South Pacific in Winter?

Lees75

The P&O cruise on Pacific Jewel in July looks like a decent deal at the moment. Is it worth going in July? Is it warm enough to swim/snorkel? Are the pools on the ship heated so that the kids can swim on sea days? Pros and cons of going in July?

Hi, we've been away in June and July on cruises. Temperature on the islands is nice, mid to high 20s, definitely warm enough to swim and snorkel. However, personally I'd never go on a cruise in cold and flu season again because I got really sick with the flu on both cruises.

I am from Qld and on the couple of cruises I have done in Winter, much too cold for me to swim. However I have been on the beach on Gold Coast walking with a coat on and I have seen people from southern states swimming, what you get used to. Generally quite cool and windy on deck as well. There are other things you can do at ports other than snorkelling etc.

I haven't cruised in the winter but I have been to Fiji in June, it was great weather and we swam the whole time. I would agree with other posters in that I would hesitate to be on a cruise ship in Flu season although it probably depends on if you are susceptible to colds and flu and if you get an annual flu shot

The P&O cruise on Pacific Jewel in July looks like a decent deal at the moment. Is it worth going in July? Is it warm enough to swim/snorkel? Are the pools on the ship heated so that the kids can swim on sea days? Pros and cons of going in July?

We went to Fiji in February and found it a bit too warm and humid for activities other than swimming and snorkelling.

We have been in the winter and found it warm enough for swimming and is better for other activities, it is also a bonus to sail into warmer weather and escape the cold in Sydney, the only downside is the first and last sea days are cold.

Edited by sun-set

We went to Fiji in February and found it a bit too warm and humid for activities other than swimming and snorkelling.

We have been in the winter and found it warm enough for swimming and is better for other activities, it is also a bonus to sail into warmer weather and escape the cold in Sydney, the only downside is the first and last sea days are cold.

I agree, the weather in the islands will be better as well as it is the dry season so less humidity.

I think there's a good reason why Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruises don't cruise Australian waters in the winter time. & as the other poster said, high chances of getting sick.

Or because they are short on ships and need them in the North for the Summer Season there.

I think there's a good reason why Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Cruises don't cruise Australian waters in the winter time. & as the other poster said, high chances of getting sick.

Because the ships have to service the summer season in the Northern Hemisphere.

Have done 2 in June and 1 in December. The December one was great weather, BUT was humid and muggy.

The 2 in June were fantastic. The weather was perfect, shorts and singlets on the islands, swimming all day. On board the kids were on the slides and pools, even had night swims. We may have just got lucky as both times the weather was beautiful in Sydney the day we got on.....so much so we had bathers in the carry on bags and they were on the slides!!!! (Western Staters, so no we are not from the cold regions!)

The only difference I felt was I needed a light cardigan once nightfall hit.

I put a hold on a room last night, but was nearly convinced to let it go. Now, I feel like I am being talked back in to it again :)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Welcome to CC.

Dont let people talk you out of this cruise. Check out a map of the world. Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Fiji etc are all located in tropical latitudes. The same as Cairns. Many of us travel to Cairns at that time because the weather is so much more stable and not so dammed hot.

Yes it will be chilly sailing out of Sydney on the first day - so what, go enjoy the ship. Even in summer it is windy etc out on deck when the ship is moving - not hard to work out why.

Many on here including me wish that the other lines woukd have a ship here during winter to sail out of Darwin, say.

My first cruise was to New Caledonia at the end of July and the weather for the islands was wonderful- definitely warm enough to swim/snorkel for me (being from VIC, it was lovely weather!).

Next cruise is with P&O on the Pacific Jewel to QLD (Great Barrier Reef) at the end of June this year and I'm hoping being up north it will be nice and warm (compared to VIC for that time of year!).

• 2 months later...
Are the pools on the ship heated on PJ

Only the hot tubs if you are lucky enough to get in one thats vacant.

Re the flu, lock yourself in your cabin and get room service :D

Edited by 6666oz