Help With Cabin

janetz

I am looking at Cat 2c, and 2D, obstructed view veranda on the Sihouette and can not figure out which cabins offer the least obstruction.

Does anyone happen to know? Thanks ahead. :)

There is a sticky at the top of page one of this forum for S class ships that gives a lot of detailed cabin information. Click on the spreadsheet link in the first message to open it. You can scroll down to the cabin numbers you are comparing and check them out. Comments by members who have sailed in these cabins include noise, bed position and obstructions.

I have found this very helpful in picking cabins in the past.

There is a sticky at the top of page one of this forum for S class ships that gives a lot of detailed cabin information. Click on the spreadsheet link in the first message to open it. You can scroll down to the cabin numbers you are comparing and check them out. Comments by members who have sailed in these cabins include noise, bed position and obstructions.

I have found this very helpful in picking cabins in the past.

Thank you. :)

I am looking at Cat 2c, and 2D, obstructed view veranda on the Sihouette and can not figure out which cabins offer the least obstruction.

Does anyone happen to know? Thanks ahead. :)

Did a bit of research on this awhile back for friends, but to not have access to the notes, other than the ones we actually booked. Generally the 2Ds - obstructed view, have a large lifeboat in your view field. There are some (2Cs - partially obstructed view, I believe) on deck 6, aft with huge balconies. The obstruction is the rooftop of the speciality restaurant below, otherwise your view is wide open - 6302 in particular. Others on deck 6 that have minor obstruction are 6242 and 6240 (starboard side was chosen to avoid smoking are on port side and I presume those on the port are similar). You may want to do a search for photos and reviews of these cabin numbers to give you a better idea (be aware that cabin number location can vary among the S class ships).

The 2Ds have the top of the lifeboat at the balcony railing; the 2Cs (in the central part of the ship) have the top of the lifeboat at the floor of the balcony. There are some exceptions at the back of the ship as noted above. 2C and 2D are only found on Deck 6 which I find a very convenient location.

We had a 2C last fall and I was very happy with it; we couldn't see straight down but unless you stood right at the rail you barely even noticed.

Great information. We ended up booking 6210, Cat D, which has an angled balcony. :)

Looks like a good choice!

For future reference - this is one of two closed threads that has tons of cabin information (if you have tons of time to read through them)! I bookmarked it some time ago and it has been valuable a number of times.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1751328&highlight=reflection+aft+cabin+photos

We've stayed in 6210 and 6240 before and would take either one of them again. 6208 and 6242 are also good choices with a bit more obstruction but not all those noticeable. I would say of these 4 cabins, 6240 has the absolute least obstruction and 6210 only has the butt end of a little chaser boat in front of it, although none of the 4 are bad choices. In 6240 and 6242, there may be a mechanical noise on your ship. It sounded like a loud fan noise, most noticeable in the bathroom and hardly at all on the balcony. It worked perfectly for us as we love white noise in our cabin but it may be an annoyance to others. To us, it drowns out any creaks or squeaks as well as any hallway noise from other passengers or next door neighbor noise you might get through the walls. I think the S class ships have the most soundproof rooms of any line, though so maybe that wouldn't have been an issue....but we still love the white noise.

We also tend to stay on deck 6 as we like the proximity to everything...especially the morning coffee. We also stay on the starboard side to avoid any smoke from the smoking area on deck 5 midship, which wafts up to the deck 6 and even deck 7 balconies.

There are also cabins that are directly between the lifeboats in the 2D and 2C categories. There are pictures posted that show which ones these are ... I think they are every 6 rooms apart or close to that number. The cabins listed above are on the hump, which have larger balconies, so are usually snagged up rather quickly.

We are booked in one of the starboard side aft cabins for one of our future cruises as their only obstruction is a portion of the roof for the specialty restaurants. While it looks like there might be occasions for workmen to walk along this area, there will be no mechanical noise from dropping a tender into the water, which can be very noisy at a very early hour if they happen to use the tender in close proximity to your cabin. I think the only ones this would affect would be the 2D cat rooms in ports that require a tender, as I think the lifeboats are actually in front of the 2C category rooms. Although the lifeboats might be lowered into the water periodically to test them, I think they do this at a later time in the day vs when they first drop anchor while in port.

And, if you've sailed on Celebrity before, you can always request a one category upgrade, which will take you from a 2D to a 2C category without charge. So, in the event that 6210 or 6208 are not available, I would go with the 2C category for the least amount of obstruction.