Cancelled show on the Escape.

We are also past final payment. I am so annoyed at this last change that I am seriously considering cancelling and letting them have the deposit. There is no guarantee that they won't make other changes before we sail!

We do have another cruise booked over New Years that will be cancelled after this fiasco not that they will care since they will find other people to pull the bait and switch routine on.

MDQ was by far my favorite show I've ever seen at sea, and one I'd pay to see on land (and I might next month!), so I feel your pain. For what it's worth, we didn't bother to see For The Record on our Escape sailing, and didn't plan to see it on our next booked trip, but we probably will now that it's free. Sounds like the new show in the Supper Club should be ready by the time we sail (late May), so hopefully it will be something interesting. I've gotten lucky with my timing. I realize many others didn't. It wasn't that long ago that people went through this with the Epic entertainment changes.

We will definitely see For the Record. I have no interest in After Midnight but want to at least see one show during the week. I'll probably go check out the acapella show too. Why not. I've actually read some of their reviews which are good. I definitely will find a way to see MDQ, somewhere, someday.

I'm still waiting for the MDQ news to be somehow passed on to us March sailings. It's still bookable on MyNCL - which is a bit annoying.

I'm on the 4/9 Breakaway cruise. What happens to my for the record reservation? The email i received didn't indicate it was cancelled, just some scheduling changes. So stupidly i went back in and booked it again for another date and time, assuming my first reservation was cancelled and refunded. That was yesterday, today when i log in there are no entertainment options to choose from and I've paid twice for a dinner show that doesnt exist. They wouldnt just rebook me into whatever new dinner show they are throwing together would they? I have had no communications about any type of refund.

I am not saying an understudy is a bad idea, and NCL, had they wanted to, could have had these all along if they wanted. And still no evidence that they are in the process of doing this or even have it under consideration. At least I have seen no evidence of this. If you have some facts to share, please do..

Can't speak to any of the current shows. Epic always sailed with 4 Blue Men who rotated roles. So there is precedence for paying to have people who can step in.

Understudies do not need to be separate entertainers either. They can be someone in a lesser role that steps up and a chorus member steps up into their role, etc.

Now, for a very specialized show like MDQ that may be harder to do without a lot more practice and a very qualified understudy, but for a show like For the Record where a performer is not playing a specific role, you really just need a singing voice and time to shadow.

Understudies are definitely doable but not easy. Instead, I might have a standby alternative act that can double as main stage performer and side venue performer. Knight Magic on Disney comes to mind as an example.

So, 3/5 appears to be the end of the first contracts. Brenda Braxton Cabertt show ends on that day too.

We are sailing on the 2/27 and the Million Dollar Q show must be packing up their equipment our week because they are no longer playing for our cruise....NCL cancelled our reservations and when I called the NCL Haven Concierge she was very evasive...saying she was unsure if there would be any MDQ shows for our entire cruise.

We are sailing on the 2/27 and the Million Dollar Q show must be packing up their equipment our week because they are no longer playing for our cruise....NCL cancelled our reservations and when I called the NCL Haven Concierge she was very evasive...saying she was unsure if there would be any MDQ shows for our entire cruise.

The original MDQ actors' contracts expire on 2/27.

Just back off the Escape last week. Our 10th cruise with NCL. We booked our shows about 3 months out. First show was after midnight, pretty good show overall. 2nd show was MDQ, it was so good my wife wanted to see it again.

Now comes the interesting part: Show #3 Brat pack dinner and show. We had an 8:30 reservation. We walk in about 8:20. I thought something was strange because there were no NCL people to check you in. Walked right in and looked for a seat. A women asks me if she could help me. I told her I had a reservation and just looking to find a seat. She informed me the show was a private party only. (some bank) I went back out and finally found a NCL person and asked what was happening. She confirmed that the show was now private and I could go else where to eat. Well isn't that just wonderful... She suggested the main dining room. I informed her I had paid for the 7 day specialty dining package and was not going to the MDR.

OK... Off to guest services. First question. Why were we not notified about the cancellation? Apparently they sent it to my wife's E-mail. Ok, Why not mine? Every bit of correspondence has been thru mine. Why not leave a message on my room phone..Trying not to ruin the night I explain it is 8:30 and where do I go to eat now every thing is packed. Fast forward I finally tell them I'm going to the Italian Restaurant. Please inform them I will be there in 10 minutes. We were seated in about 20 minutes and had a great meal.

When we booked this cruise, all of the shows were available. This is the most expensive week of the year due to school vacations. I understand this but then cancel a show to entertain a private party is B.S. I was talking to another person that had the same thing happen at The Italian restaurant. Had a reservation went on time to be told it was now closed to a private party. They ended up calling security to get him out of there.

This tells me show cancellations may be a little disingenuous. The show is still going on but for a private function. Little things like this add up and NCL is getting very close to pushing me elsewhere.

I only heard there "rumors" from my roll call and now I read this thread. I went online to see what night we had booked the Million Dollar Quartet and it is no longer on our scheduled events. I never got this email. They should have at the very least sent one to me. Were on the phone with Norwegian right now. They told me we still had the show but it is not showing on our itinerary. It says that the show stops on our sailing. Looks like we out for the show as well. The gal on the phone was kind of rude to me as if I didn't know how to look at my planned events. She insisted that we still had the show I know how much they all really hate cruise critic but if it wasn't for cruise critic I would have been taken by surprise on this. Ok, back to reality for 12 more days.....

David

I only heard there "rumors" from my roll call and now I read this thread. I went online to see what night we had booked the Million Dollar Quartet and it is no longer on our scheduled events. I never got this email. They should have at the very least sent one to me. Were on the phone with Norwegian right now. They told me we still had the show but it is not showing on our itinerary. It says that the show stops on our sailing. Looks like we out for the show as well. The gal on the phone was kind of rude to me as if I didn't know how to look at my planned events. She insisted that we still had the show I know how much they all really hate cruise critic but if it wasn't for cruise critic I would have been taken by surprise on this. Ok, back to reality for 12 more days.....

David

It is still showing on ours. I know it won't be there, but we still have it reserved.

It is still showing on ours. I know it won't be there, but we still have it reserved.

The show is officially gone as of March 5th. Spent a bunch of time on the phone with Norwegian. They don't seem to care. The show we paid for is going to be offered for free starting in April (no compensation for us) and we still have no idea if we will be booked automatically for the "replacement" show. Very frustrating!!

The show is officially gone as of March 5th. Spent a bunch of time on the phone with Norwegian. They don't seem to care. The show we paid for is going to be offered for free starting in April (no compensation for us) and we still have no idea if we will be booked automatically for the "replacement" show. Very frustrating!!

I am sure you will be refunded the money

I am sure you will be refunded the money

No, they won't refund the money. It's a dinner show and they are keeping it that way until April. That's fine but I think they could have made a better decision and taken the "loss" for the five weeks that there will be no Broadway show. They will not go under by doing this. :)

Still looking forward to our cruise either way.

No, they won't refund the money. It's a dinner show and they are keeping it that way until April. That's fine but I think they could have made a better decision and taken the "loss" for the five weeks that there will be no Broadway show. They will not go under by doing this. :)

Still looking forward to our cruise either way.

Maybe I am misunderstanding here, so please clarify for me.

They are not giving you a refund because they are still giving you a dinner show with an unnamed performance? :confused: They won't allow you to cancel the unnamed show for a refund?

I'm leaving on February 27th and previously received an email that there would be no Million Dollar Quartet. Nevertheless, I have been going on to my NCL booking everyday and guess what, as of yesterday MDQ was back and so I re-booked it.

I checked again 5 minutes ago and it still shows confirmed. On the entertainment section on my page they do say that MDQ will no longer be showing after March 5th.

I'm sad for the people on the Escape that will miss this show but grateful that I will get to see it (although I'm not holding my breath lol)

Here is the address to NCL and a copy of my letter I sent them. I doubt it will do any good as they have shown they care little for customer opinion, but maybe if enough people complained.

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

To Whom It May Concern:

After several successful and enjoyable cruises with Carnival Cruise Line, my wife and I decided to try something new. After doing some research on cruise lines and ships we thought it would be fun to try a new ship, like the NCL Escape. Some of the major things that drew us to the ship were the shows, mainly, Million Dollar Quartet and the dining, in particular, the complimentary dining at Margaritaville. So us, along with a group of friends agreed to book the NCL Escape.

It goes without saying that we have been greatly disappointed with the changes and how quickly they seem to have occurred. A ship that is still in its inaugural season has made two major changes after advertising them so heavily as features on the ship. It causes us great doubt in the credibility and reliability of NCL. At this point we are questioning our decision to keep our current reservation with NCL. How can we trust that there will not be more changes that make it more expensive with dining options or changes to shows? With all of our cruises with Carnival, the only changes they made prior to our cruises were improvements to make the ship or shows more enjoyable.

Whether we go on this cruise with NCL is still being debated, but I do know that we will not be booking with NCL in the future. You have shown yourself to care little for your customers, lacking in trust and credibility, poor decision makers, and poor in communication. I sincerely hope you change your business practices to regain trust among your customer base.

Sincerely,

Hi all,

This article appeared in one of my trade magazines.

Norwegian shakes up cruise production shows

By Tom Stieghorst / February 18, 2016

Norwegian Cruise Line said it will switch some shows between the Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway, resulting in some cruises not having the shows that guests may have expected.

"Million Dollar Quartet," a show about a 1950s recording session with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley, will move from the Norwegian Escape as of the March 5 sailing and will reopen on the Norwegian Getaway on May 15.

"Million Dollar Quarter" is being moved to accommodate “For the Record,” a show about John Hughes movie characters that will move from the Escape Supper Club to the larger main theater on April 16. A new dinner and live entertainment experience will be created for the Supper Club, Norwegian said.

To accommodate "Million Dollar Quartet" on the Getaway, the current main theater production, "Legally Blonde," will close April 30. It has been on the Getaway since the ship’s debut in 2014. The Getaway Theater will feature "Vocal Overdrive", a contemporary acapella group, from May 1 until May 15, when "Million Dollar Quartet" opens.

"Vocal Overdrive" will also be presented in the Escape Theater from March 5 until April 16, when "For the Record" begins.

The Broadway show "After Midnight" on the Norwegian Escape and the "Burn the Floor" show on Norwegian Getaway will continue unchanged.

Norwegian Cruise Line apologized in a note sent to travel agents that some guests may have been notified of the switch before agents were informed.

A couple of quick comments from our trip last week on the Escape 2/13/16. We did get to see all the shows and they were quite good. During the Behind the Scenes tour, the stage manager said that they were on their 4th "Jerry Lee Lewis" to date. Finally, note that the Brat Pack John Hughes show is absolutely PG-16. It deals with ALL aspects of teenage growing pains, including what boys do in the shower. It was a good show...but be aware.

That's it and enjoy your cruise!

Well, we finally got the email telling us that our March 19th sailing would not have Million Dollar Quartet. Why this all came out earlier and they are just alerting those of us sailing in March is beyond me. As of this morning, MDQ was even still available to reserve.

The email simply said that the NCL Escape is now featuring Vocal Over Drive and Million Dollar Quartet would no longer be offered. Reservations for new entertainment can be made starting March 1st.

Too bad - this was the one show I was looking forward to. I won't let it rain on my parade though!