No free steam and saunas on the new ships!

janacin

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Basically comes down to money and passenger counts.  As long as we (not me but we) keep on booking and going along with their reduction of benefits, they will keep keep on reducing them.  If all of the Princess loyalists switched to other lines or even better to cruise lines owned by other companies they might listen.  Since we all know that the loyalists will complain but will find excuses to stay w Princess the slicing of benefits will continue.  

DON

Since I started cruising back in the early eighties, cruises had no real loyalty benefits included in the fare that I can remember.  Everything here at home has gone up exponentially since that time, including wages.  You know what hasn't kept up with inflation ... the base price of a cruise?  I used to gage my cruises on $100 a day per passenger and that is for the base price of a cruise.  If I could get a balcony cabin for that, well, yahoo!!  Now, if I can get the gratuities, beverage package and my WiFi included for that price ... well, now that is a smoking deal.  Even if a balcony cabin with the Princess Plus at $150 a day pp is a great deal and hasn't nearly even come close to the increases of our normal living expenses have.  I would generally spend $100 a day per couple while on a cruise for things that are now included for $80 a day for those same things that are now included.  I'm still getting the same pricing on cruises as they cost me 40 years ago.  So yes, I've noticed some cutbacks but they still haven't priced me out of taking some really wonderful vacation days at sea.  So, I will take those cutbacks any day in exchange for an affordable vacation.  

I'm sure some will argue that they can't find cruises at that price but they must not be looking too hard because I have been able to go on seven cruises since the restart last July and haven't paid that $100 a day pp yet and all of my sailings have so far been in at least a balcony cabin.  I have several more booked for the same deal between now and September.  

You know what has gone up are the taxes and fees, transportation to the ship and gratuities.  The basic cost of cruising really hasn't risen that much at all.  Of course drinks without the beverage package have gone up, too but not when you book it with the Princess Plus package and the same goes for the gratuities.  We're getting so much more than before for the same amount of $$ that I don't need to make any excuses to stay with Princess or any other cruiseline I might travel on. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

The Enchanted is a Royal Class ship so, as discussed above, you would have to pay for access to the Enclave in order to get access to a sauna. There are no free saunas/steam rooms on the Royal Class ships. 

Thank you

When I was on the Regal in December, the cost for the thermal area was $119 on-board for the week.  Pre-cruise it was $99.  I tried to book it in advance, but not far enough in advance.  You cannot book inside of 48-hours.

That said, if you walked into the spa area with your robe on, unless you ask for a locker key, there really is no one that would challenge anyone.  I suppose you could just head straight to the thermal pool.

On 3/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, alexdw said:

Just seen the Enchanted Princess in St Thomas. Anyone know if it has free sauna and /or steam?

I just got off the Enchanted on Monday.  I love the sauna and steam room but they do not have  free one on the Enchanted.  It is in the spa and requires money to access it.  Seems to be true of all royal class ships or in other words all new builds.

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I just got off the Enchanted on Monday.  I love the sauna and steam room but they do not have  free one on the Enchanted.  It is in the spa and requires money to access it.  Seems to be true of all royal class ships or in other words all new builds.

Is the spa steam and sauna Coed or single sex?

4 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

On the Royal Class ships, the sauna and steam rooms are part of The Enclave, within the Spa, and is all co-ed. 

Thank you, that is a shame.

19 hours ago, Guardsy said:

That said, if you walked into the spa area with your robe on, unless you ask for a locker key, there really is no one that would challenge anyone.  I suppose you could just head straight to the thermal pool.

The last time I was on the Regal pre pandemic, I needed a key card to get into the thermal pool area. Hopefully that is still the case as I think no one should go in there unless they've paid for the pass.

• Like 1

After a long day sauna and steam were a daily part of my cruise experience! I am so disappointed they are only available for a fee on the newer ships. I have continued booking the Emerald class ships but the itineraries aren’t always what I enjoy! With the Elite perks one by one disappearing seems less of an advantage to be loyal to Princess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vjblk said:

The last time I was on the Regal pre pandemic, I needed a key card to get into the thermal pool area. Hopefully that is still the case as I think no one should go in there unless they've paid for the pass.

You do still need a key card to access The Enclave. When you check in at the front desk of the Lotus Spa, they will give you a key card that will give you access The Enclave, along with a wrist band that has a magnetic "key" for the lockers (btw @alexdw, the locker rooms are NOT co-ed, if that matters). You can only enter The Enclave with a key card. Guests cannot simply wander around in robes and get into the Enclave, unless someone were to let them in. 

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 1

I always enjoyed the Sauna/Steam setup on the former Golden Princess and current Grand Princess - just forward of the lotus pool and basically outdoors.  Perfect on a chilly cruise to step out from the sauna into the ocean air.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Guardsy said:

When I was on the Regal in December, the cost for the thermal area was $119 on-board for the week.  Pre-cruise it was $99.  I tried to book it in advance, but not far enough in advance.  You cannot book inside of 48-hours.

No. You need a card. You get it at the front desk. I’m not letting you in with my card should you happen to show up at the locked door at the same time as me.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:10 PM, Kmkub said:

No. You need a card. You get it at the front desk. I’m not letting you in with my card should you happen to show up at the locked door at the same time as me.

On the Regal in December, no card needed.  Zip. Zero.  I paid for the spa and went every day.  Was never once challenged or asked for anything as I walked past the desk.  Only the first time did I ask for a locker key.  After that I realized I could hang my cabin robe in the spa.