UBP freebie charges

KarimaJ

Yup. Just to be clear, though, it's not $173 for everyone -- the cost of the "free" UBP choice depends on the number of days. You must be looking at 7-day cruise. To calculate how much the UBP will cost if you choose it for any given cruise, take the cost of the UBP if purchased (currently $69 per day), and multiply it by 2, and by the number of days on your cruise. That's the retail price of the UBP. Then multiply by .18 to get the cost. So, in your case, it's 69x2x7x.18=$173.88. For a 14-day cruise, the supplement you have to pay is $347.76.

When you understand that's how they do it, it really puts the lie to the whole "18 percent" for all but the heaviest of drinkers. If you're not planning to drink $69 worth of drinks every single day of your cruise, you're actually paying a service charge much more than 18 percent. For example, if you take a 7-day cruise and you both have 3 drinks a day at $10 per drink, the $173 you were charged really turns out to be a 41.4% "gratuity" and "service charge" on what you actually drank. It turns out to be a true 18 percent service charge on what you actually consume if you drink nearly $1,000 in booze in 7 days.

I'm cruising solo, so do I still multiply by 2, or is this yet another way I get dinged by a single supplement? (I'm also godawful at math word problems.)

The 18% gratuity is added to the drink price. It goes to the crew person that serves you the drink. Since most of the crew is working for tips, do you think those free drinks would be coming to you as quick without at tip??

There are a lot of words to describe the bar service on NCL, and quick is definitely not one of them.

So the 18% gratuity charge is on a purchase. Seeing as I did not "purchase" the Beverage Package but rather it was part of a promotion, I guess there is no gratuity charged. At least in my world.:D

Which begs the question. If a restaurant for some reason offered you a free meal, would you use the same logic and not tip the waitstaff on the basis that you didn't make a purchase?

Edited by KeithJenner

There are a lot of words to describe the bar service on NCL, and quick is definitely not one of them.

We have been on 10 NCL cruises over the past 2 years. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I felt the service was "not quick". All other times, it was pretty much normal for any bar (ashore or at sea).

Which begs the question. If a restaurant for some reason offered you a free meal, would you use the same logic and not tip the waitstaff on the basis that you didn't make a purchase?

That's a very apt point that I hadn't considered. I still don't know if I would drink enough (even including non-alcoholic beverages) to make the UBP worth it even under the Free At Sea promotion, but I'm less peeved about it now. :)

We have been on 10 NCL cruises over the past 2 years. I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I felt the service was "not quick". All other times, it was pretty much normal for any bar (ashore or at sea).
Bar service on my December Dawn cruise was very quick, as I never really waited for a drink. Edited by NLH Arizona

There is a tip calculated on the bill. That goes to the waiter and is funded by you service fee. You can tip more if you want but it's not necessary. The drink and the base tip are removed from the billable part of your room charges if you have the Beverage Package.

I'm cruising solo, so do I still multiply by 2, or is this yet another way I get dinged by a single supplement? (I'm also godawful at math word problems.)

Interesting question. I just did a test booking on ncl.com, and it appears that a solo traveler who selects the UBP only has to pay the gratuity on a single package -- so at the moment $12.42 per day of the cruise. And a solo booking a studio cabin on Epic only pays a single person gratuity/service charge supplement if selecting the UBP. (Though I think the UBP promotion is often not applied to insides and studios, depending on which version of the promo is in effect.)

Right now, the Beverage Package is allowed for inside cabins including the Studio. You are correct, the Service Charge is calculated person (i.e two person pay twice the service charge or 18% of two Beverage Packages).

Edited by arestep

I have been on 12 NCL cruises in the last 2 years and the majority of the time bar service has been very slow. Either I am unlucky or you are lucky. Maybe both.

We booked our cruise (Jewel, tomorrow!) through a UK agent. I've asked whether the free UBP will attract $347.76 of autogratuity (18% for two people, 14 nights). Received the following from NCL:

When receiving the Ultimate Beverage Package as part of a promotion, no European guests will need to pay any additional gratuity. This is different for our American market, however only applies when booking via an American travel agency or our US-website in USD.

I can confirm that there will be no additional costs regarding the beverages for your parents.

When purchasing the Ultimate Beverage Package separately at your own expense and not receiving it through a promotion, an additional 18% gratuity will be applied to the price and is unfortunately not optional as the daily service charge is.

Yeah, I was on the Escape last week...and I would order the most expensive drinks I could..so an Old Fashioned with Woodford Reserve was I think $14.50. They take your card and ring it up and then also ring up 18% so that 1 drink would out of pocket be $17.11 out of pocket...

I would have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and they were $10 or $11.80 with gratuity...so you're at $23.60 per dinner x 7 = $165.20 for wine with dinner...

I am not a big drinker...I haven't had a drink since the cruise...but it was a good deal even for me.

Ok so to get this straight...my first time with the ubp u can order a drink up to $15 retail? Meaning if the tip goes over it is still included? I could have sworn that I read somebody said it had to be under 15 with the tip included....so if that is true can you order a double if it's under 15? How about bucket of beer ? Kind of my favorite when laying out all day.... And one last question how does ubp even work? How do they know you have it? Do you just get charged all the drinks and then they are removed at the end of the cruise? I would hate that! I kind of have a trust issues with cruise lines trying to sneak in things I shouldn't of payed for!side note this is my first NCL cruise. So fingers crossed!

We booked our cruise (Jewel, tomorrow!) through a UK agent. I've asked whether the free UBP will attract $347.76 of autogratuity (18% for two people, 14 nights). Received the following from NCL:

When receiving the Ultimate Beverage Package as part of a promotion, no European guests will need to pay any additional gratuity. This is different for our American market, however only applies when booking via an American travel agency or our US-website in USD.

I can confirm that there will be no additional costs regarding the beverages for your parents.

When purchasing the Ultimate Beverage Package separately at your own expense and not receiving it through a promotion, an additional 18% gratuity will be applied to the price and is unfortunately not optional as the daily service charge is.

Yes, this has always been the case for those of us in the UK and some other places. The perks are no extra cost to us.

We have had the UBP on our last 2 NCL cruises and we love it.

On our next cruise, 14 days, we are paying $322.92 for both of us. That is $33 a day for both of us to have unlimited beverages. If I had 3 glasses of wine and he had 3 beers, we are way over the $33.

We have the 6 dinner package, also at $37.44 total. That is 6 specialty dinners for two! How can this not be worth paying the 18%?

Lynda

Ok so to get this straight...my first time with the ubp u can order a drink up to $15 retail? Meaning if the tip goes over it is still included? I could have sworn that I read somebody said it had to be under 15 with the tip included....so if that is true can you order a double if it's under 15? How about bucket of beer ? Kind of my favorite when laying out all day.... And one last question how does ubp even work? How do they know you have it? Do you just get charged all the drinks and then they are removed at the end of the cruise? I would hate that! I kind of have a trust issues with cruise lines trying to sneak in things I shouldn't of payed for!side note this is my first NCL cruise. So fingers crossed!

As stated, buckets of beer are not included in the package.

The price limit stated is the list price, before any taxes and tips.

Your keycard will be stamped with UBP which shows that you have the package. It used to be that you would still sign a slip, but this has changed now and you don't sign anything. It won't show up on your account at all.

I have received doubles using the UDP, although I'm not sure that there wasn't some rule bending going on to do that.

As stated, buckets of beer are not included in the package.

The price limit stated is the list price, before any taxes and tips.

Your keycard will be stamped with UBP which shows that you have the package. It used to be that you would still sign a slip, but this has changed now and you don't sign anything. It won't show up on your account at all.

I have received doubles using the UDP, although I'm not sure that there wasn't some rule bending going on to do that.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I was on the Escape last week...and I would order the most expensive drinks I could..so an Old Fashioned with Woodford Reserve was I think $14.50. They take your card and ring it up and then also ring up 18% so that 1 drink would out of pocket be $17.11 out of pocket...

I would have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and they were $10 or $11.80 with gratuity...so you're at $23.60 per dinner x 7 = $165.20 for wine with dinner...

I am not a big drinker...I haven't had a drink since the cruise...but it was a good deal even for me.

Thanks for this post, I've never considered drink package before, math never added up, female and get off at ports and mainly drink wine with meals and go on ships that allow a couple bottles. But, fun to try when just pay gratuity, hopefully I don't overdo and feel bad, 3 glasses of wine is usually one too many but think I pour big! Anyway, I notice very high end beer and pretty nice cocktails allowed on the program but I was a little concerned good wine might be tough to find (i.e. If they price it just above 15 and don't allow paying differnce). Where did you find good wine on escape? I'd imagine the wine bar but do the specialty restaurants also have good wine priced just below 15?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, don't think about it in terms of what is included and not.

If your drink costs more than $15, you are charged the difference in price. They add 18% ito the price diff. So if your drink costs $20, you get charged $5 +$0.90 gratuity. = $5.90

Edited by BirdTravels