All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Melody, I sent you an email for that shawl pattern also. Thanks!

Anita, I too think the olive green dress will travel well. One of my thoughts with choosing what to wear on a cruise is sometimes determined by whether or not things are relatively wrinkle free. I HATE wrinkles, they drive me nuts!

The tropical print dress has an odd story to it. I found it online at Dressbarn, but when I checked the store, they didn't have it. So I ordered it. It came in, and was too big so I was returning it to the store, only to find out they just got the dress in. So I exchanged it for a smaller size instead.

I debated and debated over the dress. When you take the colors apart, one by one, there are actually some very good, strong true earth colors in it. Then there are some fire. But because they are all stronger earth tones, the dress comes together rather fire like. That doesn't really stop me, in that there is just no way to find the right style and colors all in one dress, all the time. When it happens, great. But sometimes you have to compromise.

And I wasn't keen on the little bits of black. The zipper detailing is only in the front, and it didn't catch on my hair. Thank goodness!

Somehow, while trying to decide if I wanted to keep it, I put it away in the closet! And you know, you can't wear a dress like that here in the fall or winter. So I realized it was there, tags still on it, and tried it on. It was too big. However, due to the dress styling, I realized I could easily take in the side seams without an issue. It worked perfectly.

I found on my last few cruises that I do like being able to bring something comfortable along. My stomach area still carries some excess baggage, so I don't always feel the best in a fitted dress, especially in humid climates where I retain some extra water.

So my two print dresses are perfect for a cruise. The purple dress has some ruching so that is nice. The other two dresses are fitted, but not tight where I feel self conscious in them. I'm very happy with these.

I was thinking about our discussion on personality types over on the fire thread. I am very particular about prints, and I'm noticing I like border border prints. The maxi and the tropical dress have that. And remember that brown animal print from the last cruise? That as it too. Honestly, I never realized it until now.

I'm having fun with the daytime outfits. I started with three whole pairs of shorts that fit. I ordered three from JCP, then a clearance item from Express, and I'm going to grab that skort from Eddie Bauer once it is officially out on the floor after tonight. Suddenly, I have choices! It feels excessive to me, in a way. The Express shorts weren't even ten dollars, so that was cool. The three from JCP were all on sale for less than $20 with something like 25% or 30% off. So good deals, and I will get plenty of use from them.

I think I will take some photos of a couple of things that I know are definitely going on the cruise later on. I find that there is a bracelet I got in St. Maarten at Orient Beach (I wore clothes, lol) from a pesky seller that seems to make it on my cruises since. It always matches something I'm wearing. And I remember my husband saying to me, "it's pretty, I know you like it. It doesn't cost much, I'll buy it for you." Sentimental value.

I've been to Bermuda twice. Both were 5 days cruises, but we had two full days in port. I love Bermuda, in that it doesn't have a touristy feel. At King's Wharf, they have little shops, and they usually have a whole set up music and vendors the first night. Horseshoe Beach has that wonderful pink sand. No shade though and if it is windy, they won't let you rent an umbrella so you have to think ahead about sunscreen, rash guards, hats. We trekked around on foot to the fort, a lighthouse, and a great area to get sea glass. Another time, we took the ferry to Hamilton and explored the gardens and shops.

Your life sounds very hectic right now. Do you think you'll move to New Jersey before your son graduates? Sometimes, scholarships can be more based on where you apply than where you graduate from.

Even though it is hectic now, in a few years, it will feel like the time flies. My youngest is 24, and she planned a little vacation for NYC. She is there now, and went by herself. Yikes! But she knows a lot of people, and she is independent. Yesterday, she was out and about checking out a nearby park, she's going to a Rangers game with a cousin one day, meeting a friend for dinner tonight, attending church at noon today, etc. I'm so proud of her. Worried too, but that's what moms do. :rolleyes:

The ice got bad here too, but not as bad as Atlanta. Yesterday it hit 60, which is just crazy.

I forgot to post on Margaret going to grad school too, so I'm glad you mentioned that. It must be so exciting.

Did I mention my older daughter went back to school full time? She still works at Eddie Bauer about 30 or more hours a week as an assistant manager though. She's doing well with it, and she's very excited that her field work on Fridays involved real occupational therapy sessions.

I know you will do well, Margaret.

I'm just rambling today, aren't I? I guess the coffee has kicked in!

Happy belated Birthday to Melody and Sally!:D

Margaret, I wish you the best of luck in grad school! It's never too late to get a graduate degree. I know several people that have gone back to school for their MBA and law degrees. All over 40!:eek: I think it's awesome!

Laurie, Again...you have such a great eye for color. I love that green necklace with the green tank top and shorts. Can't wait to see more outfits!!!

My group of friends here in CA and I trekked south to Long Beach today (in a rain storm) to celebrate one of our BFF's 65 birthday. We had a great time. This weekend my niece is coming for a girl's day to show me the table decorations I volunteered to carry to Cancun for her wedding. The DH and I are flying on Southwest Airlines so I'm able to check two pieces of luggage so I offered to do this for her. Then were going to the new Sephora store near me so we can get some makeup for the wedding. We told the DH he's out of the equation but we did tell him he could join us at the end of the day for dinner. LOL!:D

Found out yesterday that my foot is rejecting the titanium (& I thought I was doing great [emoji22]). They'll remove all the hardware on Mar 3d. Good thing our b2b isn't until April 23!!! I'll have time to heal. Pretty bummed, I was up to 4 days in the gym [emoji30]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happy belated birthdays Melody and Sally!

So sorry to hear that the titanium isn't working...Melody, my heart just aches for you to have to deal with your foot issues, especially knowing how it happened in the first place. I do hope you heal quickly from the latest and are able to fully enjoy your cruise.

Laurie...love those shirts. The details remind me of a henley style shirt...having something to break up the area over the girls...I always find details in that location to be especially attractive. The shorts are basic, which is usually the case, something has to be basic, but I really like the pair with the patch pockets. Again...like the top detail...having the seams and lines of the pockets breaks up the space and I do think that look is more flattering than a plain front (at least on me).

Nice jewelry choices too. That is one thing that I would like to figure out for myself. With the Tuttle info, I do understand a bit more about WHY I dislike wearing jewelry so much, in general. Lightweight is absolute key. But I also believe that I am a more casual person...that necklace would make me feel very dressed up. I love the coordination with the olive shirt...and I think it will look lovely on you. I don't look at it and think that it is fancy...it just is too much for me personally, but I wish that I could land on something that would function like that to help me feel like I'm finishing off an outfit with style but still feeling comfortable for me.

Found out yesterday that my foot is rejecting the titanium (& I thought I was doing great [emoji22]). They'll remove all the hardware on Mar 3d. Good thing our b2b isn't until April 23!!! I'll have time to heal. Pretty bummed, I was up to 4 days in the gym [emoji30]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So sorry about the bad news :(

Sorry about the birthday mix up, ladies!

Melody, I'm sorry about your foot. Can they put something other than titanium in there?

Anita, I do love jewelry, no doubt. I happened to see that necklace when I had the shirt out and thought it was a nice look. That being said, I will probably wear a different necklace. I have another one with olive green and gold that would work very well, and doesn't look quite as formal. Well, formal isn't the word I'm looking for, but I think you know what I mean. Overall though, I have a few casual, fun necklaces that would be a better choice, I think.

I often have an idea in mind about how I want an outfit to look. Sometimes I get hung up on something small. Did you notice that the grommets on the olive tank are silver? That drives me nuts, but I can ignore it and make up for it with something else, such as a necklace. But it's hard for me to do.

But I may try on the outfit as a whole, and if I do that, why not try the necklaces on with the outfit? Maybe I'll go back to the original one I posted a picture of. It would sure make up for silver grommets. :D

I just noticed this at Athleta. I did not see this when ordering swimsuits a week or two ago. This is an awesome color, but I don't know about support. I love the back detail, and 23.5" on the length is good with me. I'm short waisted. But the color...OMG.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=213094032

Laurie, wireless & very low cut. I wouldn't wear it for anything active. It is a beautiful color for you. Melody

On the silver grommets on your shirt. I painted an offending buckle (silver) with copper nail polish, came out great

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The low cut part isn't always bad for me but if it doesn't have an underwire, it has to be styled in a way to add support and it isn't. If it gets marked down at some time I might try it because of their good return policy but it isn't likely to be what I need. I just adore the color.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Laurie, that is a really cute swimsuit. Both the orange and the blue are beautiful colors. I've loved all of the outfits you've posted so far.

Melody... so sorry to hear about your foot. So happy to hear you get to keep it. What a shame after all your hard work that they have to come out.

And, a happy belated birthday to the birthday girls!

Well, I have my staff in place and we got our first class under our belts today, so things will be a bit easier going forward now. Between the lack of snow and moderate temperatures, our enrollment is really good this semester. The fun thing is that a local news station is coming to film part of my class tomorrow. I will get my 15 minutes of fame (or more likely 2 minutes). :) OMG! What to wear?!?!? I have so few non-patterned tops.

I just got a new reading chair. I decided I needed one for the spare bedroom because DH is home more and he likes to watch loud TV shows in the living room. I'm so happy... its dark orange! Fun! My nook is calling me!

Margaret, I was liking the blue too. It has a sense of warmth to it. I think it's a good choice for us earth ladies. I always have trouble when it comes to blue, because so much of it is either a cool navy, or more fire like. There isn't a whole lot of earthy blue shades. I think this one does very good though.

The biggest thing for me is obviously the cup size. Those of us in the DD range have a tough time. one thing about the swimsuits from Athleta - they are very supportive, even without an underwire. The fabric is really, really good.

I'm just two weeks away now. I can't believe how quickly the time flies. I plan to definitely finalize my wardrobe this weekend. I'll take more pictures when I do.

My sister is still in rehab for her hip. She really wants to go home, but this one was different than the other surgery. They went in through the back, rather than the side. She had so much deterioration that they had to attach the replacement with wire. She told me today that it was steadily getting worse for a while, but she really wanted to be sure the other hip was strong again. She shouldn't have waited! But she will get better. She just has to be very, very careful for now and not overdo it. Patience in rehab isn't easy. She wants to comforts of home.

On the plus side, her apartment is very easy to get around in. If she leaves the apartment, she has about 5 or 6 stairs and then a landing. Then when she gets outside, there are about 5 stairs down.

How did it go with the local news, Margaret?

Wow did I score big time yesterday! Went to lunch with my cousin (the one that had brain surgery about 1 year ago; she's doing very well now) and then we went to TJ Maxx to get a gift for her daughter's baby shower. I went to the travel section, as I always do, and was digging through a sale box when guess what I found for $12 bucks??? A $50 black, patent-leather, Coach lavaliere!!!:D I'm so excited about it. It was just a lucky find! On one side I can slide my Driver's License behind a clear, plastic window and on the other side there's room for two credit cards. For the trip to Cancun I'll put my room key card in there and our VIP Gold Card (for the resort we're going to which is part of my SIL's timeshare group. We've been going to the one in Cabo for over 20 years now). For a cruise I can put the cabin key card and the ship's charge card in it.

That's my happy news for the day!:D

Can't wait to see more outfits! Loved the color of that swimsuit. The bottom would be too small for my big girl butt!:eek: The top would be great for me though as I'm just a baby "C Cup".

Awesome score, mousey. I'm a big Coach fan. I just replaced my work tote with a brown and black one from the outlet store. I had a friend visiting from Chicago and we did a little shopping. Just a little. Well, maybe more than a little. :)

I was on TV today! I was interviewed about my job and my students on Wednesday. They told me to wear solids, so I wore a brown waterfall jacket-like thing with brown pants, and dark turquoise top. Very EARTH. It is always very shocking to me to see myself on film. The version of me in my head is very different from reality. :eek: Frankly, I was more concerned with not sounding stupid than anything else. The waterfall jacket was a mistake, though. Not flattering at all. I don't want to post the video here on CC. Happy to share by email though.

Laurie, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your final selections. It's fun seeing them with the jewelry and shoes.

I won free tix to the NY Travel Show this weekend. Just a fluke. I think DH is worried it's going to give me more and grander travel ideas than I already have. We'll also get to visit the new and spectacular subway station they built over there for the first time.

I was thinking about Tuttle again today, and some of the other exercises I've done along the way. Each new webside added a different insight that has allowed me to become happier with my clothing choices, and made me much more critical in the fitting room. And a more efficient shopper. Even when I'm looking for work staples, it just seems more fun. But, now I'm thinking there must be something else out there to watch that will help me refine and edit even more. Down the rabbit hole! Do you ever think that?

Speaking of down the rabbit hole, the degree I want to pursue is in linguistics.

I needed to go to work for a while today, but before I left, I got out what I thought I would end up wearing on my cruise. When I got home, there was a big game to watch.

Now that all that is behind me (we won) and I had a chance to look at what I laid out, I decided to stick with it.

Unfortunately, I used my phone for pictures so some of the colors are a bit off. I will try to describe them the best I can.

This is a shot of the outfits together. It really isn't a very good photo. The real life colors are much better than how they ended up.

20170128_141928_zpsxxmnt0mg.jpg

Here are two that you've seen already, but I wanted to re-post:

I like the necklace better. I can also wear one of the same bracelets that I am wearing with the olive green dress since they go together.

20170128_143001_zps8whbpuaw.jpg

20170128_143033_zpspxxc0bu3.jpg

20170128_143045_zpsloqmnvgu.jpg