Live from the Liberty

dodgersmom

Revitalized Liberty. Good, bad and ugly

6:30am on day 3. Sitting out on the balcony on a beautiful morning. DH is still sleeping so thought I would take a few minutes and give you my observations after 1 full day. Please keep in mind that these are observations, not complaints. Any day on a ship is a fabulous day...

Let's start with the bad. So far, the food at the Windjammer is just not good. We've been sailing on Royal for a long time, and while I would never call the complimentary offerings gourmet, they have been in a decline over the past few years. For breakfasts , I stick to the pre made offerings. Fruit, cottage cheese, bread. The made to order eggs are good according to DH, but the hot foods are just not that good. I'm not much of a breakfast person so I can get by with what they have. Lunches are the same song and dance every day. Generally the selection is boring and I stick to a salad and a burger. Dinners have been OK. We don't eat in the MDR. Night 1 in the WJ was actually good as they had a stir fry station and I made a very tasty beef with broccoli. Last night was Chops which is always very good. Again it's the same thing with the WJ. The stir fry was made to order but anything pre made and sitting out was just not that good.

The only other thing I am putting in the bad category right now is the new mattresses. I had read that they were rock hard, and that was not exaggerated. Maybe that's why I am sitting out on the balcony at 6:30. I like a firm mattress, but this is way too firm for me. I need to remember to ask our cabin steward if they have any toppers.

OK, the ugly. Really don't have anything here. There are a few things that still need to be fixed or updated since dry dock, but all just little things that I have seen so far. Things like the TV menus not being updated with the right restaurants. The way finder board by our elevator bank is not working right, and the ones that do are also not updated. Internet is hot and cold. Sometimes the connection is great, and I was able to use FaceTime yesterday. But this morning I could not connect. And, no flaming as I do not cruise to watch TV, but I do like to have it on before bed. Please RC, add more channels. If you don't want to watch CNN, ESPN international or Parks and Rec in 7 different languages, none of which are English, you're pretty much out of luck. Also, first visit to the Diamond Lounge last night. It's very nice. Was not crowded, but the concierge could have cared less that we were there. I'm used to them coming around, talking to the guests and introducing themselves, especially on the first day. Nothing. He sat at his desk and browsed the Internet the whole time we were there, which was about an hour. The bartenders were great and very attentive though.

Now the good...I'm on vacation, on a ship, in the Caribbean. So it's all good. It's a good mix of passengers, older and younger. Yesterday, we went out at about 10 and had no trouble finding chairs on the main pool deck. The crew has been very friendly. We don't see our cabin steward much, but we have all the clean towels, made bed and ice we need. The new water slides are half open. The 2 racing slides are working and yes, I did try it yesterday. It was a lot of fun, but I suffer from severe Motion sickness on things like that so I could only do it once, but it was worth the dizziness I had after. The second slide is still not working. Apparently, there is an issue that the landing area is not long enough and it could pose a safety issue. You would think that they would have caught that in the design phase. So a little bummed about that.

So, that's just my first day observations. I'll try to answer questions as I get online and will update as I try more things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for reporting! I do have a couple of questions about Liberty if you get a chance to find out.

1) What are the age/height restrictions for the new water slides? I'm assuming they have a sign posted with this information (and probably other restrictions too, such as warnings about people with health issues).

2) Is Johnny Rockets following the cover charge (all-you-can-eat) + pay for drinks model, or the a la carte, individual item pricing model (as it is on Anthem)?

I am not sure if you will have time to answer all of these questions or if somebody else knows, go ahead. We are on this ship in less than 4 weeks. My wife wants to know if there are any themes that she needs to pack for? (Formal night or anything else)

I am kind of glad that we are taking a break from Disney, so we can leave our pirate stuff at home.:)

I am not sure if you will have time to answer all of these questions or if somebody else knows, go ahead. We are on this ship in less than 4 weeks. My wife wants to know if there are any themes that she needs to pack for? (Formal night or anything else)

I am kind of glad that we are taking a break from Disney, so we can leave our pirate stuff at home.:)

There are two formal nights on a 7-day cruise.

Thank you for reporting! I do have a couple of questions about Liberty if you get a chance to find out.

1) What are the age/height restrictions for the new water slides? I'm assuming they have a sign posted with this information (and probably other restrictions too, such as warnings about people with health issues).

2) Is Johnny Rockets following the cover charge (all-you-can-eat) + pay for drinks model, or the a la carte, individual item pricing model (as it is on Anthem)?

I know there is a height and weight restriction for the slides. I will check on the details today. It looked to be about 4 foot. Not sure of the weight but there was a scale there. While I was there they did make a man get on and then denied him getting on. I am also going to assume somewhere around 300 but will check that also. Have not been to JR but believe it is the cover charge and pay for drinks.

There is also a 70s night but that is all I think there is. We are not into dressing for the themes.

Great. Anything for kids (12 & 14)? I remember reading here somewhere that the clubs have theme nights sometimes. I could be mistaken about that though.

I know there is a height and weight restriction for the slides. I will check on the details today. It looked to be about 4 foot. Not sure of the weight but there was a scale there. While I was there they did make a man get on and then denied him getting on. I am also going to assume somewhere around 300 but will check that also.

Thank you for checking. I'm more concerned about the lower limits...I suspect DD will not be able to go on the slides as she's going to be under 48" tall :( Unless they allow an adult to go down the slide with a child...? Probably not though, I'm assuming only one person at a time for safety reasons.

Yay I was hoping for more updates since we leave Sunday. Thanks for any input you can provide. So are you in a suite or a regular room? I'm a little concerned about the mattress--can we bring a foam topper or anything like that? This is only my second cruise, first on Royal.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Beachiekeen

We stopped in a JR last week to get our 2-for-1 shakes. No cover if you are just coming in for shakes; otherwise, there is a cover charge that covers a soda and most of the menu. They had no malt last week :(

We stopped in a JR last week to get our 2-for-1 shakes. No cover if you are just coming in for shakes; otherwise, there is a cover charge that covers a soda and most of the menu. They had no malt last week :(

Thanks for the heads up! Glad to hear it's still mostly an AYCE venue...because I consider that to be a personal challenge :D Including a soda in the cover charge is new to me. I used to just have water at JR and would then eat my fill of the food and dessert. Personally, I'm not a malt or milkshake fan.

Question on Splashaway Bay...I am reading that adults are not allowed - is that true and what does that mean exactly? Can anyone verify what the age/height restrictions are exactly? I am only asking bc I have a 5 year old whom I could see being timid at first to go play alone initially and if adults are not allowed in the area is there staff patrolling it? Just trying to be prepared for our trip on 3/27?

Also, which itinerary are you on? Trying to find the formal nights and show schedules for the 7 night Western hitting Rotan, Belize and Cozumel...feel free to point me in the right direction if they are posted somewhere on CC

That is the itinerary we are on. Today, day 3 is our second sea day. Last night was formal night and then again Friday night. Last night was a comedian. Tonight is Saturday night fever. Will check the planner for the other night. My current situation is poolside [emoji41]

Question on Splashaway Bay...I am reading that adults are not allowed - is that true and what does that mean exactly? Can anyone verify what the age/height restrictions are exactly? I am only asking bc I have a 5 year old whom I could see being timid at first to go play alone initially and if adults are not allowed in the area is there staff patrolling it? Just trying to be prepared for our trip on 3/27?

There are adults in with the kids. And there are also RC staff patrolling the area. No signs that they cannot be there.

Edited by dodgersmom

Yay I was hoping for more updates since we leave Sunday. Thanks for any input you can provide. So are you in a suite or a regular room? I'm a little concerned about the mattress--can we bring a foam topper or anything like that? This is only my second cruise, first on Royal.

Enjoy your cruise!

We are in balcony 1382. Deck 10. Not our original choice of cabin but a mistake by our TA resulted in a cancelled reservation and a loss of our deck 8 hump balcony. Long story but it's her first mistake in 20+ cruises. So, we are in a balcony much farther aft than I like. Still same category, but it is a bit noisier. Not sure if I am hearing the track, or the basketball courts on 12. Don't think it's the WJ. The mattress situation is disappointing. I used to LOVE the beds and pillows. Not so much now.

Thank you for checking. I'm more concerned about the lower limits...I suspect DD will not be able to go on the slides as she's going to be under 48" tall :( Unless they allow an adult to go down the slide with a child...? Probably not though, I'm assuming only one person at a time for safety reasons.

Definitely will not allow two riders together.

Thanks for the report.

Being able to use Facetime would seem to me that they are getting close to Voom capability. That would be a significant upgrade in the internet.

I was on last weeks sailing and was pleasantly surprised with the internet. Best we have had on any ship. Was able to facetime the whole trip without much of a problem which was nice. The three of us shared one package and never had much problem getting on. There's hope!:D