Westerdam question

Reijo

My good friend went on a cruise on the Westerdam about three weeks ago. She was telling me that they missed eating in the main dining room because there was a charge to eat there. Is this so???? Surely not!!!! As a result, they ate at the buffet nightly. I would love an answer before considering further booking a Panama Cruise through Holland America!

My good friend went on a cruise on the Westerdam about three weeks ago. She was telling me that they missed eating in the main dining room because there was a charge to eat there. Is this so???? Surely not!!!! As a result, they ate at the buffet nightly. I would love an answer before considering further booking a Panama Cruise through Holland America!

No charge for the Main Dining Room, Dive-In, Taco Bar, Explorations snacks (coffee/tea has a charge), Room Service, or Pizza Stations on any HAL ship.

Edited by Crew News

I've had my first Panama Canal booked, paid and counting down days about 28/29 left to March 12th a 21 day on Westerdam and HAL so all three will be firsts.

Real happy about the no charge MDR thats how it is every where I've read... maybe not enough.

Getting excited. Book it...

Thanks for your responses!!! I couldn't believe that the Main Dining Room would have a charge. Totally understand the Specialty Restaurants. I have no clue WHY they misunderstood!

I have heard other stories of people who thought the only free dining was the buffet. I would like to believe that those stories are only 'urban legends' but I have read at least one poster who told of meeting people who were confused and didn't understand the difference between the MDR and specialty restaurants.

Please ask! :D I've heard of this happening once before, and I'm very curious where these people get this idea! ;)

It could happen like that party game where a sequence of people tell the next person something and the meaning is scrambled as it progress person to person.

Possibly something like this. Someone tells someone that there are specialty restaurants on board that cost extra. Someone repeats that to someone else but the "specialty" gets dropped and it becomes all the restaurants on board cost extra. This could happen if information is being passed through a number of people who have not cruised before.

Possibly something like this. Someone tells someone that there are specialty restaurants on board that cost extra. Someone repeats that to someone else but the "specialty" gets dropped and it becomes all the restaurants on board cost extra. This could happen if information is being passed through a number of people who have not cruised before.
I see your point, but "all the restaurants on board cost extra" would include the buffet, not just the MDR.

It could happen like that party game where a sequence of people tell the next person something and the meaning is scrambled as it progress person to person.

Or they could have thought that specialty means special. And the MDR is special when compared to Lido Buffet.

I see your point, but "all the restaurants on board cost extra" would include the buffet, not just the MDR.

The question was how could anyone believe this? Just think about that party game where the initial statement is passed from person to person and winds up something entirely different at the end. There is no logic, it just happens.

I have heard other stories of people who thought the only free dining was the buffet. I would like to believe that those stories are only 'urban legends' but I have read at least one poster who told of meeting people who were confused and didn't understand the difference between the MDR and specialty restaurants.

This couple was older and had only cruised once or twice before. I believe they just got confused. I hate it because I'm afraid it left a "sour taste" in their mouth for HAL. I'll probably NEVER be able to convince them otherwise. I wanted to check it out through those of you who know before talking with them. I never cruised HAL but would never rule it out......unless they charged for the main dining room!!!!

I recall my first Sapphire Princess cruise and I knew there were 2 "paying" restaurants... but I did not dine at 3 or 4 others that looked fancier... I did not want to look funny or do something wrong. We found plenty to eat...

I made up for it the year after. So now I assume the other restaurants on HAL will be similar and have good food.

Edited by GoneJohnson

• 7 months later...

Yeah, but if the rumor was "all the FANCY restaurants (with dress codes) cost extra" that would perpetuate the falsehood.. tsk tsk.. why not ASK instead of driving around lost for 7 days???:confused:

I have seen a couple of reviews where people reported this which is totally incorrect. Not sure where people are getting this idea from?

It seems to have manifested somehow on several cruises. Very strange.

Here's what I think happened: This couple wandered to The Pinnacle Grill rather than the MDR by mistake. Upon attempting to enter they were told that there was a fee to dine there. They then found the Lido buffet where they were assured that there was no fee so they returned each night. Possible that someone could confuse the PG for the MDR? I think so, especially someone with little cruising experience.

All I'll say is I was on the Westerdam 21 days this March and only the PG and Canaletto restruant had a charge. I tried both and everything else from the MDR, Lido Restaurant, room service and more was included in the price...

Edited by GoneJohnson