I wanted to stay there too.

With that said they still rank Oasis cruise as number one. We gave the option for this March and they chose oasis without question. They love the neighborhoods. It never feels crowded. (This will be our 3rd time on oasis). Pool areas beat Disney hands down. So many options and not near as crowded. They love the putt putt, flow rider, and rock wall. The dive show is spectacular and we watch it multiple times.

We have been on both freedom and IOS but freedom was without kids. They did not like IOS as much as oasis. It feels more crowded and not as many venues. They missed the dive show and Central Park.

We shared a room on IOS with a sleeper sofa. Boys said it was not that hard after steward gave some padding and they slept well. This cruise on oasis though they will have their own room beside us. I like the extra space and bathroom.

Port wise our kids love western best. We love labadee and Cozumel. Nachi cocom in Cozumel is one of their favorites and we usual rent a jeep and drive around the island to the "wild" side.

I tried to be fair. Sorry if I didn't narrow it done much. Long story short we have loved every cruise we have been on. Always fun times as a family.

I can answer any other specific questions if you have more.

You are really over-thinking everything.

Any of these cruises would be good and there is no "best choice".

Sure people can give opinions but of course most are going to say RC because this is the RC section.

I would go with the Getaway because it has the most ports, best perks and the least expensive.

Also, don't choose for your kids, choose what you want to do.

They will be happy with any selection you make...

You are really over-thinking everything.

Any of these cruises would be good and there is no "best choice".

Sure people can give opinions but of course most are going to say RC because this is the RC section.

I would go with the Getaway because it has the most ports, best perks and the least expensive.

Also, don't choose for your kids, choose what you want to do.

They will be happy with any selection you make...

He has some solid points here.

Also, on the NCL Getaway, the pool is small.

NCL escape, it just started sailing, its going to have a few months of kinks to work out.... Reviews tend to be negative, especially on Cruise Critic....

I continue to lean forward and look for future books since I tend to book far out, dollar for dollar I keep leaning back towards NCL because of all the offers..... RCL continues to slowly raise rates and nickle/dime

Been on both FOS and Allure: I would say Allure, hands down.

RCCL did a great job with the layout of Allure that it doesn't FEEL too big or overwhelming, and the crowds are balanced out in different parts of the ship. I also feel like there's more to do for kids on Allure if they don't like the kids program, especially with exploring the different neighbourhoods.

I think at their age, they won't necessarily notice the difference between FOS or the Allure -- I think they'll enjoy it either way. I just think that the Allure will be a better fit for everyone, parents included. Also, if the kids aren't super fans of the kids program, there are more options for activities for families on Allure than FOS.

Sorry one more thing: THE above being said, I actually prefer the itinerary of FOS to Allure's... Labadee is great.

But, at the end of the day, I'd still choose Allure just based on ship preference.

That's part of my problem - I think I prefer that itinerary too.

I may be overthinking this :-) - but it's not something we do every year and I really want to make the right choice for us. Keeping the kids happy will keep mom and dad happy too =). Wanting us all to have the best possible time.

Don't want it to feel too crowded, activities for the kids to enjoy, activities for parents and kids to enjoy together. Same with the ports. For the rest of it - we'll be happy to just be in a cruise. Having loved Castaway Cay - I'm a little disappointed to not choose an itinerary with a private beach.

Not sure if you've already checked -- maybe look into the Oasis? It may be offering an itinerary closer to what you're looking for, in which case you can get the best of both worlds. Not sure about pricing, etc. though ... but perhaps something to consider!

While I love the Freedom, seriously, don't be "afraid" of the

size of Allure. Once you're onboard, IMHO I don't think it feels

overwhelming or so much bigger than any of the larger ships,

like Freedom.

I've been on both and having taken grandkids on both, think

you can't go wrong with either. Of course my vote is for RCI.

Thanks Sally and Aldri!

Aldri - Oasis does offer a Western itinerary, but leaves Sat. I think we'd prefer to leave Sunday to give ourselves time to travel on Saturday (can't leave before Saturday).

I'm really leaning towards FOS despite what it's "missing". We could do an OV for $2700. (More $$ to spend elee where - maybe at the beach, space station or at one of the parks in Orlando) - private island, and Dreamworks Characters. My kids still really like characters - not sure if they would take advantage of the slides on NCL - and better itinerary.

Also, I think shows might be better for the kids on RCI than NCL.

Of course, if we go back to wanting a balcony, it will be a different ship - not paying that much more for FOS.

Thanks for all of the impute and advice. DH and I are reading it all and discussing. (And over analyzing :) )

Edited by CruisingMom-2016