Are men still wearing tuxedos on Celebrity?

bookitdanno

I am hoping people still do. I like to make a bit of an effort and was looking forward to wearing my 'posh' frock on our upcoming Eclipse trip.

I shall be watching this thread to see the general consensus.

We've not been on Celebrity since the change, Royal made the change earlier but people still made a bit of an effort but not so many in Tux on them.

I am hoping people still do. I like to make a bit of an effort and was looking forward to wearing my 'posh' frock on our upcoming Eclipse trip.

We've not been on Celebrity since the change, Royal made the change earlier but people still made a bit of an effort but not so many in Tux on them.

What change has Royal made? AFAIK, they haven't made any changes to their dress code since this past fall. There are still formal nights on all their sailings except the 3 night ones. The only ships without a formal night is Quantum class, which has one included restaurant that is always "formal", Grande, which has lobster and prime rib on the menu every single night. Otherwise, every other class of ship has the traditional formal might. I agree most RCI passengers don't dress formal, or even much more than smart casual, but Royal has not officially dine away with formal night in exchange for something like Gala night or Evening Chic, etc... If that's changed this year, please advise....thanks.

For what it's worth, my husband takes his tux on every cruise regardless of cruise line to wear foe whatever dress up night there may be, and I take my cocktail dresses. We'll be doing the same for upcoming Celebrity sailings....

During our 1/11/16 Equinox cruise there were some men and women dressed formally, others were dressed in what used to be called by Celebrity "Informal" (coat & tie), and the remaining just another smart casual evening. I really think that any level of dress above very causal is now fine (except maybe the MDR, see below).

IMO, the dam broke loose, sort of speak, when the cruise lines changed the dress code to be just in the main dining rooms. Those of us that have been cruising for years remember that the dress code used to be for the entire evening, ship-wide. That really limited everyone to the dress code. Now I really do not think it makes much difference, within reason. Maybe in the MDR it is different; we have not dined in the MDR in any of our last four cruises, only in Blu (or the Specialty Restaurants on Celebrity and Princess). BTW, I really did not see any difference between the two lines in dress, even through Princess still has formal nights.

They still do, Gingerbint! Wear your posh frock and have festive fun! The "evening chic" thing is just marketing semantics to attract a younger crowd. So the "rule" is there is no real rule. Dress as you please. However many folks are still dressing as elegant and classy as the Celebrity ships are!

Last year on our Bermuda cruise we did not see one Tuxedo. Last year on our Carribean cruise we did see a few men in Tuxedo's. (very few) I do love a man in a tux. Unfortunately, DH found out he no longer needed to wear his tux :( I kept that secret from him as long as I could. ;)

We did a B2B on Equinox Jan 22 and Feb 1. We saw several tuxes on both cruises really didn't notice much difference from formal nights. Lots of the men wore suits and ties and women generally dressed up. We were happy to see this.

What change has Royal made? AFAIK, they haven't made any changes to their dress code since this past fall. There are still formal nights on all their sailings except the 3 night ones. The only ships without a formal night is Quantum class, which has one included restaurant that is always "formal", Grande, which has lobster and prime rib on the menu every single night. Otherwise, every other class of ship has the traditional formal might. I agree most RCI passengers don't dress formal, or even much more than smart casual, but Royal has not officially dine away with formal night in exchange for something like Gala night or Evening Chic, etc... If that's changed this year, please advise....thanks.

For what it's worth, my husband takes his tux on every cruise regardless of cruise line to wear foe whatever dress up night there may be, and I take my cocktail dresses. We'll be doing the same for upcoming Celebrity sailings....

Doh yes, sorry you are correct. We did both the Quantum and Anthem last year hence my senior moment! They had 'Gala nights' instead of Formal ones.

The 'Grande' however was not so much and they never really enforced it in there, several people made an effort which was great whilst others didn't. They did have spare jackets which they handed out to guests without them but these just ended up on the back of the chairs!

There was not too many dressed up on our Freedom cruise in Sept either so hence my mix up.

We are back to normal ships with our cruises this year so looking forward to getting the dresses out again!

Sorry again for my confusion :confused: