Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Yum. The Caesar salad looks a little over-dressed, but then I complain about that with virtually every salad. As Winston Churchill said about vermouth in his martini: enjoy the gin [salad] while glancing at the vermouth [salad dressing] from across the room.

I received a mini-brochure from my travel agent, offering a deal on Celebrity: bev package, OBC or gratuities . . . It's like she knew I was reading along and becoming intrigued by what's on offer over at X! So, yet more thanks from me for this comprehensive and thought-provoking comparison.

Yum. The Caesar salad looks a little over-dressed, but then I complain about that with virtually every salad. As Winston Churchill said about vermouth in his martini: enjoy the gin [salad] while glancing at the vermouth [salad dressing] from across the room.

I received a mini-brochure from my travel agent, offering a deal on Celebrity: bev package, OBC or gratuities . . . It's like she knew I was reading along and becoming intrigued by what's on offer over at X! So, yet more thanks from me for this comprehensive and thought-provoking comparison.

Annie, glad to see you are still reading along!

Carol likes minimal dressing on her salad too. I usually ask for the bottle and chug it down.

Norris

Hi Norris,

Loved your Silhouette review on the X board.Can't wait to board her on 3/13.

I will be moving up a tier in elite after this sailing and have been loyal to X .

That being said,your objective comparison has me considering Princess for a future sailing.

Keep up the great work!

I just wish I could figure out how to post photos on a live trip report like you do.

I have tried several times on other travel boards(Las Vegas) and failed miserably.

Threw the towel in after about an hour.Ugh .

Thanks for joining us here!

If you use Flickr for storing your photos I can help you. Otherwise no.

Princess is worth your consideration.

Norris

This has just been heaven. Can't wait to read the other reviews and it is rather tough to think about fixing a little dinner at home after the ultimate balcony dinner....thanks Norris again...I think there is a little Montana sirloin and frozen veggies waiting for me...thanks soooo much for the wonderful arm chair travels, so looking forward to your other reviews.

I popped in briefly on your Silhouette review and you invited me to join in here so here I am. :)....

Norris, I've totally enjoyed this comparison, feeling you're spot on. If anything, your comparison reaffirms our decision to cruise Princess again, which will be our third (Grand, Ruby, Crown) but first time in a mini-suite - woo hoo!

And now I must catch up with your Ruby and Crown cruises! Thank you so much for sharing.

Kathy

Kathy thanks for coming over to take a look at the comparison.

I am sure you will be happy sailing Princess again.

A mini suite is a good cabin for space and a better shower experience.

Cheers,

Norris

This is exactly why I like cruising. Plus, your transportation is included. I love waking up in a different port each day. Or enjoying a wonderful sea day out in the middle of the ocean. Very enjoyable.

But, if I have to be honest, my real passion is getting in the car and driving on a long road trip. The freedom is incredible. I've driven to 49 states (and rented a car on 2 Hawaiian islands, because they haven't built a bridge there yet.) I especially love taking lonely back roads, visiting National Parks, exploring small towns. As much as I absolutely love to cruise, I'd take a cross country road trip any day.

But enough of this. I've hijacked your thread, and you've been gracious enough to listen to me. Lets get back to your amazing (as always) comparison.

Not highjacking- I welcome anyone's contributions.

Remember you are talking to someone who's blog is called "Drivin' Adair" and whose screen name on CC is a slang word for BMW cars. I live to drive.

Back roads? Oh yes and the hillier and twistier the better. We don't mind taking the "long way".

We love our driving holidays in the USA and Europe just as much as cruising.

Norris

WOW!! Those Ultimate Balcony dinners look amazing! OK, enough to send me running to the Princess website to look at possible cruises. :)

Thanks for sharing!

You'll find the website very user friendly.

There's also an Ultimate Balcony Breakfast (with champagne)

Pub Lunch is very popular too (free)

There are also the Chef's Table and the Winemakers Dinner (splurges)

You'll see Afternoon Tea soon in this thread and be goggle-eyed.

Norris

Annie, glad to see you are still reading along!

Carol likes minimal dressing on her salad too. I usually ask for the bottle and chug it down.

Norris

Class it up, dude -- at least use a straw.

I often feel like Carol and I are sisters from a different mother. . .

This has just been heaven. Can't wait to read the other reviews and it is rather tough to think about fixing a little dinner at home after the ultimate balcony dinner....thanks Norris again...I think there is a little Montana sirloin and frozen veggies waiting for me...thanks soooo much for the wonderful arm chair travels, so looking forward to your other reviews.

Glad to have you along!

Thanks for reading.

Norris

Thanks so much Norris..you two are both elegant, and casual in an equal way, informed and fun, appreciate the gifts of all levels of having the experience and are fabulous reviewers...I think I found one review of yours a ways back..it is embarrassing to see the short term and medium term memory tank sometimes...lol..thanks so..

I think a lot of people getting acknowledged on different boards on a review is so good for the boards..considering different lines or cabin types and at different economies, this is special here..it is so special..thanks so for sharing...I sipped my home made apple pie liquor one night, good English tea tonight..and that French Pear liquor I must seek again..lol..Godspeed..you two are lovely and big of you to make this so much fun and share. I love seeing the nicest level without the so called luxury level...not at all against that or those great people..but this is a closer dream...

Best Regards,

Sarah from Montana

Edited by sjn911

Sammy , thanks for stopping in. Glad you are enjoying!

You have picked a fine ship and you'll see more of her as this goes along.

You have much to look forward to sir!!

Norris

Yes I'm looking forward to reading more...incidently...this "sir" is a "madam" :D

Mmmmmmmm Mojito! Me Gusto! I can tell by the video that you and Carol would be fun people to hang with aboard, Trivia anyone?

Hi again and this response will serve to answer Bob in a following post too.

Carol has been to trivia on at least one of the ships and came back to tell me "you should go-you'd win" as my head is full of trivial stuff but it's mainly pop music and geography. Music and travel....makes sense as those are my passions.

I'm more likely to be sipping a Mojito (like Bob) than wracking my brains on trivia. I manage to do very little on the ships unless staring at the sea is considered an activity.

We are fun in a quiet way. We don't like loud people who shout "Whoopee!"

and do cannonballs into a pool. I got over that when I was 10.

It would be nice to run into some of the people who respond here- I seem to draw a nice crowd. I am at a disadvantage as everyone knows my real name and what I look like. I use my real name as I don't like nicknames and Bimmer09 is something I had to come up with to join CC.

Cheers!

Norris

Thanks so much Norris..you two are both elegant, and casual in an equal way, informed and fun, appreciate the gifts of all levels of having the experience and are fabulous reviewers...I think I found one review of yours a ways back..it is embarrassing to see the short term and medium term memory tank sometimes...lol..thanks so..

I think a lot of people getting acknowledged on different boards on a review is so good for the boards..considering different lines or cabin types and at different economies, this is special here..it is so special..thanks so for sharing...I sipped my home made apple pie liquor one night, good English tea tonight..and that French Pear liquor I must seek again..lol..Godspeed..you two are lovely and big of you to make this so much fun and share. I love seeing the nicest level without the so called luxury level...not at all against that or those great people..but this is a closer dream...

Best Regards,

Sarah from Montana

Sarah, glad you are getting something out of this comparison. I don't think anyone has ever tried to do one on this scale before but I don't like when a cruise line is reduced to one sentence-e.g we didn't like the food. (Why not?)

I'm sure every line has it strengths and weaknesses and none of them may be perfect for me but I've enjoyed the 9 we have taken so far and that's the bottom line. I want to give kudos to the two lines that made that possible.

With regards to luxury cruise lines I feel that we have already had luxury by booking suites. I don't need a piano in the room or to eat foie gras every night as much as I love it. I don't need a butler either come to think of it. I seem to like big ships around 100,000 tons and 1,000 feet long with lots to do onboard.

Claims of 6 star service (seemingly awarded by the line itself) I can barely imagine. Oceania looks like something I might want to try but they don't have super high review scores. I get an e mail a day from them but their smoke and mirrors pricing (half off! two for the price of One etc) is a turn off. I like transparency.

It's funny that you use the word "elegant" when describing Carol and I as there's a video of our sail away from FLL (Ruby I think) where I am telling her to wave her towel "Elegantly". I laugh when I think of it now. I always think-what would Queen Elizabeth do?

Watch her towel waving next time the Royal Yacht Britannia sails by...

Norris

Hello again Norris,

As I indicated, I have returned to the comparison thread after finishing the complete Celebrity review. It has peaked my interest in trying out that ship in the future.

I have a few observations. My experience is based on my time with Princess and in particular both the Ruby and Crown, sister ships. I am using your Celebrity review for my observations.

First, the design throughout the Princess ships is fairly consistent in theme. It seems apparent that a single design team did the entire ship. The Silly seems to have had a number of different designers assigned to different venues. Made for some unusual and interesting themes. The lawn concept is certainly appealing. (if properly maintained)

Celebrity certainly has more extra charge restaurants with higher prices. If the MDR is not as good, this certainly might add to the cost of the voyage. The only extra charge meal we have ever had on any Princess cruise was the amazing UBD on our Med Cruise. We love the MDR for dinner and the IC for lunch. (room service for Breakfast)

Entertainment wise we have always enjoyed the offerings on Princess. We did have a chance to see the new "Magic to Do" show on the Crown in December and it was a level above anything we have seen before outside of a Broadway, NY show. See it if you have a chance.

A toast to you, hopefully we will meet someday,

Dixon:cool:

Dixon I highlighted in red.

There is a harmony to the Princess designs from the pen of Teresa Anderson and yes the S Class designs look like they are from multiple designers. This is a big reason for the constant WOWs I was uttering.... an endless display of fresh ideas.

The first place I visited on the ship was the Lawn but mainly because I knew the Sunset bar was there and I could smoke and have my first celebratory beer.

I fell in love with the lawn immediately. This is the biggest ship I have ever been on and it has room to put this open land on deck where most lines would have used the space for rope courses or extra sun loungers. People would sit on the grass on cushions or walk on it barefoot (nice on a hot day). There were hammocks on it and no people around to harshen one's buzz. It was a quieter place except on the magical warm evenings leaving port when a singer guitarist would entertain (think James Taylor). Electric candles were at each table as people sat on cushions drinking wine and eating tapas. A beautiful touch.

At some board meeting before 2007 when the keel was laid for the Solstice someone thought out of the box- hey let's put a lawn up there! Brilliant.

The grass on the Silhouette was watered each morning and mowed during the week and had no dry dusty patches unlike the Eclipse where it's a mess.

24063012264_befa60d718_b.jpg

With regards to the Specialty restaurants I have never seen that kind of restaurant so busy as on this ship but they do sell discounted packages and they do sell individual restaurants at a discount daily to fill them. I am sure there are enough X folk reading this to defend the X MDR and it's entirely possible we just went on a bad night. We'll try again. The X Specialty pricing is certainly higher than Princess but we paid for the experience willingly. We had to try them. The $300 OBC and the savings of the other packages meant we got off the ship spending about $900 less than we usually do.

Cheers and thanks for the response.

Norris

Norris, I loved your Celebrity 'Silly' review (absolutely your best so far IMO) and very much appreciating this comparison with Princess. Thank you for your very hard work putting all this together.

On a more sombre note .... I understand "Thursday" will be a big day for you (it's now Thursday evening here in Oz), so I'm sending positive vibes to you and wishing you the very best of outcomes today. Hope it all goes well for you. Please let us know how it all goes ... your 'fans' here on CC are with you 100%.

We do the UBB every cruise and truly missed it on Eclipse. Its a great way to start a sea day. We once did it on the approach to Lisbon and had a hoot with all the workers on the bridge yelling down at the ship when we passed under it.