"Free airfare" offer

nancyevans

Hi Nancy,

I asked what the credit would be if we made our own arrangements:).

From what I've read elsewhere a very important question is what you need to do to assure a good itinerary. I have seen quite a few stories about inconvenient departure times, multiple stops, long layovers, etc. I don't know about Scenic but some cruise lines charge extra if you want a guaranteed good itinerary.

If you are a miles junky you might want to ask if you can get frequent flyer miles on the flights arranged by the cruise line.

Since we don't live in a gateway city every time I've done the math it makes more sense for us to make our own arrangements and take the air fare credit.

And if the credit they offer seems really low, that's probably a sign that the air tickets would be "consolidator fares" that leave you in the lurch when problems arise. See the Cruise Air forum for really expert advice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Buying your own air or not depends a lot on where you live and what your nearest international airport is. As for a credit for booking your own air, I think most companies publish two prices one including air and one not including air. You may find that you can save money booking your own air (or not) but I don't think you'll get a credit off your trip cost if you do....but definitely ask.

Another important thing to ask is about transfers to and from the airport to the ship or hotel. If you buy your own air, they are usually not included, which means you're on your own to get from the airport to the ship. Depending on the concierge he/she may or may not confirm and check you in for your return trip home. I'm not familiar with Viking, but Vantage will allow you to purchase transfers if you do your own air and they generally cost $50 to $100 (round trip) depending on where you're going. If you're used to traveling in Europe and feel comfortable using local transportation that's fine, but if this is your first trip or if you don't want to drag your luggage to the train, tube, bus, etc. you might want to consider buying transfers.

I did not see this was Viking and reading posts on other threads I don't believe it is. But different companies have different policies so it would be helpful to know WHICH Cruiseline they are discussing.

Some of the Free Air promos are VERY restrictive !

Thanks, Joe. That's the kind of info I need! We're looking to book the 8 day Holland cruise in May 2017.

How are your plans coming?

We're actually doing a little pivot. We are looking at an Alaska cruise on Regent. We've never done an ocean cruise or been to Alaska. Mona doesn't want to cruise on a big ship, but we want to see if the smaller Regent ships would work for us. Of course after last August we have decided that all inclusive is the way to go and Regent seems to be almost as inclusive as Scenic. If we like the Regent ship then we can add that to the mix for future planning. If not we can stick with river cruising, which will not be any hardship.

I did not see this was Viking and reading posts on other threads I don't believe it is. But different companies have different policies so it would be helpful to know WHICH Cruiseline they are discussing.

Scenic has a promotion going. They haven't reduced their fares but they have a "Fly Free" promotion on many itineraries. If you choose not to avail yourself of the promotion they offer a credit.

We don't live near a gateway airport so air fare will never be free for us. I'm too controlling to let anyone else choose my itinerary so I default to the credit.

I've been researching an Alaska cruise on Regent, which includes "free air". It turns out to be cheaper for me take the credit and make my own arrangements.

Leet's not mix apples and oranges here.

First, both Regent and Oceania (same ownership) traditionally offer free air on all of their cruises. The free air is for flying in on the day of embarkment and out on the final day. If one deviates from that schedule they are charged a "deviation fee", typically $175. If they are flying in and out of named non gateway cities an additional fee of ~ $199 is charged. The cruiser has the option of taking the air credit and arranging their own transportation, or the Cruise Line deal and the other fees and make their deal. If one flies in an out on the given days of the cruise with Regent or Oceania, they typically get fairly decent air arrangements, if they book early and set the deal up with the cruise line. If one waits until near the cruise date, its catch as catch can because seats have disappeared. Seattle is a major airline hub, so one should be able to get reasonable connection going in and out. I will caution about Seattle. If you book late and can only get an early morning flight out, be sure to have your transportation to the airport pre arranged! If several cruise ships are in the harbor disembarking a significant taxi shortage can exists. I have seen people on multiple days miss their planes, because once leaving the ship, they can't find an available taxi to get them to the airport!!!

Viking is currently offering up to air on some of its cruises, today it's Russia. One can accept the free air, but they are not offering any credit for not accepting their air. It is only a marketing ploy to fill the ship. As above, the offer is only for those flying in and out on the cruise start and finish date and from their gateway cities. Viking Air has a very mixed history on customer satisfication, so with accepting free, one takes their chances. ;)

Now that you mention it, I don't know why I thought OP was on Viking...but you are right about restrictions....nothing is really "free" in travel! :D

Who is offering the FREE air?? What I mean is that different cruise lines have different reputations as to what you can expect.

Just for information because this appears to be for Australian/New Zealand customers but Scenic are offering free business class airfares on selected cruises and dates in 2017. Perhaps they intend to do something similar for Nth American customers as well?

We've cruised with Regent and they are all inclusive with premium liquor, trsnsfers, tours and free air (or a credit). Emerald River cruises (a new subsidarary of Scenic) is offering free air on certain cruises. We actually got good flights, were able to reserve seats and then decided to pay an uncharge directly with the airline to fly premium economy.

We did not get free airfare, but a promo of $495 rt with Emerald for this year. We were booked on the Emerald Belle, which caught fire and had all it's cruises for 2016 cancelled. We normally book our own airfare, but this was a great deal and not restrictive at all in choices. I was very happy that Emerald booked our airfare, because of the cancellation we did not have to worry about change fees, dealing with trip insurance, etc.

My Scenic river cruise included "free air," and I couldn't be more pleased with the flights. I was concerned that they would put us on double connections , but they used single connections in both directions. We deviated to fly in a week early so we could tour on our own, so had to pay a little extra, but that is fully expected.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

• 2 weeks later...

We did go ahead and book another Scenic cruise. Since we are not near a gateway city we decided to ask for a discount for not taking the free airfare offer.

The discount was $1,000, plus another $200 returning client discount, plus another $200 referral credit since friends are going on the same cruise.

I'm very pleased with the fare we got for our 7 night/8 day Holland Sights and Belgian Delights cruise.

Thanks for the recommendation to ask for a discount if not taking the free airfare offer.

• 5 weeks later...
My Scenic river cruise included "free air," and I couldn't be more pleased with the flights. I was concerned that they would put us on double connections , but they used single connections in both directions. We deviated to fly in a week early so we could tour on our own, so had to pay a little extra, but that is fully expected.

I just booked a Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest cruise and got free air and the rep. from Scenic told my travel agent they dont like to have their passengers stressed out when they arrive at their destination so do the best they can not to have them on 3 different flights, like they do with air miles.

Marlster

We do prefer to be in control of our flights and seating and it is very rare that we do not extend our stay in Europe when on a river cruise.

For our Scenic cruise next month, I was able to book business class at an excellent rate, about half of what Scenic quoted. There was no air promo and I am comparing apples to apples. We booked business at a small premium over PE on this route, a real surprise!

It is nice that Scenic offers the air credit on those cruises where they are offering free air, and allowing the option of not using their flights but still getting some value.

For our AMA cruise this fall, I booked a great fare in business class as well, that was considerably less than AMA offered. AMA had great fares in Premium but in business, we were better off on our own.

Edited by caviargal