All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Here's a couple of the formal pictures. I don't normally wear white, but I'm really glad I bought this sparkly jacket (even tho I left "sparkles" in my wake! One little girl at dinner (about 7) asked to be sprinkled with magic dust [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]). Melody 49a2989c867a663c594f3735a52b4ede.jpgee7758b0f8209697dcef4f87360291b2.jpg9177c4a2d673f32ac588d16b79a8672f.jpg4b9abf904529240474d0271345230e31.jpga1c586f1ecc284d294d31a8a03694dd7.jpg8ec418b9cd4bcfc534c30f3cfcff41a2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sally, are you back now too?

I can't wait to hear from you and Melody about your cruises.

I'm getting very excited about mine. We have some excursions picked out, but I haven't officially reserved them yet. I need to.

For St. Kitts, we are doing a rainforest hike. Aruba, I'm looking at a sunset cruise, Curacao, we are going to explore on our own. As of right now, we are trying to plan a beach of some sort in St. Thomas. RCI offers an excursion to Abi Beach, but I can't seem to find much information. There are other beaches, but I'm having trouble choosing. Shade, loungers and bathrooms are on the priority list, and really, I think we need access to food and drink too while we are there. Any suggestions???

We are also doing the wine tasting again on this cruise. That was so much fun during our last trip. I loved it. I think I posted a picture, didn't I? If not, let me know. I'll post it again. I loved how they talked about the wine, and how we paired them with different cheeses and fruits.

The are offering a specialty coffee these days. I really don't care for Starbucks, but I love Cafe Lattetudes. The card is worth the money. We are on a seven day cruise, and it covers 15 coffee drinks. I always have one in the morning, sometimes 2. But I did the math and even if I don't drink all 15, it's cheaper than buying them individually. I don't think I'm getting the drink package this time, as this cruise will be a bit more port intensive. I do drink more on a cruise, but based on the cost per day, I don't know...I am still trying to decide. The deluxe drink package includes the coffee so my last cruise was pretty much break even.

If I wasn't close, I would say why waste the money? I'm close to borderline. I think a lot depends on how much I do off the ship. With Aruba, for example we are there from early until late. I could not decide what to do. I have thought that maybe I should look for a beach for that day, and I can still do the sunset cruise if I want. Then for St. Thomas, maybe I should look at going to St. Johns.

One of these days, I will learn to snorkel. We aren't the best swimmers, so I don't usually venture far into the water even though I love it. I just wasn't sure what else to do in St. Thomas?

Laurie, try Mambo Beach in Curaçao, you can take the bus there (or a cab). It's a gorgeous beach with all the amenities (including a shopping mall at the top of the road). There's also Cos Abao Beach, a 45 minute bus ride from the port; I have some amazing coral pieces from there. St Thomas, if you haven't been before, tour the island & combine with some incredible jewelry buys (most of the tours include a 2 hour shopping session). Or take a ship tour over to St John's, that's gorgeous. Melody

We returned last night after a very very long flight . We had a great time and loved Spain . The Freedom of the seas was nice but some of their facilities are way too small for all the people .The Promenade Cafe was packed every day and the few sandwiches they offered were not great . They needed to have a place beside the Windjammer for salads and nicer sandwiches . The crew were all great and helpful .The entertainment was very good and they added extra since it was too cold to be outside .My mix and match wardrobe worked great . The only thing I would have eliminated is a few of tops and one of my dresses . In the mornings it seemed like half the women were in active wear . I was so glad I packed some . They worked out perfectly for casual mornings . We were at sea for nine days before hitting Portugal .It was not boring I got into a routine of eating ,reading ,trivia and a nap .We met a lot of nice people . The average age on the cruise was late 50's ,60's and 70's .There were only a handful of children . Spain was much less expensive than I had thought . Our dinner bills with wine and a beer usually ran about $14 euros and a very nice seafood dinner with wine and beer was under $20 euros.Plus there was very little tipping so my money went forever .The people in Barcelona were all very helpful and we never felt unsafe but we did not stay out late . Barcelona is beautiful with all the architecture . All in all I would consider another transatlantic someday .

I'm hoping both of you will be sharing pictures! And details. It sounds like you both had a great time, from what you've mentioned so far.

Melody, thank you for the ideas. I'm still very not sure what I want to do where, other than St. Kitts. I don't really shop in ports very often. I usually look for history, good local restaurants, or maybe some beach time. Ideally, between all the ports, we will have covered our different interests. We like being active, but we usually like to have one day that really allows us to relax. When we were at Nachi Cocum the last cruise, we were in and out of the water a lot. I also did quite a bit of reading. Sometimes, I just want to clear my head and relax and watch the water.

We did that at Labadee last year too, the time we had that beach bed.

I was floating around and came across this. I think it is beautiful, but too expensive. I did some googling, and didn't find it cheaper any place else. That happens, you know? Maybe it will go on sale some day, but it has a ways to go before it is in my price range.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/natalie-floral-lace-dress?site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA&gclid=CObBmN7h7dMCFUtYDQodDcMARg&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's fun to see what is out there though.

It's funny how much thinking I am doing about what to wear on my cruise, and we have 3 1/2 months, roughly. I enjoy the planning so much.

We are getting very excited about Boston too. It's a pretty long drive, but we will make that into a fun adventure as well. I am thinking that since the ride down is about 5 hours, we will probably leave early morning, but not super early - around 8 or 9. We can get down there, get checked in to the hotel and do some exploring. The next day, we can do some more exploring, as I believe it is an evening game. I've been told that the train is right across the street from the hotel, and it's an easy way to travel to and from the game. Has anyone else done this? The Sunday is our ride home.

For each ride, my focus will be on comfortable clothing. The game will obviously consist of Red Sox attire, Otherwise, I am thinking casual and comfy, but still looking kind of...smart? Not sloppy, I guess I"m trying to say. An example would be like some of my sea day outfits with a skort and nice top, or something like this:

IMG_4357_zps12sirhtb.jpg

Sometimes though, we like to make a statement on where we are from, so Syracuse attire could make it into the mix as well. We'll see!

And the funniest thing happened today when I was at lunch with my daughter. I got proofed. I told the waiter I was sure he was just boosting my ego, but that I appreciated it. :'):')

Laurie, MBTA (the train) is the only way to get to the game, parking is insane. Your hotel will have detailed instructions on which line & which stop to take. Of course, just following everyone in Red Sox gear will probably work too! First night, wander into the North End for really outstanding Italian food (& Modern Pastry for incredible pastry) or wander over to Faneuil Hall for seafood at No Name Restaurant & have a beer at Cheers.

St Kitts, I'd not miss the Fort,its a world heritage site & beautiful for photos.

Melody

Welcome back Sally and Melody. It sounds like you both had wonderful cruises, and it's been fun to follow along.

I haven't had anything EARTHy or fashion-related to add lately. I'm just trying to get through my new routine: it has been trying to say the least. DH has had business in the city and with only one car, the juggling is ridiculous. Our current solution is to hotel it one night per week so DH gets two days to have meetings in NY, and I take the bus the other two days. The bus doesn't save me time but at least I get to read and sleep during the drive.

Here is my current inspiration photo for my new living room. We will have dark wood floors and creamy walls, and I want a leather sofa (cat-proof), and I may have already picked out some chairs. We have a wood buffet that is more Asian-inspired than the one in the photo, and I would want a more modern coffee table, though I like the gold/brass. I can't get Photobucket to work today, so I had to crop the photo mercilessly, unfortunately.

Here is an Alexander Wang dress that I've fallen in love with, but at $450? The photo from Vogue (with the B&W outfit) was so gorgeous.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/T-by-Alexander-Wang-Stretch-Crepe-Cold-Shoulder-Midi-Dress-Scarlet/prod197950491/p.prod?ecid=NMCS__GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=NMCS__GooglePLA

livingroom.jpg.e647537fe521693c61568fe3c19d2d4a.jpg

Love the chair Margaret, but I'd have to have rolled arms on the sofa (the better for taking naps!). How much longer are you going to be doing the commuting thing? Melody

Love the chair Margaret, but I'd have to have rolled arms on the sofa (the better for taking naps!). How much longer are you going to be doing the commuting thing? Melody

I agree about rolled arms, but they are more bulky than other options, both visually and size-wise. Our living room is apartment-sized so I do have to consider how big things are and how to create the illusion of more space than we actually have. Not to mention that DH is a big guy and he needs room to move around without banging into things.

I'm going to be commuting until June 8th, then I'll just be going in for the weekly job meeting on the apartment, plus furniture shopping and doctor visits and whatnot that I can schedule when convenient. It's the rush hour travel that is so horrible.

I got PB to work so here is a better photo (it's from Elle Décor).

8ab47e7d-cc3e-4cc8-a983-f054b2a1be4b.jpg

I've been looking through my idea book and there's been a clear theme from the beginning that I'm attracted to a beige color scheme with interest coming through the textures and shapes, plus a pop of color in a few accessories. I did that without realizing it here at the lake in our den/tv room which is tan with a mostly-orange painting and pillows, and it's one of my favorite rooms. I also have a few outfits in that color scheme, so it clearly appeals to me! Since I get bored with things, I like the idea that the substantial pieces are neutral, but I can change out pillows and rugs and get a different look without a major investment.

I love that rug, but between the cat and the NYC dirt, I can't see myself investing in anything very expensive for the floors.

I also really like the barrel chair, but I think I'm going get this more cat-friendly option and add orange or red pillows for the backs:

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/ankara-truffle-frame-chair-with-fabric-cushion/s320361

I do like the tufted back of the leather sofa, but we really would like a more padded arm and three-seat cushions. It is in the color range that I like, though. And I'd like to have a bench or chaise for more seating. You might be able to guess that I love those teal pillows!

I also like the idea of a nesting coffee table like this that we can pull out when we have guests:

http://www.mgbwhome.com/astor-nesting-cocktail-table/11006-CTB.html?cgid=Coffee-and-Cocktail-Tables#prefn1=collection_item_only&prefv1=false&start=3

In all I'd like a warm, EARTH-friendly palette with more modern shapes. I have an old issue of a magazine with a cover story called "soft modern" that really guided me through our lake house renovation, and it's a style that really suits us and is very restful.

Margaret , I love the living room . We have dark hardwood floors with area rugs . The good thing about area rugs is you can change them easily . I bought mine on Wayfair.com .My living room is similar but in lighter colors since we live in Florida . I bought a couch made with Sunbrella fabric since everything fades in Florida . My color palette for the living room is white , blue and light orange . I fell in love with a throw pillow and bought furniture to match it . Your commute sounds awful but you will love your new apartment when it is finished.

Remodeling is one of those things. You have to keep your eye in the prize. One more month isn't so bad. That's a tough commute though.

That is a nice concept for your living room. It's clean, classic and modern all rolled into one!

I posted a picture of my family room a few months back. Not sure if I ever posted one of my living room? I think it's fun to see the different styles each of us likes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Laurie, what a nice comfy room!

I'll write about our trip next week. This week is full of graduation & state track finals, busy & fun! This is our graduate in the dress I picked out for her Melody72432aa81380919f51d20941e72eb689.jpg

Laurie, what a nice comfy room!

I'll write about our trip next week. This week is full of graduation & state track finals, busy & fun! This is our graduate in the dress I picked out for her Melody72432aa81380919f51d20941e72eb689.jpg

Very pretty dress and girl! Enjoy all the fun activities.

The living room discussion is right up my alley these days...

I'm deep in the throws of figuring out what will be moving to North Carolina and what will be sold/donated/tossed. For everything...we are downsizing from a 2500+ sq ft 4-bedroom with full basement suburban home to a 2-bedroom with office downtown loft!! Very exciting times!! BUT...much work to be sorting through all the possessions.

I did the garage sale and am overall happy with that first wave. I didn't sell everything...ended up with two bigger ticket items on Craigslist and sold those quickly.

How to deal with everything is something that I think about daily...but now I'm focused on the end of the school year and our trip north to move DH out of the PA apt...and our play tourist in NYC/Philly.

Margaret...still working on our itinerary...I'll be in touch soon regarding definite plans for us to meet up. That's still high on my list and I think we are flexible enough to make it happen...

Meanwhile...I have 3 milestones...3 ticketed events to build our fun vacay around...

1. We are going to Giselle at the Met. It's a ballet...I literally have never heard of it before...but I am beyond excited because the showing that I wanted has Misty Copeland as the principal!!! I asked DS what he was most interested in doing...and the Met was high on his list.

2. We are going to Chicago the Musical. This will be beyond interesting for me because I actually saw Chicago on the Allure on the TA with Mom and Dad. There's a lot of talk about the authenticity of the cruise productions...so I will get a first hand comparison.

It was a difficult decision...picking out which Broadway musical to see. For one, several were just not affordable. But then, still, the choices are too much. Ultimately, when DS and spoke, I said...let's think about it like this...what would be fun to say was our FIRST Broadway musical? Because the Chorus spring field trip was to Chicago last month...well...it seemed a fun thing to say about 2017.

Also...Chicago has been running for so long...I could get great seats with just a few weeks out...and the prices were really reasonable all things considered. In the future though...we need to remember the corporate discount DH can get to such things...too late! ACK...we missed out on saving a bunch. Ah well. Note to self...

3. Philly Pops...there's a free concert happening that you just reserve seats and then first come first served...

We will also be touring Princeton, Julliard, and plan to go to the Chinese Lantern fest in Philly. Which should combine well with seeing the Liberty Bell and Constitution Hall, I think?

Should be a busy week or so! We leave next Wednesday!

And we'll be driving home with a trailer...

And we move to Winston in July. We haven't firmed up the move in date yet...there's a bit of leeway that can happen so we have a range...July 7 to July 12. It's all fine.

Our big 20th anniversary is July 5...so debating what to do about that...

We'll be having a big farewell bash in June sometime I think.

Several concerts this summer...we are big on the concert front. The guys went to a huge metal festival in Charlotte call the Carolina Rebellion...so many bands. And recently we've seen the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Lumineers, Kaleo, Kings of Leon, Unlikely Candidates...and we have plans to see Dead and Company, Metallica, and Incubus (and Lion of Judah opens for them which seems odd, but I'm pretty excited for them...).

Meanwhile...tomorrow is the EOY Chorus Banquet and this weekend are two graduation parties and the EOY Theater Banquet. The Theater banquet is semi-formal...I've decided to wear that blue Chico's dress...not sure about what to wear to the Chorus one yet.

It's fun to read about the cruises...Sally and Melody. Sounds like you both had a lovely time! I would love to go on a cruise...I was that tempted to book a 2018 Spring Break one...a great price on Oasis...but there's just no way really to deal with that expense this year...and I wasn't as excited about the available cabins for the same cruise in 2019.

I have to agree about the rolled arms on the sofa. Did you think leather was cat friendly Margaret? I don't. We tried that once and even though the cats didn't scratch when they would run around and seek purchase on the cushions they punctured the leather...

I love my apt sized couch...It has 3 cushions, like you said Margaret and it's really worth holding out until you can find one that does. It was a search. The couch is only 76" long with 3 cushions. It'll be in the loft living area...it made the cut. It's velvet...upholstery velvet anyway...very similar to a microfiber, which I have found to be the BEST couch surface over the years...at least for looking like new after years of cats and kids...

Anita , You have a lot on your plate .I can not imagine moving as often as you do and you seem to just go with the flow . I would be crazy . I saw Chicago on Broadway many years ago . It was fabulous . After seeing it I thought the movie version was a real let down.

We had a great time in Barcelona . Desigual was right next to our hotel so of course I visited it . I bought a top and a wallet . They were so nice I could have bought everything but it is so trendy .

Anita, glad you're mixing fun stuff in with your move. Having something that you're really looking forward to makes the chore of moving (& it is a chore) easier.

Giselle is one of my favorite ballets & double bonus of Misty Copeland!

I agree with Sally completely, after seeing the stage production of Chicago the movie just didn't cut it.

Today is our oldest granddaughter's high school graduation (@ 2). She's running in the state track meet (relay, 4x200) this morning (@ 9), hope she makes graduation, it's a 2 hr drive & of course it is absolutely pouring out. Should be an interesting day. We were going to BBQ at our daughter's tonight, but she opted to let Noodles & Co cater. Price wise almost exactly same cost. Mm, mac & cheese in my future... I'll be back with pictures. Melody

i can't even begin to relate to your posting, Melody. I'm sitting in the house kind of grateful for a small temperature drop as the ceiling fans are going full speed. Getting ready to plant my color spots for the outside pots. Can no longer eat outside as it's just beyond warm.....