Onboard Trivia

Artemis908

We love playing trivia (I more than my DW). We've met people on cruises that have become friends for the whole cruise, and some for after, at trivia games. It's not uncommon, and almost expected, that people join up in teams so we typically just look for some team that doesn't have 6 people yet and ask if we can join. No one has ever said no (even if they might want to) and we always have fun.

We don't care about the free stuff. The prizes are not that great. There are some people that take it very seriously and we've even seen people sneaking a peak on the phone or iPad. But, that doesn't matter. If they really want the key chain that bad ... that's their problem.

We learn all kinds of fun facts, have some good laughs, and meet people we see around the ship for the rest of the cruise. It doesn't cost anything.

I hope they continue offering these events for as long as we keep cruising.

BTW, we've been on B2B cruises and they try not to repeat the questions. When we've recognized questions from the previous cruise we just play the game, but disqualify ourselves from getting prizes (or give them to second place teams if we're on a team of newbies). I have said during trivias, "I can't answer that because it was on the list last cruise" and let the rest of the team work it out. It doesn't happen as often any more because there are so many B2B cruisers that they really try not to repeat the questions.

It's all for fun anyway. Like I said, the prizes are not worthy stressing over.

Tom

Then there are the people that cheat with their smart phones. There was a group cheating at Disney trivia. It was ridiculous, they were competing against a bunch of little kids. They eventually got caught and had to put their phone away. We ended up trading papers with them to score and you could see the point where they got caught. They went from every answer correct, to wrong answers on easy questions. :rolleyes:

One time we did an "Elvis" song trivia. As it turns out the beginning of almost all Elvis songs sounds the same (at least for the ones they used). So we answered "Jailhouse Rock" for every one. And we one because we got one answer right and no one else thought of that idea.

We all had a good laugh.

Also, why do cruise ships think the only music done in the 70's was disco? Really? So so much great music from the 70's and almost none of it is disco. I could see for parties or on the promenade how disco could be fun because it's loud and stuff, but for 70's Song Trivia how about throwing in some singer/songwriter, Motown, R&B, rock, etc. :rolleyes:

Tom

We were disappointed that they only had 11 tracks for Broadway music trivia. We were so confident in our answers, that Mei (the staff member running the session), used our answer sheet as the answer key :p

I had that identical experience with Mei the following week. :D

It's pretty informal; people just grab a cocktail table; teams of a handful of people, pick a wacky name, everyone gets a good laugh at the butchering of questions by the activities staff (lost in translation sort of stuff), usually someone argues the the answer book is WRONG, some weirdos save their answer sheets from every cruise (I have seen this a few times). 15 to 20 questions. You switch papers, grade them, bingo bongo bango, there you go. Prizes are usually worth what you paid to play. If it's music trivia "Titanic" is good enough to get you at least 1 out of 20 right. <insert corny joke here by cruise staff>. It's fun.

When the Revolution comes, if it can be fueled by Royal Caribbean trivia prize water wallets, highlighters, and key chains I will be in good stead.

Magnificently well-said! :)