Bought an upgraded cabin while checking in?

SheriffJoe

Interesting thread - but I don't get all the references to post 9/11. What could that possibly have to do with upgrading from one cabin to another? :confused:

There was a downturn in travel then due to fear, hence more empty cabins, hence more opportunity to upgrade and better prices.

Things change, so what applies at one time doesn't apply all the time.

Interesting topic, and coincidentally, my friend at work got back from her Disney cruise this week and mentioned that she and her daughter inquired about upgrading at the purser's desk and they were able to do it. They upgraded from a regular balcony suite to some kind of concierge suite (not too familiar with Disney accommodations) but she mentioned that they had a butler and that the upgrade fee was a mere $250 per person for a 7-day cruise.:eek: She was stoked about it and telling all of us at work. Only problem is , she is so spoiled now she feels she almost did herself a disservice :D

So, it seems as if upgrades onboard are more common than some have personal knowledge of.

:rolleyes:

I don't think that's the reason, what did change for cruising post 9/11 was no more last minute cruise buys, pre 9/11 you could walk up pretty much at the last minute before sailing and buy a cabin, post 9//11 rules now require cruise lines to submit pax manifest like 48 or 72 hours prior to sailing (can't recall the exact time) so no more last minute bookings....BUT...as I posted earlier that has NOTHING to do with upgrading your already booked cabin, the federal government ALREADY knows you are on the ship and which cabin you sleep in is of no importance to them...that was just another post with misinformation from someone that just posts to be posting... :rolleyes:

Actually, that is the reason at least for some - see the statement here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49121159&postcount=29

I agree that 9/11 would not have an impact on upgrades directly. But it did have an impact on bookings, which is a more valid reason. While an empty cabin is still an empty cabin, if the cruise line can raise some extra hundred dollars from getting a booked passenger to upgrade when sailing why wouldn't they?

Now that sailings are fuller, there's both less need and opportunity to do upgrades, and doing so at a big discount damages their margins and also encourages people to not book a higher cabin, hoping for a cheaper deal later.

We did it in Singapore on a Cunard World Voyage two years ago. Went to Reception on boarding and asked. They had to speak to Southampton after sailing and contacted us to say yes, we could upgrade to Queen's Grill - we were already in QG for the next leg from Dubai to Southampton. Cost was exactly what it would have been had we booked before boarding.

Were we glad we did it? Yes!

There was a downturn in travel then due to fear, hence more empty cabins, hence more opportunity to upgrade and better prices.

Things change, so what applies at one time doesn't apply all the time.

Absolutely....people were cancelling flights, vacations, cruises...People drove to destinations for their vacations...We actually lost a reservation at a local beach because someone knew someone and that someone was allowed to takeover our reservation. We were told the owner decided to use the week...we went to FL and went on cruises!

I agree that post 9/11 the rules changed regarding last minute sailing... but...it took a little time to get those rulings in place. Meanwhile, the cruiselines were getting a few extra dollars doing those pier upgrades. Thing all eventually settled down and now ships sail full.

Edited by JMG

OP sorry, never been lucky enough to score an upgrade at check-in but after reading the 'relevant' responses, I realize it's worth a try. Too bad I blindly listened to all the CC naysayers all these years.:D

And if I could have a pound/dollar for the amount of pax I've heard ask over the years about upgrades at the pier/GS and have been told to read the 'sign', I'd be able to pay for my next cruise :D.

You may be lucky and score, just like playing the lottery ;). According to many posts on CC, you're better booking a GTY as a new cruiser to obtain those upgrades - perhaps a change of line is the way to go ;).

Saying that, we were offered an alternative cabin last year when we enquired upon boarding if there were any available cabins closer together than the ones we had been allocated. GS came through and offered us a higher graded balcony cabin at no extra charge (unsure if this qualifies in the OP's criteria for upgrades?). We were on a very disrupted cruise due to the itinerary and sail time being changed at the very last moment. Consequently, many pax didn't make the scheduled sail time - resulted in quite a few empty cabins, but we still had to wait until we had actually sailed, late into the evening, before GS could confirm availability (no unpacking of luggage etc.) ;).

Good thread ...... minus the snark, which I always find entertaining.

Yes, we've upgraded but when this happened, we didn't ask. Just happened (Veranda to Suite - no charge and my bet is our cabin was double booked).

When we have asked GR or the Port Coordinator during check in ...... nothing! As well, this Veranda to Suite upgrade occurred very early in our 15 year history of cruising with Celebrity (our 35th will be in two weeks aboard Constellation).

The best explanation for the typical "nothing available" response you'll get from GR has already been posted: "all the cabins are booked." The reason for that is the economy. More people are traveling because it is generally good and people have disposable income.

Another important factor is that The Hotel Manager will hold cabins to assuage disgruntled guests. I have no idea how many or what Cabin Class but there are a few of these.

We've never been disgruntled but we cruised with a couple booked in Aqua Class in January aboard Millennium who were, justifiably so, and were moved to a Sky Suite.

I've dealt with the Port Coordinator once. This is the only place during check in that you might have a shot for an upgrade so, this is where you inquire about one. Just ask a Celebrity Staff member (not a port employee) present in the check in area where the Port Coordinator is, they'll point him out to you.

In our case of dealing with the Port Coordinator, we were changing cabins on a B2B, had already asked GR for an upgrade on our second leg of our B2B during the first leg of it. As we were processed off the first leg in Singapore, we were told to check with the Port Coordinator when re-boarding to get our Key Card for the second leg. Most of the time when you debark on a B2B, when you process off the first leg of a B2B, there will be a separate hotel staff member who will give your new key card for the second leg.

So, we're all excited, where going to get an upgrade. It's goanna be a suite!!! After a great day in Singapore, we return to the port, locate the Port Coordinator, big smiles ....... nothing. Same cabin class. We did ask once more with GR once aboard, told we'd get a call after we sailed, we did ....."nothing available."

Bottom line, it's a roll of the dice. It does happen but I think it's happening less as Celebrity learns how to optimize load on each ship using sophisticated dynamic pricing algorithms in wide use today across the travel industry.

"The best explanation for the typical "nothing available" response you'll get from GR has already been posted: "all the cabins are booked." The reason for that is the economy. More people are traveling because it is generally good and people have disposable income."

Actually now that Celebrity announced their pre cruise upgrade plan - I think the "nothing available" will be because in the weeks prior to the cruise - they start emailing or calling to offer paid upgrades. Last cruise we were called about 2.5 weeks prior to the cruise with an offer to move from a concierge to an Aqua cabin.

I did inquire about any type of suite but those were gone and we declined this offer. I think that the upgrades start pre cruise and trickle down through out the various cabin levels. Leaving little to none for at pier upgrades. Of COURSE this is MHO and I'm prepared for the "sheriff" to ream me out for posting it. :p

Edited by Jane2357

There is that oft ignored niggling rule about staying on topic though...

And caps can also be used for emphasis which is exactly what was done in the post you quoted.

Look at me, just got sucked into the whole off-topic slant this thread took.:D

OP sorry, never been lucky enough to score an upgrade at check-in but after reading the 'relevant' responses, I realize it's worth a try. Too bad I blindly listened to all the CC naysayers all these years.:D

LOL seems I have led you to the light! :D

Interesting thread and I'm learning a bit, but I do have a question. What does FTFQ mean? Sorry, I don't know what it means and a Google search didn't help. Thanks!

Opps sorry..I didn't notice the typo there....its RTFQ ......Read The Freaking Question though freaking wasn't the original word when an instructor told me that! :eek:

"The best explanation for the typical "nothing available" response you'll get from GR has already been posted: "all the cabins are booked." The reason for that is the economy. More people are traveling because it is generally good and people have disposable income."

Actually now that Celebrity announced their pre cruise upgrade plan - I think the "nothing available" will be because in the weeks prior to the cruise - they start emailing or calling to offer paid upgrades. Last cruise we were called about 2.5 weeks prior to the cruise with an offer to move from a concierge to an Aqua cabin.

I did inquire about any type of suite but those were gone and we declined this offer. I think that the upgrades start pre cruise and trickle down through out the various cabin levels. Leaving little to none for at pier upgrades. Of COURSE this is MHO and I'm prepared for the "sheriff" to ream me out for posting it. :p

I like your style! :p And STOP SHOUTING you will annoy Suzy but if you need some internet training I'm sure she will help you out!

Edited by SheriffJoe

Absolutely....people were cancelling flights, vacations, cruises...People drove to destinations for their vacations...We actually lost a reservation at a local beach because someone knew someone and that someone was allowed to takeover our reservation. We were told the owner decided to use the week...we went to FL and went on cruises!

I agree that post 9/11 the rules changed regarding last minute sailing... but...it took a little time to get those rulings in place. Meanwhile, the cruiselines were getting a few extra dollars doing those pier upgrades. Thing all eventually settled down and now ships sail full.

The "last minute booking" procedures did change, right after 9/11. We had a Hawaii cruise booked, out of Honolulu on Mercury. Celebrity offered us a full refund if we wanted to cancel. We decided not to. Our flight to Honolulu was only 1/3 full, and the ship was only 1/2 full.

Before Sheriff Joe berates me for not answering his question, I wanted to add further, that the cruiselines and Port Authorities policies had changed, and maybe once in awhile someone can upgrade at the pier or onboard. No one has a clear cut answer.

Not too long ago we were offered an upgrade at the pier--the fee wasn't bad but we were traveling with people in a cabin nearby so passed on it.

It does still happen. If they offer it to us on this upcoming trip, we may do it since we aren't traveling with a group

Edited by Fogfog

Not too long ago we were offered an upgrade at the pier--the fee wasn't bad but we were traveling with people in a cabin nearby so passed on it.

It does still happen. If they offer it to us on this upcoming trip, we may do it since we aren't traveling with a group

Thanks Fog!

Another important factor is that The Hotel Manager will hold cabins to assuage disgruntled guests. I have no idea how many or what Cabin Class but there are a few of these.

We've never been disgruntled but we cruised with a couple booked in Aqua Class in January aboard Millennium who were, justifiably so, and were moved to a Sky Suite.

What was the justifiable reason?