Seeking info Nov 1985 Oriana Syd Pacific Syd

sened

Hi PerfectlyPerth, Sorry to bother you, but I think these pamphlets may contain the info I am looking for also. Could I please ask if you could re post them as the links don't seem to be working.

Kind regards

Rodney

Hope these can assist.

Oriana%20brochures_zpswagkorlp.jpg

Oriana%20brochures_0001_zpsg3j661cn.jpg

Oriana%20brochures_0002_zpsy9a6kuu9.jpg

It's all good PerfectlyPerth, sorry to bother you. I tried a different browser and they opened fine.

Thanks for your help, it seems you help a lot of cruisers out here. Good on you.

Best regards

Rodney

• 4 years later...

Hello Perfectly Perth

Does your catalogue have earlier cruises for 1985 listed? I did a cruise on Oriana, and I know the ports but can’t remember the exact dates. I have a postcode from the cruise that was written on 20 May 1985 and sent from Noumea. Thanks. 

On 4/26/2018 at 3:39 PM, Annabelle66 said:
PerfectlyPerth said:
Hope these can assist.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/kj68/Oriana/Oriana%20brochures_zpswagkorlp.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/kj68/Oriana/Oriana%20brochures_0001_zpsg3j661cn.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/kj68/Oriana/Oriana%20brochures_0002_zpsy9a6kuu9.jpg Hello i too was needing to find dates from previous cruises but im unable to see these photos are you able to post them again? Or email them to me please? Many thanks Annabelle

I can’t help with information unfortunately, but I did think some of the itineraries were extremely interesting. Anyone know where Palm Tree Island is ?

45 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Can’t be that one because it was in one of the itineraries!

Can't help you there Cheryle....there was a Palm Tree Island resort listed which is/was on an island in Tonga, but doesn't look like the location on those maps.

They have changed the names from the traditional names of the islands to make them more appealing.

Back in the early 80's on my first Fairstar cruise we visited Noumea, Vila, Suva, Lautoka, Mystery Isle, Isle of Pines and Dravuni Isle over 40 yrs ago OMG!

I remember being in Primary school and a friends Nana went on a cruise that visited Pago Pago, Honiara, Rabaul etc, so exotic back then we thought they were rich!! They bought her back grass skirts and hats. I have now been to all those places......but hey, another kid in our class used to go to the Entrance for Xmas holidays and we thought that was so far away, who would drive from Quakers Hill to there haha!!

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Can't help you there Cheryle....there was a Palm Tree Island resort listed which is/was on an island in Tonga, but doesn't look like the location on those maps.

They have changed the names from the traditional names of the islands to make them more appealing.

Back in the early 80's on my first Fairstar cruise we visited Noumea, Vila, Suva, Lautoka, Mystery Isle, Isle of Pines and Dravuni Isle over 40 yrs ago OMG!

I remember being in Primary school and a friends Nana went on a cruise that visited Pago Pago, Honiara, Rabaul etc, so exotic back then we thought they were rich!! They bought her back grass skirts and hats. I have now been to all those places......but hey, another kid in our class used to go to the Entrance for Xmas holidays and we thought that was so far away, who would drive from Quakers Hill to there haha!!

Same here Chez. Our first cruise in the early 70’s was  with my family. We went to Pago Pago, Tonga, Fiji, Noumea, Auckland  on Orsova. Everyone thought we were the rich people. It was a 4 berth cabin, no bathroom,and all  I saw was water from the port hole and my parents worked extra jobs to pay for it. We didn’t need a passport either. I did think some of these itineraries were interesting though. Good to think back!

9 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Same here Chez. Our first cruise in the early 70’s was  with my family. We went to Pago Pago, Tonga, Fiji, Noumea, Auckland  on Orsova. Everyone thought we were the rich people. It was a 4 berth cabin, no bathroom,and all  I saw was water from the port hole and my parents worked extra jobs to pay for it. We didn’t need a passport either. I did think some of these itineraries were interesting though. Good to think back!

Ah the good ol days, back in the '80s it was  P&O's Oriana and Sitmar's Fairstar ( until it became P&O) sailing from Sydney, you were either one or the other. When I was a young apprentice hairdresser, us girls would argue which one was better. Of cause Fairstar was the Fun Ship, where you could drink your duty free on the first night, never see your cabin, line up in the corridors for a shower in your satin happycoat haha!, sleep on the deck chairs all night.......and everyone stayed up all night on the last night to sail in to Sydney harbour with pillows and blankets from you cabin.

Smoking everywhere, never enough seats so we sat on the floor, no one complained though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

We had rellos that did a Pacific cruise on Canberra in 1975. They bought us back some souvenirs, and I scored a sailor hat and a wooden sword with Suva engraved on it. I thought they were weird, and much preferred the caravanning stuff my grandparents collected in their travels. I guess I had no connection at the time .... but I still have the sword. I didn't hang on to much stuff from way back then.

I did note that prices for insides haven't changed much in nearly 40 years. All overseas travel was aspirational stuff way back then.

PS: My early easter holidays rotated between Sand Bar and Long Jetty.

Edited by arxcards
  • Haha 1

Yes, looking at those prices Geoff, I remember a figure of about $1600 for my 15 night cruise in a 6 berth with out shower/toilet!........saved hard for that on apprentice wages of $76 per week while still paying off my 1974 Datsun 180B, my Waterbed, paying Mum and dad board and even joined my own health fund.

Times have changed, my grandkids think everything just goes on the Credit card.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

Ah the good ol days, back in the '80s it was  P&O's Oriana and Sitmar's Fairstar ( until it became P&O) sailing from Sydney, you were either one or the other. When I was a young apprentice hairdresser, us girls would argue which one was better. Of cause Fairstar was the Fun Ship, where you could drink your duty free on the first night, never see your cabin, line up in the corridors for a shower in your satin happycoat haha!, sleep on the deck chairs all night.......and everyone stayed up all night on the last night to sail in to Sydney harbour with pillows and blankets from you cabin.

Smoking everywhere, never enough seats so we sat on the floor, no one complained though!

Same for us Chez. Can’t stay up past 10pm anymore.! I cannot believe that it was over 50 years ago for me!

15 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Yes, looking at those prices Geoff, I remember a figure of about $1600 for my 15 night cruise in a 6 berth with out shower/toilet!........saved hard for that on apprentice wages of $76 per week while still paying off my 1974 Datsun 180B, my Waterbed, paying Mum and dad board and even joined my own health fund.

Times have changed, my grandkids think everything just goes on the Credit card.

I had that car too! Our first cruise as a family (now) was on a Russian ship and I think it cost Ralph and I nearly $4,000 in 1989 and son was included free. Son had  to sleep on the sofa and fell out of bed every night and ended on the floor.Now we require so much more and prices seem to be similar on some cruises. Was it the good old days.?  To sure🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:24 AM, TaniaN said:

Hello Perfectly Perth

Does your catalogue have earlier cruises for 1985 listed? I did a cruise on Oriana, and I know the ports but can’t remember the exact dates. I have a postcode from the cruise that was written on 20 May 1985 and sent from Noumea. Thanks. 

I think this is what you are looking for, we were also on board 😃

FFC20B3A-9C8E-4652-AE3B-711B08B71A75.jpeg

9B4B7BE5-8CA6-4BAB-970E-0E0B5FAF1F0B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 2:24 AM, TaniaN said:

Hello Perfectly Perth

Hi Tania

i will dig it out and have a look for you. 

50 minutes ago, TaniaN said:

Wow, that’s amazing that you were on that cruise too. Thanks for the photos. 

Hi Tania. 
Does that photo give you the info you need - as I moved homes a while ago and still have so many unpacked boxes. I think all my Oriana stuff is still packed somewhere as it wasn't in the first three places I looked lol !!