Elderly Woman falls on Gem, Security leaves passengers to treat her

geegee1

So I painfully hobbled and limped for our 4 week adventure.

If you felt the doctor on the ship was wrong, why did you wait 4 weeks to go to a doctor? I sure wouldn't have limped in pain for 4 weeks while on a cruise, I would have gone to a doctor at one of the ports we stopped at and if they showed that NCL's doctor misdiagnosed me, I would submit all the invoices to NCL to be paid. Edited by NLH Arizona

If you felt the doctor on the ship was wrong, why did you wait 4 weeks to go to a doctor? I sure wouldn't have limped in pain for 4 weeks while on a cruise, I would have gone to a doctor at one of the ports we stopped at and if they showed that NCL's doctor misdiagnosed me, I would submit all the invoices to NCL to be paid.

Because I REALLY wanted to see each and every port in Ireland and Scotland and didn't want to spend a day in a doctor's office. Besides, the doctor said I was fine and there were no broken bones.

It's a little creepy to me, too, and I am just experiencing it as a (virtual) bystander.

To the people who are bothered by the OP's post, here's another perspective: when I read that story I didn't interpret it as a slam on NCL, more like a reminder of the realities of cruising. You are not in a big city and while I am sure they do everything they can, there are limits to the services they can provide, and it seems, sometimes limits to the speed with which they can deliver those services.

Some small towns in Canada don't have nearby hospitals -- I don't take that fact as a criticism of the town, just as a factual reminder and something to consider when traveling there. Same thing for cruising.

Are you implying that in the US there are hospitals near all small towns but not in Canada?? I live in Canada in a small town and have two hospitals very close by. I have friends in the US that have no hospital nearby.

Strange statement for you to make and not factual at all.

Because I REALLY wanted to see each and every port in Ireland and Scotland and didn't want to spend a day in a doctor's office. Besides, the doctor said I was fine and there were no broken bones.

Just curious - had you purchased NCL travel insurance? Sadly, I've heard (anecdotally) that this could be what makes the difference. I will say that we've learned the hard way both with DH and DD (both breakers...sigh) that breaks don't often show up on the X-rays until the swelling goes down. The land based ortho was impressed that the Gem doc called it - as he was not able to do so definitively for at least another week.

Just curious - had you purchased NCL travel insurance? Sadly, I've heard (anecdotally) that this could be what makes the difference. I will say that we've learned the hard way both with DH and DD (both breakers...sigh) that breaks don't often show up on the X-rays until the swelling goes down. The land based ortho was impressed that the Gem doc called it - as he was not able to do so definitively for at least another week.

Yes, we had the Platinum insurance, but the ship's doctor did not charge for the x-ray or the ice pack.

Yes, I do know that many breaks are not visible on initial x-rays. However, I think the bone jammed into my metatarsal was probably evident immediately. The bone was splayed open like a 2 x 2 piece of wood that had been hit with a hammer. The break in the second toe might have been missed though.:o

Are you implying that in the US there are hospitals near all small towns but not in Canada?? I live in Canada in a small town and have two hospitals very close by. I have friends in the US that have no hospital nearby.

Strange statement for you to make and not factual at all.

Well, can't say I can see how you'd draw that inference, but as fellow/sister Canadian, I have to give you props for standing up for Canada :)

In the province I live in, there are some (key word, as I said in my earlier post) small towns where you'd have to drive an hour or more to get to a hospital. That, to me, is the definition of "not nearby", but YMMV.

When I was on Breakaway in January I was wandering around the ship and found myself in front of the medical center. I took a picture of the sign on the door. Yes, they do not have lots of hours to just walk in for treatment but there are nurses available 24/7, all you need to do is call.

20160110_162946_zpshmmoukwk.jpg

And we wound up in the medical center near the end of our cruise because of a small injury/incident that happened on one of the water slides. It was really nothing, but we were urged to have it checked out. I was quite impressed with the set up in there and I felt that they could easily tend to any need I might have had. (I had just finished chemotherapy 2 weeks before boarding the ship)

We had a similar experience on the Dawn a couple of years ago and NCL could not have done a better job. My husband tripped over a lounge. It was his own fault. Within seconds not only security, a drink server and yes, a couple of wonderful passengers were assisting him. He too hit his head but mostly tore up his arm. He was able to walk on his own. About 3 NCL employees helped him to the medical room. He was xrayed, his wounds cleaned up and discharged. No broken bones thank heavens, but everyday the bandages had to be changed. Everyone was so helpful. In the case of this little old lady I am not quite sure what anyone would have expected NCL to do that was not done.

Edited by newmexicoNita

NCL came with a wheelchair around 10 to 15 minutes after she fell. The fact that an medical emergency was called in and no medical personnel from the ship showed up is pretty lacking on NCL's part.

They weren't first responders working on the ship, they were people who work in the medical community on vacation who jumped in to help. Also only some states require that they help in an accident. Since NCL Gem is not a flagged US ship they probably had no legal duty to do so.

The woman's family asked the security guard to take names and was told that it wasn't needed.

If I were a dispatcher I wouldn't have taken the information from your phone call as a "medical emergency", you didn't say that the passenger needed medical care. No, falling and hitting one's head by itself isn't an emergency. Had you said she was unconcious or that she was seriously bleeding it would have been a different matter. I also agree with others that it wasn't security's place to get names of any witnesses.

Not on NCL but we were on a princess cruise in January and one night my husband saw someone fall on the last few stars coming down from the upper deck to the main deck. He didn't go over as a few employees immediately went to help.

However about 10 min later as we head to the elevator we see someone come out with a wheelchair, first she turns the other way, then my DH stopped for something and she passes us again and asks US which way to the horizon court side of the deck. We pointed her towards the person that fell but were both thinking it was really odd for staff not to know their own ship and rely on guests to give them directions... and it wasn't if we knew where the injured person was she was given directions to the (buffett) side of the deck and didn't know which side that was.

Edit:

Now that I read more posts I will say that the time it took her to arrive wasn't the issue, it was just a fall and she wasn't bleeding or unconcious. She was sitting on the stairs I was kind of surprised that they sent a wheel chair actually. I was more surprised at the lack of knowing where to go on the ship, because had it been a heart attack or stroke those couple of minutes that she spent confused on where to do could have made a difference.

Edited by Kag1526

If I were a dispatcher I wouldn't have taken the information from your phone call as a "medical emergency", you didn't say that the passenger needed medical care. No, falling and hitting one's head by itself isn't an emergency. Had you said she was unconcious or that she was seriously bleeding it would have been a different matter. I also agree with others that it wasn't security's place to get names of any witnesses.

I'm glad you're not a dispatcher.

Typically, in US EMS service, a call to 911 stating "elderly female, fall, striking head" is toned out as a code 3 response.

I'm glad you're not a dispatcher.

Typically, in US EMS service, a call to 911 stating "elderly female, fall, striking head" is toned out as a code 3 response.

Difference between a professional 911 service and someone at guest services answering the phone I guess (or wherever the phone is answered). My point was that there was nothing in the conversation reported by the OP that would make anyone think the person was in need of a full blown Code Alpha response (not sure what training the person receives that takes the calls onboard but I doubt it's as extensive as an entry level 911 dispatcher).

Edited by sparks1093

I believe if this happened on a different cruise line and was reported here, many people would roast the other cruise lines response time and methods.

But since it happened on NCL there seems to be a collective response of :

post-147792-0-37472000-1439642385.jpg

I thought I would share my experience for a different experience. My friend fell on the Dawn in the buffet slipped on water just dropped by the bus boy. Immediately Security was there telling her not to move. Security yelled out her name to find me and her sister as we were already sitting down. The doctor and nurse were called and came immediately. They were professional and concerned. We had heard horror stories on this very sailing of people being hurt and ending up with big bills for medical treatment. They took her to the medical center we both went along. She was in a wheel chair. They did numerous X-rays. Provided a brace for her ankle provided her with pain killers and directed her after giving her a shot of muscle relaxer to stay in the cabin and rest for 5 hrs. They called and checked on her. They sent the head of security to interview us took pictures of area of fall and reviewed security footage. She was not charged anything for all the services. Luckily she was just bruised and strained muscles. Was our last full day. They offered us special assistance to disembark of wheel chair assistance. They could not have done more and we were pleased and grateful. As I said we were told rumors ok people having to pay for wheel chairs and 3k for X-rays. I suspect those individuals were hurt off ship on excursions and not on the ship by dripping water. I had seen the water fall from the bus boys bucket minutes before my friend slipped and fell. I guess it all depends on the personnel and who is running things.

I believe if this happened on a different cruise line and was reported here, many people would roast the other cruise lines response time and methods.

Hahahahaha...So right!!

I'm pretty sure my opinion would be the same, can't speak for others though.;)

Where you live if you called an ambulance would one arrive in under 15 minutes? I have never personally had to call one but I don't think it would in most cases (one showed up for a minor traffic accident but didnt' pay attention to how long it took since no one was injured, the worst damage was a broken headlight).

However from my house the ambulance location is probably 5 minutes away but I live pretty close. There are definitely areas in the town that are 15 min away normally driving and you can't go too much faster even with lights on since the ambulance still has to slow to make corners.

Now in cities you might have more ambulance locations but I also remember being on a highway in DC traveling for work when an ambulance had sirens on and was surprised at the number of people that made no attempt to pull over. traffic was bad at the time and there is no way that ambulance got there in under 15 min.

I thought I would share my experience for a different experience. My friend fell on the Dawn in the buffet slipped on water just dropped by the bus boy. Immediately Security was there telling her not to move. Security yelled out her name to find me and her sister as we were already sitting down. The doctor and nurse were called and came immediately. They were professional and concerned. We had heard horror stories on this very sailing of people being hurt and ending up with big bills for medical treatment. They took her to the medical center we both went along. She was in a wheel chair. They did numerous X-rays. Provided a brace for her ankle provided her with pain killers and directed her after giving her a shot of muscle relaxer to stay in the cabin and rest for 5 hrs. They called and checked on her. They sent the head of security to interview us took pictures of area of fall and reviewed security footage. She was not charged anything for all the services. Luckily she was just bruised and strained muscles. Was our last full day. They offered us special assistance to disembark of wheel chair assistance. They could not have done more and we were pleased and grateful. As I said we were told rumors ok people having to pay for wheel chairs and 3k for X-rays. I suspect those individuals were hurt off ship on excursions and not on the ship by dripping water. I had seen the water fall from the bus boys bucket minutes before my friend slipped and fell. I guess it all depends on the personnel and who is running things.

Exactly and it also depends on the circumstances of the fall

The response from Ncl in your case was spot on as Your friend fell due to water spilled by ships crew

The elderly woman fell on deck by her own accord and there is no mention of an Ncl crew member causing it. Or any mention of her being seriously injured. She was probably more embarrassed than not and I'm actually wondering what the op considers "elderly". I consider 80 elderly but the op might be considering 55 elderly. Lol.

The fact that she hit a lounger is irrelevant as the pool deck is supposed to have loungers and water from the pools is expected.

If she had fallen on deck right after the crew rinsed it down and put the loungers away for the night...AND....there were NO yellow caution signs....Ncl may be responsible but that's not the situation at all with this thread

I'm no Ncl cheerleader btw but I am pragmatic and I believe Ncl handled this situation correctly and compassionately and that probably too many other pax got involved anyway

2 pax at most were needed....1 to call 911 and either a nurse or doctor or just someone to help her up...which family could have gone anyway....but it appeared both were around....so in this case 3 were involved.

Being a frequent cruiser I can certainly understand how the op would connect with the family and suggest they ask about pix

It's very easy to converse with the vast majority of great pax that one undeniably meets on a ship.

Edited by luvtheships

Most ships have a doc... but the last cruise we were on he only had hours from 3pm-6pm.... think about that for a second... Scary, right? I mean, what kind of doc works 3 hours a day, on a cruise ship? What are her credentials? Did she go to medical school in the USA or in some 3rd world country? What is she doing when it's not 3-6pm?

I saw the doc a few times on my cruises, when he got back or was leaving the ship for his 3-6pm shift. Here's a pic of him going off after his shift:

0.jpg

edit; most of the times he would wave too and we would wave back, really friendly guy!

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I saw the doc a few times on my cruises, when he got back or was leaving the ship for his 3-6pm shift. Here's a pic of him going off after his shift:

0.jpg

edit; most of the times he would wave too and we would wave back, really friendly guy!

Huh? This doesn't make any sense. They would have to fly him from port to port just to be shuttled out on a boat for his shift. And how would he get out there on sea days?

0.jpg

So the doctor joins and leaves the ship with the harbor pilot?