All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie...the carpet is a really good color. Not too light to show everything but not too dark to be too weighty visually...but still more grounding than a lighter color. It seems to coordinate very well. What a deal to find that!

Melody...house prices ARE scary...especially along the front range. I spent some time looking at all the different places that we have lived over the years...looking to see if any of them had online photos for recent listings so I could compare the sizes and features of the rooms...remembering places we had lived before and what had worked so well for us in the past...what didn't work...refreshing my memory to square footage more than anything. One of my fave places for functionality...a 3-bed duplex in Loveland, CO...OMG...the recent sold price for it was pretty insane. Different places have really appreciated over the years...and definitely the I-25 corridor in CO has some pricy pricing.

It one reason why I was so pleased with our FL purchase. Our buying power is reduced significantly because of our back end debt ratio (we've been working on that steadily though) but we were able to make a smart purchase that I still feel good about. It's awful to buy when you don't really want to buy. This isn't the one that redid their kitchen right? That was one of your DDs?

Sally...so glad you are enjoying the home improvement saga...LOL. I don't have much else to talk about and I do still like to talk...

I'm still working the pantry and the yoga room. I finally finished putting up the bullnose corner round on the window. It's requires copious amounts of joint compound to attach the bullnose when you are covering a square corner bead...the challenge is that the joint compound you use is the 45 minute kind that you have to mix up and then use within 45 minutes. It's more like plaster and has a bit of adhesive quality to it. Basically on the experience with the window...we're going to rip out all the old corner bead first and then adjust the dry wall as needed for the bullnose. I still have finishing mud work to do but here's the window...

Before...

0-A747825-4259-45-E0-8120-C931-D974-A3-A

Work in progress...

EDE99-F45-B1-E4-4-EA7-A2-D7-A56348775588

It's a very subtle difference but in the absence of actual trim work around a window...I really like it. With the more stucco look of the skip trowel texture...it's very fitting. I heard it referred to as an adobe look in a video. I'm not sure we would have switched the window over if we didn't have to replace the one rusted out corner bead but I'm so happy we did.

So I'm still working mud...doing tape, inside corners, corner bead, etc... DH is moving on to the hallway bathroom. After much debate we have decided to not rework the plumbing layout and to just update the room...doing things that don't require a permit. The first thing to replace is the bath vanity. It's an odd size...55 inch...and double sinks. After much looking and debate...we settled on and ordered this one:

Annecy+55%2522+Double+Bathroom+Vanity+Se

Annecy+55%2522+Double+Bathroom+Vanity+Se

Making these choices...I'm finding it very helpful to have very specific reasons for our decisions. So this vanity one because the sinks are integrated (easier to clean), single hole faucets (easier to clean), and DRAWERS. Things I like and are happy because the size and features worked...freestanding cabinet (love that look)...wood look (it's engineered eucalyptus) in a medium tone...square sinks. I must admit that I really like the square sinks! LOL. 

We've also finally selected the flooring for the main living area...which we have determined WILL go into the small hall and into this hallway bathroom. It's a concrete look tile in a color called Light Moss. On this sample board, it's the third from the right on the bottom row. On the board, you can see the green influence. 

B5-E03-D74-EA20-41-F3-AFA2-EC7-B62510128

It's available is several different sizes and also has those decorated tiles available. This is how it fits in our color story:

1-DC3-D7-CF-F8-E5-4264-B9-FD-DE4-D3-E952

Here you can see that it looks very brown. This photo is in full sun...the patterned tile is the kitchen floor, the slate mosaic is the kitchen backsplash, the small square is our countertop (also concrete inspired LOL)...the gray/green is the wall color, the white is the kitchen cabinets...and the big brown in the middle is the Light Moss. It reads as a solid but there is a very subtle mottled look to it.

I've spent WAY too much time on Pinterest looking at fun tile patterns. Things like this will be the inspiration for us doing something on the shower surround:

a17a7be1e600a7dcba9a4b8edf77ddd2.jpg

0ff5d9e9763d49bb23499ea9748fb88f.jpg

I don't want to go crazy...but hexagons are an option for the tile...and all those different colors...it will be fun to zone in on just a couple and have a bit of a pattern.

• Like 1

No Anita, DD that did kitchen during pandemic is great. Oldest DD is building a house (after being in their 4 story for 16 years they’re going into a one level with walkout basement (it’ll take 8-9 months to finish, then they’ll sell their existing house. This is only son that is an hour away on 5 acres of land with ranch home & full basement with a large shop/exercise room (big enough for 2 RVs). He’s looking forward to being in town again (& being able to do what he wants)

I love the green (big shock!). I really live your vanity!!!

we’re doe to get our first vaccine tomorrow!  Melody

We took the tile samples back yesterday...and requested a sample of the Light Moss tile. I'm feeling very confident that this is the one BUT I do want to have just the tile itself to put it up against the fireplace and verify what I believe I see with the tile stuck to the middle of the board. And meanwhile...it's time to calculate how much of this tile we will need.

I'm looking at tub to shower conversions. It's pretty straightforward except for the drain. Tubs and showers have different drain sizes and that presents a few challenges with a slab foundation. Basically...all these projects just require time and attention to detail...and maybe some investment in tools. DH doesn't have a problem with that though LOL. 

I received notice that our vanity shipped and so did the faucets I picked out. The vanity should be Feb 17-23. They call when it gets closer to schedule the delivery. I ordered from Wayfair...this is my first Wayfair order.

The faucets are Home Depot. So something I learned is that there is a newer technology for applying metal finishes to faucets called PVD. The process basically merges the finished metal molecules with the faucet metal so that the finish is not just a coating but is actually physically a part of the construction of the faucet. I've seen steel wool tests that are pretty insane showing the durability of the finish. It's supposed to be one of the best finishes for dealing with hard water...which we have in spades here. Regardless...you want a very durable finish on your faucets? Look for a PVD metal finish...it has to be metal...PVD does not work unless the finish is metal.

I am really attracted to the gold finishes and HD had a special buy satin gold finish faucet that I like. So we're giving it a go and see if it looks like I hope in person. The mirrors that I had put on the fireplace mantle for Christmas decorating...those two gold framed mirrors used to hang in my Grandmother's powder room...which was a HUGE two sink room that could almost be called a retiring lady's room. I don't remember if there was a chair in there but there could have been. So it seems doubly fitting that I put these mirrors above the sinks in the guest/hall bath. I hope the gold works together.

While we're at this...I want to change the overhead vanity lights to sconces on either sides of the mirror, which is supposed to be better light for shaving and makeup, etc. I think oiled bronze lighting will complement the golds...and then that will give me options for the shower faucet...which could be golden or bronze. And all that should look pretty nice with the Light Moss tile...at least in my mind's eye, it does.

I got caught up on laundry finally...putting away what I've been wearing...I've been thinking about clothes a lot. A bit of reading yesterday on fashion thoughts and I'm reading about "roaring 20s" in a post-lockdown, shut in world...and the probability of there being some great fun in fashion. Also mentioned was the thought for people wearing much brighter colors...which bodes well for our FIRE friends. The thinking behind that is that people tend to buy more colorful clothing when shopping online because they are very attractive in the digital world...but in person people are attracted to more subtle colors...the blacks, grays, etc. and the thought is that Saturday shopping sprees may be permanently a thing of the past...that the brick and mortar stores will trend into online shopping as they have been to survive worldwide. Along those lines...stretchy fabrics and looser silhouettes would be the order of the day as shopping online for tailored clothing is problematic.

I just think it'll be interesting to see what happens...

I already did a lot of online shopping...or cheap shopping like Target for tanks and tees. My purchase habits haven't been affected too much by COVID...and I have definitely stopped purchasing clothing. My last purchase being a pair of overall Dickies to have for all the mud work and painting. My clothing choices these days could not be called fashion at all LOL.

• Like 1

We had lived in a 2-story dwelling from 2000 until 2017...with one exception...a single level apartment on the third floor with no elevator access...so...dealing with stairs for a long long time. When we moved to the loft conversion in Winston...which had elevator access to our 6th floor apartment...it was our first taste of single story living again in forever...and it was like...not going back to a two-story. That was a major requirement for our home buying...with the possible exception of buying a master down and secondary beds up but we weren't thrilled with that idea...

I never want to say that I'm so sorry someone is going through a divorce...I guess because I understand that there are times when divorce is necessary and ultimately be an improvement. Even if that is the case...still not something you wish anyone had to go through. I do hope that the process is as amicable as it can be and goes smoothly, I guess. I have a good friend going through that right now. And a small shout out to your DD Laurie...hoping all is going well with her and her process.

Read on the other thread that your jab went well Melody...glad to read that.

• Like 1

Hey Laurie...I meant to respond before about your natural product woes. I'm one of those people that really prefer natural products as opposed to manmade chemicals...but being married to DH, a chemical engineer by education has really opened my eyes over the years to "natural"...for instance petroleum products are "natural"...often refined and processed but still, a natural product. Borax is natural and people often tout using it to make a homemade laundry detergent...but Borax is terribly caustic and IIRC it's not legal to use in the EU? Or limited or something? Anyway...point being is that often times, natural products can be very irritating and cause problems...and those problems are the REASON that man went to the lab to try to develop something that would do similar work without the irritation.

Now a whole host of other issues can pop up...but I do know from studying herb usage and being very interested in Traditional Chinese Medicine that natural chemicals are powerful and can definitely have undesirable side effects.

I hope you've gotten yourself sorted. I had really bad dry scalp one year...really bad. During the winter. The only thing that eventually helped was to use coconut oil. It was a MESS...OMG...but I melted a bunch of it and took a bath and slathered the coconut oil all over my scalp like a mask and let it sit there for a long long time. I was slightly concerned over my pipes LOL as I washed it out...but I did it and that did help me tremendously. Coconut oil is has anti-bacterial and anti-viral qualities...so it can help with all the different aspects of what could be causing the dry scalp in the first place as well as soothing the irritation.

I've been doing this odd community thing for one of our lenders. In exchange for participating in several surveys and discussions, I earn points which can be redeemed for gift cards. I was thinking that I would get something practical but DH said I should get something fun...I'm trying to decide what gift card to get. I've earned enough for a $50 gift card now. I saw Ulta on the list and have been thinking about having a $50 shopping spree in Ulta.

I haven't worn any makeup in who knows how long...and all my makeup is old. Some of it is a little sentimental...purchased IN Spain on the one time I went there kind of thing. But I have nail polish from that same trip that is still good...and so I'm seriously contemplating trashing ALL my cosmetics and then doing a fun kind of spree to get some new. OH...you know I just realized that maybe it would be better to do like a Nordstroms? Or Macys? Because then I could get some designer product...though seriously...$50 wouldn't go very far there...hmmmm.

Right now...I'm that person that does NOTHING. I don't even wash my face...I just splash it a bit in the shower or bath. There've been a few times in my life where I have done more...but generally, I find the mess that's created around the sink for washing my face to be extremely annoying...and so I don't bother. LOL. Throughout my life I think about changing that...but nothing really sticks. What to do...

Hi Anita,

I'm still sorting out the scalp issue.  The worst area is around the next area in the back.  I think that is almost always the way, you know?  The area is very warm, so reactions tend to be exemplified a bit.  Also, my hair sets on my neck.  The only time I put my hair in a ponytail or anything is for the gym, and once in a great while when working on things in the house.  So my hair sets against my neck.

I would say the issue isn't an allergy, but my scalp and neck are the only areas affected.  I found out that others in my family also have very sensitive scalps and have to be fussy about what they use for shampoo and conditioner.  My nieces all swear by Shea Moisture, which I have found and purchased.  I have actually used the existing shampoo and conditioner that I think are the culprit about three times since the reaction.  Overall, my scalp/skin isn't liking anythink I use very much but it isn't worse with Hair Food than it is with Shea Moisture.  Still, I think I need to stick with Shea Moisture and see what happens.  It isn't as irritating so that is a start.  Also, since I tend to have skin issues, I already have a running prescription for triamacinalone(not sure if that spelling is right)  so I put some on my neck last night, and it felt sooooo good.  I'm going to do that again shortly.

Here are a few pictures, for reference.

20210201_070824_resized.jpg

20210207_115812_resized - Copy.jpg

I just realized I missed a few posts here that I want to respond to.  Your vanity is really nice, Anita, and I love the ideas that you are discussing.  One of the things my husband and I have been talking about is changing out the fixtures in each of the bathrooms to rubbed bronze.   If we buy everything at once, it really adds up since we even have two glass shelves in the half bath, and then there are two faucets, etc.  It jumps even more when you consider our glass shower doors.

So I was thinking we may do one room at a time, but I want to get everything at once.  My concern is that they may discontinue something.  For example, they didn't have the one and only glass shelf in stock that have oil rubbed bronze with it.  they are back in stock now.  What if I get a faucet, hand towel holder and nothing else, then go back in a few more months and they don't have the rest of the stuff?  

As is, it is hard to find the exact same style in a full set right now.  I have to think about it a bit.

This is generally the time of year when I reassess finances and spending, and plan out the next big purchases and the like.

My daughter is doing well.  She is slowly getting herself in order.  She is working full time right now while living with her cousin.  She is in walking distance of her work and babysitter, which is fabulous.  She really desperately needs a car, so we have stepped in....once again.  We have found an older car that has been well cared for, and she will just need to insure it, do all changes, gas, etc. 

She has never really been good at finances, and her husband handled all the money previously which is why she is really starting with nothing.  She finally go the crib from him so that the little one doesn't have to sleep in the portable playpen now.   She is focused on getting everything in line, and feeling very positive about everything.  I'm working on helping to take her from the dreaming stage to to doing and reality stage.  I hope that makes sense.  She always needs someone to say "what are your plans for achieving that?"

So we are backing away from a financial sense but are still being supportive in other ways. The car is it.  It is very emotional my husband and I right now.  We know we need to let her figure it out on her own.  

We are very excited about our plans for our future, on how we are paying off or mortgage and all that stuff.  We are also very much aware of what we have spent for our daughter in just two years' time, and it astounding, really.  I guess we needed to sit down with pen and paper to realize it.  But love is....love.  No one twisted our arm, we made these choices.

That may have been a bit of an overshare, but you all are my friends and I appreciate the support and advice we give one another.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, laurspag said:

Hi Anita,

I'm still sorting out the scalp issue.  The worst area is around the next area in the back.  I think that is almost always the way, you know?  The area is very warm, so reactions tend to be exemplified a bit.  Also, my hair sets on my neck.  The only time I put my hair in a ponytail or anything is for the gym, and once in a great while when working on things in the house.  So my hair sets against my neck.

I would say the issue isn't an allergy, but my scalp and neck are the only areas affected.  I found out that others in my family also have very sensitive scalps and have to be fussy about what they use for shampoo and conditioner.  My nieces all swear by Shea Moisture, which I have found and purchased.  I have actually used the existing shampoo and conditioner that I think are the culprit about three times since the reaction.  Overall, my scalp/skin isn't liking anythink I use very much but it isn't worse with Hair Food than it is with Shea Moisture.  Still, I think I need to stick with Shea Moisture and see what happens.  It isn't as irritating so that is a start.  Also, since I tend to have skin issues, I already have a running prescription for triamacinalone(not sure if that spelling is right)  so I put some on my neck last night, and it felt sooooo good.  I'm going to do that again shortly.

Here are a few pictures, for reference.

20210201_070824_resized.jpg

20210207_115812_resized - Copy.jpg

I've got the same patches on my neck (at the hair line - no other places on my body)....I've been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis....no cure & really just topicals to calm it down.  Mine started when I was coloring my hair & my scalp really blistered from an ingredient in the dye that it turned out I was allergic to....had laser treatments that didn't help at all, tried different hair products (shampoos, conditioners) & when I (seldom) color it, I use Clairol Beautiful Colors --- semi-permanent color.  Mine itches so I need to refrain from scratching it.

Edited by 57redbird
more info

Anita, I really like your vanity and color choices . I wear make up every day unless I am staying home. It has a sunblock so it protects fro Florida rays . People are always remarking how few wrinkles I have and I think it is due to keeping my face protected . I wear Estee Lauder makeup and clinque lipstick ,mascara & blush.

Laurie , Your neck looks really inflamed . Maybe see a Dermatologist ? I have spent so much on my daughter it is unbelievable . I finally learned to just step away and let her handle it . I also had a hard time accepting that she was not like me .Once I made peace with that things were fine . 

• Like 1

Ouch Laurie...your skin condition does seem a bit more severe than what I was dealing with. There are so many different skin conditions it could be...from the psoriasis to eczema to all sorts of rashes...much of it doesn't seem to have a "cure" so IDK if you care to go to a doctor to be told to calm the inflammation and apply soothing topicals. I know that Aveeno has products that are targeted toward eczema...bath soaks and lotions...Whatever you can do that can help ease that inflammation and be comfortable.

I know what you mean about the fixtures in the bathroom...and I guess it all depends on how concerned you are with everything matching perfectly. Oiled bronzed has been around for a long while and so I think you could definitely find that look over time, but as to the fixtures being perfect matches...well...that would suggest that you need to make the purchase all at once...which OMG is a PRICY proposition.

Did I talk about the faucets I picked out? They arrived yesterday. The description was "satin gold". My plan is to use the vanity mirrors from my Grandmother's home. This is the faucet with the frame of the mirrors:

2-EAA1-CDD-758-C-40-BF-9706-4444-F5-BA0-

It's not a perfect match. The faucets are definitely in the brass scheme with that touch of green in there that you can see more against the gold of the frames...but it does reflect that gold in places and warms up...I like it a lot. It coordinates enough for me...it doesn't clash and that's what I care about more I guess. 

So with this idea...I don't want everything to be this brass/gold look...I'm going to venture into the oiled bronze for the light fixture and the shower faucet. I haven't thought too much about the towel racks, etc., the sellers installed and left some oiled bronze towel bars...I'm not a fan of the towel circles...IDK I find them really annoying I guess...my guys always, always pull out any hand towel and use it that way and then hang it back up...and the circles aren't conducive to that type of use. The best hand towel bar I ever used was actually a single bar paper towel roll holder...the guys would slide the towel off and on and that worked very well.

I do a lot of shopping online. Not just because of the pandemic...I guess I started shopping online when young DS had a wide foot...and the store selection was dismal for youth wides. Over the course of almost 20 years, it was made so clear to me that there were so many more options online...and the online stores have gotten better and better. More recently there is a great trend for home improvement offerings online...so far, I've been very pleased with my shopping for such. Our kitchen tile was ordered from build dot com...they have a good selection...prices vary...they offer the inexpensive builder grade up to designer, but they were a less expensive outlet for the tile...which was WAY more expensive at overstock...like almost twice as much.

Being on the other end of the helping hand...we received help at various time over the years. It was reduced to singular major helps and more recently it has been about helping with trips where Mom and Dad wanted our company and we could go except for the pesky need to be able to pay for it. Lately though we have even been able to handle that more and more. We've been set back over and over again with all the moves...moving isn't cheap. But I know it can add up...we have our thoughts on how we are setting ourselves up for being able to help DS in the future...DS and I have talked about it...and I know that he is actually eager to get out from under our financial support...so I'm hopeful that he can LOL. 

It's full on early spring here...at least as far as gardening goes. We've moved forward with our veggie garden. It's SO make shift...LOL...we bought cinder blocks and bagged soil and build beds. It's been great fun and we have been expanding the beds...we still need another one or two...over the weekend, I was able to plant the veggie starts I had purchased and then some seeds...we filled all the cinder block "pots" I call them and I planted seeds in some of those yesterday. I'm working on making the trellises and such that are needed for the climbers...we have bamboo in our yard and I'm using that to DIY it. My first go yesterday was a bust but I think I've figured out a better way...

I have a plant app that is helping me identify the plants in the yard. It's time for some serious upkeep there...clean up and pruning and cutting back...but some things need to wait until they bloom (the gardenia). I know the rest of the country is in such a cold spell right now...hope everyone is keeping warm and the power stays on with some of the ice storms expected. Our weather is overcast and rainy...when I woke up this more there was a dense fog advisory...98% humidity.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

Anita, You’re in early spring & we’re in the dead of winter 19  this morning but the weekend will be below zero with snow. High is expected to be -5. That’s brisk!  

I wonder if I could find my backsplash at build.com!  

57redbird, you may be right.  My sister had plaque psoriasis and I really think that is what it may be.  Because I started the triamicinolone on it immediately, it is mostly gone right now.  I honestly don't think it was the shampoo.  I'm going to give this a week, and then try the other shampoo again, provided that I don't get a new flare up.

I've had it settled down for a few days, but today it is bothering e a little and I realized that because it was pretty much gone, I stopped using the medicine.  I think it is best to keep using it for a week just to make sure I don't end up going backwards.

It sure is ugly, isn't it?  Lol.  Another reason I was thinking that it is not an allergic reaction is that it all in the neck area, mostly in the back.  I have no reaction on my face at all.  I have patches on my scalp throughout, I just think an allergic shampoo reaction would affect my face, especially because my face is very sensitive.  Your typical eye creams close my eyes right up after about 3 days of usage, even.

Anita, I have a niece that also told me that coconut oil is a great thing to use.  She told me to get it in the food section as it was cheaper than buying the type intended for skin.  I have not looked into that at all, but I will.

I have to use lotion after I shower everyday or I get these patches all over my body as well, but small scale and mostly on the trunk of my body, where body temp is highest. (this is why I have a running prescription)  I use Aveeno, as that is what the dermatologist told me to use years ago.  It's great.  

I just never had it like this and on my scalp and neck so until I really looked at the pictures, I assumed it was my shampoo.  

I bought a few kitchen things from Macy's recently, and I'm waiting for them to come in.  While looking around, I realized that I didn't have a dutch oven and I'm always wishing I had one.  I have a few of the pyrex casserole dishes with glass lids, but I would really like just one nice dutch oven.  Many of them were very expensive, but the Martha Stewart brand seemed well priced.  I am also considering one carried in Target by Cravings (Crissy Tiegen).  It won't be an everyday item, but it will be something I will likely have for a very long time.  Do any of you have one you swear by? 

Melody, they are talking about a possible storm this weekend, but I haven't really looked at the forecast.  We got over a foot last week and it has been very cold.  It is supposed to get colder.

I was just thinking that Margaret got the brunt of the storm that dropped a foot of snow in our area.  I know she was making sure she was stocked up and everything.

• Like 1

Laurie...sounds like you have a handle on your skin situation. Definitely you can just use a good coconut oil from the food section...I didn't even realize that they have any packaged for beauty products. So here's a funny story about coconut oil... So DS is in England, right? So many of the students are international students. He is the only full USA student in his department for his year...there is another with dual citizenship...but anyway, he is good friends with a young lady from the Philippines and she always uses coconut oil on her face...she had never seen solid coconut oil before...really threw her for a loop with her beauty routine.

I haven't used coconut oil a lot as a beauty product...but I have used jojoba oil for my face in the past. I had read somewhere that jojoba oil was chemically very similar to our natural serum and that it is small enough to truly be absorbed. I've used it in the evening before bed before.

I LOVE my LeCreuset Dutch Oven...Love. Love. Love. It's an expensive pot...yessire...but it is wonderful and cooks so well, I use it a lot, even if I don't need to put something in the oven just because it is such a good pot. I also love my two handled pan with a glass lid...oh, I use that one all the time too. So many wonderful colors. I have 3 LeCreuset items and all 3 are different colors. It's just fun to have fun colored cookware!

Our veggie garden is so exciting! So fun to see the seeds germinate and breaking through the soil. My beds are mixes...It more like veggie landscaping than a traditional veggie garden. In one bed, I have broccoli, cauliflower, bush beans, red onion, walla walla onion, two different radishes and snap peas. The other bed has kale, red cabbage, bush beans, beets, and snow peas. I'll be planting more this weekend. A couple more beds will be made too. It's such fun...and slightly addictive. I'm really enjoying it a lot.

• Like 1

I also have a Le Creuset double oven . It was a present over fifty years ago and it is still my go to pot for roasts . We are having our skylight and roof vent replaced today . It started to leak in the last tropical storm .Luckily our neighbor is a builder so he helps us to get reasonable estimates .He also wants to buy our house and hounds us about it . We have two and a half lots on Sarasota Bay .We will eventually sell him the house but not just yet .

• Like 1

Laurie. La Crueset all the way. Spend the extra money get the quality. I’ve had one for many years. When our kids married I gave them La Crueset. I’ve seen it recently on Zulilly at very good prices. Great pans, even heating Melody 

So fun to follow the house projects. I'm mostly doing little fix-its and maintenance. Tomorrow I will climb under the sink and put the new water filters in. Here is a weird story for you... our city water started to smell funny. We were not the only complaint, and apparently it isn't confined to our neighborhood, so our manager did some sleuthing. It turns out that one of the reservoirs our water comes from is drawn down for maintenance this winter, and we are only getting water from the other two. With water levels being lower than normal because of the extra load, and the weeds in them dying with the freeze, we are smelling the organic decay. While they insist the water is safe to drink, I am happy our new filters are arriving today.

My red jjill t-shirt arrived, and Sally is spot on about how silky and comfy it is. It is a true red, not an EARTH red, but as a dark autumn I can swing it. Unfortunately the red tunic was sold out by the time it would have shipped.

Here is a lovely new color from Coldwater Creek... latte. :) How appropriate, Anita!

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/search?q=latte

Lor,i I hope you get your rash sorted out soon. Skin issues are no fun. My skin is so dry this year, and I have no idea why. I use cocoa butter on my feet, and lip balm, and a good hand cream... if only they could invent something for my poor nostrils. 😁

At last we had our car towed away this week. We finally had a day without snow or rain and it was a whole day project. We are waiting to hear if it can be fixed so we can trade it in at the dealership that "fixed" it. So, we still don't have a car, and we aren't quite sure which one we will get yet.

That is pretty chilly, Melody!  We are at 19 degrees at the moment.  We have another storm on the way.  It looks like we may get a foot of snow again.  I really can't fuss...we have not had a bad winter, really.  Most of our snow has been from late January to now.  It was very cold a few days ago, but it has warmed up a bit.

Happy Valentine's Day!  I never used to really like it, but over the past ten years or so, I've grown to love it.  I have much to be thankful for, and I have a family I love very much.  I told my husband that since we were situating our daughter with a car, that we could bypass the fussy things this year, and I was going to make everyone lasagna.  I don't make that a ton, and we all love it.  He then suggested strawberry shortcake for dessert, so that is the plan for today.

Still, he has his own way of doing things.  We were getting groceries earlier in the week, and we noticed that Easter candy was being put out already.  I happen to have a favorite Easter candy, which is Nerds Bumpy Jellybeans.  I have been finding bags since in various parts of the house...cupboard, in my nightstand, here in the den next to my keyboard, etc.  He is so sweet.

Margaret, I hope you are able to get your car situation taken care of soon.  My sister has a Mazda and loves it.  A friend at work also has a Mazda, and another co-worker drives a Toyota Rav.  I think smaller SUVs are a great choice, but it really depends on the person.  I used to have a Compass, and it was perfect.  My current car is a Cherokee, because whenever my husband drove the Compass, it felt a bit small for him.  The Cherokee is a little bigger, so if we are taking my car somewhere, he can drive comfortably.

He has an older Dodge Ram, which has been great because we have been able to get all sorts of things home without delivery charges.  It's the first time he's ever had a truck, and it has worked out very well for us.  It is a 2012 that he bought used a few years ago.  It is a huge pain (pun intended) when we go places where the parking is tight though.

Choosing a car that is right for you is important.

My neck is doing great.  Right now, I am putting the prescription cream on every other day, and it is almost completely gone.  I find on the days in between where I'm not treating it that it feels a bit prickly and warm.  So I am pretty sure it is more of an eczema/psoriasis than an allergic reaction.  That's no surprise based on having the issue before, but I do hope it goes away and stays away for good.   🙂  

You are finding some great things, Margaret.  One thing I am always looking for is good work basic tops that are neutral, yet have enough color to work for me next to my face.  I can find camel and other similar colors in  cardigans, but I what I really need is shells and knit work shirts to wear under the warm cardigans I have in rust, teal, olive, etc.  It seems like I usually end up with ivory, and it just isn't the best color for me.

the latte color looks nice, might be more of a soft autumn color, going into the air category?  What are your thoughts?  I could use something a bit darker and warmer, I think.

Laurie, one thing I like about receiving catalogs in the mail is that I find the print colors to be very true to the items that I have bought IRL. I see such a difference between my laptop and my desktop that I don't trust color on screen, and usually take the color name as a hint. In the case of latte I think it's an EARTH color that if I had to put on a spectrum of taupes would fall on the goldish side and not the grayish. Yet I wouldn't call it a taupe, more a muted, buttery, darker cream. It's pictured in gray and black as well and definitely looks warm next to those two. It appeals to me because I don't look very good in gold and yellow but it seems to fill that slot for me. I haven't ordered it.

I'm glad your neck is feeling better!

We ended up breaking a record held since 1895. Actually got down lower than this!  But we might hit zero today!!tropical heatwave 

we were supposed to be in FL this week getting ready to cruise for 21 nights (Panama Canal & Eastern Caribbean). 😢. Ah well, it is what it is!  Melody

76153E80-9EDA-4925-95F8-152539FA59BF.jpeg

Florida has been chilly but today it is hitting the 80's . We are going out for lunch today since we avoid going out on Valentine's Day . I did get a lovely bunch of flowers .

Margaret , I drive a Rav4 . I love it but then I love Toyota's .I had a Honda CRV but we never bonded 

• Like 1