Anyone taken diamond princess to south east Asia??? B

portcbob

Hi fellow princess cruisers.

Thinking of taking a 15 nighter on the diamond princess. For those who have done similar cruise, do you recommend it. Is February a good time to cruise this region????. Ship leaves from Singapore and goes to Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. How did you find the ship?????.

Regards bob.

We did the Diamond two yrs. ago out of Japan and yes its a very nice ship. I would recommend it.

Last Feb. we took its sister ship the Sapphire out of Singapore to Brunei, HCMC, Nha Trang, Bangkok, Koh Samui and Sihanoukville (Cambodia). It was a great cruise and the ports are fantastic. It was hot but also dry except for a light rain one day in Singapore.

I say go for it and I can refer you to a wonderful private guide for HCMC who actually I became aware of here from the port boards. He is well reviewed and we organized 11 people from the ship so we met him for a private van tour. We paid like $110.00 for the two of us and this included lunch and VN iced coffee at the Rex hotel downtown which is 5*.

http://www.rexhotelvietnam.com/

We will be on the Diamond Princess from December 27, 2016 to January 17, 2017 (21 days).

The itinerary:

Singapore, Bali (Indonesia), Lombok (Indonesia), Penang (Malaysia), Phuket (Thailand), Langkawi (Malaysia), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Singapore, Nha Trang (Vietnam), Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Sihanoukville (Cambodia), Bangkok (Thailand), Ko Samui (Thailand), Singapore.

Since the Diamond will be replacing the Sapphire in this region, if you want some information on the ports of call from the point of view of cruisers, you can look at the Cruise Reviews for the Sapphire.

Unless you are from India or a place like it, don't drive. It's 3rd world driving in the 3rd wildest places to drive. Hire a driver and car for the day. They drive on the left, sane as OZ, and there are 30 million motorcycles and if you hit one you're going to jail.

Edited by WupperAV

We have a deposit down for April, 2017 for Diamond Princess, Singapore to Tokyo and the weather looks very good for the majority of the cruise with chillier weather only on the last three days before Tokyo. We know someone who worked on Princess and did that route for a few years who told us April was a good choice.

We've just got back from Sydney to Hong Kong on Golden which departed 6th April. It was very hot and humid throughout SE Asia, as expected, but we had very calm seas. We did find the air pollution was a major problem, all the way from Bali onwards. Again we were aware of the potential pollution issue but were hoping that April might have been better - typically it's at its worst from May to November but they must have started the forest burnoffs for palm plantations early this year.

We enjoyed the cruise regardless. Asia is always fascinating, to me.

We've sailed on the Diamond three times and have another 2 cruises booked on her. She is a wonderful ship. We've done Asia on her twice and New Zealand once. Here's a few more things to add to the essentials to take when touring in Thailand and Vietnam in particular.

Bring a small fan. It gets SO hot. On one tour the gift shop at a small museum sold out of souvenir fans to hot sweaty cruisers.

I think someone has already recommended hats and sunscreens, but a folding umbrella wouldn't go astray as well, for both rain and heat.

Be aware of dress restrictions particularly in Thailand. Certain types of clothing are not allowed in some areas. Your tour should explain this, but it is confusing. For example, 3/4 length pants were fine for women, but not full length. I'm still not sure why. They usually have sarongs that can be borrowed if your outfit isn't approved...and yes, they look you over before you can enter some places.

Rest rooms can be primitive. Take either toilet paper or wet wipes. Also hand sanitizer and tissues. Often there is no soap or toilet paper. If you're taking a bag, make sure it is the type you can wear cross body or around your neck as there is often nowhere to hang it when using the rest room.

Be careful crossing the road. As many have said before, the traffic is chaotic!

In complete contrast Japan is very clean. No need to worry about rest rooms there. It's also very safe and the people are very helpful and respectful.

I think the Asia cruises are wonderful because you get to experience such a wonderful array of different cultures.

On the Diamond, make sure you try out the Izumi bath house. Usually on the Asia sailings the inside baths are used naked with women in one section and men in the other. The outside spa area is mixed and clothed. Even if you don't feel comfortable using the inside baths, do try the outside area. You don't have to do the 'naked thing' to use the outside spa. ;)

Finally, the Japanese style toilets on the Diamond. You will never feel the same again. I just wish we could install one in our home here in Australia. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks for these posts. I am booked on the Diamond Princess on a nine-day cruise from Singapore to Malaysia and Thailand in February 2017. This sounds like a good time of the year to visit this region.

Chuck

We are also on an Asian cruise Feb. 08, 2017, on Diamond Princess. I heard that Australian dollars are used on board. Does anyone know if US dollars are also acceptable? Thanks, Nicole

....... The food on Princess tours was great but China Tours drivers were from HELL! 3 near wrecks a and one a wreck where a girl got her glasses broken and a cut on her l eye. They are maroons so fasten your belt.

Did you fill in a Shore Excursion Report? Unfortunately these things happen frequently but the cruise line can do nothing about it unless you tell them. The worst experience we've ever had was on a Princess booked Ho Chi Minh small group tour from the port of Phu My. On the way back the driver was travelling so fast on the freeway, everyone on board was terrified. Many of us reported the company and hopefully something will be done to protect the safety of cruise tour travellers. It's really up to us to make sure the companies offering shore excursions are safe. If you feel uncomfortable, report it to the shore excursions desk in writing.

Edited by wishfulone

My DH and I did the Singapore to Tokyo this April (4/11 departure) on the Diamond. Fantastic cruise. the food in the MDR was consistently excellent. For us it was the best way to see SE Asia. Keep in mind that Singapore is 1 degree north of the equator which means warm and very humid weather. In Singapore and Vietnam they will tell you that they have two seasons - hot and hotter. Great trip and I would recommend it to anyone. Tokyo weather was very pleasant.

We were on a 35 dayer, SIN to YVR with Pia no less.

Here is our joint Live-From:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615221

and here is my review of that cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1641249

Hi! Just read your review and it was very entertaining and informative. You really have a way with words. I spent the afternoon reading it and didn't regret giving up my time at all. Hope to read more of your further adventures. Nicole

• 1 month later...
Hi Cruisers,

I'm heading out on the Diamond for their 16 night Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand cruise march 11, 2017. I'm a novice to that area - what can't I miss?

After two cruises in that part of Asia (Azamara Quest & Diamond Princess) the following were my favourites:

Singapore (your days 1, 6, 17); the "perfect" (to some) city! I would add pre or post cruise days.

Nha Trang, Vietnam (your day 10); interesting cultural visits.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (your day 11); a mix of communism and capitalism! Be ready for a long day!

Bangkok, Thailand (your day 14); after 3 days I did not have enough! (To each his own.) Be ready for a long (full) & tiring day!

Have a nice cruise! :)

Edited by Montrealais

I would stay away from the Diamond Princess in Asia - we have travelled 74 cruises with this company and had the worst cruise with the Diamond Princess - complained to head office about numerous things including danger of people blocking the steps of the theatre so that it could not be evacuated in emergency. Were offered $150 each and when turned this down they were happy that we had decided not to travel with the company again - they were not going to up the offer at all - shocking service from ship and customer relations

I would stay away from the Diamond Princess in Asia - we have travelled 74 cruises with this company and had the worst cruise with the Diamond Princess - complained to head office about numerous things including danger of people blocking the steps of the theatre so that it could not be evacuated in emergency. Were offered $150 each and when turned this down they were happy that we had decided not to travel with the company again - they were not going to up the offer at all - shocking service from ship and customer relations

We too had big issues with the Diamond this year. We love dining in the MDR but the Diamond experience was dreadful from the seating and the waiters to the food. Thank heavens for the beautiful food in the buffet. Forget the Japanese style toilets, this ship has lost its way and has absolutely no personality.

For those who have been on the Asian cruises where Westerners are the minority, what was the food like in the MDR? Was it standard Princess menus, or was the food mostly Asian dishes? Also, did they have trivia? What language was used for the evening entertainment, or was it mostly non-language things (dancers, singers)?

Hi fellow princess cruisers.

Thinking of taking a 15 nighter on the diamond princess. For those who have done similar cruise, do you recommend it. Is February a good time to cruise this region????. Ship leaves from Singapore and goes to Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. How did you find the ship?????.

Regards bob.

My wife and I did a 14 day on the Diamond from Singapore to Yokohama this past April. We did a review of that trip. it is located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2348924

We hope you find it helpful.

We did the Diamond two yrs. ago out of Japan and yes its a very nice ship. I would recommend it.

Last Feb. we took its sister ship the Sapphire out of Singapore to Brunei, HCMC, Nha Trang, Bangkok, Koh Samui and Sihanoukville (Cambodia). It was a great cruise and the ports are fantastic. It was hot but also dry except for a light rain one day in Singapore.

I say go for it and I can refer you to a wonderful private guide for HCMC who actually I became aware of here from the port boards. He is well reviewed and we organized 11 people from the ship so we met him for a private van tour. We paid like $110.00 for the two of us and this included lunch and VN iced coffee at the Rex hotel downtown which is 5*.

http://www.rexhotelvietnam.com/

Hi I would be interested in the details of the guide in HCMC please

For those who have been on the Asian cruises where Westerners are the minority, what was the food like in the MDR? Was it standard Princess menus, or was the food mostly Asian dishes? Also, did they have trivia? What language was used for the evening entertainment, or was it mostly non-language things (dancers, singers)?

The menu was the standard Princess menu with addition of "always available" Asian items like teriyaki chicken. The breakfast dining room menu did not change at all during the 17 days. There was no special daily item like I have seen on other cruises. There was a set Japanese breakfast available.

In the buffet there was a noodle section at lunch and dinner. Noodles were either in hot broth or cold. You can select different items to add like chicken, seaweed, fishcakes, veggies plus many condiments to make your dish spicy.

At lunch there was also make your own vegetarian sushi station. Both noodles and sushi stations were very good and popular with both western and Asian passengers. It was nice to grab a bowl of soup in the afternoon after an excursion and sit outside by the Terrace pool.

All the activities including trivia were conducted in both English and Japanese at the same time. This was one negative of the cruise for me. I attended couple of Japanese craft activities in the beginning of the cruise but found it frustrating and confusing as everything took very long since there were two conversations going on at the same time. I wish they at least separate English and Japanese speakers by tables so each language group could go at their own speed.

The entertainers were mostly production shows and bilingual singers/entertainers. It seemed to me that the Asian passengers really enjoyed the audience participation acts the most. They really liked to be asked to sing, stand up and clap etc. Many of them left in the middle of production shows. Since they were mostly older, I think the American style dancing and singing was not to their liking.

In 2 ports local folkloric groups came onboard and performed a show singing and dancing to traditional Japanese music.

This was definitely a different type of cruise but I still enjoyed it very much and I am planning to do another one next year.

The menu was the standard Princess menu with addition of "always available" Asian items like teriyaki chicken. The breakfast dining room menu did not change at all during the 17 days. There was no special daily item like I have seen on other cruises. There was a set Japanese breakfast available.

In the buffet there was a noodle section at lunch and dinner. Noodles were either in hot broth or cold. You can select different items to add like chicken, seaweed, fishcakes, veggies plus many condiments to make your dish spicy.

At lunch there was also make your own vegetarian sushi station. Both noodles and sushi stations were very good and popular with both western and Asian passengers. It was nice to grab a bowl of soup in the afternoon after an excursion and sit outside by the Terrace pool.

All the activities including trivia were conducted in both English and Japanese at the same time. This was one negative of the cruise for me. I attended couple of Japanese craft activities in the beginning of the cruise but found it frustrating and confusing as everything took very long since there were two conversations going on at the same time. I wish they at least separate English and Japanese speakers by tables so each language group could go at their own speed.

The entertainers were mostly production shows and bilingual singers/entertainers. It seemed to me that the Asian passengers really enjoyed the audience participation acts the most. They really liked to be asked to sing, stand up and clap etc. Many of them left in the middle of production shows. Since they were mostly older, I think the American style dancing and singing was not to their liking.

In 2 ports local folkloric groups came onboard and performed a show singing and dancing to traditional Japanese music.

This was definitely a different type of cruise but I still enjoyed it very much and I am planning to do another one next year.

Thank you very much! That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

• 1 month later...