Cancelled show on the Escape.

And it was canceled on our November cruise due to "illness in the cast". I'm thinking the illness and injuries is a bunch of hooey. Contract dispute perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm thinking the pool from which they pull these performers must be pretty small. We got notice on boarding Escape that For the Record was cancelled for the entire week. Obviously, this was known before we set sail, plenty of time to fly in a replacement cast member, even if they had to join us in St Thomas for just a partial week of shows.

We caught part of a Million Dollar Quartet Q and A in the atrium one day. The guy who played Jerry Lee Lewis was there and he had been performing in the Vegas production. He has broken more than a few pianos. This was the first time he had performed on a cruise ship and his contract was very short, only a few weeks. Lucky to see him as he really stole the show, while the guy who played Elvis was very obviously new to the role.

Really a catch 22, you get some Broadway caliber performers in these shows, but when they are not available or injured, the show does NOT go on.

Thus the need for understudies.

I am not saying an understudy is a bad idea, and NCL, had they wanted to, could have had these all along if they wanted. And still no evidence that they are in the process of doing this or even have it under consideration. At least I have seen no evidence of this. If you have some facts to share, please do.

But, they would need an understudy for every major role. These people would need to be of the talent caliber it would take to perform at the level of a Broadway or national touring company level. And why would any performer of that caliber sign up for months of just a "maybe" chance of performing once or twice when they could be headlining in Vegas, or at least getting some national exposure? Doesn't sound like a good career move to me. Not to mention the added expense NCL would have to keep these just in case performers on the ship and available at all times.

Edited by punkincc

I'm thinking the pool from which they pull these performers must be pretty small. We got notice on boarding Escape that For the Record was cancelled for the entire week. Obviously, this was known before we set sail, plenty of time to fly in a replacement cast member, even if they had to join us in St Thomas for just a partial week of shows.

We caught part of a Million Dollar Quartet Q and A in the atrium one day. The guy who played Jerry Lee Lewis was there and he had been performing in the Vegas production. He has broken more than a few pianos. This was the first time he had performed on a cruise ship and his contract was very short, only a few weeks. Lucky to see him as he really stole the show, while the guy who played Elvis was very obviously new to the role.

Really a catch 22, you get some Broadway caliber performers in these shows, but when they are not available or injured, the show does NOT go on.

He was excellent. We saw him on the inaugural sailing.

I wonder how long they've known about the changes and (as usual) never let anybody know.

It finally comes out after most people are past final payment.

We were on the Getaway last week with another couple and when we got she had a mailing from NCL about the Getaway and said it had different show listed for it than what we saw last week.

While we had a great cruise i am very reluctant to give any more money to NCL the way the current management does things.

Bill

I would LOVE to know that actor's name who played Jerry Lee on our Transatlantic. He was absolutely brilliant. I forgot to ask while on board, and searches I've done have revealed nothing. I'd love to know his resume.

I would LOVE to know that actor's name who played Jerry Lee on our Transatlantic. He was absolutely brilliant. I forgot to ask while on board, and searches I've done have revealed nothing. I'd love to know his resume.

We saw MDQ at Harrah's Las Vegas and I believe the actor who played Jerry Lee Lewis on the Escape was the same actor who played Jerry Lee Lewis at Harrah's Las Vegas.

I am very sad for those that are going on the Escape and will not be able to see Million Dollar Quartet, after 7 cruises, it was by far the show at sea I have ever seen. With that said, I will be back on the Getaway in January 2017 and happy to see that it went somewhere, especially on the ship that I will be on. I really don't understand "why" this happened, but happy that it is still on one of the NCL ships.

We saw MDQ at Harrah's Las Vegas and I believe the actor who played Jerry Lee Lewis on the Escape was the same actor who played Jerry Lee Lewis at Harrah's Las Vegas.

None of the web photos from the Harrah's one is the same actor I saw, but I know they change actors every once in a while These are all the performers that were on my cruise: http://www.theskyescott.com/#!undefined/c14ak

This blows. It will not surprise me at all if that rumor about pulling the brew house from the UBP happens next. I realize other line may be more expensive, but at least you get what you originally paid for. You are not gambling that things will be cut from what you originally purchased. I honestly do understand changes will be made and I am ok with that, but they should also give the customer the option to cancel if the cruise is not exactly what they originally purchased. I will go in 5 weeks and have a great time on a great ship, but I can honestly say if I could cancel with no penalty, I would in a heart beat. Mainly because I have no idea what they will change next.

This blows. It will not surprise me at all if that rumor about pulling the brew house from the UBP happens next.

I don't really understand how that relates to this.

I'm happy I'll get to see the John Hughes show for free now.

Margaritaville was too popular, so they made it a pay venue, and everyone complained. This show was too popular, so they made it a free show, and everyone complains. Haha

Margaritaville was too popular, so they made it a pay venue, and everyone complained. This show was too popular, so they made it a free show, and everyone complains. Haha

I'm on the Feb. 27th sailing and have already paid for Brat Pack so no freebie for me. Would they dare bring back Million Dollar Quartet and make it a pay for show now that Brat Pack is going to be free?

Sure, but what about for the people sailing between March 5 and April 16? They are stuck with some a capella group. Come on. really, You really don't think people have a right to be pissed?

Edited by 2hearted

I'm on the 4/2 cruise and the John Hughes Show isn't free for me and the MDQ isn't showing either. The complaint is these changes are made on short notice and after the final payment date. NCL should announce major changes further out as to not affect customers past final payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the 4/2 cruise and the John Hughes Show isn't free for me and the MDQ isn't showing either. The complaint is these changes are made on short notice and after the final payment date. NCL should announce major changes further out as to not affect customers past final payment.

While I agree in principal, would you have cancelled?

If not then NCL had nothing to lose.

Still poor business, dreadful communication. Again

While I agree in principal, would you have cancelled?

If not then NCL had nothing to lose.

Still poor business, dreadful communication. Again

I wouldn't cancel, however, others may want that option.

I guess what NCL has to lose is a potential repeat customer. This is my first NCL cruise coming over from Royal. However, many CC members believe the cruise lines don't value repeat customers any longer and are only interested in new cruisers. So, I guess, nothing lose.

I'm not a cruise line exec but would think NCL would want to put best foot forward during Escape's inaugural year. However, these changes only affect those who booked on the assumption Margaritaville and MDQ would be a part of their cruise. If Bookings are strong then they only risk upsetting a small portion of customers and the benefit must out weigh the risk.

Edited by Obx_1974

I wouldn't cancel, however, others may want that option.

I guess what NCL has to lose is a potential repeat customer. This is my first NCL cruise coming over from Royal. However, many CC members believe the cruise lines don't value repeat customers any longer and are only interested in new cruisers. So, I guess, nothing lose.

I'm not a cruise line exec but would think NCL would want to put best foot forward during Escape's inaugural year. However, these changes only affect those who booked on the assumption Margaritaville and MDQ would be a part of their cruise. If Bookings are strong then they only risk upsetting a small portion of customers and the benefit must out weigh the risk.

Escape certainly has had plenty of negative reports, many self inflicted,

Not sure NCL can put any foot forward without it not being a misstep. And if they did they won't let you know as it won't be communicated properly. :p

I'm on hold right now with a rep who went to talk to a supervisor.

I'll post what I find out.

Go to "Seatrade Cruise News". According to them, 'Million Dollar Quartet' is moving to Getaway. There are some other show changes that are explained in the article.

Go to "Seatrade Cruise News". According to them, 'Million Dollar Quartet' is moving to Getaway. There are some other show changes that are explained in the article.

Well that was interesting but none of these changes make any sense to me.

Here we have a brand new ship, the first in the Breakaway Plus class, that is still in its inaugural season. Months before the first sailing, Million Dollar Quartet was promoted, advertised and linked to the Escape. Almost every review of MDQ is a raving thumbs up. Everyone loves this show. Why would they take such a popular show away from the ship it was intended for? If Legally Blonde wasn't that popular, they should have found another show to replace it instead of stealing the Escape's entertainment.

Well that was interesting but none of these changes make any sense to me.

Here we have a brand new ship, the first in the Breakaway Plus class, that is still in its inaugural season. Months before the first sailing, Million Dollar Quartet was promoted, advertised and linked to the Escape. Almost every review of MDQ is a raving thumbs up. Everyone loves this show. Why would they take such a popular show away from the ship it was intended for?

Maybe because Escape has 2 overwhelmingly popular shows (MDQ and John Hughes), and Getaway has none and needs one? (That's an honest question. I don't know if that's the reasoning or not.)

The bummer part is for those of us sailing in March who 1) still have to pay to see For the Record and 2) miss out on MDQ.

The crazy part is I still haven't been notified and it's still listed on my vacation summary page.

Edited by ljrfrm

The bummer part is for those of us sailing in March who 1) still have to pay to see For the Record and 2) miss out on MDQ.

The crazy part is I still haven't been notified and it's still listed on my vacation summary page.

MDQ was by far my favorite show I've ever seen at sea, and one I'd pay to see on land (and I might next month!), so I feel your pain. For what it's worth, we didn't bother to see For The Record on our Escape sailing, and didn't plan to see it on our next booked trip, but we probably will now that it's free. Sounds like the new show in the Supper Club should be ready by the time we sail (late May), so hopefully it will be something interesting. I've gotten lucky with my timing. I realize many others didn't. It wasn't that long ago that people went through this with the Epic entertainment changes.