King Salmon Ketchikan

arlodog

We will be in Ketchikan the first week of June. Since this trip will be early in the season what can we expect for the salmon runs? During our last trip to Alaska at the end of July we loved seeing all the salmon and seals eating the salmon while walking along Creek street. Also seeing the ladder and watching the salmon trying to make it upstream:). I checked the web and the King Salmon are supposed to be running during our trip.

Our last trip we did a flight into Misty Fjords~ we want to save our money for other ports this trip so budget friendly suggestions are great! Our port times for this stop are very short 7-1:30, and so we want to make the most of the experience. I will be traveling with my grown son, who has never been to Alaska.

Please give us some ideas of what to do in Ketchikan in this short time frame that are budget friendly.

Thanks!

Karen

We will be in Ketchikan the first week of June. Since this trip will be early in the season what can we expect for the salmon runs? During our last trip to Alaska at the end of July we loved seeing all the salmon and seals eating the salmon while walking along Creek street. Also seeing the ladder and watching the salmon trying to make it upstream:). I checked the web and the King Salmon are supposed to be running during our trip.

Our last trip we did a flight into Misty Fjords~ we want to save our money for other ports this trip so budget friendly suggestions are great! Our port times for this stop are very short 7-1:30, and so we want to make the most of the experience. I will be traveling with my grown son, who has never been to Alaska.

Please give us some ideas of what to do in Ketchikan in this short time frame that are budget friendly.

Thanks!

Karen

You are too early to see salmon. The bargain "tour" option is the city bus to Totem Bight.

What the salmon runner lookers have to realize the runs come and go. It isn't a simple matter of the salmon being let loose in August and it's an endless supply. I have done multiple week trips where one, it's a full run, the next - nothing. ;)

What, instead, I suggest- IF you wish to see salmon- then LOOK in EACH of your ports, Ketchikan- it's simple matter to just go to Creek Street. In Skagway- Pullen Creek is an easy detour. Juneau- the hatchery, Mendenhall- Steep Creek trail.