Kids in club on ship while ashore

sg4crzn

We would need two strollers and I was thinking of pushing umbrella strollers up the hill on the cobblestone would be difficult. We always walk all the way to El Morro. Stoping at shops and eating local food. After getting to El Morro the youngest would not want to walk around the whole area and it doesn't seem to be totally stroller friendly so a parent would have to carry her. I feel it would be a great opportunity for the parents and their 10 year old to have a special time without hot and whiny toddlers. I do understand what you are saying.

I would highly recommend you leave the kids onboard...........

On our very first cruise in 1999, we were pulling away from the port in Calica, Mexico, when a taxi pulled up with two pier runners, a woman and a man. The woman was screaming, "Wait, wait! My kids, my kids!" They had left their kids on board and missed the ship. Who knows why.

I was chilled to the bone witnessing that- what a horrible feeling.

Because of that, I:

A) am super paranoid about missing the ship and always get back like 2 hours before boarding

B) couldn't leave my kids onboard, because that woman screaming will always be in the back of my mind!

Hmmmm...did they even offer child care then :confused: Their "children" could easily have been a lot older (or even adults) than the age of those being discussed on this thread.

Sorry this left such a long lasting impression on you...As this incident sounds like it was the fault of those particular parents and their lack of making sure they were back onboard with time to spare...and arriving in a taxi no less.

I could never leave my kids in the club and get off the ship..call me over protective. While my child can spend time in the kids club, I like to periodically monitor what is going on there...get a feeling on the person Im entrusting my child .. would never not be right there is something happened to my child..and lastly..what if I were involved in an accident in port ..what happens then..like I said ..just call me over protective:)

what if I were involved in an accident in port ..what happens then..like I said ..just call me over protective:)

What happens if you take your kid with you and get in an accident? Either the kid gets hurt too, or the kid is left all alone in a foreign country while the parent might be incapacitated.

I'd prefer my kid to be protected and safe in those circumstances.... but that's just me. Maybe you prefer to have your kid injured or alone in a scary place where nobody is watching out for their best interests. To each their own.

Life is going to happen, one way or another. :rolleyes:

Although we have never done it, and others we traveled with did and had no problem with it.

I guess it just depends on what you are comfortable doing.

Anything can or cannot happen so, it is what it is.

Just glad the service is available for those who want to use it.

Safe travels.

I could never leave my kids in the club and get off the ship..call me over protective. While my child can spend time in the kids club, I like to periodically monitor what is going on there...get a feeling on the person Im entrusting my child .. would never not be right there is something happened to my child..and lastly..what if I were involved in an accident in port ..what happens then..like I said ..just call me over protective:)

I don't call that over-protective. I call that doing the right thing for your family and your comfort level. What's the point of doing something on vacation that gives you a knot in your stomach? And you are right to bring up the possibility of a mishap for the parents ashore. The risk we focus on isn't always the most likely one! My husband and I once did something on a trip to Europe while leaving our son to his own devices in an apartment we had rented. I didn't occur to me until later that, even as a teen, he would have been in a heck of a mess if something happened & we didn't return! Never made that mistake again and made sure to make provisions such a possibility the next time ;-)

Don't let anyone bully you out of your own choices for your family.

I hate to be a Negative Nellie but what would happen if you were on shore and something happened to you, be it vehicle breakdown, injury, etc. What would happen to your kids if you didn't make it back in time? Will a crew member take care of them until you are reunited at next port. I remember on Disney Cruise, parents lost track of time and ship started out with parents screaming that their children were onboard and they put parents on a tug and took them to ship.

I hate to be a Negative Nellie but what would happen if you were on shore and something happened to you, be it vehicle breakdown, injury, etc. What would happen to your kids if you didn't make it back in time? Will a crew member take care of them until you are reunited at next port. I remember on Disney Cruise, parents lost track of time and ship started out with parents screaming that their children were onboard and they put parents on a tug and took them to ship.

Yes, it has happened and crew members were assigned to care for the children until the parents were able to catch up with the ship. While they say the ship will wait, sometimes this is just not possible.

To the OP, yes you can do this and it is really up to you on how comfortable you are with it. Only you know the kids and how they will handle it.

Personally I think it is fine for most kids, but would either go with a ship sponsored excursion or stick close to the ship where I was not gone too long.

Has anyone left their children on the ship in the club while going ashore? I think it sounds bad but in San Juan it would be easier to tour the forts without two small children. Is there a means of communication provided?

I have left my son on board over a dozen times. He is now 19 and he will tell you it was the best time he ever had. He loved it. We were able to do things he a port that he would not have enjoyed. People leave their kids with summer counselors all the time. I have been a teacher for 40 years. Your children are fine in the care of others.