predicting Seattle Weather

flatlander321

How predictable is Seattle's weather? We'll be there in late May this year for 5 days. Say it is Wednesday morning, will forecast predictions be accurate for Thursday especially for rain, clouds, or fog? How about 2 days away like on Friday? Some of what we want to see and do is dependent on the weather and visibility.

Our weather people are pretty good and I'd have a fair amount of confidence for 48- to 72-hour forecasts. Nobody's perfect of course.

Note that the saying around here is that summer begins on the 5th of July, so late May is definitely a transitional time. We've had wet and gloomy Memorial Days, but also Memorial Days like this -

folklife2009%20038asm.JPG

I'd agree that throughout the PNW the forecasts are very reliable 24hours in advance, and right far more often than not up to 3 days out (if they say rain it might rain a bit more or less than predicted but it will usually rain) during Spring/Fall - since we're usually in either Vancouver or Portland and have to pass through Seattle both ways we check forecasts frequently for all three and it's very rare for a short-term to be wrong on type of weather (e.g. rain when they say it'll be clear or vice versa).

Temperatures can be much less accurate though, since there are so many factors of shade/direct sun/wind chill etc. in a given spot even if they get the average temp bang on. Layering is definitely the way to go regardless of what the claimed temp is going to be - and if you are out & about all day there will usually be a pretty big variance from afternoon highs to morning/evening lows so make sure you have the clothing for temps a little colder than the lowest indicated and a little higher than the highest!

Seattle: no tanning, only rusting.

On a positive note, things are green here, no water rationing and we get less wrinkles.

We made it. Wettest winter ever:

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/congratulations-seattle-youve-made-it-through-the-wettest-winter-on-record

Edited by 6rugrats

On a positive note, things are green here, no water rationing and we get less wrinkles.

We made it. Wettest winter ever:

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/congratulations-seattle-youve-made-it-through-the-wettest-winter-on-record

Don't get me wrong. I live Seattle. Reminds me of Boston.

Always pack pants and a lightweight waterproof jacket when coming to Seattle. July is HOT for us, but you would consider it mild. Not cold- mild. However, rain showers CAN and do happen any day of the year. It will be anywhere from the 70's to the 100's... But without the terrible humidity you have in the south. Days are spectacularly beautiful. Nights can be either crystal clear or extremely foggy. You never know till a few days beforehand. But I can promise you won't be "sweating bullets". You will be cool or warm, but nothing extreme in either direction. Its just about perfect here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be there July 2 -5 leading up to our cruise that leaves the 5th. I'm from Alabama so we are sweating bullets by July, lol. Do you recommend that we have pants for evening instead of shorts? I have a hard time comprehending cool weather in July :)

They always say that summer begins July 5 in Seattle (right after a damp, gray 4th). So you might get a little of both!

I wish we could give you a simple answer, but Seattle weather is never that predictable, especially when it's transitioning between seasons. In early July, it could be gray and drizzly and the high 50's. It could be sunny and 80-something. It's even more likely to be cool and damp in Alaska, so you'll probably want to pack for all those possibilities. Think layers. A lightweight, water-resistant jacket with a hood may come in handy. A light sweater, too. Layer those over clothes that would be fine alone if it's warm out, and you'll be fine. And yes, you might be glad you packed a pair of long pants--but you can probably get by with something less bulky than jeans. But throw in that pair of shorts, too!