All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Our daughter (our pod) had us for Christmas bites yesterday. Caprese salad, ahi tuna bites, fabulous shrimp, lobster salad (everyone else had lobster rolls) & her specialty cookies. Les doesn’t share the cookies. We had a lovely day. Melody

0A779C6B-0543-4BC5-94FB-4B368E759655.jpeg

485594BC-FC8D-4445-A584-E21EAD0F5F0C.jpeg

BBCCE1E2-A06F-4B4A-BF4A-0E4E71FB5394.jpeg

B3A7551F-7F87-441E-855F-DC68ECA9D764.jpeg

FFD8D50F-685D-4AF7-94EE-926409061D4F.jpeg

06DB5CD0-F064-4C20-85AC-4AAFDEE1F1C8.jpeg

1666A414-EF22-4CCF-A793-3D713FC14B16.jpeg

67E1D251-C4A9-4364-8A63-8617311D5076.jpeg

Melody, all the food looks great!  I admit that  have not yet developed a taste for uncooked or rare seafood just yet.    Maybe over time!

But I love lobster salad, and the shrimp and caprese salad look wonderful.  

We had a great day yesterday.  It was a bit different for sure, but I enjoyed not rushing around and feeling like I was entertaining.  I love to cook, so the cooking part doesn't bother me, but not worrying if we clean up right away or if there is going to be someone in the group that doesn't like something, etc....that is all good.

I did get a picture or two from Christmas Eve, when we had all sorts of small plate type items and eggnog martinis.  

20201224_170154.thumb.jpg.47815e59e8011292c8057a276a09cdad.jpg

First we had some bread with Hot Tom.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with that, but if you have ever watched Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, they once visited a local restaurant called Pastabilities, and this is his their hot tomato oil for dipping.  Then there are bacon wrapped scallops, brie with this wonderful, warm cranberry-currant-walnut topping.  On the next tray are a few cookies, including chrusciki from Eva's, another DDD restaurant.  I'm Polish, so those hold a dear place in my heart.  Then there is bruchetta, mini sausage meatballs, and crabcakes.

602522324_43324(1).thumb.jpeg.29cd6564fbc8659b749024d482d416f3.jpeg

I loved how we could just graze on everything.  It was an enjoyable evening and we watched White Christmas and It's a Wonderful Life, my all time favorite movie.  I cry every single time.  Actually, I start crying right when it starts, when everyone is praying for George.

I too like the idea of a lumbar pillow or some sort of smaller rectangular pillow for those chairs.  The tufting is beautiful, and it is hidden by the pillows.  Today, I was straightening up in there, and I put them more on an angle off to the side, and "karate chopped" the tops, as my husband says.  Obviously the pillows are too stuffed for that, but I did it to see if putting a down insert in the pillow covers would be a possibility.  If I don't go that route, then I'm going to take the pillow covers apart and make them more like a lumbar pillow.  I don't really want to lose the piping, but the bottom doesn't have piping anyway, as it is where the zipper is.  So I can do this if I want.

We generally put our Christmas decor away right after New Year's, so it will be next weekend.  I am thinking about how exciting it will be to see everything together in the room, and start measuring for a rug.   I'm still amazed at how well the chairs came out.   Right now, things seem a bit awkward because of the round coffee table but I think the size of the table will work nice once the tree is put away.  Right now though, it's kind of in the way.

I am hoping to keep my momentum going on house projects, and I feel pretty confident it will continue.  For starters, I will be seeing the new living room and I need to do the matching drapes for the dining room, since it is really one big, long room.  Secondly, I currently have the Singer table in the den, in front of a bookcase...so yes, I really need to get to work in this room.  I'm a bit nervous about the batten and board thing.  It will look nice, yes, but I foresee two issues.  One, we were going to do it ourselves and you really have to plan it out well when you have windows and doorway and existing moulding to replace or whatever.

The second thing is that it is a compact room, and I really want to be able to see the batten and board.  If you can envision it in your head, there will be a bookcase, desk, chair and a few other things in a small room.  It's an awful lot of work if we are going to end up lining a lot of furniture up against it.   

If we didn't do it, I'm not sure what I would do as far as painting goes.  I had planned on that dark blue at the top third, with the white below.  

I have other issues with the room too, but I'm going to finish the projects first and work on the decluttering of the room first.  This way, I will have a clear understanding of what I need space for and what I don't.  This probably sounds awful to say but it's kind of my room.  I spend a lot of time in the den. I am in here right now.  It is used by no one else.  At all.  Unless they come in to talk to me and use the chair.

All that being said, it houses a lot of things that my husband has had for a long time.  I am respectful of that so I want to make sure we are both happy.  It's nice to have the Singer table already, my desk, curtains and chair.  I am pretty sure I know of one other item that will be going in here.  So it is really about cleaning up the smaller items and all the books and photo albums and just...paper.  And I need to find a way to incorporate a handful of things.

I hope we hear from Sally soon.  I was hoping maybe she would pop in for Christmas.

• Like 1

I'm having a little debate over couch pillows.  I have found a few that I like, and since they are currently on sale, I was thinking now is the time to grab them.  I have it down between two of them.

First, this picks up on the linen type fabric on the chairs, and the linen background of the drapes.  I think they are smart and polished looking, without being fussy.  They would definitely work.  Color wise, they provide contrast with the throw and are still nice and light.

Siscovers Linen Bisque 16" Designer Throw Pillow & Reviews - Pillows - Bed & Bath - Macy's

These here check all the boxes too.  I'm not afraid of having a tonal pattern.  What are your thoughts?  I could always order both and see if I like one better than the other and just return what I don't want.  I didn't really want to have 4 pillows on the couch, but if it looks good, I would do it.  These have a tad more elegance to them, without being stuffy.

Siscovers Pandora 16" Designer Throw Pillow & Reviews - Pillows - Bed & Bath - Macy's

Since I already had them picked out, I feel like it only makes sense to go ahead and order them both and then see what I think when they come in.

Just for reference, the rugs we are looking at (bound carpeting) are a light golden color.  I'm pulling colors from the drapes, but in many ways, there are a lot of neutrals going on so it feels fresh and inviting.  (I think it does, anyway!)

Laurie, I’m looking at those pillows & I'm trying to figure out what’s different between them & the green pillows. When I think of lumbar pillows I think of a round, roll pillow or a longer rectangular pillow. That being said I’d probably like the first one better. Now, what I really want to know is has anyone had a nap on your couch yet?  Melody

I am really touched by everybody caring about me . I have been lurking but not posting . I am going through a serious medical issue but I have tons of support . Haven't been doing much JJill shopping but still doing lots of retail therapy . Thanks everyone for missing me . I will show up occasionally . We had a nice quiet Christmas and best of all my daughter came for a visit right before the holidays and made it back Covid free . I am enjoying reading all the adventures . Laurie , Sorry about your daughter . I hope she spends some time figuring out why she makes some choices .

Anita, I am so sorry this Covid has made it so hard on You & your son . I hope the vaccines are the answer . 

Margaret & Melody , Hope you have great rest of the holiday ! I think 2020 is one year we will be glad to see go. Sorry if I missed anyone !

• Like 1

Sally it's so good to hear from you! I appreciate you touching base in spite of all you are going through because it was disturbing to have you absent with all that's going on. Thinking of you and sending healthy thoughts and hopes that you have a speedy recovery. I am sure having your daughter visit was the best medicine.

1164560661_getwell.thumb.jpg.abf1b89d288cc9269530318f8f9e30de.jpg

• Like 1

Sally!!! So glad you posted. Margaret picked the best word...disturbing...just with life being what it is right now...there’s greater concern when you don’t hear from someone. I know people come and go but right now...it’s just wonderful to hear from you. 

I’m very sorry to hear about medical issues. I hope you are on the road to recovery...glad to hear you have good support.

What a wonderful gift to see your daughter. DS got to be with his flatmate’s family for the holiday. They went to stay with them for several nights...not exactly sure when they’ll go back to their flat. They had a wonderful sounding feast and he even got presents...sounded like he was having a good time. On the “rest” between the “linner” meal and dessert he called. We talked for several hours. I’m so grateful for internet calling!

Here’s a funny...he was happy to spend time away from the nightingales. Apparently north London is filled with nightingales...and they make quite a racket every night. South London has parakeets...not nightingales. 😂 

• Like 1

Sally, I am so, so, so, SO happy to hear from you!  I am sorry that you have been sick, and i hope that you get well soon.  I was very concerned.  We are all friends here, so we've missed you.

Seeing your daughter must have been really nice.  Family has a way of lifting our spirits.

Anita, I am glad your son was able to enjoy Christmas with friends.  And I never knew about the nightingales!  Of course, I can sleep through anything because I take my hearing aid out at night, and I can't pick up any sound at all, lol.  

Melody, no naps on the couch yet, but it is so comfortable.  Regular sized pillows are fine for the couch, but I wouldn't go bigger than 16 inches because the couch is more compact.  The pillows at Macy's are both listed to have zippers, so I think that if I didn't like the way they laid, I could remove some stuffing to give them a more slouchy look.  

I really agree that I need a lumbar style pillow for the chairs.  I mean, I don't have to have pillows on them.  But I think they will look better with pillows, and I'm not going to use those pillows anywhere else.  I want to create that harmony.

Back to speaking about London: they have parakeets?  Like the colorful kind people have as pets?  That must be beautiful.

Sally, please stop back when you are feeling up to it!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 2:49 PM, awhfy said:

Laurie, I’m looking at those pillows & I'm trying to figure out what’s different between them & the green pillows. When I think of lumbar pillows I think of a round, roll pillow or a longer rectangular pillow. That being said I’d probably like the first one better. Now, what I really want to know is has anyone had a nap on your couch yet?  Melody

7 hours ago, laurspag said:

Melody, the pillows I posted are potentially for the couch.  I'm trying to figure how to make the freebie green ones work for the chairs as well, as I love how having that color on the chair harmonizes everything.

Ah, now that makes much more sense to me, I missed the part where you said couch pillows. Either of those pillows would look great on the sofa 

Ok, never knew about outdoor parakeets in London, great article. Anita, I’m so glad you got to interchat with your son & that he had a good Christmas with his flatmate. Always wonderful when roommates actually get along!  Melody

• Like 1

Here is a sweater I got for my birthday. As much as I avoid gray, in this instance it seems ok. IRL it is a bluish gray so perhaps that's why it works.

20201226_161302_resize_97.jpg.8cc3860d124192cffc4751c4b4b071a3.jpg

Today while we were having lunch, I could see an eagle flying down the lake in our direction. So, I grabbed my camera and ran to the window. What a beauty.

IMG_2630CC.jpg.892b2a72e68caa5a35abb448dabc1738.jpg

• Like 1

I love that sweater on you. There are a lotof earthy odors in it so I think it offsets the gray very well.

We have a bald eagle that hangs out in the parking lot of a local mall.  It sure is a weird place for it, but he is there all the time.  I have only seen him from a distance.  They are so majestic, aren't they?

I loved reading about the parakeets.  That must be beautiful to see.

I said birthday, and I meant Christmas. Yeesh.

Laurie, earthy odors lol. Since it's new, it doesn't have those yet. 😆

The first bald eagle I saw here was flying over the grocery store. Gives dumpster diving a new meaning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I've been deep cleaning my kitchen and making lists of things we will need when we go back to our apartment sometime next week. We are tired of the ice and cold and look forward to resuming our daily walks (the roads are still too icy here for walking). Since DH will continue working from home in 2021, we will have the option of coming back to the lake when and if we get some warmer days as he can work anywhere there is good internet. We are supposed to get up to the 50s on Saturday, so we are planning a last hurrah at the firepit with two other couples if it's clear.

If anyone is doing post holiday shopping, Lands End has some good clearance buys.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-print-full-zip-fleece-jacket/id_338326?attributes=567,34943,43307,43326,44256,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-down-winter-puffer-vest-print/id_349396

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-print-quarter-zip-fleece-pullover-top/id_326687?attributes=14948,44256,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-cozy-sherpa-fleece-jacket/id_349512?attributes=13774,44967

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-cozy-sherpa-fleece-teddy-coat/id_349509?attributes=39555

• Like 1

Happy New Year, everyone!  2020 was...something.  While I think we all had some disappointments, I always say to hold on to the good, and let go of the bad.  

So I painted a few rooms and gave them a refresh, I had family heirloom chairs reupholstered, found the perfect couch, and made drapes.  I also started some cleaning/organizing projects.  I spent some time enjoying long rides, one of my favorite things.  I have my health, I have my family.

I don't typically make resolutions for the new year.  I take the approach that when you want to make a change, you should start to work on it.  I don't wait for a specific day of the year.  I just try to plan and ready myself for whatever it is, and then get to work.  One thing about 2020 is that I had in my mind that I was going to make the best of a bad situation, and I did.  It was just different than I was expecting.  I think it was because banking is essential, so I was still getting up and going to work daily, and had some new things such as payment forbearance to work on.  Instead of being home with nothing to do, I was still going to work and then coming home and working remotely.  

So today I am thankful.  Very thankful.  And I continue to plan out my next project and wait for better days for travel and activities outside the home.  

• Like 1

I know i have been very secretive about my illness . Let's just say it was nothing I ever expected and it can not be cured only controlled . It has made me take a long look at life and what matters . It is family, friends , experiences and not things. I have said many times if you want to go on a trip go life changes in a  minute . I am so grateful for all the traveling I have done and all the experiences I have had .I am so grateful for my family especially Gary and my daughter . All in all life is okay I enjoy reading all the adventures and looking at the clothes .I am surprised JJill is not sending me "Where are you cards ". I hope 2021 is a better year .

Sally, you are right - we have to really stop and think about what is important.  While I may be doing things in my house, it is not the possessions that make me happy, but the fun of working on things like the drapes.  I have spent a lot of time over the past few years to try and really put things in perspective.  I have learned to slow down a lot and to really cherish things so much more than in the past.

I am so sorry that you are sick.  I think about you all the time.  

• Like 1