Koala bears

lynnek

First of all, let me advise you not to use the term "koala bear" in Australia. Koalas are marsupials, not mammals like bears and an Australian will probably correct you or give you a "look" if you use that phrase.

Secondly, koalas are really, really hard to spot in the wild. I've been lucky enough to see them in the semi-wild (a nature preserve) and even then, I had to use binoculars and have someone tell me which trees to look in. They often sit up very high in eucalpytus trees and blend in so well that they are hard to spot. They are also hard to spot in the wild because the regions where they live are getting smaller and more isolated.

I have heard that koalas can be found in the wild around Port Stephens, but that is a 2.5 hour drive from Sydney. I don't think it would be worth the trip to "maybe" see a koala in the wild.

So, I suggest you just do what most visitors (and Australians) do to see koalas--visit a zoo or wildlife park. Here's a link to zoos and wildlife parks where they can be seen. (Taronga Zoo in Sydney is not listed, but they are definitely there. They must not be be a member of the Australia Koala Foundation). https://www.savethekoala.com/about-koalas/where-to-see-koalas-australia

Also, be aware that it is illegal to hold koalas in most of Australia. You can do this in Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas and Brisbane), so if you have to "cuddle a koala", check with the zoos and/or wildlife parks in those areas to see what their policy is for holding koalas and how much they charge for it. And if you just want to pat a koala and take your picture with it (no charge), you can do this at Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney.

Edited by GradUT

In the wild if you're lucky enough to find one all you're likely to see is a grey lump high up in a tree, they sleep all day in the forks of the trees so you don't see much. Our nature parks are very good, very natural settings for the animals but it allows them to be in a situation where you can actually see them properly.

First of all, let me advise you not to use the term "koala bear" in Australia. Koalas are marsupials, not mammals like bears and an Australian will probably correct you or give you a "look" if you use that phrase.

Secondly, koalas are really, really hard to spot in the wild. I've been lucky enough to see them in the semi-wild (a nature preserve) and even then, I had to use binoculars and have someone tell me which trees to look in. They often sit up very high in eucalpytus trees and blend in so well that they are hard to spot. They are also hard to spot in the wild because the regions where they live are getting smaller and more isolated.

I have heard that koalas can be found in the wild around Port Stephens, but that is a 2.5 hour drive from Sydney. I don't think it would be worth the trip to "maybe" see a koala in the wild.

So, I suggest you just do what most visitors (and Australians) do to see koalas--visit a zoo or wildlife park. Here's a link to zoos and wildlife parks where they can be seen. (Taronga Zoo in Sydney is not listed, but they are definitely there. They must not be be a member of the Australia Koala Foundation). https://www.savethekoala.com/about-koalas/where-to-see-koalas-australia

Also, be aware that it is illegal to hold koalas in most of Australia. You can do this in Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas and Brisbane), so if you have to "cuddle a koala", check with the zoos and/or wildlife parks in those areas to see what their policy is for holding koalas and how much they charge for it. And if you just want to pat a koala and take your picture with it (no charge), you can do this at Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney.

Yes there are a few largish colonies around Port Stephens, but you are still unlikely to see one.

I've seen plenty of Koalas in the wild in the hills around Adelaide, in fact we were coming out of the hills one evening late last year and were in suburbia on a main road and a bull koala was walking down the middle of the road, traffic was chaos.

The easiest place I have seen Koalas in the wild is Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia, they are very easy to spot there. In fact if you have time pre or post cruise and are able to head south, Kangaroo Island is famous for the ease of seeing its wildlife.

However our southern Koalas are most likely easier to see as they are bigger than their northern Australian cousins :)

I just asked 10 members of my family, ranging from 28 to 62. All have lived in Australia since birth. None have ever seen a koala in the wild.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have seen them, but it's rare and you really need to be on the lookout.

I agree with everyone else. Your best chance is at a zoo/wildlife park. Featherdale in Sydney is great for native wildlife.

I have lived southeast of Melbourne in a rural area for several years and despite the signs indicating koalas are in the area, I have NEVER seen one in the wild. I've seen evidence of a koala in my neighbor's tree, but that was all I saw.

Spotting koalas in the wild is rare, as is spotting platypus in the wild.

If you want to be sure to see Australia's unique wildlife, I would definitely plan a trip to a zoo. If seeing a koala is high on your list of MUST DOs while in Australia, I would make sure I went somewhere they are definitely and easily found.

I've been to Kangaroo Island (not a on a cruise) and I have not seen koalas in the wild there. But I have seen huge kangaroos -- we were on a nature walk and we came out of a thicket and there was a huge kangaroo just standing and staring at us. It did not move until one of the group went for his camera and then it bounded away. Definitely a top experience, even without the koalas.

I saw a koala in one of the shopping areas in the main street of Noosa, Queensland. Somehow, it had strayed from the National Park.

It was running around for about half an hour.

Eventually, two police officers trapped it with a net and put it in the boot of their car. They said they were going to take it back to the National Park.

You will not see Koalas in the wild at the ports that you are visiting on a day tour basis.

There are many local areas that have Koalas but local knowledge is needed.

For example. Magnetic Island which is off Townsville has local Koala colonies very close to walking tracks around the old wartime lookout posts.

We have koalas in the bush behind our house. I have heard them but have never seen them.

Generally speaking, You will only see Kangaroos in the evening and early mornings. They are nocturnal. Having said that, there are many quiet country areas that you will come across them ar any time. Canberra has many.

I've been to Kangaroo Island (not a on a cruise) and I have not seen koalas in the wild there. But I have seen huge kangaroos -- we were on a nature walk and we came out of a thicket and there was a huge kangaroo just standing and staring at us. It did not move until one of the group went for his camera and then it bounded away. Definitely a top experience, even without the koalas.

You can see them quite easily on Kangaroo Island, just have to know where to go. A few years ago I remember walking down an avenue of trees with a Koala in every one. In fact they are a bit of a nuisance due to overpopulation and decimating the trees.

Our ports are Sydney, Brisbane, gbr and Darwin and I would love to see koala bears somewhere but preferably not a zoo. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, as others have said, it is very unlikely you would see a koala in the wild.

I see you are stopping in Brisbane. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, http://www.koala.net is a good place to see koalas. Most cruise ships do a tour there. You will see lots of other native animals as well. You can cuddle a koala and get your photo taken ($$).

To give you an idea of how hard they are to spot in the wild, here's one of the koalas we saw near the Great Ocean Road. We only knew they were there because of the clump of parked cars, with people out of them looking up into the trees - we would never have seen them ourselves.

2e4yxd1.jpg

I just asked 10 members of my family, ranging from 28 to 62. All have lived in Australia since birth. None have ever seen a koala in the wild.

I've seen two - one at Hawks Nest, Port Stephens and the other at Hanging Rock Reserve about an hour's drive out of Melbourne. Both times other people pointed them out to me.

I've seen two - one at Hawks Nest, Port Stephens and the other at Hanging Rock Reserve about an hour's drive out of Melbourne. Both times other people pointed them out to me.

You have a fair chance if spotting them around Por Stephens if you know where to look.

But I agree they are hard to spot.

Now Roos see hundreds every day.

Used to see Platypus most days too, not many see them in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have mentioned Koalas sleep for almost the entire day. The best experience comes from a zoo or similar establishment where they have lots of them in an enclosure with the animals at eye height; here there is a chance that one of them will be awake and doing something but then again they can all be asleep too.