Olden to glacier bus

Daddyglove

Hi we are on Azura in May and visit Olden on 24 May.

I have been looking at getting the local bus to the glacier instead of paying for P&o excursion and save a few pennies.

When I looked at the local bus timetable it says it runs daily from 1 June to 31 August.

Can anybody tell me if this is correct and if it is which would be the best way to get to the glacier for me my wife and 10 year old daughter.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi we are on Azura in May and visit Olden on 24 May.

I have been looking at getting the local bus to the glacier instead of paying for P&o excursion and save a few pennies.

When I looked at the local bus timetable it says it runs daily from 1 June to 31 August.

Can anybody tell me if this is correct and if it is which would be the best way to get to the glacier for me my wife and 10 year old daughter.

Thanks

we have done Olden a few times.

Once we caught the trolley train up the valley, then came half way back, then walked the rest of the way.

Last time we did the p and o excursion to the glacier, and I have to say due to global warming it is not so impressive now, as what they said it used to be.

We used the troll car one. You still had to walk at the end ,but not so far as the walkers who were bussed to the car park, and had to walk from there.

No help I know but I cant remember seeing a bus at any time...

It is literally a few houses and shops (mostly owned by the same family) at the end of the fjord.

http://www.oldedalen-skysslag.com/Engelsk/index.htm

found this, seems to be the same family!!!

We were there in August last year.

There was an open top glacier sightseeing bus that went from right next to where the ship docks.

I think it cost about £16 each (you could pay by credit card) and we thought was good value.

There was also a trolley train but I dont know much about where it went.

Olden was very picturesque and probably our favourite stop.

This is the bus company that runs the local bus route, you could contact them and ask the dates for the coming season. It's bus 14-751 Stryn Olden Oldedalen-Briksdalen you need. We did it in July with ease, saving a fortune on other ways.

http://www.kringom.no/

There is a good thread on the route in the ports of call section, just search for Olden and it comes up.

We were lucky to be given ships tour tickets by some fellow passengers because they were under the weather and went to the glacier. It was ok but in reality you see a tiny bit of the glacier up high. We were glad we hadn't paid the full trip price. We researched a bus trip which does exist and is very cheap. However in reality if we had just wandered into town and back I think we would have enjoyed our day just as much. The sail away was very nice though.

My fjords cruise was in May too, and I also wanted to get the public bus to the glacier but it only runs in high season - I e-mailed the Olden tourist info and they confirmed it but I cannot find the e-mail and timetable, sorry.

If you want to avoid the ships tours you can book one of the mini-vans, the Tourist bureau is pretty much opposite the ships dock. Once at the glacier site you can either book a troll car to the top or hike up if you want - I didn't have time for the hike but I reckon easily an hour up and same down. Its true you dont get to walk on the glacier, but the journey up is nice scenic experience by itself.

Top tip if your booking a mini-van, the early slots fill up quickly. If I was back in Olden and the public bus wasnt running, Id get off the ship first thing and book a mid-morning van slot, then go back aboard for breakfast. Then I'd have nice slow stroll up to the glacier and back.

• 2 weeks later...
We were lucky to be given ships tour tickets by some fellow passengers because they were under the weather and went to the glacier. It was ok but in reality you see a tiny bit of the glacier up high. We were glad we hadn't paid the full trip price. We researched a bus trip which does exist and is very cheap. However in reality if we had just wandered into town and back I think we would have enjoyed our day just as much. The sail away was very nice though.

Thanks for this view, kevin, and for the link. The problem seems to be that the bus doesn't run until Jun 1st, so it would have to be the shuttle.

It's interesting that you don't seem to be that impressed? Is that because you didn't walk up to the glacier?

PS Have now found this link to 'Other timetables'

http://kringom.reiseinfo.no/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/tables/ruter/t/14-751.htm

Think in May, we would have to get the 13 30 back down to the ship.

Correcting myself here, I think there appears to be a later bus back according to the timetable.

Edited by Scriv

Thanks for this view, kevin, and for the link. The problem seems to be that the bus doesn't run until Jun 1st, so it would have to be the shuttle.

It's interesting that you don't seem to be that impressed? Is that because you didn't walk up to the glacier?

Hi,

The glacier is the 'must see' from Olden however we were not that impressed. We walked right to the top of the footpath (about 45 mins) where you are below the lip of the glacier about 100 feet above. You can just see it. The pics we took didn't really show it much at all and if we've shown anyone else we've had to point to the glacier tip and explain what it was.

This is me at the top with the glacier behind so maybe that may help make your decision;

c7e42c10cf717488724059a4e2f41669.jpg

Edited by kevinyork

I'm getting really enthusiastic opinions - and photos - from some other people who really thought it worth doing, so I guess the only option is to go and see for myself lol ;) Maybe it depends on the weather on the day.

Glad that we have sorted out that there is a public bus running at the end of May :)

Edited by Scriv

I'm getting really enthusiastic opinions - and photos - from some other people who really thought it worth doing, so I guess the only option is to go and see for myself lol ;) Maybe it depends on the weather on the day.

Glad that we have sorted out that there is a public bus running at the end of May :)

I went to Olden in the beginning of May (it was 2013 though) and there were loads of double decker buses pulling up at the ship with "glacier tour" on them!

If you do go the drive took about 30 mins or so. The walk was around 45-55 mins on a steady pace to reach the glacier. A little quicker walking downhill back to the cafe.

If that's the glacier last year then it has shrunk back a lot just in the three years since we were there in August 2012. [ATTACH]379301[/ATTACH]

Yes my pic was taken last July. Soon it won't be visible at all unless you take a helicopter tour.