Carnival Cruise Line Delays China Deployment

LauraS

Congrats jimbo on the new qoute. I still dont see the carnival fun ship fitting in with Chinese culture, but i guess it will be wait and see.

LOL, thanks..... I am sure I culd have been quoted on worse statements I have made here:eek:. I believe our very informed friend chengkp75 to be correct. It seems like the prudent thing to do right now.

Princess has had a ship in the China market for at least a year or more now and is bringing a new ship there this year. Costa is also sending a ship to China this year.

Since they are under the Carnival umbrella, perhaps Carnival does not want to compete with them yet until they can see that there is a real need for ships to enter the China market.

It seems like Carnival is taking the same approach as it is in Europe. They have so many brands there that they sure staying away and concentrating on the Caribbean market during the summer while the other brands go there.

Princess has had a ship in the China market for at least a year or more now and is bringing a new ship there this year. Costa is also sending a ship to China this year.

Since they are under the Carnival umbrella, perhaps Carnival does not want to compete with them yet until they can see that there is a real need for ships to enter the China market.

It seems like Carnival is taking the same approach as it is in Europe. They have so many brands there that they sure staying away and concentrating on the Caribbean market during the summer while the other brands go there.

That has been their approach in the past. Then they looked like they would deviate, now they are backing off some. Makes you wonder why.

That has been their approach in the past. Then they looked like they would deviate, now they are backing off some. Makes you wonder why.

I agree. Competing with yourself can cause headaches (see GM).

I'm still not sure that Carnival would really be a good fit for the region. I just don't see the Chinese being particularly interested in Carnival ships and their offerings. Could you imagine sending Carnival Valor over there? haha. I think CCL might have better success with South Korea or even Japan over China.

Thinking about Chinese coming over here, I have noticed in John Heald's "who's sailing with us posts" that there have been very little, if no Chinese guests on ships in the caribbean. Other Asian countries have had more attendance.

I agree. Competing with yourself can cause headaches (see GM).

I'm still not sure that Carnival would really be a good fit for the region. I just don't see the Chinese being particularly interested in Carnival ships and their offerings. Could you imagine sending Carnival Valor over there? haha. I think CCL might have better success with South Korea or even Japan over China.

Thinking about Chinese coming over here, I have noticed in John Heald's "who's sailing with us posts" that there have been very little, if no Chinese guests on ships in the caribbean. Other Asian countries have had more attendance.

There are many Chinese sailing on Carnival out of Long Beach. Mainly on the Inspiration and Imagination.

The Carnival Corporation has made a deal with the Chinese to build their own ships for the Chinese market.

Perhaps they are waiting to see how that turns out before sending old ships there??

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-forms-joint-venture-in-china-to-launch-domestic-chinese-cruise-brand-300163929.html

The Carnival Corporation has made a deal with the Chinese to build their own ships for the Chinese market.

Perhaps they are waiting to see how that turns out before sending old ships there??

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-forms-joint-venture-in-china-to-launch-domestic-chinese-cruise-brand-300163929.html

I doubt you will see any of those in the timeframe we are talking about.